Page: of 9

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  21:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

As echoed above, I think I would be really interested in it if I had already heard the album. But I don't really want to have it deconstructed for me before I've even heard it. Especially not with a BF project, where half the fun is "WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?"

Same opinion.
That said, if the podcast is well produced, maybe they will release the singles before each episode ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Schitzophonic
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  01:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s a great idea about releasing the songs. First one will probably be about On Graveyard Hill if they’re all song-focused.

I wonder why they dropped the Past Is Prologue name. I thought it was pretty cool and had a definite Pixies vibe. “It’s A Pixies Podcast!” is a bit generic for my liking. Can’t wait to listen, though.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  02:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nooooooooo! Don't release the songs one at a time, it didn't do IC any favours at all when it finally came out. Let us enjoy a proper album in it's entirety :)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  02:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Come On Podcast.”

“A Pixies Podcast about the Pixies” the podcast
Starring the Pixies
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  05:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A better idea would be to showcase the origins of each song but never play the full version on the podcast. Just the buildup and leave us excited for the final version on the full album release.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  08:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it's better off not knowing too much.

But I think Frank has been bent on demythologizing the pixies for a long time. This helps that even more.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  07:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New mini clip posted today. I think it's Catfish Kate with singing this time. Sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJ-ZiY5bZU
Go to Top of Page

Schitzophonic
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  08:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds a little Trompe-esque. Great. I was starting to think that a lot of the live versions of new songs sounded quite slow/acoustic. Glad they have some faster, poppier songs interspersed. Really looking forward to the podcast.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  09:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of Ring the Bell
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  10:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that it's quite poppy? I like Ring the Bell. Catfish Kate is gonna be good too - proves Frank can still wallop you with a big fist of pop. It's like the Holiday Song melded with Custom All The Way (the two of them would be in my top 20) and loaded with a big hook.

So, that's hopefully going to be a lovely pop song. Just need a few rockier or experimental tracks to balance things. An All Over the World, an Announcement, a Miriam and Florian, a So. Bay.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  11:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

In that it's quite poppy? I like Ring the Bell. Catfish Kate is gonna be good too - proves Frank can still wallop you with a big fist of pop. It's like the Holiday Song melded with Custom All The Way (the two of them would be in my top 20) and loaded with a big hook.

So, that's hopefully going to be a lovely pop song. Just need a few rockier or experimental tracks to balance things. An All Over the World, an Announcement, a Miriam and Florian, a So. Bay.

You have officially been designated the biggest dreamer on the forum.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  11:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like Pixies 2.0.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  11:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm torn on this one - can completely understand people's muted reaction as it does sound like it's gonna be another 'standard' verse/chorus/verse song that's slightly Pixified by Joey's guitar and Paz's vocals. But I also reckon it's a bloody catchy song.

I had a listen to Bluefinger during a flight at the weekend. That was bare bones in terms of musicians and production and it still sounds a lot fresher than so much of 2.0. It was obvious in the lyrics he was having fun too. I might be criticised for saying this, but I believe his songwriting is very constricted with Pixies. Everything needs to be Pixified. Kinda yearn for him to sneak on a Joey-less piano song or something to spice things up.

Of course, I'd be content if he continued with Pixies and also started putting out solo albums again. Definitely time for another obscure soundtrack or concept album.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  15:09:17  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with all that. I think there's some weird issues with what the hell Pixies is, what Frank's songwriting fits into, etc. I find myself confused by the new Pixies stuff and I find myself not even sure what I want it to be. Too much like old Pixies I wonder if Frank is forcing it. Too much like Frank solo I wonder why is this a Pixies album and does this become a Pixies song just because the Pixies are playing it, or is a Pixies song something more specific than that? A sort of vibe.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  02:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I might be criticised for saying this, but I believe his songwriting is very constricted with Pixies. Everything needs to be Pixified. Kinda yearn for him to sneak on a Joey-less piano song or something to spice things up.

BF always said they were just making music and didn't have an agenda, but I think they just casually do what the public wants and ticked all the boxes to make a good Pixies record.
There's even a surf song with with a spanish title on the next record.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  14:35:49  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I might be criticised for saying this, but I believe his songwriting is very constricted with Pixies. Everything needs to be Pixified. Kinda yearn for him to sneak on a Joey-less piano song or something to spice things up.

I agree. I don't think it's really a bad thing, I mean it's forcing him down corridors he wouldn't have otherwise explored, and I greatly enjoy all the new Pixies material. But...

