Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  00:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

I just want to point out there is a massive difference between (a) firing someone over their political views and (b) firing someone for publicly associating your band with certain political views.

There is some speculative evidence that (b) could possibly have happened, but there is none whatsoever for (a).

But it's the Pixies who have actually done the public associating here. This is non-story that is niche to the power of niche. I don't think it even merited a thread on here - that means uber-uber niche.

Whereas now....
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  00:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Skulls
quote:
In November 2022, Russell Marsden took to Instagram to inform fans that Emma Richardson will leave the band to pursue a full-time painting career. In March 2024, Pixies announced Richardson would join them as bass guitarist following the departure of Paz Lechantin.

there goes the full-time painting career... :p
i wonder how russell feels about this now.

it's educational

Band of Smells....
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  01:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

The guy who thinks there might be a hidden message in Dave getting his finger caught in a mouse trap and that there might be a connection between Lay's and being 'Laid off' ALSO believes the Jan 6th insurrection was a fake event!? Well I never.

Sorry Pot Just playing with ya.

There is no doubt some kind of hidden message contained within Dave’s short video post which unfortunately turned out not be a magic trick though - it’s just we don’t know what it is yet

I was getting carried away there though with my tin foil hat on and thinking that maybe this is all a wind up and this friday Mar 8 in Dublin they are going to suprise us with The Real Kim Deal who has agreed to join the band just for this tour?

It’s definitely not outwith the realms..

It would mean though that Emma Richardson joining the band was just pretend which will then disappoint all her fans on Instagram so who knows - do I win a prize if I’m right?

Why is there "no doubt" that there's a secret message? And that we just don't know it yet? You're looking for something that isn't there Pot! - haha.

If Kim does appear you win the prize of being the band's next bassist when she quits again. Good luck!

Edited by - jake3 on 03/05/2024 01:56:13
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  02:11:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile Pixies announce a new Bossanova vinyl edition...just another colour though.

People complain on Instagram that their comments are being deleted.
So the tactic of a new product doesn't seem to work

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Edited by - billgoodman on 03/05/2024 02:13:57
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  02:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

I just want to point out there is a massive difference between (a) firing someone over their political views and (b) firing someone for publicly associating your band with certain political views.

There is some speculative evidence that (b) could possibly have happened, but there is none whatsoever for (a).

But it's the Pixies who have actually done the public associating here. This is non-story that is niche to the power of niche. I don't think it even merited a thread on here - that means uber-uber niche.

Whereas now....

It may have been a non-story, and few people may have seen Paz's pro-Ariel Pink/Javier Milei political posts/likes/whatever however it may have been personally offensive to the band. It's them who have to work and tour with Paz.

Ultimately we don't know the full picture (who knows maybe it's the tip of the iceberg?). We may even be barking up the wrong tree. Either way I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  02:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some screenshots of Paz's old Instagram posts regarding Ariel Pink. I believe there may have been more replies from Paz to other fans too. The person who uploaded these screenshots further wrote:

"I posted a screenshot below of my interaction. From what I remember she posted stories and subsequent posts defending him, and if I remember correctly I think she said she was with him in a hotel room when the Jan 6 insurrection was happening so he for sure wasn't involved?"

Presumably the association that people have mentioned already is regarding the Pixies merch.

And Javier Milei...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/418095734190243843/1214284406328401981/F_d6INSW4AA8APo.png?ex=65f88d7a&is=65e6187a&hm=bf9da7914113a395ae87219e2184e3c679711ce996312402987a45eb08ba74a7&

Edited by - jake3 on 03/05/2024 02:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  03:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Promising a Pixies T-shirt, fair enough, technical breach.

But you spend 10 years with somebody and don't pick up they not be quite as left of centre as everybody assumes people in the arts are?

Sure we don't know all the details. But listening to the BTE podcast Paz came across a good egg.

Pixies twitter and facebook is still locked for replies. They knew how this was going to go down. Especially with no context. And leaving it to the last minute comes across as weasely.

Edited by - Sprite on 03/05/2024 03:33:36
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  03:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there's a new bossanova vinyl colour???

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  03:41:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

quote:

Clutching at straws here....but could this be a guerrilla campaign to inject some energy into this forum?

I can neither confirm nor deny.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Wow, I haven't seen you in ages, Dean!

Edited by - billgoodman on 03/05/2024 04:16:47
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  03:44:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paz: "but it looks like they have a solid plan figured out which in turn has pushed me to move onwards onto new projects"

What would that solid plan be? Tour the world with Emma?
Or something else?

Maybe some new musical roads Paz did(n't) want to explore? Frank saying that he wants to do more touring and less recording?

I'm not sure Paz was fired, let alone fired for giving away a t-shirt

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  03:57:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If she left on her own accord I doubt she would have chosen this week to announce it - unless she had a good reason like some personal matter
The language the band have used says it all to me - they didn’t express any regret that she’d gone her own way just that they wished her all the best - this is the language people use when being polite when (say) they are let go from a job and maybe asked to resign
She was fired
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:02:50  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why is there "no doubt" that there's a secret message? And that we just don't know it yet? You're looking for something that isn't there Pot! - haha.

