Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  16:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roomloo, add me to the list for 2. I was fortunate but 2 of my best friends were not. I'll post later about my freakin' crazy morning.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  16:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your story has anything to do with TM being a stinking piece of poo during the first two minutes of a sale, I'm right with you jack.

You were already on the list ... just needed a quantity.

By the way, we're returning to critical mass as far as the need / have ratio. A few people have come out of the woodwork confirming a need, hopefully some of those unconfirmed with extras will come forward and not pull a Liffey.
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  16:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 4 extras
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  16:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed Budd, you are the man!!

We're back in good shape now.
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  16:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Places to meet in Winnepeg:

Place Votes
1) The Albert (smoking allowed???)....................................7

2) Mother Tucker's Restaurant (Mexican)............................0

3) King's Head Pub (Members Only.....................................1

4) Tre Visi (Italian).........................................................0

5) Grapes.....................................................................0

6) Shooters Billiard Lounge...............................................0

7) Earl's on Main ...........................................................1

9) Bar Italia .................................................................1

Cast your votes!

Edited by - EdBudd on 02/21/2004 17:10:40
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  17:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's confirmed that there is no smoking indoors anywhere in Winnipeg, but I put down a vote for the Albert. I don't smoke anyway :)
Go to Top of Page

jvince
- FB Fan -

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  17:10:36  Show Profile  Click to see jvince's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know I suggested Grapes and Shooters, but who can turn down a pre-drinking session listening to all Pixies music with a group of Pixies fans. My vote's for the Albert. Sidenote: I remember reading in the WPG Free Press there was a gang-related driveby at Bar Italia a few weeks ago (I've never been there but it already sounds sketch).
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  17:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard that there were mass homicides at every bar except the Albert so we should all go there.
Go to Top of Page

ziggy_stardust
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  17:24:48  Show Profile  Click to see ziggy_stardust's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well it is the murder capital of canada so watch your back wherever you go lol
Go to Top of Page

RussT
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  18:08:38  Show Profile  Click to see RussT's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cross off the Mexican place (Mother Tucker's). It's closed AGAIN. As for smoking, there is nowhere indoors (public, anyway) that one can smoke anywhere within the City limits. Has been that way for a year or so now.

quote:
Originally posted by EdBudd

Places to meet in Winnepeg:

Place Votes
1) The Albert (smoking allowed???)....................................7

2) Mother Tucker's Restaurant (Mexican)............................0

3) King's Head Pub (Members Only.....................................1

4) Tre Visi (Italian).........................................................0

5) Grapes.....................................................................0

6) Shooters Billiard Lounge...............................................0

7) Earl's on Main ...........................................................1

9) Bar Italia .................................................................1

Cast your votes!

Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  18:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check ticketmaster occasionally, tickets pop up again for several reasons. The Albert is great but they did have a little dismemberment issue a year or so ago.
Go to Top of Page

Kyle
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  18:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had forgot all about the albert. I haven't been there since they got rid of draft night. I think it either has to be the Kings head or the Ablert. Bar italia is to far away. But perfectly safe! (It was hardly a drive by shooting...I'm going there tonight). Grapes and earls are OK but a bit far. We should go to the Kings Head (For food+drinks)before and the Albert (drinks) after. It is member only but the membership is 5 nad you can get 4 people in with it. And they only check for memberships on friday and saturday nights.

And yes Winnipeg is the Murder Capital of Canada!
Go to Top of Page

deaddack
- FB Fan -

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  18:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually dident the the albert have a murder there not to long ago, i think they said they cut him in pieces and stuff.
or it was by the albert (can't remember). i like the albert spent my 18th birthday there watching Big Drill Car, not that you needed id back then.
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  18:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad it didn't deter those out of town ticket sales.

/Joking
Go to Top of Page

RussT
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  19:33:24  Show Profile  Click to see RussT's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Actually, it was a complete dismemberment of some poor sod. And the funny thing is that they found these body pieces along with Susan Sarandon's jewelry (she was shooting a movie here at the time). I think she did it!

quote:
Originally posted by deaddack

actually dident the the albert have a murder there not to long ago, i think they said they cut him in pieces and stuff.
or it was by the albert (can't remember). i like the albert spent my 18th birthday there watching Big Drill Car, not that you needed id back then.

Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  19:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone is here on the 13th the UK SUBS are playing at the Albert.
I just thought it would be appropriate to mention that I am in no way affiliated with the Albert. I'm just way too hyped about this reunion.
Go to Top of Page

bayzhuma
- FB Fan -

8 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  19:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4Xtickets for vancouver and 4x winnepeg quite cheap!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16122&item=2227453847

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2227436384&category=16122
Go to Top of Page

mzajac
- FB Fan -

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  23:48:04  Show Profile  Visit mzajac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reposting this from the sticky topic:

Winnipeg Ticket(s), please. Near as I could tell, ticketmaster.ca was sold out in under three minutes. Contact me: velourîa åt zajäc døt see-ay.

