Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  13:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not mad on the song on first listen. But I do dig the relaxed vibe and I agree it sounds really really good at 1.5 speed.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  14:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn’t really do anything for me, though I definitely agree that speeding it up helps make it more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  17:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another new song makes a dressing room appearance, this time with the full band.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/iSaJLis2cpEy4vJ5/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  17:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven’t tried the 1.5 speed thing for Vegas Suite, I don’t think it needs it

Now Bad, Wicked World, that is a song that should be played 1.5 at least

Ziggy^ or anyone! Can you post the new song to YouTube link for those that don’t have Zuckerberg?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  19:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Another new song makes a dressing room appearance, this time with the full band.

This one sounds really promising! Some energy, dig it.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  04:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

This one sounds really promising! Some energy, dig it.

Hopefully will get a live airing very soon. Proper 'BTE Demos disk' feel to it.

I don't dislike 'Vegas Suite' but very glad to hear a faster song.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  06:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or the new songs sound like old songs? Used cars?
#128529;

++++
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  14:52:45  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know what I’m ready for? A Pixies / Gil Norton reunion.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  15:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen to that. I'm reaching acceptance phase with Paz departing, and now I really want a change of producer as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  16:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooh sounds like an FB chugger special. I like it.

I watched that on the black francis Instagram on my phone by the way and you don't need an account to view it.

https://www.instagram.com/blackfrancisofficial/reel/C4eWVIHthUZ/?hl=en
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  16:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That does sound great!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  16:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Definitely up for a change of producer, whether it be Norton or someone else. Has Gil produced anyone recently?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  18:09:25  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

Definitely up for a change of producer, whether it be Norton or someone else. Has Gil produced anyone recently?

I honestly didn’t know, just been listening to the Gil albums a lot lately, and hey… pretty hard to argue with that. And IC is fantastic with a few caveats. I really - REALLY - don’t want to get into yet another Dalgety bashfest. If that starts I’ll bow out. But I think Gil really brought out the weirdest in the band. I’d like something else too but I don’t know what. Preferably someone that would force the weird. Charles kind of writes basic stuff you know, it’s not that out there in and of itself, but the people around, the environment, and the producer heavily influence the final product.

I’m gonna stew on it. The easy answer is Gil. They don’t need someone that’s going to “capture them raw” or whatever. I mentioned Rick Ruben at one point a couple years ago. That might be cool. But let’s get weird while they’re still capable of it. Hypothetically speaking. They need someone to help shape the vision. This should be obvious to anyone that knows the man’s work in depth.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/14/2024 18:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  01:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you’re looking for weird, maybe try whoever produced Cult of Ray. Now THAT is a weird album.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  06:03:14  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

If you’re looking for weird, maybe try whoever produced Cult of Ray. Now THAT is a weird album.

Weird.. but also pretty weak. I can't recall where it ranked on our album survivor awhile back (feels like 4ish years ago? can't remember)... but off the top of my head, it lands in the bottom 5 of FB albums for me. Possibly dead last. Not sure what would be below it besides collections like Christmass or Abbabubba.

Also FB produced that one himself

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/15/2024 06:04:34
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  06:35:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Rick Rubin produced two Weezer-by-numbers-records.
Weezer had some new success (White Album, OK Human) when they hired a young producer
Jake Sinclair
He used to play in a Weezer cover band.

That's how you capture that old magic, right?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  07:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be happy with Gil, but I REALLY think they should consider someone like Dan Carey. He's produced a lot of good contemporary wave of Irish-Uk post-punk albums (Fontaines DC, Goat Girl, Squid, Black Midi, etc). The production on Fonatines D.C. reminded me quite a lot of Doolittle, while albums by the other bands I've mentioned are quite experimental/exploratory. He's not young (nearly the Pixies age) but his albums sound both contemporary and timeless.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  08:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Weird.. but also pretty weak. I can't recall where it ranked on our album survivor awhile back (feels like 4ish years ago? can't remember)... but off the top of my head, it lands in the bottom 5 of FB albums for me. Possibly dead last. Not sure what would be below it besides collections like Christmass or Abbabubba.

Also FB produced that one himself

Yes exactly, that was my point re FB producing. He probably wouldn’t to do it at this stage but I for one would love it. Give us the pure Frank, Final Cut, Inland Empire kind of album

Also, CoR gets stranger and stronger by the decade, so keep spinning I know you will :-)
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  10:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
But I think Gil really brought out the weirdest in the band. I’d like something else too but I don’t know what. Preferably someone that would force the weird. Charles kind of writes basic stuff you know, it’s not that out there in and of itself, but the people around, the environment, and the producer heavily influence the final product.

