50 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2024 :  05:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm loving Oyster Beds...keep coming back to it
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6114 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2024 :  10:07:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Only heard it like 3 or 4 times but this is another great one indeed

Instant classic

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1102 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2024 :  12:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just listened to it again and feel Oyster Beds is very Roxy Music in its vocal delivery
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3067 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2024 :  01:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would have been a cool album for them to do a podcast for
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6114 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2024 :  09:53:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they recorded one (a podcast) with Paz during their sessions

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2024 :  05:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

It'll be interesting to find out the split of Rockfield vs Guilford Sound recordings. 'Oyster Beds' and 'I Hear You Mary' date from the former, going from the song by song notes. So not a complete washout as had been claimed. Though clearly not enough in the bag for that to have made a release in its own right.
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2024 :  19:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what the logic is in this album having such a long lead-up. If the pattern holds, we're going to get a 4th single in a couple weeks, then the album still won't come out for another month.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6114 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2024 :  23:10:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

It'll be interesting to find out the split of Rockfield vs Guilford Sound recordings. 'Oyster Beds' and 'I Hear You Mary' date from the former, going from the song by song notes. So not a complete washout as had been claimed. Though clearly not enough in the bag for that to have made a release in its own right.

Thanks for this info, forgot that. The session after Doggerel was recorded, but before it was released, right?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6114 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2024 :  23:17:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

I wonder what the logic is in this album having such a long lead-up. If the pattern holds, we're going to get a 4th single in a couple weeks, then the album still won't come out for another month.

There are still 8 songs we haven't heard, 10 if you count Motoroller and Vegas Suite. 7 if you coun't the Jane-snippet from the dressing room.

I would prefer to keep it that way, have a nice surprise in october. But if they release a 4th single I'm gonna listen to it! Just 2 a 3 times.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1275 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2024 :  14:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have grown to enjoy these long gaps between the first singles and the album. Since BTE I follow a plan of deliberating choosing a band catalogue that passed me by for whatever reason. Last time round it was Roxy Music and Wire. This time round it's been New Order. I knew most of the singles but never got the albums. Am absolutely hammering two of their 80s releases at the moment and still plenty untouched so should make it to October without listening to Oyster Beds and anything else new that drops.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3067 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2024 :  14:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

I have grown to enjoy these long gaps between the first singles and the album. Since BTE I follow a plan of deliberating choosing a band catalogue that passed me by for whatever reason. Last time round it was Roxy Music and Wire. This time round it's been New Order. I knew most of the singles but never got the albums. Am absolutely hammering two of their 80s releases at the moment and still plenty untouched so should make it to October without listening to Oyster Beds and anything else new that drops.

What a great idea Sprite

I did something similar with REM and Jane’s Addiction, two bands I’ve heard tons of songs from but never listened to everything they did. Anyway, I like the way Frank and team are releasing these songs a bit at a time in the 2.0 ere since IC. And seems like Kim is doing it too with her more recent stuff?
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2024 :  07:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This time round it's been New Order. I knew most of the singles but never got the albums. Am absolutely hammering two of their 80s releases at the moment and still plenty untouched so should make it to October without listening to Oyster Beds and anything else new that drops.

new order is a great choice for this - not just because they have so many amazing songs but also because most of their singles weren't on the albums. people only familiar with the singles (or the incredible substance compilation) have a lot of happy discoveries in store. enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2024 :  07:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have tried to do things like this also but I find my brain just can't retain so much music at once. Do you have some method that works? Sometimes I'll try listening to the first album over and over, etc, but still, often nothing clicks I think because I get so intimidated by how much is out there. The only sort of successful recent one for me has been The Replacements, to the degree that I got a few new favorite songs, which hasn't happened to me in a long time.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1102 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2024 :  09:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For fans of New Order, remember to check out 'Electronic' if you haven't already - Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr's (amongst others) side project, really great.

I found that Spotify's 'This Is...' playlists are pretty good for getting an idea of which albums to check out when listening to unfamiliar music. Then diving into the album which tracks click the most.

Don't have Spotify or any streaming subscription now as a bit burnt out on music but got into The Feelies and especially their album The Good Earth this way.

The Replacements, yeah love them. Can't Hardly Wait is one of my favourite songs ever - Justin Townes Earle did a nice cover of it. His album Harlem River Blues is great, shame he was taken far too soon.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1275 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2024 :  23:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rivum

quote:

This time round it's been New Order. I knew most of the singles but never got the albums. Am absolutely hammering two of their 80s releases at the moment and still plenty untouched so should make it to October without listening to Oyster Beds and anything else new that drops.

new order is a great choice for this - not just because they have so many amazing songs but also because most of their singles weren't on the albums. people only familiar with the singles (or the incredible substance compilation) have a lot of happy discoveries in store. enjoy!

