Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  22:16:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Should get Jeremy Dubs back and re-do any vocals - I would argue it would make the songs better

Pff.. why don’t they just get an AI algorithm to recreate the Kim Deal signature sound?
I mean who needs an actual real person who just happens to fit in perfectly with the band
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2024 :  22:41:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jeremy Dubs would be fine, but I do hope one last album with Paz will be released
If it's in the can, which I think it is

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2024 :  16:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who would own the rights to the unreleased Paz album? Could the label (BMG) release the record at their own discretion? This is giving me flashbacks to the recently-lost Morrissey album.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  00:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The last four records were all owned by the band. Released by labels under license.
Frank has worked that way since the Catholics days.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
183 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2024 :  19:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smart man.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  22:32:37  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
FBF with Emma rehearsal of new song: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4UFHxVN43w/?igsh=cW56cnV3d3p2eHlh

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  00:18:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pixies play new song live: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/YkszpgLW4kVHjQjD/

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  08:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

FBF with Emma rehearsal of new song: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4UFHxVN43w/?igsh=cW56cnV3d3p2eHlh

Sounds very DITSy to me Emma has a lovely voice.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  08:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pixies play new song live: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/YkszpgLW4kVHjQjD/

Is it the same one on the instagram clip? I am not able to view the facebook link.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  09:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Had the same exact reaction. It's still weird to me that Frank is just doing his thing and Pixies are his backing band, and that he's not writing what one would expect Pixies songs to be. And I'm still conflicted because I like the songs, but I put myself in the mind of the audience at these shows who are only fans of the Pixies and they must be like "what is with these new songs??" Obviously there's some consistent thread of Frank's personality throughout all his work, but when he started doing the Catholics it really felt like a different chapter to me (he wasn't THAT old but they sound like "Mature Frank" to me), and a lot of these new Pixies songs keep sounding like that.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  10:08:42  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Trouble, we’ve went deep on this before, but my opinion is that I don’t think there are Pixies songs and Frank Black songs, they’re all just songs by the same guy through the years as he changes and ages, and depending on the band and his mood, they’re gonna sound a certain way. He doesn’t actually have multiple personalities, even if he’s sort of metaphorically “taking off the Frank black hat and putting on the Black Francis hat,” it’s still just him, and he knows one way to do it: write what he can when he can. The muse is the muse, ya know? You can’t force it. No one can.

Bob Dylan is mentally incapable of writing and recording a modern Stuck Inside of Mobile. Paul McCartney, given another 100 years, ain’t gonna churn out another Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey. And Charles is not going to write another Mr. Grieves. It’s just not how human nature goes. 35 year old Charles was incapable of that. Closest we got was the Finger era, and that’s what chased Deal away (remember all the “fakey” commentary). Btw, I adore the Finger era stuff.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/10/2024 10:11:40
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  10:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Well Trouble, we’ve went deep on this before, but my opinion is that I don’t think there are Pixies songs and Frank Black songs, they’re all just songs by the same guy, and depending on the band and his mood, they’re gonna sound a certain way. He doesn’t actually have multiple personalities, even if he’s sort of “taking off the Frank black hat and putting on the Black Francis hat), it’s still just him, and he knows one way to do it: write what he can when he can. The muse is the muse, ya know? You can’t force it. No one can.

Bob Dylan is mentally incapable of writing and recording a modern Stuck Inside of Mobile. Paul McCartney, given another 100 years, ain’t gonna churn out another Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey. And Charles is not going to write another Mr. Grieves. It’s just not how human nature goes.

For me, the only time it's really affected the live experience has been a lot of the Doggerel material. All those mid tempo songs back to back out of necessity. Sucked a lot of energy out of the room at the couple of shows I saw.

It's been interesting over the years to see Charles/Joey talk about their own interpretation of what makes a "Pixies song". Undoubtedly theirs is a magical partnership.

