Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Do they still have the same manager who was a bit of a dope during Shattuck's time?

Don't think it'll change much in how the band sounds, on record anyway. Dalgety seems to be in charge there.

You mean the guy who managed the Spice Girls ?

++++
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Is she any good then, Emma?
I have to say I was looking forward to seeing Paz for the first time - a band member with plenty experience in the band and now looks like they're finding a last minute replacement for a very special tour

You may someday be saying, "I caught the first [only?] tour that Emma ever did with Pixies."

Wait and see, I guess...

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Clutching at straws here....but could this be a guerrilla campaign to inject some energy into this forum?

I can neither confirm nor deny.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:50:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank
You may someday be saying, "I caught the first [only?] tour that Emma ever did with Pixies."

Wait and see, I guess...

Sure yeah I was also thinking that too - maybe
Perhaps I’m looking at this from too much of a glass half empty perspective
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to sound like a creep but from checking the official Pixies Instagram can see Paz liked pretty much all the posts up until November - after that nada.

That was around the same time she posted the Halloween costume vote that descended into the Ariel Pink debacle.

Whether the decision was the bands, Charles, management or a combination is unknown but it certainly looks like it was a major factor.

Edited by - Stevio10 on 03/04/2024 11:56:14
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:57:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Lol she looks like a mix of Kim number 1 and Paz
I don’t want to believe this was done on purpose ! :-D

___
"Service Unavailable"

I looked at her Insta and I’m not sure if it’s her in the latest pics but it looks like she’s sporting a Yaz haircut now - or I suppose Violet also - I mean short hair dyed white
I’d prefer a clone that looks ore like the original Kim Deal myself like in the above photo but I suppose the important thing is what her bass playing and wishy washy female indie vocals are like
At least though potentially if she also replaced Violet in Grand Duchy going forward then she’d have the right look there
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Not to sound like a creep but from checking the official Pixies Instagram can see Paz liked pretty much all the posts up until November - after that nada.

That was around the same time she posted the Halloween costume vote that descended into the Ariel Pink debacle.

Whether the decision was the bands, Charles, management or a combination is unknown but it certainly looks like it was a major factor.

Even more pathetic if you consider that most of the band non-US audience don’t have a clue about who Ariel Pink is and/or what MAGA mean (I had to Google it up).

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 03/04/2024 12:03:41
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tweet announcing the news is locked for replies, which tells its own story.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's true that Charles fired Paz over some dumb political disagreement, that makes me think less of him, not her. I really hope she was fired for another reason.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/04/2024 12:10:27
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:10:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really don’t know much about Ariel Pink just a name I’ve heard but I googled him/her/whatever and there’s something about they were in attendance at the Jan 6 insurrection..
Not sure if there’s any wind to this speculation but interesting to see where it goes as perhaps more information comes to light

As for the Jan 6 stuff an interesting side comment - around the time when I was also followed by Charles on Twitter I was also followed by Reid Paley but one time he blocked me for suggesting the Jan 6 insurrection was a faked event (which in my own opinion and many others mostly MAGA types it was) and he blocked me
The reason he followed me intitially was also because he tweeted “Yeesh” and just that one time which I caught on my feed as soon as he tweeted it and for a laugh decided to retweet it

Anyway, someone commented earlier that Charles was very intolerant of MAGA types so with that in mind maybe there is something to this theory?

Maybe also they didn’t feel Paz was working well with the BossaTrompe material and decided to audition a replacement behind her back? Pretty mean thing to do and I would be surprised if Paz couldn’t handle those albums but this might also explain the lack of material that’s been played from those albums over the years
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:12:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The tweet announcing the news is locked for replies, which tells its own story.

I’m also unable to reply to Paz’s Instagram post about it
Not everyone - limited replies or something
For some reason the algorithm singled me out and said Nope not this guy..
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Maybe also they didn’t feel Paz was working well with the BossaTrompe material and decided to audition a replacement behind her back? Pretty mean thing to do and I would be surprised if Paz couldn’t handle those albums but this might also explain the lack of material that’s been played from those albums over the years

I'd believe it more likely the other way around and she told Frank he wasn't playing it properly.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

If it's true that Charles fired Paz over some dumb political disagreement, that makes me think less of him, not her. I really hope she was fired for another reason.

100%.

Have to say I am more bummed with this departure than Kim's. At least I could understand Kim left for her own reasons.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:24:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd believe it more likely the other way around and she told Frank he wasn't playing it properly.

Yeah that’s bound the hurt the ego of any legacy indie rock stalwart
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paz also stopped tweeting in November.

Paz's backing vocals and harmonies on doggerel were one of my favourite things about that record. Her superfan attitude towards the group, her faithful devotion to its signature style as well as to its fans, and her youthful energy brought a lot of value. She has a great personality. OK, her live vocals were hit-or-miss. The albums matter more. It increasingly sounds like this was motivated by politics, which is pathetic, if true. Paz gave up a decade of her life for this band and she was about as good at her job as you could realistically hope. Charles OWED HER loyalty. He owed her gratitude. When people make choices that benefit you, when they sacrifice their time, when they agree to go on absolutely ridiculously long, fast-paced world tours, year after year, YOU OWE THEM.

