Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  09:14:01  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trompe Le Monde is the first Pixies album I heard and got me into Frank Black. My friends used to play it all the time at the comic book store they worked at and it became a really important album for our little group. I have such intense nostalgia for it. To me it was just a Pixies album, not their last album or a lesser renowned album. I of course see it's context now (no Kim presence, songs that would fit well on Frank's solo albums, etc) but it's my favorite Pixies album because of the insane momentum and rocking energy of it.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  11:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Trompe Le Monde is the first Pixies album I heard and got me into Frank Black. My friends used to play it all the time at the comic book store they worked at and it became a really important album for our little group. I have such intense nostalgia for it. To me it was just a Pixies album, not their last album or a lesser renowned album. I of course see it's context now (no Kim presence, songs that would fit well on Frank's solo albums, etc) but it's my favorite Pixies album because of the insane momentum and rocking energy of it.

It was the first Pixies album I bought, along with Complete B Sides.

Absolutely no reason why some of these songs shouldn't feature in setlists to come.
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  11:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something I'd always loved about Pixies when I was young were their stranger tendencies, feeding into what became an obsession with progressive rock and other types of experimental music.
Unusual time signatures and structures were always there with Pixies. But Trompe le Monde is really their most 'progressive album' and became my favourite very quickly.
Definitely came from the same place Frank's first two solo albums came from as well.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  14:10:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Second night in Amsterdam:

Wow, was great to see Joey. His lines on those two records are incredible. Couldn't hear the vocals, since they use in ear monitors. But I enjoyed myself immensely. Songs are the best. Highlights: all over the world, the happening and the Navajo Know.

What a weird ending of a show. They didn't take a bow. They have done that every show, they use it on Instagram almost every night. FBF left the stage after the second song encore. No Vegas Suite. The crowd stayed there for 5 minutes. Even when the house music started playing. People were expecting an encore. But I saw their roadie making a kill signal as soon as FBF walked off.

Maybe it was because they didn't play a very tight set. WIMM as a closer should be a walk in the park. But Dave played it a lot slower than Frank.

Crowd was a little tame too. But very supportive of the songs.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  14:19:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank was in a great mood at the beginning:

Papapapapapapapa ooh moow moow moow
Welcome to the golden oldies

Back to 1893 when Fauré made Sicilienne

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2024 :  14:59:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Apparently he told the crowd yesterday that The Sad Punk was based on The Lonely Surfer by Jack Nitsche

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2024 :  10:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, does anyone know what Dave is trying to do during the bridge when they perform 'Hangwire'? At first, it sounded like a mistake, but he seems to do that at every show. Other than that, I think the band sounds spectacular, and the rarities sound absolutely great. 'Hang wire' and 'Space I believe in' in particular - waited for 20 years and not disappointed !

Edited by - picpic on 03/22/2024 10:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2024 :  12:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

By the way, does anyone know what Dave is trying to do during the bridge when they perform 'Hangwire'? At first, it sounded like a mistake, but he seems to do that at every show. Other than that, I think the band sounds spectacular, and the rarities sound absolutely great. 'Hang wire' and 'Space I believe in' in particular - waited for 20 years and not disappointed !

