Page: of 19

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2024 :  10:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Am I right that we’ve gotten 5 albums from FBF in the last decade?

That’s remarkable when you consider all the variables, and compare him to other bands that don’t do anything new (love you Ween)

None of the 2.0 albums may be my favorites of his, but they all range from good to great, which is such a gift

And re: Chicken, how not surprising that the song is growing on many of us. Doing what he does best

I’m not trying to be a jerk here but I think the goodwill towards BF is immense and we are all likely to at least somewhat like most of what he creates. That’s just based on his presence in our lives for this long. His is a voice we have heard for like 30+ years now and we have followed his windy path throughout. Personally it seems to me FBF fans are very understanding and accepting of the art he puts out, even when it is levels below his previous work. He has earned that with his insane discography and work ethic. That’s a good thing but I also feel it doesn’t really hold the artist to higher standards in terms of feedback and criticism. Most are just happy he and the band are still making music and have found such success so late in their careers. It’s all a bit too nice for me, especially the further removed we are from the initial 2.0 finding their feet era. But I’m also looking to feel just a bit of that old magic with each new release. Nomatterday gave me bits of that on the last album, but I really don’t want to hear Pixies being comfortable. Doesn’t feel right, but it seems to be the current reality.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2024 :  11:43:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They can be comfortable, just be good
Bossanova sounds mostly comfortable to me
It's the best one!

And FBF can do what he wants. Live shows are fantastic.
BTE was very good.

They still have a classic in them. He surely does. Pixies or not.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3062 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2024 :  13:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

That’s remarkable when you consider all the variables, and compare him to other bands that don’t do anything new (love you Ween)

None of the 2.0 albums may be my favorites of his, but they all range from good to great, which is such a gift

And re: Chicken, how not surprising that the song is growing on many of us. Doing what he does best

I’m not trying to be a jerk here but I think the goodwill towards BF is immense and we are all likely to at least somewhat like most of what he creates. That’s just based on his presence in our lives for this long. His is a voice we have heard for like 30+ years now and we have followed his windy path throughout. Personally it seems to me FBF fans are very understanding and accepting of the art he puts out, even when it is levels below his previous work. He has earned that with his insane discography and work ethic. That’s a good thing but I also feel it doesn’t really hold the artist to higher standards in terms of feedback and criticism. Most are just happy he and the band are still making music and have found such success so late in their careers. It’s all a bit too nice for me, especially the further removed we are from the initial 2.0 finding their feet era. But I’m also looking to feel just a bit of that old magic with each new release. Nomatterday gave me bits of that on the last album, but I really don’t want to hear Pixies being comfortable. Doesn’t feel right, but it seems to be the current reality.

I hear you nate. You didn't come off like a jerk, jerk, jerk in any way. I think your points about goodwill, magic, reality, all hold water.

I think all cult members need to engage in cognitive dissonance from time to time. The cult of Frank is no dif

I would be interested to hear of other artists in any medium whose 2.0 phases, or 6th decade on earth, produced the same level of content as their earlier years. I'm not sure I'd have any nominees for such a list, other than Twin Peaks the Return.

I continue to be in awe of what this guy can do, from a live performance of Debaser in 2024 where he seems to have boundless energy, to a song called Chicken that makes his most ardent fans debate the meaning while creating a dream state for others.

I'm really loving 2.0, and don't consider it to be the Pixies. What does that make me?

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2024 :  15:04:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would be interested to hear of other artists in any medium whose 2.0 phases, or 6th decade on earth, produced the same level of content as their earlier years. I'm not sure I'd have any nominees for such a list, other than Twin Peaks the Return.

I think Morrissey has put out some of the best work of his career in the latter era of his career. He's incredibly prolific (he currently has TWO finished, unreleased albums), and maybe it's that he keeps getting new and young band members to keep things fresh but there's always great stuff. Each new album has some duds but also some new classics. Like has made me cry classics.

They Might Be Giants had a rough "is it over?" period during the 2000s, but have bounced back, and their latest few albums are fantastic. I mean...the level of their earlier years? Probably not. But not a huge dropoff.

Camper Van Beethoven, like the Pixies, fell apart, were separated for a decade or so, and then reunited with maybe the best album they have ever made, New Roman Times. Their albums after are great too.

To name a few.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1655 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2024 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I hear you nate. You didn't come off like a jerk, jerk, jerk in any way. I think your points about goodwill, magic, reality, all hold water.

