* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2024 :  16:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jay

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Look forward to that auxfnx.

I was at the National Stadium, Dublin, 1st Oct 1990 for the Bossanova tour. First time they had played in the Ireland (Belfast day before I think). First time to see them. 19 years old. Total carnage on the main floor.

The support at the Stadium gig was the Pale Saints. Last night it was the Pale White. Cue twilight zone music.
Last night was excellent.

Ah yes course. A 4AD special. Spooky! The clips I am seeing look fantastic. So excited now for the weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2024 :  16:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

wow tons of people in the audience singing along to Dig For Fire

this is adorable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlQNtZ0qfdE

That is just great! Hope it is as full throated at the Forum next Sunday.

Yes! Who else is going to the London shows from here?

Sunday and Monday. Although so far only my Monday ticket has arrived.

Edited by - Sprite on 03/12/2024 16:19:26
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2024 :  16:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

I was at the National Stadium, Dublin, 1st Oct 1990 for the Bossanova tour. First time they had played in the Ireland (Belfast day before I think). First time to see them. 19 years old. Total carnage on the main floor.

That must have been an amazing show Sprite, would love to hear more.

I saw them two years later in NYC 1992, and yes, carnage pretty well describes moments on the main floor as well.

Well Bedbug it's a bit dim and distant past..... What do I remember? Well I nearly missed it for one. I was walking down the street and saw on a postbill for the Pixies and my eyes nearly popped out, I had no idea they were playing Dublin. So I had to run to the record store praying there were still tickets available. And thankfully there were so I got one for me and my younger brother.

The energy at the gig was amazing. It was like an epiphany for me. Up to then I'd only been to a few concerts, big ones like Simple Minds, U2, REM plus some small Irish bands. But I'd discovered the Pixies after seeing the Monkey video on Snub TV and after that they were the only band for me. I became completely obsessed and bought everything I could find including some nice 7" inch bootlegs.

I saw them again at the Point (a bigger venue) in 1991. Also excellent but messed up because I lost a shoe in the mosh pit on the 4th song. So I had to watch it from the back and then a very tedious journey home with a shoeless foot. My mother was not happy at all as they were brand new and she had bought them for me as I was a poor student. She could not believe how somebody could lose a shoe at a 'dance', she thought I must have been on drugs or something. Anyway fun times!

Edited by - Sprite on 03/12/2024 16:35:36
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2964 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  06:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That must have been an amazing show Sprite, would love to hear more.

I saw them two years later in NYC 1992, and yes, carnage pretty well describes moments on the main floor as well.

Well Bedbug it's a bit dim and distant past..... What do I remember? Well I nearly missed it for one. I was walking down the street and saw on a postbill for the Pixies and my eyes nearly popped out, I had no idea they were playing Dublin. So I had to run to the record store praying there were still tickets available. And thankfully there were so I got one for me and my younger brother.

The energy at the gig was amazing. It was like an epiphany for me. Up to then I'd only been to a few concerts, big ones like Simple Minds, U2, REM plus some small Irish bands. But I'd discovered the Pixies after seeing the Monkey video on Snub TV and after that they were the only band for me. I became completely obsessed and bought everything I could find including some nice 7" inch bootlegs.

I saw them again at the Point (a bigger venue) in 1991. Also excellent but messed up because I lost a shoe in the mosh pit on the 4th song. So I had to watch it from the back and then a very tedious journey home with a shoeless foot. My mother was not happy at all as they were brand new and she had bought them for me as I was a poor student. She could not believe how somebody could lose a shoe at a 'dance', she thought I must have been on drugs or something. Anyway fun times!

That's amazing Sprite, thanks so much for sharing. I love hearing this vintage stories of seeing our man in the 1.0 era. Share more if you can.

I wrote a paper about my experience to see Pixies in 92. If I can ever find it I'll share.