Edited by - Ziggy on 03/10/2024 10:22:32
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  10:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

Had the same exact reaction. It's still weird to me that Frank is just doing his thing and Pixies are his backing band, and that he's not writing what one would expect Pixies songs to be. And I'm still conflicted because I like the songs, but I put myself in the mind of the audience at these shows who are only fans of the Pixies and they must be like "what is with these new songs??" Obviously there's some consistent thread of Frank's personality throughout all his work, but when he started doing the Catholics it really felt like a different chapter to me (he wasn't THAT old but they sound like "Mature Frank" to me), and a lot of these new Pixies songs keep sounding like that.

Well said man, I’m with you on this. When I hear that clip of the new song I just wish it was a solo FB song. Doesn’t sound Pixies at all to me. Similar to a lot of Doggerel which is why I didn’t connect with it. While hearing new stuff is usually exciting, this one just makes me feel more of the same is coming. We’ll see though.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  11:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Ziggy’s point (“sucked the air out of the room”) is the main issue.

FBF (and team) can play anything 1.0 in any order at any time and it’s a Pixies show by most people’s standards.

As soon as you drop in certain (not all but many) 2.0 songs into the playlist you just feel the difference. I absolutely love “Who’s More Sorry Now?”, it’s one of my top 20 FBF songs, but there’s no way to just play that song in the middle of songs from CoP.- TLM and expect it to sound like it fits.

Maybe that’s punker than punk?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  13:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm glad people are picking up on what I mean here. I also really like Who's More Sorry Now but it's a totally different universe from Pixies 1.0, and while I can enjoy it, I'm honestly distracted by wondering what the audience is making of it, and even in youtube videos you can hear the drop in enthusiasm in the room. And I am saying this as someone who connects more to Frank's solo material the Pixies stuff. But it just...feels weird to be seeing them doing stuff like that at a Pixies show. I agree with nate where I hear it and just kind of wish it was a solo album, and that Frank reserved some of the freakier stuff for Pixies. But then that's kind of conservative, to say "Pixies has to be this and Frank solo has to be that", so I get why some might disagree with that. But Pixies to me is a certain feel, it's not a specific tempo or chord progression or lyric, but a feel...and while I like this new song, it's yet another one where I think well, that has no relation whatsoever to what a Pixies song is, in my mind, and probably in most audience's mind.

I mean....I think Frank's original instincts in ending Pixies and doing whatever he wants a solo artist made the most sense. Because I find the current situation quite odd.

Also, what "fakey" thing about Bluefinger...? Bluefinger is one of my favorite albums of all time. I also find it odd he could pull that out but when actually making Pixies albums, doesn't really aim for that kind of wild, unrestrained feel.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 03/10/2024 13:22:07
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  13:57:24  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, to Ziggy’s points, the main thing that really Pixes up the sound is Joey’s guitar. As for new material, I haven’t seen them live in several years and haven’t checked out any setlists. So they generally play the a handful of new songs altogether instead of spacing them out? If mid tempo runs of songs are a problem live, I wonder how well the Bossanova run of Is She Weird through The Happening will be received.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/10/2024 14:09:13
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  14:02:52  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, what "fakey" thing about Bluefinger...? Bluefinger is one of my favorite albums of all time. I also find it odd he could pull that out but when actually making Pixies albums, doesn't really aim for that kind of wild, unrestrained feel.

At the time there was a lot of discussion around here about comments made by I think Charles saying the Pixies had tried new material but Kim complained about it sounding “fakey.” I can’t remember if Charles confirmed it or not (it’s been too long), but I think he did, that she was specifically talking about Threshold Apprehension and maybe a few others that ended up on Bluefinger. My hunch was always that several of those tracks were intended for a Pixies album.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  15:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
If mid tempo runs of songs are a problem live, I wonder how well the Bossanova run of Is She Weird through The Happening will be received.

I was trying to say this, it's not just that they are mid-tempo. Many Pixies songs are mid-tempo but they are undeniably Pixies songs and not Catholics songs. It's the attitude, it's the feel, it's the POV and it's the wonky structure and unpredictability. It's not just the tempo. It's not one thing. It's a collection of things.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  15:55:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
If mid tempo runs of songs are a problem live, I wonder how well the Bossanova run of Is She Weird through The Happening will be received.