I think all cult members need to engage in cognitive dissonance from time to time. The cult of Frank is no dif

I continue to be in awe of what this guy can do, from a live performance of Debaser in 2024 where he seems to have boundless energy, to a song called Chicken that makes his most ardent fans debate the meaning while creating a dream state for others.

I'm really loving 2.0, and don't consider it to be the Pixies. What does that make me?

Can definitely think of some artists who have managed to kind of keep the original magic to some degrees-

One that comes to mind with a caveat thst they only released a second album in a lot of years but My Bloody Valentines follow up to Loveless was a quality shoegaze record though they release so infrequently.

I'd also argue the band Animal Collective and artists in it like Panda Bear and Avey Tare still manage to change their sound over the years and still keep the quality pretty high and evolving as they release new music over the years. They might be a bit younger than Pixies though but still- they're pretty prolific musicians.

One more- I'd argue they're some of the best musicians out there- but Radiohead manages to keep their albums at top quality as they release music over the years in both older and more recent eras of their music.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
950 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2024 :  15:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave would be the gold standards for writing into your late 50s and beyond. Their late albums are either on par, or at the very least in conversation with their youthful peaks.

I think an important part of being in the Cult of Frank is sticking with a songwriter who, as good as his middle-to-later years are, had a pretty drastic decline after TOTY. The difference from that run to Cult of Ray-FB&C-Pistolero is massive, even if you like that material. As much as I love Dog in the Sand/Black Letter Days/Honeycomb/Bluefinger/BTE, etc. etc. there has been plenty of hit-and-miss ever since (even on those records), but we all love his quirks/idiosyncrasies as a cult songwriter. This is all to say that I don't think taking the good with the bad is not necessarily new to late Pixies 2.0 fandom.

I think the more interesting critical comparisons, which have been made above, aren't Pixies 2.0 with Pixies 1.0, but with the Catholics/Nashville/Black Francis eras.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2024 :  23:21:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been following Weezer and Guided by Voices for ages and the first can't do no good among their own fans since 2000.
That's almost three decades of bashing. Some of their output in recent years (White, OK Human, Winter) was excellent.

Guided by Voices on the other hand have a small but very loyal fan base. Everything Robert Pollard does is being treated like the gospel.
He has released over 100 albums, not counting singles, EP's or live recordings, and every single one is loved by his fans.
They are always happy. It's almost anoying. But not as anoying as Weezer-fans complaining that Weezer doesn't sound like Pinkteron anymore.

Weezer took some chances, and failed. Tried to stay relevant for the masses, and has some surprising succes doing so. That's all gone now.
GBV/Pollard stayed mostly true to their origins, but can do anything within the rock idiom. New line up plays some long proggy songs in hi-fi that's totally different than the short, quirky lo-fi days.

Pixies and FBF fall somewhere in between.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3062 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2024 :  03:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

For me Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave would be the gold standards for writing into your late 50s and beyond. Their late albums are either on par, or at the very least in conversation with their youthful peaks.

I think an important part of being in the Cult of Frank is sticking with a songwriter who, as good as his middle-to-later years are, had a pretty drastic decline after TOTY. The difference from that run to Cult of Ray-FB&C-Pistolero is massive, even if you like that material. As much as I love Dog in the Sand/Black Letter Days/Honeycomb/Bluefinger/BTE, etc. etc. there has been plenty of hit-and-miss ever since (even on those records), but we all love his quirks/idiosyncrasies as a cult songwriter. This is all to say that I don't think taking the good with the bad is not necessarily new to late Pixies 2.0 fandom.

I think the more interesting critical comparisons, which have been made above, aren't Pixies 2.0 with Pixies 1.0, but with the Catholics/Nashville/Black Francis eras.

Agree re: Dylan's writing, he's as good as ever. But there's been a lot of other expected changes too, as with 1.0 to 2.0. (For live differences see Jokerman on Letterman then do The Night We Called It a Day on Letterman). But again I will grant you Dylan's writing, he's one in a lifetime.

Agree re: post-TOTY decline. I've said that the CoP to TOTY run is the greatest run in music. (Although everything from Bossa to TOTY took time to grow on people, I don't remember anybody saying differently back then, it was always, "still not as good as Surfer and Doolittle". Having said that, how much have you come to love CoR now?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2024 :  04:10:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
CoR was dire
The first Catholics til DITS is magic

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

985 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2024 :  09:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's got the usual three or four great songs but I have never been able to take Pistolero seriously.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2024 :  23:14:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

It's got the usual three or four great songs but I have never been able to take Pistolero seriously.