But I think the fundamental issue for me with new Pixies material is that at its core it's not weird, whereas in the old days at its core it was weird, aggressively so (lyrically, structurally, arrangement, etc.) So having Frank's Catholics-y tunes being "weirded up" to be Pixies songs...to me this is a totally losing formula. Which is why if he was just putting out these songs in ways that fit the song better rather than forcing round pegs into square holes...we'd all be happier.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  11:11:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would like him going down the path of Leonard Cohen

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I would like him going down the path of Leonard Cohen

Virginia Reel and the song Doggerel would both suggest you're onto something.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  11:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure of the genre, maybe dad rock or folk rock or whatever, but often think Black could easily morph into some sort of modern day JJ Cale churning out these nice easy-listening songs like The Lord Has Come Back Today and Thunder and Lighting (which could fit onto Troubadour no bother). Or New Morning era Dylan.

quote:
But I think the fundamental issue for me with new Pixies material is that at its core it's not weird, whereas in the old days at its core it was weird, aggressively so (lyrically, structurally, arrangement, etc.) So having Frank's Catholics-y tunes being "weirded up" to be Pixies songs...to me this is a totally losing formula. Which is why if he was just putting out these songs in ways that fit the song better rather than forcing round pegs into square holes...we'd all be happier.

Agree with this. Like for instance Vegas Suite is nice and all but it sounds so jarring being on a setlist amongst Trompe le Monde and Doolittle songs.

And I have no doubt that these backstage versions will please us more than whatever form they take on the new album. Inevitably they will sound too polished and have a weird intro or whatever.

Edited by - The Maharal on 03/15/2024 11:52:54
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  11:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And actually, just remembered - Black was planning a country-ish solo album until Dalgety heard about it and told him to make them Pixies songs.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  12:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember when FB the album came out, weren't you like "this doesn't sound weird enough (and that of itself is weird)"? It sounded so normal compared to pixies. I even remember thinking "I met a man he was a good man" sounded too mainstream, even corny or country. And then a beach boys cover, so straightforward. (But then found out that pixies actually covered it earlier.). So yeah, weirdness on the level some are looking for seems to be relegated to 1.0.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

And actually, just remembered - Black was planning a country-ish solo album until Dalgety heard about it and told him to make them Pixies songs.

Yeah this is like THE smoking gun. I think he should have just let him do that. Bring some weird material to the Pixies, and the softer country folky stuff for solo, two outlets for two of the sides of Frank Black. I mean, maybe that's too conservative an arrangement, but I kind of like how much that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  16:09:32  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
But I think Gil really brought out the weirdest in the band. I’d like something else too but I don’t know what. Preferably someone that would force the weird. Charles kind of writes basic stuff you know, it’s not that out there in and of itself, but the people around, the environment, and the producer heavily influence the final product.

You’ve mentioned Indie Cindy though as something you dig, and I think weirded up FB songs are exactly what that album is, with the exception of Bagboy.

I’ll also add that I’d be totally fine if the Pixies called it quits. I’m on record all over this thread for years saying I prefer as much as possible however he wants to put it out. The pixies schtick is limiting. So if they’re going to insist on it, might as well try to get weird with it. Or not. I really don’t give a shit, I’ll buy it whatever it is. Was just making conversation based on a wistful mood for the old Gil Norton stylized stuff.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/15/2024 16:17:38
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  18:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The country album would have been sick
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2024 :  23:01:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just want him to make a record a year again
Love everything he does

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  12:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another snippet of a new song on instagram. Sounds nice. It's possibly another one from the country album he planned with Bobby Bare Jr.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  13:40:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Another snippet of a new song on instagram. Sounds nice. It's possibly another one from the country album he planned with Bobby Bare Jr.

https://fb.watch/qROQ6dvc5M/

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2963 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’ was beautiful

Totally gives me country album vibes

Hope we get to hear it more

He’s staring to get quite a stockpile of unreleased songs that we’ve only heard scraps of or just YouTube versions etc. Hope at the very least we get ABBAbabba 2.0 iot something much more
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three new songs in about 7 days! He seems to have the song writing bit very much between the teeth. This one feels FMRM. Does not sound Pixie-ish at all. Might we get solo and a Pixies record during the next 12 months???
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
You’ve mentioned Indie Cindy though as something you dig, and I think weirded up FB songs are exactly what that album is, with the exception of Bagboy.

I disagree. Most of that album has the Pixies essence of songwriting to me. It's a pretty big departure from Frank's solo stuff before that. That's why I like it, but I don't like Head Carrier, which sounds like a Catholics album in the works but produced like a half-baked Pixies album.

That third new song is really nice and again, it just makes me want another mellow Frank album. I don't want to see that song Pixies-ified.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 03/16/2024 14:27:02
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  14:33:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or maybe he could release it as a Pixies song this way

You know, from Caribou to Navajo Know is quite a stretch. Why can't there be a singer/songwriter ficker pickin pixies songs?

I don't care...release it all

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  18:10:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wellp. I’ll go back to what I have spilled a Stephen King passion projects worth of digital ink on right here on these boards for years, I guess. Guys, it’s like ten of us here now. Not sure what we’re even debating anymore. It’s like a hall of mirrors at this point.

I want it all, I want the fast man raider man version of pixies, or that plus pixies, or whatever.

I buy it all. I listen to it all. That’s it.

Beyond that I’m just kind of pissing in the wind because other than you guys no one else will sit around and dork out about the nuances of Charles Thompson with me. Gil. Dalgety. FB. BF. FBF. FB&C. PIX. DIKPIX. I don’t know guys. We’ve beaten the living shit out of all things Pixies around here and especially since it’s down to this proud few. I bop back in every half year or so and it’s like picking up the same conversation.

Hoping for something new. Or new old. Or old. Or old new. Whatever.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/16/2024 18:11:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000