I was trying to say this, it's not just that they are mid-tempo. Many Pixies songs are mid-tempo but they are undeniably Pixies songs and not Catholics songs. It's the attitude, it's the feel, it's the POV and it's the wonky structure and unpredictability. It's not just the tempo. It's not one thing. It's a collection of things.

I hear ya. We’ve definitely beat this to death in the past. Obviously there’s a huge difference in Pixies 1.0 and pretty much everything else he’s done, and it’s all the things you cite. Of course. I just don’t think it’s worth getting annoyed or upset that new Pixies doesn’t match the old stuff. I take an “it is what it is” attitude is all. Hell there are people out there that think Bossanova and Trompe suck and the last “real” pixies album was Doolittle because Deal was marginalized afterward supposedly.

It’s not really theoretical or academic at this point. They’re calling it Pixies, and they’ve done 4 albums of this stuff now. So, it’s Pixies. They’re not alone in changing what they do and how they do it over a career. Pretty much every band does. I’m sure there are examples that don’t. I guess AC/DC is an all time “don’t fuck with the formula” example. The Ramones maybe? Pretty much no one can maintain the intensity and creativity of youth. Shit just stops being fresh and exciting.

The list is a mile long of artists in the same boat as modern Pixies. He can call it Pixies or The Grateful Derp and I’ll sign up to hear it expecting it to sound pretty much nothing like Doolittle.

I completely believe that backed up against the old stuff, the new stuff drags down a show. It did the last time I saw them which was maybe right before or right after Head Carrier. I haven’t been too interested in going the last few times they were in town. The first time I saw them was 05 and it was mind blowing because, “oh shit! It’s the pixies! Who ever thought this would happen!!” Saw them a few more times through the next years but the excitement and my interest in the show dropped slightly each time. It was kind of like seeing Tom Petty. Great show, but you get exactly what you expect. A jukebox of best of material and a couple new tunes. They’re just not the kind of band I like to see multiple times. I’m a big deadhead and Phish Fan. I get bored with the usual setlists. Although I’d LOVE to see the Bossanova / Trompe tour.

Lost track of what I was talking about.

Back to the main topic of the thread… I wonder if they actually have an album recorded or not. I know the first pass at it was a disaster with Charles flipping out and throwing his notebook on the roof because he showed up with a bunch of full songs ready to go and Dalgety was like “nah, what’s this little scribble here in the margins though? That looks neat!” I know they reconvened (when was that? Fall?) Did it actually work out the second time? Was Paz’s political storm during those sessions? Does the band have a bad taste in their mouth from that and don’t even want to release it if it is in fact in the can? So many questions.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/10/2024 16:08:49
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  16:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting points. The whole notebook in air was in a scrapped session in Rockfield I think around the time Doggerel was announced by Frank. Maybe indeed there was already some band tension building.

That clip with Emma did not feel like an off the cuff jam to me. So maybe there is a new album in the can, and that's a song from it? Or maybe it's an even super brand new.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  16:40:59  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very interesting points. The whole notebook in air was in a scrapped session in Rockfield I think around the time Doggerel was announced by Frank. Maybe indeed there was already some band tension building.

That clip with Emma did not feel like an off the cuff jam to me. So maybe there is a new album in the can, and that's a song from it? Or maybe it's an even super brand new.

Yeah it definitely sounds like things were tense but I don’t know what drivers there were other than Dalgety annoying Charles. As for the new song I agree. Could be hot off the press but who knows.

I think the days of Charles writing albums for breakfast are over. Which is a bummer. I miss the prolific output of the old days but like I was saying, hard to keep up that kind of enthusiasm and output. In the decade before the EP’s came out he churned out Devil’s Workshop, BLD, SMYT, Honeycomb, FMRM, Christmass (sort of an album but not really), Bluefinger, Svn Fngrs, NSE, and The Golem. That’s ten albums in ten years compared to 4 in the following ten years.