Really, love all of it!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3062 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  02:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doolittle was the last album he released where 100% of listeners loved 100% of the album upon release?

Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
144 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  02:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would put Kristin Hersh up there with FBF for contemporary artists putting out gold into their 50s.

It's not the fault of either that they defined a genre in their 20s and thus their contemporary work is seen as comfortable. That's my view anyway. There's going to be strong and weak points but they will always be worth giving serious consideration.
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
159 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  02:37:43  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope. I didn't like Silver.

quote:

Doolittle was the last album he released where 100% of listeners loved 100% of the album upon release?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/14/books/funny-novels-humor.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/books/review-lake-of-urine-guillermo-stitch.html
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
159 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  02:46:01  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, I thought Norton's production on 'Dead' was a bit of a let-down compared to the live version I'd heard by that time on Snub TV. Moaning is an age-old art.

quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

Nope. I didn't like Silver.

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/books/review-lake-of-urine-guillermo-stitch.html

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  02:59:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was panned by OOR, which was the leading pop music magazine in The Netherlands in that era

They loved Surfer Rosa
and they loved Bossanova

Of course OOR nowadays is all "Doolittle is the classic"

To me personally I don't think it's 100 % good. He hate Silver, the outro of N. 13 Baby is way to comfortable (haha!) and I Bleed is a bit too much. I would lose those two songs and swap them for some of the b-sides. Yep, I went there!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3062 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  03:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, so everything people are saying about The Night The Zombies Came people were saying about parts of his classic albums 30 years ago

Que Sera Sera

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1273 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  06:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

It was panned by OOR, which was the leading pop music magazine in The Netherlands in that era

They loved Surfer Rosa
and they loved Bossanova

To me personally I don't think it's 100 % good. He hate Silver, the outro of N. 13 Baby is way to comfortable (haha!) and I Bleed is a bit too much. I would lose those two songs and swap them for some of the b-sides. Yep, I went there!

Tut tut tut Billverybadman!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  07:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

quote:

They loved Surfer Rosa
and they loved Bossanova

Yeah that’s blasphemous for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  07:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think an important part of being in the Cult of Frank is sticking with a songwriter who, as good as his middle-to-later years are, had a pretty drastic decline after TOTY.

Wow, hard disagree there.

I'd also throw Paul McCartney in there. His latest albums are all pretty great. "New" is a favorite with some of his best songs, and even if one might not think best, it's just a really fun, youthful, energetic and interesting album and the guy did it in his 70s. And I think there's been several past that one too which I haven't even fully checked into yet.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 08/01/2024 07:52:08
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
950 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  10:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to say that his decline meant that he became a poor songwriter; rather that he went through a near-flawless/Godlike run from Come on Pilgrim to TOTY (a past more or less uncheckered), and then came back to earth as a very interesting but more human songwriter. On the one hand his songwriting became more introspective and raw (and at times compositionally complex) but with a more hit-or-miss warts-and-all approach (like post-Velvet Underground Lou Reed or post-70s Neil Young).
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  10:46:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They loved Surfer Rosa
and they loved Bossanova

Yeah that’s blasphemous for sure.

We are talking comfortable right? Nothing happens in the last few bars. Could lose a minute or so and we wouldn't notice

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1273 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  13:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comfortable? Well if you mean it in the sense of an enlightened state of mind. Honestly if Heaven exists I imagine I'll ascend to with those last 90 seconds ringing in my ears It should be even longer in my opinion, just like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E8sptpHZGs
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  16:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Comfortable? Well if you mean it in the sense of an enlightened state of mind. Honestly if Heaven exists I imagine I'll ascend to with those last 90 seconds ringing in my ears It should be even longer in my opinion, just like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E8sptpHZGs

Love it!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2024 :  19:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't mean to say that his decline meant that he became a poor songwriter; rather that he went through a near-flawless/Godlike run from Come on Pilgrim to TOTY (a past more or less uncheckered), and then came back to earth as a very interesting but more human songwriter. On the one hand his songwriting became more introspective and raw (and at times compositionally complex) but with a more hit-or-miss warts-and-all approach (like post-Velvet Underground Lou Reed or post-70s Neil Young).

OK, I understand but I don't really agree. I love Cult of Ray, which I consider basically flawless, if not as great as the previous two albums. And besides Six Sixty Six, I consider the first FB&tC album flawless and one of my favorites of all time. Pistolero is the first one to have songs I don't really love, I guess, but then Dog in the Sand for me is another flawless one. As is Devil's Workshop, Bluefinger, etc, etc.

