Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
872 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2024 :  22:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Consider me not blown away by Impatient. I listen to that song and I hear nothing remotely calling to mind anything I find interesting or particular about the Pixies, or even Frank's music throughout his career. There is a chance of course that it may grow on me. It just doesn't have any personality to it.

Listening a second time. It just doesn't have those angular and surprising melodies, timing, chord progressions and musical moments I associate with the Pixies (and a lot of Frank.) The melody is so flat, the chords all go so smoothly into each other. Where's that Pixies touch? Even Joey's guitar feels kind of rote and predictable here, and it sounds kind of off to me too. I try not to be so harsh but I just don't know what's going on here.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/03/2024 22:40:01
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6099 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2024 :  23:41:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, even Joey...just like on There's a Moon On. Not only the notes, but also the tone

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
590 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  00:14:28  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re-recording past bass player's parts isn't new for Pixies. They did it with Kim's Indie Cindy songs, and they're doing it with Paz's album 9 songs and Que Sera Sera.

As for why Que Sera Sera now? I'm guessing an easy B-side. Hey Emma we've got this fully produced and finalized recording of a cover that the majority of people haven't heard, let's get you in the studio for a few hours to re-record the very simple bassline and backing vocals and then we have enough for a 2 song vinyl single.

Now this single buys them some time to finish/re-record the rest of Paz's parts from last October's new album sessions. Maybe they'll do that in July (they have a month off from touring) and the new album will be out early next year.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
590 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  00:21:31  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know the press release said Emma would be touring with them for this year, I'm thinking that was more of a PR move to buy the angle that Paz has "exited" the band and we've found someone to fill her spot for the tour.

Yet all of the social media accounts say Pixies are: Black Francis, Joey Santiago, David Lovering, Emma Richardson

And Emma is already on new recordings as well as promotional photos.

I really think she's the new permanent member, they've just not come right out and said it because they want to keep Paz's exit ambiguous
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2447 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  00:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't take long to rerecord bass and vocal parts at all (if that is what they've decided to do). I imagine we'll get the album in one form or another before long. Even with a band of this level, there aren't many who can afford to write off a month's worth of recording.
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  01:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ripped Que Sera from the show.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pyBl6K5ajwj2pgwr7x7v_ZmyuuTwLN7V/view?usp=drivesdk

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
590 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  01:59:17  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting thing to think about: there's probably a nearly finished version of album 9 with Paz on it sitting on Dalgety's computer somewhere. That would be a really interesting thing to hear after a rerecorded version with Emma's parts comes out.

Edited by - yarbles on 06/04/2024 01:59:45
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  02:55:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’m pretty underwhelmed. Que would have been a neat release as a B side when it was released however long ago that was. Impatient… eh. It’s an okay tune I suppose. Kind of sounds like a modified version of that Blur song (woo hoo!), only not as rocking.

It’s kind of flat in the way Human Crime was, but not as strong (my opinion of course). Human Crime was a one off too, and didn’t make the album, which was much stronger than that single. Maybe the same thing happening this time?

Anyway, I think it sounds a little lifeless, and it could have benefitted from getting everyone in a room together, trying to get them psyched up, and rip through it live with some room sound. It doesn’t sound lively.

I guess I’ll go back to the old production and mixing well. At this point it’s well trodden territory but it continues to be a problem. The super dry smashed drum sound and the vocals too loud and up give it a weird vibe. I think it’s a Dalgety thing. The best Pixies feature wide open ringing drums with some nice room sound to them, or if they were less organic than that, at least a nice effect to open it up or gated w/ reverb or as on Bossanova. These drums sound dead. And Charles vocals need to be backed off in the mix. It sounds best when it seems like he’s yelling across the room over the band

Why the hell can’t we get a good rock record sound anymore? It’s not just the Pixies. I think most modern rock albums sound like shit and have for years. Some are better than other of course.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/04/2024 13:06:51
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  08:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with every word, Johnny. When they released the tease I knew we were doomed for more of Dalgety's dry kibble the minute I heard the snare.