First thing that comes to mind is that Barkmarket opened for them. Can't imagine it's ever an easy job opening for the Pixies but I've seen some good acts over the years for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  07:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also excellent but messed up because I lost a shoe in the mosh pit on the 4th song.

ahahahahaha
that's mental

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  19:08:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Supercut video someone posted from Manchester 3/14 … or 14/3 if you’re so inclined

https://youtu.be/ma2k9H1PT0s?si=YK3ki5b2Ms2Qbmtr

Also an “Ian Corbridge” is posting a bunch of quality vids from tonight as well. They’re going up now. Here’s one:

https://youtu.be/YIviKlI6J4I?si=Kr3OL5y2zmQY4fNg

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/15/2024 01:15:28
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  03:47:38  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey hey, so I went to night 1 and 2 of the Manchester gigs. Between the two nights I got all the album songs, Vegas Suite twice, and night 2's encores. Here's the playlists for anyone interested.

Tuesday March 12
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKp-NivaBS_L9mlQ7JgCKooHsXYzm7vzo&si=pcBBWa2DjW4MX8IV

Wednesday March 13
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKp-NivaBS_I8p1o0i9oI5etabzWRjEXe&si=gBdvMc31uFmxQ7_x
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  11:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://thethinair.net/2024/03/pixies-at-3olympia-theatre-dublin/

Nice review of one of the Dublin gigs.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2964 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  04:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

That really was a great review.

Author seems like a real fan.

And his description of the juxtaposition of Vegas Suite being played right after all those 1.0 songs is obviously on the money. (The endless conversation and contemplation of the topic of these good 2.0 songs not fitting the label "pixies" still hasn't gotten old to me.) A great read thanks for posting.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  05:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

That really was a great review.

Author seems like a real fan.

And his description of the juxtaposition of Vegas Suite being played right after all those 1.0 songs is obviously on the money. (The endless conversation and contemplation of the topic of these good 2.0 songs not fitting the label "pixies" still hasn't gotten old to me.) A great read thanks for posting.

Agreed - a thoughtful review!
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  07:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's a very good writer (and musician - he's part of Junk Drawer, who are a bit reminiscent of Dinosaur Jr and other alternative rock greats).

Edited by - The Maharal on 03/16/2024 07:40:14
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  08:48:05  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Me neither, and I'm always trying to find the words to nail it down.

Stuff like Vegas Suite to me is too "relaxed" sounding the way Cold Heart of Stone or other Catholics tunes have that relaxed, strumming by a campfire, melancholy feel. Pixies never feel "relaxed" to me, even in their slower songs, there's a musical TENSION. Maybe that's what a Pixies song needs: tension. But then you have Havalina which is very pretty and relaxed yet undeniably Pixies...so I'm still struggling here.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  09:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

Me neither, and I'm always trying to find the words to nail it down.

Stuff like Vegas Suite to me is too "relaxed" sounding the way Cold Heart of Stone or other Catholics tunes have that relaxed, strumming by a campfire, melancholy feel. Pixies never feel "relaxed" to me, even in their slower songs, there's a musical TENSION. Maybe that's what a Pixies song needs: tension. But then you have Havalina which is very pretty and relaxed yet undeniably Pixies...so I'm still struggling here.

More simply, fast or slow, some songs sound innovative others don't. Does it have to do with ambition? Inspiration? Production? Tension? Pretension?

++++
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  13:43:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just listened to Get Simulated, which isn't innovative at all. It's The Creature Crawling all over again, I even think that song has more reach with the bridge and all. But Get Simulated totally sounds like the Pixies to me. Not like Vamos or Tame, but more in the vein of Is She Weird or Navajo Know. Which are way weirder and innovative. I don't care. I just love how it sounds.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Just listened to Get Simulated, which isn't innovative at all. It's The Creature Crawling all over again, I even think that song has more reach with the bridge and all. But Get Simulated totally sounds like the Pixies to me. Not like Vamos or Tame, but more in the vein of Is She Weird or Navajo Know. Which are way weirder and innovative. I don't care. I just love how it sounds.