I wondered that too. It doesn't quite work. Rest of the song sounds great though!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2024 :  20:18:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just the Paris triptych left now then
To be honest I had a great night but I enjoyed Hotel Lux after more - I fucked off before the end to make sure I got in for that and it was worth it as they are a bang bang rock and roll - got some vid footage of them right up the front which I'm going to upload to Youtube in due course along with the first four tracks of Bossers
I decided I was just going to film Cecilia Ann/Alison as it is these songs which tip me over into Pixies fandom back in 1990 when they played those two songs on The Word - so I thought I might as well just do the first four tracks
You can see the weird experimental jammy bit in between Rock Music and Velouria - what was that all about? Throw in a few gimmicks to make up for the lack of effort to add a bit of effect to the performance of these albums especially Bossaz
I didn't feel they were a complete band with Emma who is doing a fair enough job but an album tour rushed together last minute with a new band member is just no for me - I forked out for the Pixies and that included Paz for me who had the years of experience already under her belt to do this - I feel like I've been sold short
Also a bit disappointed in Paradiso as I expected something more like the laid back atmosphere of Doornroosje and other venues before the corporate whores moved in a completely took over fun
I decided to do Bossanova from the first floor where I bagged an early spot with a good view and then go downstairs into the crowd for Trompers via the bar - but alas I couldn't even get in the door - so I ended up back up on the balconies standing on top of things to try and get a better view so all I basically really saw of the rest of the performance was a bit of Joey
As well as that it seems like Paradiso has gone full metal cashless society so luckily I did have a bank card on me that works in NL - no information about that on the website or about the fact they have locker facilities that I saw when I looked - just something about they don't let people in with "large" rucksacks so I ended up leaving my bag at an Irish pub in de Wallen who were too kind to offer to hold it for me you might say and I ended up legging back asking for directions all the way to get there before 1am because I sapped my phone battery recording video so I had no GPS
Then I walked another 2/3 miles back to my airbnb to get hardly any sleep
Plastic pint glasses and also nowhere to sit your pint down not even round the sides is it just me who notices these things? I just would have though a few spots to put your drink down in such a view would be a given but not they instead have angled edges which are impossible for leaning drinks on
Hotel Lux incoming - what an interesting band they are quite diverse and good song writing - they remind me a lot of Art Brut and I got talking to one of them after the gig about that telling him about how Charles produced two of their albums etc and he say he'd never heard of them
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2024 :  20:24:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Yeah, totally. But SVN FNGRS always reminded me of Pixies during Bossanova and Trompe

Garbage Heap still remains the most Pixies sounding Frank Black for me
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2024 :  21:30:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Geeza here innit upload the first 3 songs but missin track 4
From the Dublin posse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Ym46kyFYU

I'll give you the full quart when I upload

I think I could get used to Emma being a Pixie... for a while

It just all seems a bit All About Frank

He needs to realise that while yes we acknowledge he is by far the most dominant song writing force for "the Pixies" the band are still the sum of their parts and need to be treated better than this

I predict one more farewell album and that's the end for the Pixies - for good this time
I don't care anymore because new bands is always where it's at

Will we get a more receptive public to a Frank Black 2.0 reprisal?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  01:26:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pot, the opening band was The Pale White, not Hotel Lux. Or am I missing something?

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  01:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's more than one stage in that venue
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  02:01:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah feeling dumb now
I know
I've seen bands at that stage

Fifty Foot Wave for instance

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  04:57:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Yeah, totally. But SVN FNGRS always reminded me of Pixies during Bossanova and Trompe

Good one, too!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  05:01:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

You can see the weird experimental jammy bit in between Rock Music and Velouria - what was that all about? Throw in a few gimmicks to make up for the lack of effort to add a bit of effect to the performance of these albums especially Bossaz

I always enjoy your thoughts, although they seem to be the opposite of mine, most of the days.

Joey is doing a theremin-imitation. You can hear that kind of spacey alarm sound on the record, you know?

And I have a very hard time to think about a "lack of effort" when they are doing a Bossanova x Trompe Le Monde Tour...they have rehearsed so many old songs

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  05:04:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The third night of Amsterdam (second time for me) was incredible.
What an energy...David was playing a lot better as well.
Frank too.

Loved it. What a show. One of their best I have seen. I saw them like 7 times now. The day before was easily the worst experience for me. Although I was standing one meter away from Joey. That was kind of neat.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  05:07:42  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I didn't feel they were a complete band with Emma who is doing a fair enough job but an album tour rushed together last minute with a new band member is just no for me - I forked out for the Pixies and that included Paz for me who had the years of experience already under her belt to do this - I feel like I've been sold short

Pot, you raise a fair point.