Indeed it is. The funny thing is my favourite song is Run which I didn't realise was a single. Absolute tune. I also have to pinch my myself that Technique was out the same year I was at home completely obsessing with Doolittle. It's that idea that in record stores both Tecnhnique and Doolittle were probably besides each on the shelves. I know how majestic one of them is but I'm only discovering about the other 35 years later. And that leads to the question what the hell else did I have a close shave but miss out on?

More than enough to keep busy until Zombies appear
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1275 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2024 :  23:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

I have tried to do things like this also but I find my brain just can't retain so much music at once. Do you have some method that works? Sometimes I'll try listening to the first album over and over, etc, but still, often nothing clicks I think because I get so intimidated by how much is out there. The only sort of successful recent one for me has been The Replacements, to the degree that I got a few new favorite songs, which hasn't happened to me in a long time.

Yes I do, I mix things up a bit. Depends on the artists. I totally get the intimidation thing. So if I'm not in the mood for 'effort' I'll just pick an album that is well regarded and I know some hits are coming e.g Parallel Lines, Back in Black, Songs in the key of life.

New Order or Roxy Music were more a research project approach because I know have heard enough over the years to know I am on similar wavelength. During BTE I got into DeerHunter big time. And during Head Carrier it was Talk Talk.

And if I don't get some sort of rush with 3 album plays I am done. Not matter how many critical plaudits something might have. It's got to click. I'm after that adrenalin rush you get from that secret album track that you imagine nobody else knows about. Frank Black is absolute master of that particular artistic form.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1275 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2024 :  23:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

For fans of New Order, remember to check out 'Electronic' if you haven't already - Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr's (amongst others) side project, really great.

I found that Spotify's 'This Is...' playlists are pretty good for getting an idea of which albums to check out when listening to unfamiliar music. Then diving into the album which tracks click the most.

Don't have Spotify or any streaming subscription now as a bit burnt out on music but got into The Feelies and especially their album The Good Earth this way.

The Replacements, yeah love them. Can't Hardly Wait is one of my favourite songs ever - Justin Townes Earle did a nice cover of it. His album Harlem River Blues is great, shame he was taken far too soon.

I bought the first Electronic album back in the day as I loved Get the Message and I was a big Smiths fan. But now you've made me realise I should check out the others!

And here is a confession. I don't know any songs by The Replacements! I'll have to add them to the research list for the pre-release period of the next Pixies record.

I know REM and Janes Addiction well though since the early days. Been caught staling was a mainstay on the dancefloor in my youthful days.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
194 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2024 :  00:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Motoroller single later today
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
159 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2024 :  07:47:25  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really? I don't see anythng anywhere about it :/

quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

Motoroller single later today

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/14/books/funny-novels-humor.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/books/review-lake-of-urine-guillermo-stitch.html
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2024 :  08:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is here: https://youtu.be/UmZMaqS_-dU
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2024 :  08:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s a song. It’s fine. Nothing much happens. It’s Motoroller!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6114 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2024 :  09:11:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One listen in:

Good old song by good old Frank
No fan service here, when we are speaking of Pixies fans
Like Chicken and Oyster Beds better but still nice to have
Recording isn't that special on the first listen, but also not bad

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3067 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2024 :  18:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots to like in that song

New album looking real good
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
194 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2024 :  21:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yall were cold on Doggerel's singles and I loved that record. much warmer on Zombie's singles has me nervous. anyone else avoiding the singles until the album drops or just me?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  00:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love Motoroller!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1275 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  00:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

yall were cold on Doggerel's singles and I loved that record. much warmer on Zombie's singles has me nervous. anyone else avoiding the singles until the album drops or just me?

I'm with you tamefan. I've listed to Impatient and Chicken but nothing else. Saving myself till the album comes out. I do think overall this two single opening combo is one the strongest in the 2.0 era.

Edited by - Sprite on 09/17/2024 00:20:31
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  00:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For most, if not all of those new songs I would say: Nothing to write home about. They are not bad, but also not something I consider exciting.

