Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  23:06:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You have a way with words!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1275 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  23:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I feel you. Indie Cindy is very energetic. And has some killer songs, that drag on forever.
Vocals sound downright awful to me. Female element is also missings.

The vocals on Indie Cindy are the best they have sounded so far in the entire 2.0 era. What Goes Boom sounds ferocious and explodes out of the speakers. Magdalena is so spacey and layered just like on Bossanova. Frank sounds so youthful and like the album literally came out right after Trompe.

Genuinely don't know what people are hearing sometimes...

I agree with this. FB singing for the Pixies just sounds so much better multi-tracked. Compare any of the leads on Indie Cindy with say the two verses on Silver Bullet (a great song but the vocal delivery really grates me nowadays). I just think Gil Norton really knew how to get Franks voice into the sweet spot.
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  23:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking recently, I'd rank BTE as the top 2.0 album (and the BTE demos might be second) but I think Nomatterday and Doggerel are my favorite 2.0 songs.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  23:40:36  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

I was thinking recently, I'd rank BTE as the top 2.0 album (and the BTE demos might be second) but I think Nomatterday and Doggerel are my favorite 2.0 songs.

Yeah those songs are classics. And BTE and the demo's and the podcast made that era so good. A shame the tour was cancelled during Covid.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  23:42:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

quote:

I feel you. Indie Cindy is very energetic. And has some killer songs, that drag on forever.

The vocals on Indie Cindy are the best they have sounded so far in the entire 2.0 era. What Goes Boom sounds ferocious and explodes out of the speakers. Magdalena is so spacey and layered just like on Bossanova. Frank sounds so youthful and like the album literally came out right after Trompe.

I agree with this. FB singing for the Pixies just sounds so much better multi-tracked. Compare any of the leads on Indie Cindy with say the two verses on Silver Bullet (a great song but the vocal delivery really grates me nowadays). I just think Gil Norton really knew how to get Franks voice into the sweet spot.

Maybe it depends on the song. Andro Queen is drenched in reverb, I also suspect some artificial tuning of the vocals. Same with Greens and Blues.

But his vocal on the verses of the title track and bagboy sounds better than a lot of 2.0

IC was a missed opportunity.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  00:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe it depends on the song. Andro Queen is drenched in reverb, I also suspect some artificial tuning of the vocals. Same with Greens and Blues.

But his vocal on the verses of the title track and bagboy sounds better than a lot of 2.0

Agree with you on IC's main problems. Some great songs, but many of the performances are just too slow, and drag on forever. You get the sense that a fear of sounding too contrived pushed them too far in the other direction.

Some revealing interviews from around the time about Joey not wanting to sound 'like Joey' too. Some great guitar work on the album but not enough of the trademark squall.

The Kim situation certainly didn't help matters. Clearly the story changes slightly over what the plan actually was at Rockfield (did Kim really think they were there for a month just to record four songs?!), but I can't help wonder whether the eventual songs choices changed somewhat without a female vocalist in the mix (we can be pretty sure some of the songs that later appeared on HC were at least demoed by BF at that point). The album needed songs like 'Oona', 'Classic Masher' and 'Women of War'.

Not sure the EP strategy really helped matters either.

Would love to see Gil at the helm again though. When you think of the 'challenging' circumstances of the recording, everyone deserves credit for the fact the record got made at all!

Edited by - Ziggy on 09/18/2024 00:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  00:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree with you on IC's main problems. Some great songs, but many of the performances are just too slow, and drag on forever. You get the sense that a fear of sounding too contrived pushed them too far in the other direction.

Some revealing interviews from around the time about Joey not wanting to sound 'like Joey' too. Some great guitar work on the album but not enough of the trademark squall.

The Kim situation certainly didn't help matters. Clearly the story changes slightly over what the plan actually was at Rockfield (did Kim really think they were there for a month just to record four songs?!), but I can't help wonder whether the eventual songs choices changed somewhat without a female vocalist in the mix (we can be pretty sure some of the songs that later appeared on HC were at least demoed by BF at that point). The album needed songs like 'Oona', 'Classic Masher' and 'Women of War'.

Not sure the EP strategy really helped matters either.

Would love to see Gil at the helm again though. When you think of the 'challenging' circumstances of the recording, everyone deserves credit for the fact the record got made at all!

++++
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  01:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure 'Ring The Bell' was meant to be sung by Kim Deal.
Very soon, artificial intelligence will make possible switching voices from any recordings. So, we will be able to hear IC and all the 2.0 Pixies songs with the voice of Kim Deal. It might be just as good as hearing the Bag Boy chorus. It will change history again by deleting it. Oh,Baby, That's Art. :)

++++

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 09/18/2024 01:05:11
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  01:55:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ring the Bell is another song that feature lead vocals that sound bad to me
It's a good song, I guess, just skip a lot of the repetition and let a woman sing it. Good call, Joey Joe Jr, that should have been Kim.

Pagan Man should have been Paz too. And Long Rider should have never been a duet. Or have a wall of vocals.

When I listen to Motoroller I hear some great not overproduced vocal performances. Maybe it isn't good on the technical side of recording (I have not checked compression or anyhting) but the vocal arrangement is how I like FBF to sound.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3067 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  03:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not sure I can see Kim on those songs really, but who knows. I think Ring the Bell is like the HCYM of IC. Shame they haven’t really done it live.

Motoroller is good. More interesting lyrics (still quite minimal) like his use of the word “telephone”
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
954 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  08:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I 100% agree. I was thinking the same thing when re-listening to it last month.

I do like the approach to the vocals on Motoroller, which might be my favourite of the batch.

As of now I'd probably go:

Motoroller
Oyster Bed
Chicken
Vegas Suite (live)
You're So Impatient

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

986 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  12:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the telephone bit was a small nod to the Nerves / Blondie Hanging On The Telephone.

I'd consider all the 2.0 albums to be fairly so-so overall. Some lovely moments but also a lot of crud. Indie Cindy had the best songs but almost every song needs a trim. I love Ring the Bell but it continues on far too long.

Saw this comment about another band on another forum recently and don't think it's too far off the mark: ''I heard one of the tracks released from it and was underwhelmed, thought the whole thing would be a watered down, sad, plodding reincarnation like Pixies.''

Quite like Oyster Bed and Motoroller (official release sounds way better than the rehearsal video) though so maybe this new album will plod less.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
880 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  15:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh let me be super clear and clarify this:

The worst thing about IC's vocals is whatever processing or autotuning is happening which is noticeable on those songs you mention. I basically consider this a musical crime to do this on Frank's voice.

But I think OVERALL the spacey, atmospheric, layered, messy and dreamy sound to the vocals on IC is way better than the fairly direct and polished sound on the following albums.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  21:29:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could be right about this
Maybe they went for dreamy and got carried away with the fx

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
880 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  22:30:57  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah actually this is something I've been wanting to talk about, how Pixies vocals sound sometimes:

A good example is Dig For Fire. Ok. I work in audio production a lot but I just can't figure out how those voices sound the way they do. I know there's reverb, layering, etc, but it just sounds so beautifully full and kind of purposefully messy and so lush and huge. There's also this breathy quality that is so pleasing to my ear, and Frank really only does this again on some Indie Cindy songs and then...never again?

But "I'm digging for fire..." I would love to look at those tracks and FX and see how they achieved that. Bossanova is full of that but I think it reaches the highest point with Dig For Fire.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2024 :  23:35:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes!

And I think Pixies 2.0 are way better in achieving a kind of Bossanova-vibe than any other classic Pixies 1.0-albums.

Would be great to get vocals like the very catchy, but still cool, Dig for fire

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000