Is She Weird is a good reference point for Get Simulated. That's like one of the only songs on Doggerel where I thought this could be on a Pixies album. But I also thought it reminded me of solo Frank SVN FNGRS kind of stuff.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:34:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, totally. But SVN FNGRS always reminded me of Pixies during Bossanova and Trompe.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2964 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  15:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't we do a poll somewhere in the past where we asked everyone "which one FBF song could have seamlessly fit into the 1.0 Pixies era?"

And didn't we get like 27 different answers?

I don't even remember what my answer was and if I would agree with myself now
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  15:34:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds about right
I feel differently ever single time

I don't hear the Catholics in most of the Pixies 2.0 at all

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  17:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Only" these songs in particular:

Head Carrier ("I'm goin' down the drain...again")
Might as Well Be Gone (the chorus)
Tenement Song (the verses)
Bel Esprit (the whole song)
Um Chagga Lagga (the driving around country feel)
All the Saints ("dog in the sand..")
Catfish Kate (dark folky country song)
This Is My Fate (ditto)
Ready For Love (I mean it certainly don't sound like the Pixies)
St. Nazaire (especially the vocals, reminds me of 1st Catholics album)
Bird of Prey (country folky, the vocal performance, lyrics, etc)
Daniel Boone (the country folk epic ballad about driving around)
Death Horizon (same Catholics folky chords, etc)
The Good Works of Cyrus (again, country-ish melody/chord progression)
Please Don't Go (any of the sad Catholics love songs)
Mal Del Mar (the chord progression, etc, country-ish)
Under The Marigold (the entire relaxed country vibe sounds like Catholics)
I Just Can't Break It To You (the whole song)
Nomatterday ("Black letter day...")
Vault of Heaven (country, the vocal performance, etc)
Haunted House (traveling, Stupid Me 50s type pop elements)
The Lord Has Come Back Today (the entire song)
Thunder and Lightning (Dog in the Sand type atmospheric traveling song)
Pagan Man (again, vocal performance, Stupid Me, etc)
Who's More Sorry Now? (Country, etc)
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  18:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed night one in London. Charles continuing to be very chatty, and clearly having a good time.

The rarer Bossanova stuff sounded absolutely glorious. Never understood why 'Down to the Well' hasn't been played until the Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim tour and now. 'Hang Wire' was brilliant too.

Edited by - Ziggy on 03/16/2024 18:20:28
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  23:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Down to the Well is such an amazing song. It has incredible atmosphere. I just want to see like a whole movie of that song.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  00:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey's guitar tone on Down to the Well is akin to a John Frusciante tone. It conveys so much feeling.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  00:49:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

"Only" these songs in particular:

Head Carrier ("I'm goin' down the drain...again")
Might as Well Be Gone (the chorus)
Tenement Song (the verses)
Bel Esprit (the whole song)
Um Chagga Lagga (the driving around country feel)
All the Saints ("dog in the sand..")
Catfish Kate (dark folky country song)
This Is My Fate (ditto)
Ready For Love (I mean it certainly don't sound like the Pixies)
St. Nazaire (especially the vocals, reminds me of 1st Catholics album)
Bird of Prey (country folky, the vocal performance, lyrics, etc)
Daniel Boone (the country folk epic ballad about driving around)
Death Horizon (same Catholics folky chords, etc)
The Good Works of Cyrus (again, country-ish melody/chord progression)
Please Don't Go (any of the sad Catholics love songs)
Mal Del Mar (the chord progression, etc, country-ish)
Under The Marigold (the entire relaxed country vibe sounds like Catholics)
I Just Can't Break It To You (the whole song)
Nomatterday ("Black letter day...")
Vault of Heaven (country, the vocal performance, etc)
Haunted House (traveling, Stupid Me 50s type pop elements)
The Lord Has Come Back Today (the entire song)
Thunder and Lightning (Dog in the Sand type atmospheric traveling song)
Pagan Man (again, vocal performance, Stupid Me, etc)
Who's More Sorry Now? (Country, etc)