I think Emma is great, but the energy that Paz brought to the band the last few years was really missed.

Big shoes to fill. I think it's harder to be the follow up to Paz than Kim Deal to be honest.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  10:05:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pot, the opening band was The Pale White, not Hotel Lux. Or am I missing something?

Hotel Lux were on right after and as I was upstairs anyway I just walked through straight into the room they were playing

The Pale White seems like a pretty solid band too - I was watching the drummer from the balcony and he was throwing those sticks about and beating hell out of the drum kit so seems like a strong dummer which is always good for a band
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  10:30:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joey is doing a theremin-imitation. You can hear that kind of spacey alarm sound on the record, you know?

Cheers - now I know
I taught myself a bit of classical guitar back in the day while some of my mates were going on about effects pedals and stuff
Nice to know finally what is producing this effect

Got to be honest I regret not bagging a space down near the front of the stage but it was my first time in Paradiso and wanted to get a feel for the place - it was all over so quickly I barely remember most of the songs being played now and for all of trompe I was upstairs trying to get a view of the stage - I think it's a bit off to charge to much for such a special performance and then pack so many people in that not everyone is able to see the stage or even enter the main floor after the performance has started - it reminded me somewhat of the 3rd time I saw The Kills at Melkweg in 2008 - previously I saw them at Doornroosje in 2006 to a much less packed venue so it was a more enjoyable experience than Melkweg which by the time it came along the band had reached their peak audience and it was so packed you just had to stay in your spot for the full set
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  11:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Agreed. And When They Come To Murder Me could have been the new Gouge Away.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  11:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Big shoes to fill. I think it's harder to be the follow up to Paz than Kim Deal to be honest.

Agreed. Paz was one in a million. A female bassist (multi-instrumentalist too), vocalist and songwriter who kind of looks like and sounds like Kim Deal enough to give people a similar feeling with both old and new Pixies songs, but had enough of her own style and personality to not just be a copy. Not to mention a very natural warmth and positive energy on stage, in interviews and on the podcast, making it nearly impossible to dismiss or disparage her as merely a replacement. It seems outrageous to me they let her get away for basically any reason.

I don't want to be rude about the new band member, who has really stepped up learning all these songs, old and new, rare too, but so far, I'm not getting any of that from her, and her voice tone doesn't have the kind of Pixies quality to it that Kim and Paz brought.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  12:17:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Agreed. And When They Come To Murder Me could have been the new Gouge Away.

I see the fact these tracks didn't get recorded as Pixies albums as a plus - no Dalgety for starters and I think Pixies should have got Jason Carter to produce their new albums going froward from the Bluefinger era - he clearly knows his way around a studio and one album he produced recently won a grammy this year
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  14:22:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I uploaded the first 4 tracks including the intro from the first night at Paradiso - it's not bad quality for a phone but the camera on the Nokia 8.3 kind of sucks a bit - it seems to always do this weird processing on photos which I can't figure out how to turn off and low light isn't great but not bad on the sound and YouTube seemed to to do some HD enhancement on it
Weird stuff coming up about copyright detection but it said everything was fine in the end - had this before so not really sure about it all - anyway hopefully this link will take you to the place and I'll upload a couple of nice Hotel Lux clips tomozzers
Also I would have maybe zoomed in closer to the stage at some point but there was nowhere to put my pint down temporarily and so I had to hold my pint of lager in my other hand while filming - ik hoop jij enjoy dit video

https://youtu.be/gJ976oqXbsU

There was quite a long pause in between Rock Music and Velouria while I assume Joey was tuning his guitar pedals? Charles says something about he "lost his tooth in the pandemic" or something? What does that mean - I'm sure I've heard this line before somewhere too?