Like so many of the recent tunes, I think this song's real personality will be obvious live but nowhere to be found on the recording.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
950 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  10:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm in agreement with both Troubles A Foot and johnnyribcage.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
872 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  14:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What johnny says about why can't we get rocking music anymore is something I talk about all the time. I compare it to why do all movies look like shit now (jesus did you see the Beetlejuice 2 trailer?!?), and the answer seems to be digital, but there HAVE been nice looking movies made in digital and nice sounding albums made in digital. But I think the crutch of digital makes people take shortcuts and take the easier route to things which has an overall negative effect. And there's also aesthetics changing for the worse, way too loud vocals, everything smashed and too loud, and people mindlessly going along with these popular trends, even when you are an alternative indie darling band like the Pixies who should be defying convention and doing whatever they want, not looking for the next mildly accessible single. The Dalgety curse.

I also agree with the question of why is the song so lifeless. I mean it wouldn't make it a better song, but just having Frank scream or something "YOU'RE SO IMPATIEEEEENT!!!" could make it at least sort of feel like a Pixies song. It's so indifferent sounding.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  15:05:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And then you get hype articles with headlines like “Check out Pixies’ two huge new singles: ‘You’re So Impatient’ and ‘Que Sera, Sera’” and write-ups like: “The raging ‘You’re So Impatient’ has been described as “an explosive two-minute, nine-second Zombie attack at the mall.” Come on. Something Against you is an explosive zombie attack at the mall. And it doesn’t even need 2 minutes to do it.

It’s not terrible or anything, it’s a serviceable tune that probably would have been a B side even 5 or 6 years ago, but it’s okay. “Huge,” “raging,” and “explosive” don’t exactly come to mind though.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  15:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the new rhcp sounds great. here's one of the stronger instrumentals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdzjFsHrnQ

rock music is unfashionable nowadays. a pity. there was a period in the 2000s when we had interpol, white stripes, the strokes, arctic monkeys all putting out unvarnished guitar music.

Edited by - tamefan on 06/04/2024 15:13:03
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  15:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe album number 9 will be the mellow Pixies album. I love Vegas Suite but it wouldn't seem that out of place on Honeycomb.

And this discussion reminded me that when TLM came out I thought that the Head On cover (while far superior to the original) sounded way too mainstream to be on a Pixies album.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  15:46:45  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both the new chili peppers albums are really well recorded and produced. The vinyl is great. A little neutral sounding at times but really good.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  17:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to be fair, doggerel is nicely mixed and mastered. arguably the best out of the 2.0. records. gotta give the lads the benefit of the doubt... granted, i haven't heard this new track (will wait for the album; no spoilers!) but i would be surprised if the final mastering on the LP is a significant step down from Doggerel (which imo improved on BTE, a record whose production we cheered at the time).

maybe these singles were mixed & mastered in isolation? yes, i am coping again. it's hard for me to imagine pixies repeating these mistakes yet again. don't they regret the ill fate of head carrier? so many great tunes let down and largely forgotten about due to the production. by the way, why hasn't that record been remastered and reissued? it has "almost classic" songs that deserve to be remastered whether doing so is profitable or not. oona, paris, and baal's back, especially.

Edited by - tamefan on 06/04/2024 18:16:24
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  22:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I've seen, they've only ever expressed satisfaction with the way Head Carrier sounds -- which is astounding, but explains why they don't feel the need to make any changes
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6099 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2024 :  03:05:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They love Tom as an organized, as a conductor, as a musical manager
FBF isn't a driving force anymore
It's all good, he has made his mark and continues to do so
Just not on that level with that youthful energy of the Catholics days

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1269 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2024 :  03:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree the new tune is the servicable catergory. But I think I like it better than Graveyard Hill and Vault of Heaven. And even stevens with There is a Moon On. And I consider most the majority of the songs on BTE and Doggerel to be much better than those 3. So I will stay optimistic for the album.

And if You're so Impatient is a Woman of War type one off then that would also be fine. I just shelled out £16 for the 7".

