-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 The Night The Zombies Came

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
billgoodman Posted - 10/01/2022 : 01:35:25
What we know (in chronical order):

- Doggerel was made with the 40 demo's/ideas that Frank (and a couple more from Joey) brought to the sessions. They had some good songs that didn't fit the record so they were put aside (acording to FBF in the French Rolling Stone)

- Paz says the band worked on 16 of the 40 songs (bass magazine interview) [12 were released on Doggerel]

- In april (source?) of 2022 the Pixies and Tom Dalgety recorded for a week in Rockfield Studios (Wales).

- One of the songs Frank liked from the demo's, but did not do during the Doggerel-sessions, that they tried to record in Wales. Bluesy, stomper song, "I enjoyed it as an acoustic demo" [...] they tried to make it bigger, better and louder, but "in the end it was just too loud", "too much information". It didn't work out, it was failure, "thank god we didn't release this because we were in a rush"
(interview on Raised on Radio)

- Joey brought some songs to the table again (working titles Howie's Garage, I hear you mary, Taking care of bid'ness, according to Uncut interview). They recorded three ideas in Rockfield (according to Under the Radar interview), maybe those three?

- Paz recorded two songs for it (according to BF in French interview)

- Frank to SPIN: [On Doggerel] "I think that’s one more writing collaboration than has appeared on any other disc in the Pixies catalog. I imagine there will be much more collaboration forthcoming. I sense it.”

- Session in Wales didn't go that well, acording to FBF in Ultimate Music Guide :
"I was not in a good mood for lots of reasons"
I was very frustrated because now Mr Fucking Producer wants to work on all the fucking artsy-fartsy scraps from the margin. I got all these 40 fucking songs I wrote, for once in my life I do my homework............Now I show up with the goods and they're like [] these werid little things that you didn't intend over here bla bla
[ ]
I threw my notebook on top of the roof [..] I threw about three temper tantrums in about eight days

- Joey in Under the Radar:
"we have recorded so far about seven or eight demos for the next album. There will be a ninth album, we’re planning that already. After a good amount of a break, we will start recording again some time next year. We’re already kicking around what part of the world to work and record in next time"

- October 2023: Pixies record a new session with Tom Dalgety at Guilford Sounds, same place were Doggerel was recorded

- Paz leaves the band in october 2023 - march 2024

- Pixies play Vegas Suite, a new song, on the Bossanova Trompe tour

- Pixies rehearse a new song, which is posted on instagram: https://fb.watch/qROLONNt-1/

- Frank Black plays a new song, which is posted on instagram:
https://fb.watch/qROQ6dvc5M/

- 11 song titles are published on the BMI website

It's here: https://pixies.tmstor.es/

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brank_Flack Posted - 07/26/2024 : 06:02:20
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I dunno, I quite like the line 'Now I'm dealing with decapitation'.

How does one normally deal with decapitation? It has an element of dry wit, just another ailment to contend with.

Thanks, this is a more appealing and generous way of interpreting it than my previous hunch that it was an inartful redundancy.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 07/26/2024 : 05:53:39
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
And with There's a Moon On being an alleged example, I'd be curious to hear what anyone thinks the song is about?

Just seems like a bunch of cliches as a way of saying "hey man, I go crazy!! CRAZY!!!" Just in your genre of songs about being a wild man, using the full moon cliche as your base.

A song could be about anything and be good or bad, it's all in the delivery. My problem with that song is it is full of awkward, clunky lines that I consider pretty dumb. But my other problem is finding the music/melody not very good either.
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 07/26/2024 : 05:37:10
Well... It makes me want to wait for "The Night Frank Black Will Come Back"...

++++
billgoodman Posted - 07/26/2024 : 05:17:40
It has a classic vibe in the post chorus and verse and outro

Sprite Posted - 07/26/2024 : 02:38:47
The Chicken song has more comments on the official YouTube lyric video after day and half than You're so Impatient after a month. Most of them positive.
Bedbug Posted - 07/26/2024 : 02:35:58
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

How does one normally deal with decapitation? It has an element of dry wit, just another ailment to contend with.

There was that chicken that survived decapitation for what 2 years or so, kinda makes me feel sick.

Maybe there's hints of a more human nature of sensing mortality or cognitive decline.

I totally agree. It was a very unexpected choice of words. Certainly more weird than dull, and was in fact also humorous and made me laugh.