If Kim does appear you win the prize of being the band's next bassist when she quits again. Good luck!

Because it’s an odd thing to post which doesn’t make sense, therefore looks to be some kind of metaphor for something?
That’s all I’m saying - it doesn’t necesarilly have anything to do with Paz-gate
Otherwise just taking Dave’s video at face value then it would mean his wife actually did put a mousetrap in his bag of crisps which of course is ridiculous - so it must be a subtle reference to something else - in other words a “hidden message”

I better get practising then (and I’ll need to buy a bass guitar as well) just in case
Then I can be the first ever male bass player of the band Pixies yay!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:04:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman
Wow, I haven't seen you in ages, Sean!

Who is Sean? Lol I thought Cult_of_Frank was Brian, or Dean I can remember which one posts as which account
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:16:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Who is Sean? Lol I thought Cult_of_Frank was Brian, or Dean I can remember which one posts as which account

It's Dean, I was mistaken. I will correct it in my original post
Thanks, pot

Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Because it’s an odd thing to post which doesn’t make sense, therefore looks to be some kind of metaphor for something?
That’s all I’m saying - it doesn’t necesarilly have anything to do with Paz-gate
Otherwise just taking Dave’s video at face value then it would mean his wife actually did put a mousetrap in his bag of crisps which of course is ridiculous - so it must be a subtle reference to something else - in other words a “hidden message”

I better get practising then (and I’ll need to buy a bass guitar as well) just in case
Then I can be the first ever male bass player of the band Pixies yay!

OR Dave posted just a quick joke with a trick mouse trap he owns.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:50:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

But you spend 10 years with somebody and don't pick up they not be quite as left of centre as everybody assumes people in the arts are?

Who is left of centre and who is right these days?
This left-right paradigm has become obsolete - if it ever meant anything
It seems to be mostly the left pushing for authoritarianism whereas traditionally it was always the right and I’ve always aligned myself with most of the core left-wing or what are now known as “woke” principles but these days much of the left are just acting completley deranged and calling for anyone and everything to be cancelled for daring to express an alternative view point
They complain about Trump (who I don’t support either) while cheering on the most blood thirsty, warmongering, anti-free speech, anti-consitutional Democratic administration we’ve ever seen I think - we also have a uniparty situation in the UK too now - both the Dems and the Reps are guilty of attacking the free press though through the pressure they put on the UK to arbitrarilly hold Julian Assange in prison, on no charges, simply for exposing their crimes
OTOH the Trump heads are just as misguided as it was Trump who ordered the UK to have Assange dragged out the embassy where he was seeking political asylum and thrown in jail as a political prisoner - it was also Mike Pompei under Trump who conspired to have him assassinated (after he released a whole bunch of stuff on CIA criminality)
So neither side is any better than the other

Anyway - I hope the above what I just said doesn’t come across as ranty or disjointed - I typed in a whole bunch of stuff then accidentally refreshed my safari browser on my iPad and just like that all the words I typed disappeared into a black hole so I’m trying to redraft all what I put down and I’ve lost some of the flow

At the end of the day any band who drops a member for speaking out against (I assume) some of the things I’m highlighting loses my respect
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:54:13  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh you mean it wasn’t a real mouse trap! (Or his hands weren’t really trapped) Sorry that went completely over my head

I’ve seen some of Dave’s card tricks before and actually managd to figure out how he did one - but pretending to catch your hand in a mousetrap ? that’s like a magic/comedy performance for nursery children

Therefore it feels to me like it has to be metaphor for something else otherwise it just comes across as a slightly puerile
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:56:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we have still know idea this is political. It's an educated guess, nothing more.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  04:56:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

It's Dean, I was mistaken. I will correct it in my original post
Thanks, pot

Dean!
Right - NOT Brian - got it now
Dean is Cult_of_Frank
Brian is Broken Face because the first two letter are both Br.. that’s how I’ll remember it now
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  05:01:41  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, we have still know idea this is political. It's an educated guess, nothing more.

Indeed
No doubt it looks like she was let go - but maybe it could be another reason
Maybe Charles didn’t like her input on the latest recording?
Maybe she was getting too bossy having recorded so many albums with them now and Charles wanted to be more in charge of the creative flow..
Just more speculation..
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  05:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it can only mean that paz was fired for stealing crisps. there's evidence!

she tried stealing crisps, but got CAUGHT!

it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 03/05/2024 05:11:12
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  05:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Oh you mean it wasn’t a real mouse trap! (Or his hands weren’t really trapped) Sorry that went completely over my head

I’ve seen some of Dave’s card tricks before and actually managd to figure out how he did one - but pretending to catch your hand in a mousetrap ? that’s like a magic/comedy performance for nursery children

Therefore it feels to me like it has to be metaphor for something else otherwise it just comes across as a slightly puerile

Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor before? It was just a weak joke, jeesh.

