-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 2024 Bossa / Trompe tour confirmed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stuczuba Posted - 06/06/2023 : 00:10:47
https://www.seetickets.com/tour/pixies

UK March dates :)
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BunsenH Posted - 04/08/2024 : 07:30:03
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

watching the videos from this tour, my eyes keep drifting over to people in the audience. you can spot so many people who are really appreciative and into the music. it's great

someone in the front row at L'Olympia was very pleased when Subba transitioned into D=RxT with a literally 0 second interval (Charles sang "lunaaaaaaaaIhadmeavision")

here: https://youtu.be/fGJRBuB6Gec?t=4439

Like on the Purple Tape - love the transition
two reelers Posted - 04/07/2024 : 02:53:18
Anyone has some insight/ideas/rumours if the Bossa/Trompe-Tour might be continued? The upcoming summer tour is supposed to be a regular tour?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
billgoodman Posted - 04/04/2024 : 23:05:42
That was a great transition!

The changing of guitars really held back the energy of the show during some parts.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
tamefan Posted - 04/04/2024 : 17:30:20
watching the videos from this tour, my eyes keep drifting over to people in the audience. you can spot so many people who are really appreciative and into the music. it's great

someone in the front row at L'Olympia was very pleased when Subba transitioned into D=RxT with a literally 0 second interval (Charles sang "lunaaaaaaaaIhadmeavision")

here: https://youtu.be/fGJRBuB6Gec?t=4439
Discoking Posted - 03/31/2024 : 13:39:30
i was at the first london gig.
next to us was a couple who weren't "in the know" which really surprised me.
i also saw greg davies looking for a seat (and not immediately finding one) i think about 15 minutes before the start of the show.

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 03/31/2024 : 11:17:19
Terrific write up Sprite

Sounds like an amazing experience

Thanks for sharing
Sprite Posted - 03/31/2024 : 01:37:56
Bit late with my review of the last London night. Had a ticket for Sunday and Monday but had a family emergency which meant I had to miss Sunday but fortunately I just made the Monday gig.

Atmosphere was great, good mix of people, young and old, and all 'in the know' that this was a special one. Frank was the chattiest I have seen since the old FB&C concert days.

As well as the show concept intro we got short stories about Cecila Ann, Havalina (about the pigs but also a friend), the Sad Punk (as mentioned above), Head On (a song by the Reid brothers), Motorway to Roswell ('a deep cut', on which I have to respectfully disagree, Space I believe the ultimate deep cut...) as well as several other snippets.

Highlights: All over the world (pure bliss), Stormy Weather (never would I ever have thought this would trounce Blown Away). Bird Dream (spectacular, could easily be absorbed into standard sets), Is she weird, D=RxT, Dig For Fire and the Happening.

Overall all to my surprise I thought the Bossanova half had more impact than TLM. Maybe because I have rated TLM ahead of it for most of my life I had just forgotten just how moving the songs work as a whole. Definitely some binding energy going on there. I felt dreamy and ethereal. I came away with a renewed big big love for the record.

The encore was Vegas Suite, HCYM. Hey and Wave (Uk Surf) of course. Vegas Suite came across really well. Joey was really going for it on the guitar, he looked vey energised in this tune.

Exiting out to the strains of Streams of Whisky by the Pogues directly tipped me into handing over £35 for a one of those eye T-shirts (sneaky bastards). I have not tried it on yet so can't say anything about the quality but I like the design a lot.

What a show, this more chatty Pixies works really well, they should keep it up, it makes a big difference and injects some energy into the crowd.

Overall, an absolute privilege.
picpic Posted - 03/29/2024 : 11:53:22
https://youtu.be/DN_zXRzMgFM?si=bbK47MTYhL78U66K @1:02:05 Charles singing Bird Dream after so long brings tears to my eyes.