Yeah, I agree with some of those. But not all of it.
It's the same guy singing as well , you know

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2964 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  04:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s a good list Trouble, appreciate the effort

Like Bill, I’d say yes and no

And it also reminds me how 2.0 has a distinct sound of its own (obviously)

Joeys guitar and Frank’s voice is all you need right? Obviously not. Listened to a love Surfers Muertos last night and the guitar was so 1.0, but then I was like but is it?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  05:30:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love that song though
That's something that is so modern Pixies
And that's all you can hope for

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  01:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

'Hang Wire' was brilliant too.

totally

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  03:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the show tonight after reading all of the comments. Came all the way from Vermont for this glorious happening.

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  06:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

Looking forward to the show tonight after reading all of the comments. Came all the way from Vermont for this glorious happening.

I was really impressed. A couple of slips/false starts in Trompe set but didn't spoil it in the slightest. Plus Charles swapping guitars lots like the old days!
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  09:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was really impressed. A couple of slips/false starts in Trompe set but didn't spoil it in the slightest. Plus Charles swapping guitars lots like the old days!

Excellent. Thanks for the review.

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We’re not a metal band, but we like the metal.

Great show. Not being from the UK, who would of thought that the O2 ran more than one concert hall. Luckily we had just enough time to get from the O2 arena to the O2 forum. Thought the folks walking to the arena with us were a little overdressed. I guess that is the kind of crowd John Mayer attracts.

Got Vegas Suite, Here Comes Your Man, Hey and WIMM UK for the extras.

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  23:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not being from the UK, who would of thought that the O2 ran more than one concert hall. Luckily we had just enough time to get from the O2 arena to the O2 forum.

oh no, what a terrible mistake!
good to hear you still made it.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2024 :  15:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:

Not being from the UK, who would of thought that the O2 ran more than one concert hall. Luckily we had just enough time to get from the O2 arena to the O2 forum.

oh no, what a terrible mistake!
good to hear you still made it.

it's educational

It really just made it more of a special show. I have a picture of myself in front of the arena with John Mayer on a huge screen in the background. Before we figured out we were at the wrong venue. Fucking hilarious.

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  00:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

If so then maybe the reason they are only play these shows is to see how it works out before doing anymore?

they might do more.
it might not even depend that much on how it works out now.

they did the doolittle anniversary thing for a couple of years (2009-2011), didn't they?
and the come on pilgrim + surfer rosa tour (originally in 2018) was repeated in australia and new zealand (in 2020, and continued in 2022), wasn't it?
so who knows...

what's also possible is that these 15 shows are it, but that more of these songs will appear in the regular setlists.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  01:23:07  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The list of songs they have never played sinds 1990-1993 is long
Of course they are happy to forget some of them after these shows
But I think Discoking is right: Bossanova and Trompe songs will show up in regular sets.

Crowd reactions are wild, and so they should.

It has been a wrong choice, IMHO, to focus on the first 3 releases since reuniting in 2004.
Whatever the reasons may have been - I have speculated on that before - the reactions of press and public on that material before 2004 is not one of them.

People loved Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde. Their star was still rising in that era. I have reviews from the 90's to prove this.
And to me, those records are even better than the first three.

Maybe those records didn't age as well. Could be. Of course Surfer Rosa is a ground breaking record and Doolittle has some accessible hits.
And they are both (almost) without a weak moment.

But I'm almost certain the Pixies canon - choosing which songs and records are classic - was made by the band after 2004. Maybe a little bit earlier, because FBF was also dismissive about Bossanova and Trompe in the Gouge documentary from 2001. And The Catholics mostly played pre-Bossanova stuff.

If you don't play those songs to the new generation, they get lost. Even your hits like Dig for fire.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000