"Mostly the left pushing for authoritarianism"?! Oh Pot.

Anyway back to Paz.

Edited by - jake3 on 03/05/2024 05:08:59
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  05:27:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway back to Paz.

Sorry I don’t know what you appear to be getting upset about there

As for the left pushing for totalitarism - I think we’ve seen this before around the time of the rise of Nazism in the mid 20th century - and we’re seeing it again - it seems that maybe it’s an inescapable trend of human societal or political evolution?

I’ve seen traditional lefties acting more and more deranged over the the past few years - and it ties in well with the observed tendency of everything to become inverted lately - humanity is going through a major paradigm shift and the world has gone comepletely bonkers
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  05:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not again man, can we just talk about the band here and take the political stuff to the General Chat area?

Here s a helpful link

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34433
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  05:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where does 'band' politics go?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  05:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Anyway back to Paz.

As for the left pushing for totalitarism - I think we’ve seen this before around the time of the rise of Nazism in the mid 20th century - and we’re seeing it again - it seems that maybe it’s an inescapable trend of human societal or political evolution?

I’ve seen traditional lefties acting more and more deranged over the the past few years - and it ties in well with the observed tendency of everything to become inverted lately - humanity is going through a major paradigm shift and the world has gone comepletely bonkers

I'm not upset I find it very funny! I find it absolutely baffling how you could've watched Dave's silly little video and come to your conclusion that something more is going on. The man's joking around with a bag of crisp - Haha.

I'm equally baffled how as we've all watched far right making a resurgence in the west and you've concluded that it's the left who want authoritarianism. Now that really is less funny.

Anyway, I don't want to go off topic anymore than I've done already so I'm gonna leave it at that. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Pot. Sorry Natenate101, I fully agree.

Edited by - jake3 on 03/05/2024 06:01:25
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  06:01:50  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Not again man, can we just talk about the band here and take the political stuff to the General Chat area?

Here s a helpful link

What was I saying again there about the left and cancel culture?

I'm on topic so kindly refrain from trying to police my commentary

Not again indeed!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  06:04:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Anyway back to Paz.

I'm not upset I find it very funny! I find it absolutely baffling how you could've watched Dave's silly little video and come to your conclusion that something more is going on. The man's joking around with a bag of crisp - Haha.

I'm equally baffled how as we've all watched far right making a resurgence in the west and you've concluded that it's the left who want authoritarianism. Now that really is less funny.

Anyway, I don't want to go off topic anymore than I've done already so I'm gonna leave it at that. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Pot. Sorry Natenate101, I fully agree.

We can take this to gen chat if you like

I fully expected some backlash for my comments which are coming from an impartial stance I'd like to add

There is a resurgence of far right extremism but it's predominantly coming from traditionally left camps
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  06:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Here s a helpful link

What was I saying again there about the left and cancel culture?

I'm on topic so kindly refrain from trying to police my commentary

Not again indeed!

You are absolutely not on topic.

Back on topic, Paz was a cool replacement for Kim and brought some credibility based on her time with APC and Zwan. I’ve seen some posters on the FB group talk about sexism and BF holding her back or something. I think he actually gave her several chances to take the lead and get the spotlight on both Head Carrier and BTE. I don’t see any evidence that she was creatively stifled or anything like that.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  06:37:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"Paz is always right"

- Charles Thompson, it's a Pixies Podcast, 2019 (or was it 18?)

He was giving her a lot of spotlight indeed.

(FBF also said that Tom is always right, btw)

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  06:42:14  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are absolutely not on topic.

How is it possible to be off topic on a thread speculating reasons as to why Paz has been dropped?
Unless you're the kind of person who wishes to silence others views you don't like as far as I can see logically then nothing is technically off topic
I'm sure a segue into sexism is ok with you though, right?

Edited by - pot on 03/05/2024 07:03:26
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  06:58:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Facebook is down, as we speak
Coincidence? I don't think so!

Frankblack.net is again in the forefront of Pixies-discussion

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  07:01:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Paz is always right"

- Charles Thompson, it's a Pixies Podcast, 2019 (or was it 18?)

A saying often heard in jest from hen pecked husbands about their wives
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  07:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the problem was Paz was 'too far' right.

Sorry slightly off topic but could not resist.

I just despair about this dumb move. I'll go to these Bossanova/TLM shows but now not expecting much.
Go to Top of Page

trevgreg
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  08:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I’ve seen some posters on the FB group talk about sexism and BF holding her back or something. I think he actually gave her several chances to take the lead and get the spotlight on both Head Carrier and BTE. I don’t see any evidence that she was creatively stifled or anything like that.

Agreed. It seems like she was making the most of her membership, particularly with the co-writing credits and vocal takes. I never really saw her as a hired hand or anything once she started contributing around Head Carrier. And it only seemed to grow from there.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000