___
"Service Unavailable"
billgoodman Posted - 03/28/2024 : 13:55:23
I would also understand if they would make more Doggerel/Daniel Boone-type songs in the future
It's ok, you are 60 years old in average

picpic Posted - 03/28/2024 : 11:45:17
Another full Paris show https://youtu.be/DN_zXRzMgFM?si=Vl89aNibgSZfgED6

Yes I also notice Dave has some tempo issues sometimes
Drumming must be pretty exhausting and the tour schedule is a bit crazy IMO. Maybe they should slow down a bit to be able to recover between shows. You can hear Charles voice is exhausted on the first full Paris show video I linked a few messages earlier. Sounded way better earlier in the tour.

___
"Service Unavailable"
billgoodman Posted - 03/28/2024 : 11:08:38
Emma sings a new harmony on Wave of Mutilation? Right? She also sings some soul notes on Ana that I've never heard Kim or Paz do.

billgoodman Posted - 03/28/2024 : 11:07:52
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

I for one am really really happy with Emma. Paz was fun and cool and her bass parts were great but the off key singing put me off. Emma's vocals were always great even though mixed too low.
Great gig yesterday and hearing All Over The World played live was quite something. As always I was annoyed by Dave slowing down on every fucking song. If they have earpieces why doesn't he use a click track? I wonder how the other guys manage to keep up with a drummer lagging this way.

Denis

I guess David is in pain sometimes, or tired, or both.
Second night in Amsterdam had a very messy ending, WIMM was the worst rendition I ever heard.

I guess Frank was annoyed like you. He stopped playing guitar because he couldn't click with Dave. I saw Joey being surprised too, when he and Dave started in different tempo's.

rivum Posted - 03/28/2024 : 05:19:09
awesome thanks for sharing picpic!
vilainde Posted - 03/28/2024 : 05:12:27
I for one am really really happy with Emma. Paz was fun and cool and her bass parts were great but the off key singing put me off. Emma's vocals were always great even though mixed too low.
Great gig yesterday and hearing All Over The World played live was quite something. As always I was annoyed by Dave slowing down on every fucking song. If they have earpieces why doesn't he use a click track? I wonder how the other guys manage to keep up with a drummer lagging this way.

Denis
billgoodman Posted - 03/27/2024 : 12:32:07
Nice little nugget: the shows in the Netherlands in August are also slated to be focused on Bossanova and Trompe

picpic Posted - 03/27/2024 : 12:05:43
Paris full show https://youtu.be/fGJRBuB6Gec?si=TjawlPPCyQ8aQzk-

___
"Service Unavailable"
Discoking Posted - 03/26/2024 : 12:23:20
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

i actually do know yes! i noticed it too. he's playing a basic bossanova drum pattern, and he always does it just after frank says 'i bossanova with ya'

nice one!

it's educational
picpic Posted - 03/26/2024 : 10:19:05
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

Great show yesterday.
Looking at the amazing crowd reception of those songs, it's a shame they haven't been played more in the past. I really hope this tour will change the band's mind.

My crazy theory: those were actually too good to be played live.
But what will happen next now that they’ve played the forbidden songs !?

___
"Service Unavailable"
The Holiday Son Posted - 03/26/2024 : 06:16:26
Great show yesterday.
Looking at the amazing crowd reception of those songs, it's a shame they haven't been played more in the past. I really hope this tour will change the band's mind.

Highlight of the Bossanova set : Dig for Fire with the whole crowd singing "no my child this is not my desire"
Highlight of TLM set : erm... the first 7 songs ! (and Lovely Day to my surprise)

Emma was great btw, I don't understand all the fuss. Excellent bass playing and great vocals overall.
Joey was a bit off sometimes...