YouTube comments on Chicken seem quite favorable
Bedbug Posted - 07/26/2024 : 02:33:38
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

About customers of Frank's brother's bar turning into assholes because of the full moon

Interesting
Stevio10 Posted - 07/26/2024 : 02:09:32

There was that chicken that survived decapitation for what 2 years or so, kinda makes me feel sick.

Maybe there's hints of a more human nature of sensing mortality or cognitive decline.
presley1 Posted - 07/25/2024 : 23:35:09
The guitar tone borrows from Magnetic Fields 'Chicken with its head cut off'.

Oh my golly!
billgoodman Posted - 07/25/2024 : 21:30:10
About customers of Frank's brother's bar turning into assholes because of the full moon

Bedbug Posted - 07/25/2024 : 18:33:40
I think I'm hearing you guys, thanks for putting the effort in.

It seems the argument has moved from "simple" to "dull" and "clunky."

I'm going to think about this.

And with There's a Moon On being an alleged example, I'd be curious to hear what anyone thinks the song is about?
Troubles A Foot Posted - 07/25/2024 : 16:15:53
quote:

I still don't see it but I'm not trying to be obstinate. Maybe I just need to focus or unfocus.

Peachy peach kissy kiss, man is five devil is six, is she white promised to night, odd past - I think all of those 1.0 albums have simple lyrics that go way deeper than they first seem, and maybe that's true with Vegas suite and Chicken too?

I can't fathom not seeing a difference between the lyrics. I don't even know what to say, to be honest. Your post in and of itself would prove my point. None of those I would call "simple", but keep in mind my criticism is not that the new lyrics are simple, but dull.

If you think something weird like "I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss" is boring, I'm just confused. That's on its face a weird line that you wont find in any other song ever written. Are you listening to a lot of music with lyrics like that on the Top 40 stations?

"If man is 5 then the devil is 6 then god is 7" is a line that captures your imagination and has ambiguity and an ominous, huge feel to it and has become iconic for fans. Fans are still debating about what Is She Weird is even about.

I can't understand seeing no difference.

I agree 100% about the new lyrics being clunky, with There's A Moon On as my prime example. I don't enjoy listening to the song because the words embarrass me. And now all this zombie movie stuff, and I say this as a huge horror movie fan of zombie movies, this is 13-year-old lyric writing stuff. Out of a junior high school notebook.
Brank_Flack Posted - 07/25/2024 : 15:47:50
It's possible, but take the example of Bone Machine and "I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss" - it sounds great! The resolution of "He bought me a soda, he bought me a soda, he bought me a soda and tried to molest me in the parking lot" is an unexpected and funny left turn. Or, "Our love is rice and beans and horses lard" - it works incredibly well! There's an almost Joycean playfulness with language that meshes wonderfully with the music.

Whereas the "now I'm dealing with decapitation" resolution I pointed to above strikes me as clumsy.

Just to be clear: I'm not claiming FB is incapable of writing a poetic lyric anymore. I think, for example, that All the Saints, Daniel Boone, Death Horizon, and Doggerel are all brilliant in their own way.
Bedbug Posted - 07/25/2024 : 15:07:01
Thanks for the corrections Brank and Skate Alex. I should have known that.

I still don't see it but I'm not trying to be obstinate. Maybe I just need to focus or unfocus.

Peachy peach kissy kiss, man is five devil is six, is she white promised to night, odd past - I think all of those 1.0 albums have simple lyrics that go way deeper than they first seem, and maybe that's true with Vegas suite and Chicken too?
Brank_Flack Posted - 07/25/2024 : 14:54:16
You Can't Break A Heart and Have It is a cover of Herman Brood.

I think there's a world of difference between Pixies 1.0 and 2.0 lyrics, but that's obviously to be expected. What's concerning is not if the lyrics are simple and silly (lots of great rock lyrics are), but if they sound clunky. I'm of the opinion that lyrics often only stand out when they're noticeably good or noticeably bad - it's okay for lyrics to fall in the middle and for the focus to be on the music/melodies/moods, but it becomes a problem if a line sticks out like a sore thumb and takes you out of the song.
Skatealex1 Posted - 07/25/2024 : 14:30:19
quote:

I think I'm starting to lose it, but I just can't see the difference between the 2.0 lyrics and the 1.0 lyrics

I'm leaving the FB and FB&C's lyrics out of it

But I'm glad the debate rages

Are these copied and pasted lyrics weird or not weird?