Many musicians live in social and cultural bubbles where increasingly extreme attitudes have come to prevail. Charles may be possessed by this kind of mindset, too. I hope not, but it's increasingly common, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't care what his politics are; but if he fired Paz for hers, then, well, that's an asshole thing to do and the whole band will suffer for it, permanently.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/04/2024 12:43:59
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy who thinks there might be a hidden message in Dave getting his finger caught in a mouse trap and that there might be a connection between Lay's and being 'Laid off' ALSO believes the Jan 6th insurrection was a fake event!? Well I never.

Sorry Pot Just playing with ya.

I think after Kim Shattuck debacle this doesn't look great. I'm not gonna speculate on what caused this but I would hope it's not over something overly petty. I trust there must be reason enough to make this decision.

Edited by - jake3 on 03/04/2024 12:39:36
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:39:34  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paz's backing vocals and harmonies on doggerel were one of my favourite things about that record. Her superfan attitude towards the group, her faithful devotion to its signature style as well as to its fans, and her youthful energy brought a lot of value. She has a great personality. OK, her live vocals were hit-or-miss. The albums matter more. It increasingly sounds like this was motivated by politics, which is pathetic, if true. Paz gave up a decade of her life for this band and she was about as good at her job as you could realistically hope. Charles OWED HER loyalty. He owed her gratitude. When people make choices that benefit you, when they sacrifice their time, when they agree to go on absolutely ridiculously long, fast-paced world tours, year after year, YOU OWE THEM.

Many musicians live in social and cultural bubbles where increasingly extreme attitudes have come to prevail. Charles may be possessed by this kind of mindset, too. I hope not, but it's increasingly common, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't care what his politics are; but if he fired Paz for hers, then, well, that's an asshole thing to do and the whole band will suffer for it, permanently.

Wow, really. You don't have the slightest idea of what happened, what's the point of getting angry? You have absolutely no idea of what went on.

I don't mind the change, personally. It could mean anything, for better or worse. We'll still have a BN/TLM tour, Paz was not the original bassist, Emma isn't either. Same difference.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd bet my house on worse.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:45:39  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I kind of refuse to admit it but... yeah.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde
Wow, really. You don't have the slightest idea of what happened, what's the point of getting angry? You have absolutely no idea of what went on.

We have mounting evidence. It's still speculation, of course, but we do have confirmation from Paz that she was fired, and all signs point to it not being amicable, and some additional evidence (which has been shared in this thread) suggests it may have been partly motivated by politics. As I wrote above, "if true." My comment was conditional. Also, Paz has an agreeable personality so it's hard not to get upset at the possibility that she has been treated badly. She's a sweetheart.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/04/2024 12:50:58
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  12:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah. The Ramones never fired Johnny Ramone over his political views. Actually they even made a cool song about it ! But that was a different time…

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  13:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Yeah I kind of refuse to admit it but... yeah.

Denis

Well we don't have long to wait. I forgot the Dublin dates start on Thursday.

They're probably in Temple Bar fighting already
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  13:04:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paz also stopped tweeting in November.

This Cancel Culture mindset has become so ingrained into society these days

I agree that the band owed Paz some loyatly but it appears only legacy members are afforded that these days - she gave the band ten great years and I was starting to think of her as a real Pixie now - she also will have invested time in evolving the band that she could have used developing her own musical projects - still a great opportunity for her and no doubt it has elevated her profile more than she likely would have achieved if she had remained doing her own thing so she won’t be taking nothing away from the experience - but still I think she passed all the initiation ceremonies to be considered “one of us(them)” and shouldn’t have been let go like she’s some short term hire (if that is what has happened)

I think the band will feel the discontent among their fan base for this

Also - we shouldn’t forget that this is all still speculation at this stage before we all get carried away running with this theory and end up creating an urban myth or a Mandela wotist or something

No worries also jake3 I can take a rubbing as long as it’s not nasty
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  13:24:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

The guy who thinks there might be a hidden message in Dave getting his finger caught in a mouse trap and that there might be a connection between Lay's and being 'Laid off' ALSO believes the Jan 6th insurrection was a fake event!? Well I never.

There is no doubt some kind of hidden message contained within Dave’s short video post which unfortunately turned out not be a magic trick though - it’s just we don’t know what it is yet

I was getting carried away there though with my tin foil hat on and thinking that maybe this is all a wind up and this friday Mar 8 in Dublin they are going to suprise us with The Real Kim Deal who has agreed to join the band just for this tour?

It’s definitely not outwith the realms..

It would mean though that Emma Richardson joining the band was just pretend which will then disappoint all her fans on Instagram so who knows - do I win a prize if I’m right?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  13:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Yeah, I don't think a bass player of Paz's ability would struggle with those bass parts!
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  13:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

There is no doubt some kind of hidden message contained within Dave’s short video post which unfortunately turned out not be a magic trick though - it’s just we don’t know what it is yet

Dave really rated Paz, always said she made him play better. Maybe it's a message to say that magic has gone.