If you're a fan of a certain ilk, like many of us diehards here, there is something that seems lost, and it feels like many doors are closed. He's still putting out great material. But it's constricted, like you said. On the other hand, pining for the days of the Catholics is like fans pining for the days of the Pixies in 1999. So it's kind of hypocritical on my part to yearn for the old days when I'm guilty of the same yearning that eventually led to the relative obscurity that FB wound up in. by the time of SMYT. There's only tomorrow.

Of course, the Pixies aren't "allowed" to sound like something other than "Pixies." It's all good, but it feels like the playbook he's allowed to call from is pretty short compared to 10, 15 years ago.

To be fair, why would anyone blame him? People like us that wax poetic about Cult of Ray or Fastman Raiderman are few and far between. On the other hand, there is a ocean of fans awaiting under the Pixies moniker. The man's gotta live, and he deserves success.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  23:09:33  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, that first episode was a lot of fun to listen to and the snippets of new tracks sound great. Some melodic lines coming through that weren't apparent (to me) from the live recordings. Even the demo "Caught in a Dream" that didn't make the cut but that will come on the vinyl sounded intriguing.

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  00:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I was quite apprehensive how these would go but it was very enjoyable indeed. Dave's list of hobbies part was very funny. I learned more about him in that 5 mins than a hundred other interviews.

Really enjoyed the snippet of Catfish Kate, getting a real (Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar vibe. The bass tone on the part after the chorus is sweet.

But the best bit was the end snippet of In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain, the chords on the fade out, literal chills.

Excitement level definitely gonna up a notch which is good as I was struggling with On Graveyard Hill a bit.

Edited by - Sprite on 06/27/2019 13:53:44
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  01:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Caught in a Dream" demo sounds really cool!
modern Bossanova vibe, with a pinch of Cult of Ray

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Edited by - sdon on 06/27/2019 03:02:57
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  04:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey sdon, was always curious. Is 'Aristophanes (going sounds') from a FB song lyric?
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  05:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great first podcast. Super excited for the album upon hearing the snippets.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  05:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised that this is Charles Thompson’s first time recording his music in a church, if that’s in fact true.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  07:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven’t listened yet but I’m a bit confused.
Is this a video pocast or an audio podcast ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  08:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an audio podcast.

The snippets sound like good, solid FBF solo stuff to me. (Yes, I get sick of hearing me say that too in case you were wondering).

Kingston New York and Woodstock are beautiful areas to visit if you are ever in that part of the world.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  08:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

This is an audio podcast.

Ok. I’ve been living in a dream for 5 months. I thought it was a real-TV thing with cameras in the recording studio.
Meh.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  09:09:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too was pretty skeptical, but that was an enjoyable listen. Didn’t give too much away, but did a really nice job of capturing the vibe and the interaction of the band and Tom. And a nice preview of Mark of Cain capped things off nicely. That song is something else I was skeptical of based on the live takes I’d heard. It sounded... I don’t know, cumbersome or something. But it cleaned up real nice in the studio. Sounds like a grower and a winner.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  09:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Hey sdon, was always curious. Is 'Aristophanes (going sounds') from a FB song lyric?

I don't remember exactly where it comes from, but it was probably a post by Charles on twitter or facebook, back in the days when he was socially active

--
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  09:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark of Cain sounds awesome indeed

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  11:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:

I don't remember exactly where it comes from, but it was probably a post by Charles on twitter or facebook, back in the days when he was socially active

--

Ah Cool, I presumed it was a lyric I misheard.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  11:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
But the best bit was end snippet of In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain, the chords on the fade out, literal chills.

This is Motorway to Roswell piano ending right ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  12:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I was not into this whole idea, but hearing FBF say "hold on, I have a tart in the oven" has really brightened my day
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  12:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also I cannot fucking wait to hear Saint Nazaire or whatever it is
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  21:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The studio stuff is great, so good to hear them working them working and hanging out. The host/narrator is not so good but gets as much running time as the band.

Think they'll plug the Super Deluxe Limited Collectors Edition TM every week?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  23:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
But the best bit was end snippet of In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain, the chords on the fade out, literal chills.

This is Motorway to Roswell piano ending right ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yes that's it EXACTLY! Almost like an oak aged Roswell.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  23:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very excited by Side A of the Demos LP, featuring :

Please Don't Go (hope they keep it lo-fi)
Chapel Hill (in the podcast, at 16:55 you can hear an extract (a bit of Sonic Youth meets Dinosaur Jr, could have been on Bluefinger)
Caught In A Dream (26:38, sounds great, reminds me of The Vaselines)

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000