You can shoot the breeze
You can shoot your shit
You can shoot it up
Ah, you can shoot from the hip

You can break the rules
You can break your balls
You can break your neck
You can break your back

But you can't break a heart and have it
You can't break a heart and have it

You can shoot the breeze (shoot the breeze)
You can shoot your shit (shoot your shit)
You can shoot it up (shoot it up)
You can shoot to Berlin (shoot to Berlin)

You can break the rules (break the rules)
You can break your neck (break your neck)
You can break your balls (break your balls)
You can break your back (break your back)

I think that song was a cover? But even so- on Bluefinger there was a raw live feel on it that made it sound exciting even if it had some silly or simple lyrics at times.

IE- Threshold Apprehension- might sound like simply rap lyrics at times but it's a fun and exciting song to me ear.
Bedbug Posted - 07/25/2024 : 14:10:56
I think I'm starting to lose it, but I just can't see the difference between the 2.0 lyrics and the 1.0 lyrics

I'm leaving the FB and FB&C's lyrics out of it

But I'm glad the debate rages

Are these copied and pasted lyrics weird or not weird?

You can shoot the breeze
You can shoot your shit
You can shoot it up
Ah, you can shoot from the hip

You can break the rules
You can break your balls
You can break your neck
You can break your back

You can shoot the breeze (shoot the breeze)
You can shoot your shit (shoot your shit)
You can shoot it up (shoot it up)
You can shoot to Berlin (shoot to Berlin)

You can break the rules (break the rules)
You can break your neck (break your neck)
You can break your balls (break your balls)
You can break your back (break your back)

Troubles A Foot Posted - 07/25/2024 : 12:28:27
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

No, he clearly wants to develop himself in that regard
Simple, classic, generic lyrics

He has done weird and spontaneous

I'm not just saying the lyrics should be weird.

You can do simple lyrics that are deeply powerful and relatable.

Honeycomb and Fast Man/Raider Man has a lot of songs with really moving, sad, sweet, but simple lyrics. In The Time Of My Ruin, or Terrible Ways, or If Your Poison Gets You, etc. There are Catholics songs that have more direct, less abstract lyrics but they still hit me hard. "If all your dreams came true then you must be completely full of it". Out of State, Cold Heart of Stone, etc.

I'm not simply advocating for weirdness, though that's always appreciated. I'm advocating for something moving. A fine turn of phrase.
hickster9 Posted - 07/25/2024 : 10:31:31
pot, you were actually quite close with this October 2022 prediction!
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I predict the next album will drop on the 19th September 2025 - following a string of mediocre single promotions through the summer - but when the album drops it'll be full of great tracks

I like cows, they go moo when they eat
Ziggy Posted - 07/25/2024 : 07:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I listened again last night and enjoyed it more. The production choices for the chorus which originally irked me seemed to gel better the second time around. I can imagine it working well within the context of the album, I just hope we have some more ambitious songs (whether lyrically or musically) to go along with it. He's still capable of it when the inspiration hits: I listened to BTE on vinyl for the first time in a while last night and was blown away.

I quite like 'You're So Impatient' (although the live versions - even the FB page acoustic one - sound way better than the recorded one).

I suppose 'Chicken' is 'atmospheric', but it's not much of a song. And like 'Vegas Suite', it really drags.
Brank_Flack Posted - 07/25/2024 : 05:47:28
I listened again last night and enjoyed it more. The production choices for the chorus which originally irked me seemed to gel better the second time around. I can imagine it working well within the context of the album, I just hope we have some more ambitious songs (whether lyrically or musically) to go along with it. He's still capable of it when the inspiration hits: I listened to BTE on vinyl for the first time in a while last night and was blown away.
billgoodman Posted - 07/25/2024 : 04:12:18
No, he clearly wants to develop himself in that regard
Simple, classic, generic lyrics

He has done weird and spontaneous

Troubles A Foot Posted - 07/24/2024 : 23:38:40
This just sounds like Vegas Suite to me which we already know closes the album, and which I'm also not a big fan of. If there's a third song this mellow, laid back and country-fied, we're looking at a really sleepy album here. Unfortunately the uptempo You're So Impatient kind of puts me to sleep as well.