As an "encore" (they didn't leave the stage), they played Vegas (not bad, not great. Though few songs will sound great after those 2 albums), HCYM (excellent, they should have closed with this one), Wave and WIMM (sigh...)
Bedbug Posted - 03/26/2024 : 06:09:16
Not to be constantly micromanaging this band's decisions, but I think if during the encore they would drop in one random 2.0 song like Get Simulated or Los Surfers or something weird it could get a nice response.
Bedbug Posted - 03/25/2024 : 17:52:16
That is a great clip. Her voice is excellent
picpic Posted - 03/25/2024 : 12:45:22
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot
I don't want to be rude about the new band member, who has really stepped up learning all these songs, old and new, rare too, but so far, I'm not getting any of that from her, and her voice tone doesn't have the kind of Pixies quality to it that Kim and Paz brought.

she's fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bn8K8dNEJo&t=190s
pot Posted - 03/24/2024 : 02:22:17
Has anyone bought a tour t-shirt?
I must say I was down for one but then I looked at the quality of the material and thought no chance for 40 euro!
I bought a Doolittle one and that was much better quality and also the reunion tour t-shirt which was sadly stolen from me in 2010 by a hippy
I really liked the green t-shirt design that had some lyrics from Havalina (well basically all the lyrics I suppose apart from the word Havalina) "Walking in the breeze on the plains of Old Segona"
Don't know who these people are selling these whether it's leget it or not but this is a much more wallet friendly price
https://chocolatecoup.com/pixies-walking-in-the-breeze-on-the-plains-of-old-sedona-shirt?product=725837
But at the gig they were selling it in some army green colour
I also just noticed on this site is says "Sedona" not "Segona" - not sure what it says on the t-shirts though but i guess these are probably bootlegs - I'd still be more happy paying £16 for decent matieral quality than 40 euro for some thin stretchy crap they were selling at the gig
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/23/2024 : 18:01:27
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Loved Paz and always will, not sure her voice quality can be linked with Kim's

They both have similar tones to their voice. The same general register and slightly throaty, breathy quality. If I were a new fan listening to their new albums I wouldn't even know it was not Kim. Emma is a total 180 from that, at least from what I can hear.
Bedbug Posted - 03/23/2024 : 17:26:23
Also, now that I think about it (again), that they were able to move from Kim D to Kim S to Paz to Emma and still produce new stuff and play all the classics (along with the new stuff) kind of speaks to the fact that the bassist shoes can be filled indeed
Bedbug Posted - 03/23/2024 : 17:24:14
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Big shoes to fill. I think it's harder to be the follow up to Paz than Kim Deal to be honest.

Agreed. Paz was one in a million. A female bassist (multi-instrumentalist too), vocalist and songwriter who kind of looks like and sounds like Kim Deal enough to give people a similar feeling with both old and new Pixies songs, but had enough of her own style and personality to not just be a copy. Not to mention a very natural warmth and positive energy on stage, in interviews and on the podcast, making it nearly impossible to dismiss or disparage her as merely a replacement. It seems outrageous to me they let her get away for basically any reason.

I don't want to be rude about the new band member, who has really stepped up learning all these songs, old and new, rare too, but so far, I'm not getting any of that from her, and her voice tone doesn't have the kind of Pixies quality to it that Kim and Paz brought.

Loved Paz and always will, not sure her voice quality can be linked with Kim's, and I'm having no problem with Emma's in the recordings I've heard so far. Still sad to see Paz go though. Peace Paz.
auxfnx Posted - 03/23/2024 : 17:04:05
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

By the way, does anyone know what Dave is trying to do during the bridge when they perform 'Hangwire'? At first, it sounded like a mistake, but he seems to do that at every show. Other than that, I think the band sounds spectacular, and the rarities sound absolutely great. 'Hang wire' and 'Space I believe in' in particular - waited for 20 years and not disappointed !

i actually do know yes! i noticed it too. he's playing a basic bossanova drum pattern, and he always does it just after frank says 'i bossanova with ya'
pot Posted - 03/23/2024 : 14:22:34
I uploaded the first 4 tracks including the intro from the first night at Paradiso - it's not bad quality for a phone but the camera on the Nokia 8.3 kind of sucks a bit - it seems to always do this weird processing on photos which I can't figure out how to turn off and low light isn't great but not bad on the sound and YouTube seemed to to do some HD enhancement on it
Weird stuff coming up about copyright detection but it said everything was fine in the end - had this before so not really sure about it all - anyway hopefully this link will take you to the place and I'll upload a couple of nice Hotel Lux clips tomozzers
Also I would have maybe zoomed in closer to the stage at some point but there was nowhere to put my pint down temporarily and so I had to hold my pint of lager in my other hand while filming - ik hoop jij enjoy dit video