Edited by - pot on 03/23/2024 17:41:27
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  17:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

i actually do know yes! i noticed it too. he's playing a basic bossanova drum pattern, and he always does it just after frank says 'i bossanova with ya'
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  17:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Agreed. Paz was one in a million. A female bassist (multi-instrumentalist too), vocalist and songwriter who kind of looks like and sounds like Kim Deal enough to give people a similar feeling with both old and new Pixies songs, but had enough of her own style and personality to not just be a copy. Not to mention a very natural warmth and positive energy on stage, in interviews and on the podcast, making it nearly impossible to dismiss or disparage her as merely a replacement. It seems outrageous to me they let her get away for basically any reason.

I don't want to be rude about the new band member, who has really stepped up learning all these songs, old and new, rare too, but so far, I'm not getting any of that from her, and her voice tone doesn't have the kind of Pixies quality to it that Kim and Paz brought.

Loved Paz and always will, not sure her voice quality can be linked with Kim's, and I'm having no problem with Emma's in the recordings I've heard so far. Still sad to see Paz go though. Peace Paz.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  17:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, now that I think about it (again), that they were able to move from Kim D to Kim S to Paz to Emma and still produce new stuff and play all the classics (along with the new stuff) kind of speaks to the fact that the bassist shoes can be filled indeed
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  18:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Loved Paz and always will, not sure her voice quality can be linked with Kim's

They both have similar tones to their voice. The same general register and slightly throaty, breathy quality. If I were a new fan listening to their new albums I wouldn't even know it was not Kim. Emma is a total 180 from that, at least from what I can hear.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  02:22:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone bought a tour t-shirt?
I must say I was down for one but then I looked at the quality of the material and thought no chance for 40 euro!
I bought a Doolittle one and that was much better quality and also the reunion tour t-shirt which was sadly stolen from me in 2010 by a hippy
I really liked the green t-shirt design that had some lyrics from Havalina (well basically all the lyrics I suppose apart from the word Havalina) "Walking in the breeze on the plains of Old Segona"
Don't know who these people are selling these whether it's leget it or not but this is a much more wallet friendly price
https://chocolatecoup.com/pixies-walking-in-the-breeze-on-the-plains-of-old-sedona-shirt?product=725837
But at the gig they were selling it in some army green colour
I also just noticed on this site is says "Sedona" not "Segona" - not sure what it says on the t-shirts though but i guess these are probably bootlegs - I'd still be more happy paying £16 for decent matieral quality than 40 euro for some thin stretchy crap they were selling at the gig

Edited by - pot on 03/24/2024 02:25:49
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2024 :  12:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

she's fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bn8K8dNEJo&t=190s

Edited by - picpic on 03/25/2024 12:45:36
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2024 :  17:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great clip. Her voice is excellent
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2024 :  06:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be constantly micromanaging this band's decisions, but I think if during the encore they would drop in one random 2.0 song like Get Simulated or Los Surfers or something weird it could get a nice response.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2024 :  06:16:26  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great show yesterday.
Looking at the amazing crowd reception of those songs, it's a shame they haven't been played more in the past. I really hope this tour will change the band's mind.

Highlight of the Bossanova set : Dig for Fire with the whole crowd singing "no my child this is not my desire"
Highlight of TLM set : erm... the first 7 songs ! (and Lovely Day to my surprise)

Emma was great btw, I don't understand all the fuss. Excellent bass playing and great vocals overall.
Joey was a bit off sometimes...

As an "encore" (they didn't leave the stage), they played Vegas (not bad, not great. Though few songs will sound great after those 2 albums), HCYM (excellent, they should have closed with this one), Wave and WIMM (sigh...)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2024 :  10:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

Great show yesterday.
Looking at the amazing crowd reception of those songs, it's a shame they haven't been played more in the past. I really hope this tour will change the band's mind.

My crazy theory: those were actually too good to be played live.
But what will happen next now that they’ve played the forbidden songs !?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2024 :  12:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

i actually do know yes! i noticed it too. he's playing a basic bossanova drum pattern, and he always does it just after frank says 'i bossanova with ya'

nice one!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000