Last time we drove nine hours to Minneapolis (getting interrogated by US customs) and showed up early to scope out the neighbourhood. And there was the band moving equipment off the bus into First Avenue! I said hello and shook Black's hand. The show was fantastic. Help me relive my experience, without all the driving -- I'll be SO grateful and ply you with drinks and regale you with stories if you desire.

Hope they'll have roadies this time.

Edited by - mzajac on 02/22/2004 01:32:09
Go to Top of Page

EG
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  02:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very off topic!! If you don't want to hear a typical forum argument, don't read this. This is mostly a reply to lagan. I've had enough of this righteous dreaming....

Scalping and such practices may seem morally wrong, but thats part of being free. I don't mean to sound crazy here, and yes, I'm drunk and elated for seeing the pixies on 4/14. Not everyone agrees on the exact same 'fair way' - moreover, its wrong to have a board telling you what is morally right or wrong, and how it applies to trade (of tickets). Defense, safety, infrastructure, are things that the powers that be should enforce, not how true of a fan you are. Finger prints and scans for a music show? maybe those whose buy tickets with fingerprints have to where a pixies symbol on their sleeve (sarcasm). Thats very extreme, big brother, and communist. Communism sucks. Yeah, this board helping eachother out is great, and I'm a part of it, but it works because its a small private effort agreed upon by everyone involved. You can't right the morale wrongs (of scalpers) with laws and rules. Its exactly the same as any communist rule that limits free decisions in in the name of equality and fairness. Its why Cuban artists are highly taxed on their art. And what is so bad about trading tickets for a place to stay? (someone said how this type of transaction was "tempting" - is this a dealy sin or something?) If someone got tickets randomly because they woke up early and timed it right with a good connection - why can't they trade that luck with some one who randomly lives in a place where the pixies randomly chose to play without someone beating them up for it?

Again, I'm all about this effort here for distributing tickets - but for the 'system' to tell us how to spend and deal our money, with the use of finger-printing? We are all the system man, and the only reason to control it is from a bossy, know it all aspect. Do whats right for you and yours, and everything will be fine - and better yet, free and un-patrolled.

The day that a ticket window asks for your fingerprint to verify your right to see a public show, 'how you gonna come? with your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?' Okay, a little extreme, but getting in a qoute from the real brixton the only thing that really matters here....
Go to Top of Page

bayzhuma
- FB Fan -

8 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  03:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i win the winnepeg does anyone want to split....
im a new forum member so i feel a little crappy asking for spares...
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  05:45:50  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Glad to see this thread is not getting too long.

Sorry it took me so long to post, I had to work 18 hours yesterday and had to get special permission to use the internet at work to buy Pixies tickets... just got home now at 7:30am.

GOOD NEWS: I got tickets, so you can remove me from the list! I also have 2 extra tickets, Section D Row 1 (first row, first balcony).
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  07:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, didnt anyone read on the ticketmaster web site that any tickets found on the ebay or any auction web site would be cancelled and in effect become invalid...so just to warn u , i dont know if their just bluffing but its just something u might want to keep in mind..LOL current bid 400+.
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  08:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
And what is so bad about trading tickets for a place to stay? (someone said how this type of transaction was "tempting" - is this a dealy sin or something?) If someone got tickets randomly because they woke up early and timed it right with a good connection - why can't they trade that luck with some one who randomly lives in a place where the pixies randomly chose to play without someone beating them up for it?

EG, you sound sincere, so I'm going to assume in the spirit of generosity that you didn't understand the plan. By signing onto the list for these tickets we were agreeing to save our extra tickets at cost for those on the original list who didn't get tickets. And there was a general consensus that the best way to do this was by a draw. There's nothing wrong with trading tickets for transportation, or not buying extras, or selling them to nonforumites--UNLESS you've made an agreement to do otherwise. It seems to me that by putting your name on the list, you agreed to the procedure: sell tickets to forum members on the list and choose which ones with a draw.

Edited by - Alpha Soixante on 02/22/2004 08:11:43
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  08:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to run an e-mail campaign, e-mailing random eBay bidders telling them about the Ticketmaster warnings ... might cut the scalpers' profits by a little at least.

Edited by - roomloo on 02/22/2004 08:35:10
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  08:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone just parted with 285 cdn on ebay. Hope they pop back up on ticketmaster.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  08:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updated list. Good work, Porkbone!

(Although things are looking more and more positive, I'm also feeling like more and more of a loser for somehow not being able to get tickets).