https://youtu.be/gJ976oqXbsU

There was quite a long pause in between Rock Music and Velouria while I assume Joey was tuning his guitar pedals? Charles says something about he "lost his tooth in the pandemic" or something? What does that mean - I'm sure I've heard this line before somewhere too?
pot Posted - 03/23/2024 : 12:17:59
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot
Garbage Heap still remains the most Pixies sounding Frank Black for me

Agreed. And When They Come To Murder Me could have been the new Gouge Away.

I see the fact these tracks didn't get recorded as Pixies albums as a plus - no Dalgety for starters and I think Pixies should have got Jason Carter to produce their new albums going froward from the Bluefinger era - he clearly knows his way around a studio and one album he produced recently won a grammy this year
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/23/2024 : 11:57:46
quote:

Big shoes to fill. I think it's harder to be the follow up to Paz than Kim Deal to be honest.

Agreed. Paz was one in a million. A female bassist (multi-instrumentalist too), vocalist and songwriter who kind of looks like and sounds like Kim Deal enough to give people a similar feeling with both old and new Pixies songs, but had enough of her own style and personality to not just be a copy. Not to mention a very natural warmth and positive energy on stage, in interviews and on the podcast, making it nearly impossible to dismiss or disparage her as merely a replacement. It seems outrageous to me they let her get away for basically any reason.

Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/23/2024 : 11:52:55
quote:
Originally posted by pot
Garbage Heap still remains the most Pixies sounding Frank Black for me

Agreed. And When They Come To Murder Me could have been the new Gouge Away.
pot Posted - 03/23/2024 : 10:30:21
quote:

Joey is doing a theremin-imitation. You can hear that kind of spacey alarm sound on the record, you know?

Cheers - now I know
I taught myself a bit of classical guitar back in the day while some of my mates were going on about effects pedals and stuff
Nice to know finally what is producing this effect

Got to be honest I regret not bagging a space down near the front of the stage but it was my first time in Paradiso and wanted to get a feel for the place - it was all over so quickly I barely remember most of the songs being played now and for all of trompe I was upstairs trying to get a view of the stage - I think it's a bit off to charge to much for such a special performance and then pack so many people in that not everyone is able to see the stage or even enter the main floor after the performance has started - it reminded me somewhat of the 3rd time I saw The Kills at Melkweg in 2008 - previously I saw them at Doornroosje in 2006 to a much less packed venue so it was a more enjoyable experience than Melkweg which by the time it came along the band had reached their peak audience and it was so packed you just had to stay in your spot for the full set
pot Posted - 03/23/2024 : 10:05:43
quote:

Pot, the opening band was The Pale White, not Hotel Lux. Or am I missing something?

Hotel Lux were on right after and as I was upstairs anyway I just walked through straight into the room they were playing

The Pale White seems like a pretty solid band too - I was watching the drummer from the balcony and he was throwing those sticks about and beating hell out of the drum kit so seems like a strong dummer which is always good for a band
billgoodman Posted - 03/23/2024 : 05:07:42
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I didn't feel they were a complete band with Emma who is doing a fair enough job but an album tour rushed together last minute with a new band member is just no for me - I forked out for the Pixies and that included Paz for me who had the years of experience already under her belt to do this - I feel like I've been sold short

Pot, you raise a fair point.

I think Emma is great, but the energy that Paz brought to the band the last few years was really missed.

billgoodman Posted - 03/23/2024 : 05:04:27
The third night of Amsterdam (second time for me) was incredible.
What an energy...David was playing a lot better as well.
Frank too.

Loved it. What a show. One of their best I have seen. I saw them like 7 times now. The day before was easily the worst experience for me. Although I was standing one meter away from Joey. That was kind of neat.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000