I know he channels a lot of that creative energy into painting these days. Or he was for awhile there. Not sure what he’s up to lately. Besides Pixies and touring that is. Plus the family. Having a family and being a dad is a pretty big thing, and if you enjoy it and you’re good at it, your passions and other hobbies happily take a back seat. Not that it’s a hobby for him, but you know what I mean. It sounded like for Doggerel (on the podcast / videos) he hadn’t really written anything since BTE and wasn’t thinking much about it until Tom called up and was like, “hey buddy, it’s record making’ season again, get crackin’.”

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  16:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Rockfield session was right after the 6 Music Festival show in Cardiff. Doggerel had been in the can for months by that point, although Charles revealed the title during press interviews on the day of the show.

Official line from the band's camp was 'no new album' planned from the Rockfield jaunt - although it's a fair assumption that an eight day stretch there (plus producer!) would hope for more than a kick about in a practice space...

'Mid tempo' aside, the tricky thing with several of the Doggerel songs in the live sets was they required a guitar change for Charles. Can't think of any other songs in the Pixies canon capped at the third fret - and they prefer to swap guitars out for that. So that made it harder for new songs to rub shoulders with classics (such as with Um Chagga Lagga/Isla de Encanta, or Cecelia Ann into St Nazaire).

The "fakey" quote I think came from Charles himself, although he did allude to band members not returning his emails about demos at one point. He was quite magnanimous in one interview 15 years or so back about hoping Kim would contribute songs to a potential 'new Pixies album'.

Edited by - Ziggy on 03/10/2024 16:44:40
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2024 :  22:10:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He also said that all BF-albums could have been Pixies albums

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2024 :  04:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sincerely enjoy how this debate never ends around here.

If someone finds Vegas Suite on YouTube please link.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2024 :  22:25:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Vegas Suite: https://youtu.be/B0wTmFFr84U?si=cY3gNaWlqHYhKrpj

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2024 :  23:44:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can you imagine Vegas Suite being twice as fast. Like Wave of Mutilation on Doolittle is way faster than Wave of Mutilation as a b-side?(UK Surf)

I can. Would be fantastic. I think the vocal melody and the chords are good enough the sing with way more energy and up tempo.
The bridge would be even crazier. That's what I would push them band into as a producer.

But, I do understand that it would also be "fakey" in a way.

If FBF feels like being a troubadour I'm on board.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  00:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bill for the link!

What a freaking cool song

I really dig that

Frank Black is so cool

And Emma sounded spectacular

More please
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  01:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking about it I believe it could go nicely with All the Saints and Death Horizon at a show
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  01:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could wish that Frank would add some screams during Emma’s oohs
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  01:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vegas Suite is gorgeous. Some lovely Frank Black energy.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  01:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank singing “I don’t hate you. I forgive you” at the end
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  04:15:55  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Thinking about it I believe it could go nicely with All the Saints and Death Horizon at a show

Let's hope Vegas Suite turns out so good, on record.
I do believe those songs are modern classics. And I also really think those two are Pixies songs and not FB backed by Pixies.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  04:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Let's hope Vegas Suite turns out so good, on record.
I do believe those songs are modern classics. And I also really think those two are Pixies songs and not FB backed by Pixies.

Interesting! I think the opposite but that’s why I love the Forum!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  11:52:57  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can you imagine Vegas Suite being twice as fast. Like Wave of Mutilation on Doolittle is way faster than Wave of Mutilation as a b-side?(UK Surf)

I can. Would be fantastic. I think the vocal melody and the chords are good enough the sing with way more energy and up tempo.
The bridge would be even crazier. That's what I would push them band into as a producer.

But, I do understand that it would also be "fakey" in a way.

If FBF feels like being a troubadour I'm on board.

I tried it at 1.25x on YouTube and it sounds just about right. 1.5x it starts sounding a little goofy. 2x is pretty hilarious.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2024 :  12:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting a bit of The Real El Rey vibes from Vegas Suite.

Maybe it's just the tempo or chord similarity with Frank on acoustic, liking it

Edited by - Stevio10 on 03/13/2024 12:56:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000