Edited by - Stevio10 on 03/04/2024 13:42:40
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reckon tomorrow they announce the new drummer and on Wednesday we get the new lead guitarist.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  13:56:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dave really rated Paz, always said she made him play better. Maybe it's a message to say that magic has gone.

Could be trying to say he wasn’t in agreement with the decision

I feel that this might be signaling the last of the summer wine for the band though ? I’m surprised they have gone for so long in the 2.0 phase really and eventually reformed into something resembling a solid, stable band

Maybe Charles is getting itchy feet for some more solo stuff? He seems quite invested in the band now though which is weird also because of the way he just terminated it all in their hey day when they were are the peak of their career - maybe sees the value in the band more now and also probably makes more money from Pixies than just solo as well - you can’t blame anyone for thinking about their pension as they get older

Edited by - pot on 03/04/2024 13:56:47
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  14:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All these theories being floated already and this news just came out today. I don’t know how artists do it man, people will really just run with stuff before they even have a chance to explain or let a decision breathe.

Personally, the thing I liked about Paz was her professionalism and positivity about the band. I think it really helped them come out of a somewhat darker time post-IC, where things were still uncertain. I wish her the best for sure. Thing she was underutilized on bass, and maybe over utilized as a vocalist. Just don’t rate her voice or singing abilities. Again, she was solid as hell for the band for 10 years and she earned a lot of respect from its fans.

Hope the band doesn’t have any major hiccups on the upcoming tour and can keep it going. I am intrigued as to how a new bass player will influence the studio stuff going forward, I’m ready for a change as a listener and if Dalgety won’t go, maybe some new chemistry will be a catalyst.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  16:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to point out there is a massive difference between (a) firing someone over their political views and (b) firing someone for publicly associating your band with certain political views.

There is some speculative evidence that (b) could possibly have happened, but there is none whatsoever for (a).
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  18:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ariel Pink replied to one of my tweets: https://twitter.com/arielxpink/status/1764847709079392425

I tweeted "Apparently [Paz's firing had] something to do with publicly supporting @arielxpink"

He replied "conjecture. but where theres smoke theres fire"

The archiver didn't really work: https://archive.li/npDM0
Here's a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/V3O2WAI

Edited by - tamefan on 03/04/2024 18:08:20
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  20:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ariel Pink replied to one of my tweets: https://twitter.com/arielxpink/status/1764847709079392425

I tweeted "Apparently [Paz's firing had] something to do with publicly supporting @arielxpink"

He replied "conjecture. but where theres smoke theres fire"

The archiver didn't really work: https://archive.li/npDM0
Here's a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/V3O2WAI

What makes you confident enough in what’s going on to even make that statement? “Apparently Paz’s firing had something to do…”. We don’t know this. At all. I don’t get it, like why even do it? Just to see if Ariel Pink replies and confirms or denies a theory basically created here? I find that really weird and unnecessary but I guess her leaving really hurts you enough to try and propagate the theory. Also, what makes Ariel Pink a reliable person here anyway?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  22:16:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

I just want to point out there is a massive difference between (a) firing someone over their political views and (b) firing someone for publicly associating your band with certain political views.

There is some speculative evidence that (b) could possibly have happened, but there is none whatsoever for (a).

Oh please.. "publicly associating your band with certain political views"
Who really cares that much - and by taking this action isn't the band then more reinforcing their position with opposing views?
Is it only bad for bands to align themselves with counter mainstream views then - oh how very rock n roll
I've consistently seen Charles normalise his politics with the absolute lunacy of the mainstream narrative over the past few years which has not only got my back up a bit but I've seen others respond unfavourably to them as well
And what is "your band" - as in Charles' band? I mean for sure he no doubt is the majority "stakeholder" but a band is also the sum of all it's parts and to treat other members like they are expendable like this over such a petty reason is not a great look and very reminiscent of 1992

Edited by - pot on 03/04/2024 22:18:10
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  22:26:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

What makes you confident enough in what’s going on to even make that statement? “Apparently Paz’s firing had something to do…”. We don’t know this. At all. I don’t get it, like why even do it? Just to see if Ariel Pink replies and confirms or denies a theory basically created here? I find that really weird and unnecessary but I guess her leaving really hurts you enough to try and propagate the theory. Also, what makes Ariel Pink a reliable person here anyway?

Why wouldn't they be reliable - because they're a Jan 6er?
You know there are people still in jail for just happening to be there

They very fact Ariel Pink responded as though they were aware of the conjecture is telling alone imho
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  00:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Skulls
quote:
In November 2022, Russell Marsden took to Instagram to inform fans that Emma Richardson will leave the band to pursue a full-time painting career. In March 2024, Pixies announced Richardson would join them as bass guitarist following the departure of Paz Lechantin.

there goes the full-time painting career... :p
i wonder how russell feels about this now.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000