I'm hoping there's at least A FEW that I love on here. All the songs released so far are the most uninteresting lyrics I've ever seen from Frank. I was hoping There's A Moon On was a temporary thing.
Mad Lucas Posted - 07/24/2024 : 23:12:03
I like the new tune. Pixies albums often have a sweet cleanser track after the weirdness of other tracks and this seems like a nice one of those.

I did find You're So Impatient very generic, might be up there with Ring The Bell as my least favourite Pixies tune.
Skatealex1 Posted - 07/24/2024 : 18:51:28
It's possible the song could be a grower or work nicely in the context of the album. Just hope for a couple more uptempo or twisty tracks perhaps. Guess time will tell soon enough.
natenate101 Posted - 07/24/2024 : 15:06:13
In terms of the last few albums, the write ups and descriptions of the songs have been far more evocative and interesting than the songs themselves. This stuff is paint by numbers for Charles, he could write all these in his sleep.
Sprite Posted - 07/24/2024 : 14:40:43
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Well, at least they've come up with an album title worse than Indie Cindy.

That’s hilarious
Bedbug Posted - 07/24/2024 : 14:14:25
Yeah it’s kind of a weird dream vibe to me, courtesy of Joey and Dave - that’s the weirdness I’m talking about. I think the fact of having a song called Chicken is even a bit weird for the Pixies

I’m not sure if Emma is on this track or not, but nothing bad in that department

I won’t beat my dead chicken again re: 2.0 lyrics, but 1.0 lyrics are not exactly prose

I really like these first two songs and can’t wait for the rest of the album (I feel like I typed that same sentence one year ago)
Stevio10 Posted - 07/24/2024 : 13:55:45
Sounds good to me, sounds very much like second generation Pixies.

Can hear a mesh of ominous Silver Snail bass, Vault of Heaven Joey with big chorus Daniel Boone.

Lyrics, well BF seems to be taking the Reid Paley approach in recent years by taking the less is more stance - and I'm fine with that although I sure could do with an acrostic about now!

Appreciate everyone's opinion but disagree it is bland. Nice ominous thudding drums over Joey's inverted 'Wicked Game's solo is brilliant.
billgoodman Posted - 07/24/2024 : 13:32:42
I like the big chorus, sounds okay to me, but maybe me hearing is off
Is it like the weird Vault of Heaven volume changes (in the lead vocal of "heaven" for instance?)

Brank_Flack Posted - 07/24/2024 : 13:21:50
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Magnetic Fields "Chicken With Its Head Cut Off" did a song like this but part of the joke of that song is its a country music cliche we've all heard a million times, and haha, isn't it funny for an ironic West Village hipster songwriter to be utilizing it in his indie college album, how "blue collar" of him, tee-hee.

Frank using it just feels boring to me though.

Interesting! I'm clearly not plugged in enough to that world to catch it.

The Maharal Posted - 07/24/2024 : 13:17:10
Well, at least they've come up with an album title worse than Indie Cindy.

The song is OK despite the lyrics and ridiculous volume change. And it joins a pantheon of songs with "down on my knees" as a central refrain (see also Future of the Left - Something Happened, Bob Dylan
- Please Mrs Henry and Nick Cave - Mercy). Could have sworn there was another BF song with this as well but possibly not.
Skatealex1 Posted - 07/24/2024 : 13:15:19
Yeah. I'm afraid it feels kind of bland to me. Maybe like a decent Catholics soon with more production but with Catholics I feel like it might have some interesting switch up in it. Overall I'm left feeling a bit like Dogerrel mediocrity. I don't see many people getting excited by it during a Pixies show.
billgoodman Posted - 07/24/2024 : 13:13:05
That's a weird verse to me
Maybe not good as poetry

A young, wild Pixies arrangement with FBF squeaking these lines and we would have accepted this in the 80's and 90's
At least I would

Troubles A Foot Posted - 07/24/2024 : 13:10:03
Magnetic Fields "Chicken With Its Head Cut Off" did a song like this but part of the joke of that song is its a country music cliche we've all heard a million times, and haha, isn't it funny for an ironic West Village hipster songwriter to be utilizing it in his indie college album, how "blue collar" of him, tee-hee.

Frank using it just feels boring to me though. "Now I'm dealing with decapitation." All the zombie stuff. Just such direct, plain lyrics. Almost teenage like. I mean the album title sounds like something a 13 year old kid would do for his basement band.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000