---- original people needing tickets (* means confirmed -- PLEASE let us know if your name is here with no asterisk) ----
* RussT (need 2)
* The Champ (needs 3)
* Taxman75 / LoganZ (needs 1)
* jackanapes (needs 2)
* deaddack (need 1)
* jvince (need 2)
* roomloo (need 3)
* ziggystardust (need 2)
indarkjoy (need 2)
beergeek (need 2)
* selfescape (need 2)
* Alpha Soixante (need 2)
Pixiesarethegreatest (need 3)
* Kyle (needs 2)
* Prozacrat (needs 2)

---- post-sale people needing tickets -----
* debaserjones (2-4)
* johnny_4_president (need 2)
* boseph (1)
* rexella (3)
* gkd (3)
* qris (2)
* travolante (3)
* Ediger (2)
* mjazac (4)

---- extras ----
* EdBudd (4)
* surferben (1)
* Havalina (2)
* MattB (16)
* GratefulJason3 (3)
havinganyfun (?)
* solace (2/3)
* manny (1)
chrischob (1 - tenatative)
* liffey (1 - and a good person after all!)
deathorglory (2 - tentative)
kelly (?)
* brysonmeunier (2)
* porkbone1 (2)

Edited by - roomloo on 02/22/2004 14:01:05
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  08:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for trading tickets for transportation, I can see how it could be okay if you're giving the tickets to someone on the list. If there were fewer extras available than people wanting them I would definitely understand an argument against that, but in our case I don't think anyone who otherwise would be getting tickets would be deprived of what was supposed to be theirs.

I'll admit that I'm saying this in part because I've been talking to one of those extras, one who lives in my hometown, about just that sort of swap (actually, I'd also be paying for his tickets). Consider also that people will feel much more comfortable about a transaction with a stranger if you can just meet them in a public place and exchange the money well in advance of the show. I (and anyone else who choses to buy in person) would just be one less person to possibly get screwed.

I'm not saying anyone will be cheated, but peace of mind is a great thing.

Edited by - roomloo on 02/22/2004 08:42:09
Go to Top of Page

mzajac
- FB Fan -

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  08:42:37  Show Profile  Visit mzajac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
please add me to the list -- I would like to find 4 tickets.
Go to Top of Page

brysonmeunier
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  08:55:29  Show Profile  Visit brysonmeunier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mzajac

Near as I could tell, ticketmaster.ca was sold out in under three minutes.

Official word is 240 seconds, according to the Winnipeg Sun this morning:

WAVE of jubilation
Winnipeg Sun - Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada
Music fans from across North America had only 240 seconds to gobble up
tickets this morning before legendary indie rock band the Pixies sold
out their upcoming ...
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/News/2004/02/22/356466.html

This as-it-happens News Alert is brought to you by Google News
(BETA)...

Bryson
Founder/Proprietor/Vitiator
- the HEY cafe -
http://www.arnoldjacksontheband.com/pixies.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for trading tickets for transportation, I can see how it could be okay if you're giving the tickets to someone on the list.

True. But EG's original offer wasn't clearly directed to listees, but to anyone who could provide transportation. Anyway, it's not a big deal, since it looks like the original listees are covered.

And EG: I realize you might have meant the offer for listees; if so, no problem. Really, the frustration in a lot of these posts was directed toward the ebay scalpers and at Liffey for skipping out--it wasn't directed at you.
Go to Top of Page

rexella
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That article in the paper said that around 70% were purchased online. What really burns my ass is that when I called Ticketmaster last week, the lady told me to avoid the net completely and go to an outlet to purchase tickets. There I was yesterday morning at an outlet that sold to only 3 people before the sell out.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so what do we do when the list is finalised?..not to be pushy or anything :)
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think MattB may have volunteered to run a lottery (I might be wrong). I think ideally we'd have the mods do it but there is no presuming they'd be interested in that. I for one am disqualified as I have something at stake.

However, if I do get tickets directly from one of the sellers on the list in exchange for transportation, in that case I would volunteer to at least help Matt with it, since my name would be off the list. Having the lottery run by two people who don't know each other might be ideal, since people might be more likely to trust the results.

I am for first trying to match people up based on quantity before we do a lottery. For example, match those with 1 extra to those needing 1, those with 3 to those needing 3, etc. This is assuming that GratefulJason's three tickets are all together...

Finally, if tickets are left over after the lottery I say they go out to people on the post-sale list on a first-come-first-served basis. i.e., those that asked for tickets first are first in line. That's just my vote, though.

Once that's done, it's up to the buyers and sellers to make arrangements among themselves.

Edited by - roomloo on 02/22/2004 09:41:01
Go to Top of Page

Gratefuljason3
- FB Fan -

60 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really have to tip my hat to you guys. Nearly everyone who said they would supply their extras to the board stuck to their word. This type of cooperation is exceedingly rare these days, it feels great to be in such good company. Just let me know how we're going to distribute the extras, I've still got my three. Cheers mates. See you all in Canada.
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  09:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good question. We might, wherever possible, have people in the same locations just meet to pay for their tickets, rather than wait until the show without any guarantee they'll get them. (Provided people aren't too picky about seats and want to draw for the best ones.) Or we could follow the advice on the ticket-trading thread and use paypal and mail them. There's no guarantee, but at least you could get your tickets in hand before investing in travel and hotel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000