But I am someone who loves a lot of Catholics stuff more than Pixies stuff, so I'm just not sure I can totally sign off on what you're saying, but I comprehend the sentiment.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1273 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2024 :  15:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So after planning on resisting until the album emerged I succumbed and started listening to Chicken the last couple of days. The reason was although I only heard it twice it was proper earworm and I had not forgotten the melody. I gotta say I think it's excellent, without doubt a top 10 2.0 song for me (maybe even top 5). I love the bass tone, sounds a bit overdriven, reminds of Silver and works really well. The most Doolittlesque song since the reunion. Sounds much better on YouTube than Spotify. The lyrics don't bother me at all. They're certainly not the best part of it but they don't drag it down for me.

I was going to be perfectly happy with Doggerel V2 sounding record but I don't think that's what were getting now. Feeling quite excited.

Edited by - Sprite on 08/02/2024 15:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2024 :  21:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
The most Doolittlesque song since the reunion.

I'm not hearing this at all. In what sense? It sounds like a mellow country Catholics song, if anything. I can't think of one element that reminds me at all of anything on Doolittle.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2024 :  01:46:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a couple of good Pixies 2.0 to me

Silver Bullet, Los Surfers Muertos, part of Dregs of the Wine, All the saints

And some Bossanova vibes, surf-tone by Joey

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1273 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2024 :  15:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
The most Doolittlesque song since the reunion.

I'm not hearing this at all. In what sense? It sounds like a mellow country Catholics song, if anything. I can't think of one element that reminds me at all of anything on Doolittle.

Well just to be clear, my claim for sounding most Doolittlesque is a pretty low bar. I hear Catholic elements as well sure. But I guess it's the bigger bass sound, the separation of the instruments, the more surfy/twangy tone on Joey's guitar, and Dave's durumming is a bit more manic in the second chorus. Plus the reverb has a bit more of an old school Pixies 1.0 vibe. The opening 5 seconds sounds quintessentially Pixies.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2024 :  22:52:02  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Best 5 seconds of Pixies 2.0?

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1273 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2024 :  04:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly a candidate!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
781 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2024 :  23:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the lovely debate
I was quite disappointed with You're So Impatient (Another Toe or Moon On level, but somehow worse because of the even emptier lyrics)
Vegas Suite was ok, I think I liked hearing it live during the Bossa/Trompe tour, but it's far from being a master piece. Uninteresting lyrics for sure.
Chicken is a much better song overall, but has Bossanova on prozac vibes. Joey is indulging in lines he has already done in the past. The drum sound is un-Pixies. Bass is fine but a bit in your face, like they're trying too hard to sound indie. The worst part is the lyrics again. "Sometimes I feel..." is so stereotyped (Marc Almond delivered this line canonically). "Decapitation" is just trying to sound clever without bringing new imagery, even within Charles' work (Head Carrier's cephalophores)
The best part of the song is sadly the instrumental outro. I really regret what his writing has turned into : lazy, generic, bland. The only word that comes to mind is 'old'
There is still hope though, but quality requires both inspiration AND work. It seems both are missing currently

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Edited by - sdon on 08/10/2024 01:11:08
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6105 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2024 :  23:43:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For the sake of argument

Isn't an un-Pixies drum sound better because it pushes the band to another direction?
For better or worse.

Because Joey being Joey and imitating his own sound on Bossanova will only lead to diminishing returns?

In this time in my life I'm more open to carbon copy Pixies or Pixies by numbers than a new sound.
But Trompe is no Come on Pilgrim. Pixies can be anything within the rock or even folk idiom. Maybe I'm not enjoying Another Toe, Moon On and Impatient because of that. Not because they are different, but because they are not different enough.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3062 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2024 :  14:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May this debate never end

Having said that, I just listened to Chicken again today and it's just a fantastic song all the way

For me, just enjoying it for it is, who cares how to label it, it's just good sounding music and lets you dream and your mind feel things and all that kind of stuff

Great one Charles!
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
34 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2024 :  13:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Lucas

quote:

I would put Kristin Hersh up there with FBF for contemporary artists putting out gold into their 50s.

It's not the fault of either that they defined a genre in their 20s and thus their contemporary work is seen as comfortable. That's my view anyway. There's going to be strong and weak points but they will always be worth giving serious consideration.

i think Kristin's recent output has been incredible. she's still trying new and weird stuff. she has a very idiosyncratic style but i don't think she's repeated herself much once you get past that. the last solo record was fantastic and Throwing Muses are working on another new one!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000