I am less worried about Dalgety production that lack of Paz. She was bringing new ideas to the studio, melding well with with FBF based from the BTE podcasts, did great counterpoint vocals on many songs (Under the Marigold, Lord has come back today) and some great bass playing (Hey Debussy) . Also based on a sample of 2 songs Emma's voice is not contrasting as well as Paz (or Kim Deals). But they may get sorted out as they write new songs together. Obviously she sang well in Band of Skulls.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6099 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2024 :  23:24:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just heard it again. I really like Emma's vocals in the second verse.
It's a simple, fun and a bit of a boring song. It should have been even faster, because it doesn't do much.

What is Joey doing in this song, if I may ask? His tone isn't interesting, his lines in the chorus are so plain.
The solo sounds improvised, which should be a good thing, but isn't exactly off the grid either. Sounds sloppy.

Joey's work on Que Sera Sera however is beautiful.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2024 :  08:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

granted, i haven't heard this new track (will wait for the album; no spoilers!)

Given they haven't announced anything about the album this may be a standalone single, like Human Crime.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
950 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2024 :  09:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

quote:

Given they haven't announced anything about the album this may be a standalone single, like Human Crime.

I agree. It'll probably be like the Hear Me Out/Mambo Sun double A-side.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2447 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2024 :  11:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

quote:

I agree. It'll probably be like the Hear Me Out/Mambo Sun double A-side.

Those were leftovers from the BTE sessions though. It'll be interesting to see what's happened to the Guilford Sound material. They'll want to recoup their costs there somehow!
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
242 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2024 :  06:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like something is being recorded in Nashville:
https://www.facebook.com/frankblackfrancis/

Or maybe this should be posted under the Frank Black thread? Nashville... acoustic guitar....just FB appearing in the picture. Maybe the TOTY anniversary tour will be accompanied by a new FB album?

Edited by - oddball on 06/08/2024 09:03:21
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6099 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2024 :  09:34:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Or maybe this should be posted under the Frank Black thread? Nashville... acoustic guitar....just FB appearing in the picture. Maybe the TOTY anniversary tour will be accompanied by a new FB album?

But it says "with Pixies" as a tag on FB.
A recording of Dig for Fire is used on Instagram with this photo
A new solo FB would be awesome though

Edited by - billgoodman on 06/08/2024 09:40:07
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2024 :  17:47:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by oddball

But it says "with Pixies" as a tag on FB.
A recording of Dig for Fire is used on Instagram with this photo
A new solo FB would be awesome though

I would sacrifice the ol’ proverbial left nut for a new solo FBF album right about now. Unfortunately I think the family jewels are more than safe and sound at this time.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2024 :  03:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did we post the “You’re So Impatient” lyric video yet?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fH_PZZy3lJM
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2024 :  06:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/gKR95gzVAgk?si=qoLHkhHQpivPvfnE&t=121

As always, the song itself is exponentially better than the strangled Dalgety recording. Truly cannot wait for this era to be over
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
880 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2024 :  00:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dig up some info, expect a new album in early Fall.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
242 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2024 :  05:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

That's excellent news, and would explain the social media clips and entries in the BMI. Let's hope we hear more news about this soon.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6099 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2024 :  11:26:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Please DM the info to me!

Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
242 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2024 :  07:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to this interview with David Lovering posted yesterday, the new album, yet to be announced, will be coming out on Halloween this year:
https://www.westword.com/music/the-pixies-denver-concert-with-modest-mouse-21160701
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
872 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2024 :  12:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a good interview. I'm always amazed by the fact that the Pixies do not use setlists. I only say this as a musician who has played tons of shows in the past...I could not do it that way. Because on stage my mind would go blank and it's just too confusing and overwhelming trying to think of what song to do next. It's a total impossibility for me.

I did do shows where I printed out a list of 100 of my songs, and either handed them out to the crowd or told people to yell out a number. It was a mixed success but it was a lot of fun for me. But without a paper with song titles written down, I would just forget everything.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
880 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2024 :  19:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You’re So Impatient is on the album.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
242 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2024 :  20:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes the logic of going with a double A-side with no mention of an upcoming album containing one of the two tracks all the more perplexing. Is Halloween too far out in advance of the release for the band not to have made any formal announcement about it, beyond what was mentioned in David's interview? Any ideas on when we can expect an album title/more details?
-oddball
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000