But this applies to me for all of Pixies 2.0. There are literally very few songs (not even mentioning albums) which I consider exciting. Although I didn't like it when it came out (and still don't really like it that much), I think IC was their best. At least it has some drive, they wanted to show that they are back, one feels a healty nervosity and the urgency to perform and sing a song. Everything that followed, had much more of the laid-back, "nice-sounding" approach of Honeycomb and FM/RM. If it is down to the producer (old folks here may remember the discussion on John Tiven), is hard to tell for me - but there seems to be an empirical correlation.

Not to be misunderstood, I largely still like the songwriting. As for the performance of the songs, I feel there is a certain recipe with less and less surprises/edges, and more of more-of-the-same (lack-luster is word which comes to mind). For the lyrics, for me there is a distinct change after FM/RM. The lyrics-writing has always evolved, starting with surreal short stories, targeting seemingly random topics (Bossa/Trompe/Imperial period/start of Catholics), and getting a bit more personal and also more elaborate (late Catholics up to FM/RM). But no matter how little or how much wordy they were, or what the topic was - for me they always were in a way very precise, and literally drew incredible, vivid pictures which stick in my mind until today. I cannot say the same for the lyrics after FM/RM.

This all of course is just my opinion/feeling, and in no way intended to qualify the music or output of the Pixies. I'm very, very, very grateful for all the man and his entourage have created and still are creating. It is of course unbelievable and fantastic how enganged and active they are, and for me there are very, very, very few artists which are on par with their output and legacy.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6114 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  05:19:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feel you. Indie Cindy is very energetic. And has some killer songs, that drag on forever.
Vocals sound downright awful to me. Female element is also missings.

Still, I think HC, BTE and maybe even Doggerel are better albums, because they feel way more coherent and like something Frank wants to make.

Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1656 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  06:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally BTE and the demos have been the highlights of Pixies 2.0 recordings. I agree about some of the drive with Indie Cindy though- I could imagine a rawer/less producer version of that album with some of the songs being trimmed down to be more snappy, being quite more effective for it.

For the new song I think it's pretty good. Nothing that stands out so much to me but not bad either. So far of the new batch Oysters is easily the highlight for me (maybe better than most Doggerel songs too). Curious to hear how the rest will sound.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
953 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  11:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the song on first listen. I think it's interesting, in general, to see Charles attempt to blend a more natural and mature style of songwriting to the Pixies sonic pallet.

(To join the side conversation: I am a big IC convert, while BTE is my favourite of the 2.0s. I think of Indie Cindy was an ambitious attempt to prove themselves against the 1.0 back catalogue, and the following albums as a move towards a more naturalistic songwriting approach following the critical drubbing of IC. I now think IC was, despite some flaws, much more successful than it initially appeared. BTE, meanwhile, was to my mind the best blend of Frank Black and the Pixies.)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3067 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  12:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we did a thread on "Rank the Eras of FBF"

I don't think anyone put 2.0 ahead of either 1.0. or solo / imperial FB, or FB&C's, or solo BF, but maybe some put it ahead of Duchy or post-FB&C's solo albums?

I couldn't find the thread but didn't look very long, and it might be fun to do it again since there's been the same amount of 2.0 albums as 1.0 albums at this point (once Zombies comes out)
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
953 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  12:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds worth doing. For what it's worth, I'd put Pixies 2.0 over the post-imperial, pre-alt-country, mid-to-late 90s four-piece period (i.e., Cult of Ray/FB&TC/Pistolero/Oddballs).

Meanwhile, I think it's about even with the Black Francis solo era. I think Bluefinger and Beneath the Eyrie are about tied as my favourite post 2007 albums, and Indie Cindy would probably follow in my top 3. The gap between IC/HC/BTE/Doggerel and Bluefinger/Svn Fngrs/NSE/The Golem is pretty tight if there is one - I could probably be swayed either way. I'm might even be more inclined to either see them as a single BF 2.0 era, but I digress.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  18:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I feel you. Indie Cindy is very energetic. And has some killer songs, that drag on forever.
Vocals sound downright awful to me. Female element is also missings.

The vocals on Indie Cindy are the best they have sounded so far in the entire 2.0 era. What Goes Boom sounds ferocious and explodes out of the speakers. Magdalena is so spacey and layered just like on Bossanova. Frank sounds so youthful and like the album literally came out right after Trompe.

Genuinely don't know what people are hearing sometimes...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6114 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  21:11:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like the lead vocals on those songs, yes
The backing vocals though...and stuff like Another Toe and Andro Queen sound awful

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2024 :  21:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They sound atmospheric and mysterious and cool to me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000