-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Past is Prologue - A Pixies Podcast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
natenate101 Posted - 01/23/2019 : 03:55:03
The band just announced a podcast about the making of the new album. 12 part series, starts in Jun and runs until album release in September. A trailer shows snippets of new music and the band in studio. What a treat!
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/pixies-announce-new-album-podcast-share-trailer-video/
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
billgoodman Posted - 05/15/2020 : 10:33:29
The song seems to be called Hear me Out now and was listed on Amazon briefly

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
billgoodman Posted - 04/19/2020 : 12:44:02
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

I assumed the 9 demos on the deluxe edition would be the songs that were recorded and left off the album, but I think the latest episode implies they aren't. It mentions there were 19 songs recorded in total, 3 of which being covers. We know the covers aren't on the demo album, so that would only leave 4 recorded songs. I guess it could be a combination. Has anyone kept track of the songs that have been mentioned in the podcast as being left off the final album?

Yes. Here are the 19 tracks:

Dreamland Recording Studios Session - December 2018
- 'Bird of Prey' [Previously known as 'I Have Your Mark', 'Birdie' and possibly 'Birdsy One']
- 'Catfish Kate'
- 'Caught In a Dream'
- 'Chapel Hill'
- 'Daniel Boone'
- 'Death Horizon' [Previously known as 'Extra Eye']
- 'Grow Fins' [Captain Beefheart cover]
- 'In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain'
- 'Long Rider' [Previously known as 'Bogman']
- 'Los Macheteros'
- 'Los Surfers Muertos' [Previously known as 'Song 8' & 'Killer Dana']
- 'Mambo Sun' [T.Rex cover]
- 'On Graveyard Hill' [Previously known as 'Whaleback Hill']
- 'Ready For Love'
- 'Silver Bullet' [Previously known as 'I Like To Drive']
- 'St. Nazaire' [Previously known as 'Knock Boots']
- 'Sweet Relief' [Also known as 'Mysterions' & 'Hear Me Out']
- 'The Whole of the Law' [The Only Ones cover]
- 'This Is My Fate'

Great list. I have been obsessing about Sweet Relief lately. The snippets in episode 6 to 9 are amazing. This sounds like it should be released.

Los Macheteros is with the popy two guitar riff right?

tamefan Posted - 02/25/2020 : 12:18:40
Confession. I've never listened to this podcast! Thought it was a dumb idea at the time it was announced and never bothered to check it out. Am currently listening to Episode 1 right now and what a pleasure it is. With some whiskey. Being familiar with all of the tracks and loving them as I do is heightening my enjoyment of the sessions. The band truly has treated us with this album cycle. Also, everyone in the band sounds so happy

Edit: Okay, I've been listening like all day and now I'm on Episode 8. Paz has twice detailed the research she's done for conceptualizing two songs on the album (Los Surfers and Graveyard Hill). And it seems the songs start with a very specific subject -- Surfers is about the Killer Dana wave/Paz's late friend and Graveyard is about the atropa belladona plant/Hecate (the goddess of witchcraft). She clearly has a great collaborative relationship with Charles as they would play with ideas in the evenings and record in the mornings. They seem to have a light-hearted and teasing/playing rapport. She seemed really excited to tell Charles about the ideas behind Los Surfers, it was adorable. And he sounded genuinely pleased. So glad she's part of the band. I gained a huge appreciation for her (and for Dalgety) from the podcast series. Hopefully her positive influence will encourage the band to continue recording together -- and hey, maybe Paz could take an even larger writing role on the next record?
peter radiator Posted - 10/26/2019 : 09:17:37
Producing an album *effectively* for a group you are not already an actual member of is a Black Art.

It is akin to the ever-elusive "bedside manner" of a beloved and trusted physician.

Tom Dalgety is NOT too heavy-handed or intrusive in his efforts on HC and BTE.

How do I know that? Because the band LIKES what he brings to the table, and how he sets it.

They like it so much, that they CHOSE to work with him again, and even gave him MORE latitude (as far as his input and imprint goes) on their second collaboration.

That's what making a record with a dynamic, acclaimed outside producer is.

It's a creative partnership between the artists and the producer.

They agree up front on ground rules, and then work TOGETHER to create a record that is greater than the sum of their parts.

The artists TRUST the direction and suggestions of the producer. They usually have some sort of final say or veto power over what is done, but - generally speaking - they go into the process with the intent of hearing the producer out and giving that person's feedback, suggestions and viewpoints (including new musical parts to songs, changes in arrangements or lyrics, the addition of instruments or sounds outside of the group's normal comfort zone, etc...) at LEAST as much weight as that of the bandmembers themselves.

The producer is expected to be the one person who can straddle the delicate line between being objective and subjective as far as the work that is being done - and to look out for the artists' best interests in making the best record they can, without getting lost in the ego weeds of doing so (as usually happens to artists once they become so laser-focused on the costly and time-sensitive task at hand).

What many people are hearing in the podcast is actually so commonplace a relationship between producer and artists that it is essentially routine at this point in time.

This may be blowing the minds of people who never really gave that much thought to just how records are actually made, but it's true.

Some producers are not particularly musically inclined themselves and/or very "hands off" in the recording process, but, as someone said in the thread above, that makes them much more of a glorified recording engineer than an actual "producer."

In other words, it's the difference between a movie director and the guy on set who loads the film into the camera and makes sure the lens cap is off before the director yells "Action!".

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
coastline Posted - 10/25/2019 : 19:00:51
After falling in love with BTE and listening to it nonstop for the last month, I finally listened to the podcast. Reading through this thread, I get the sense my perspective is a bit different than others'. To me, the podcast is a fantastic documentary about a great album. I'm so glad it happened -- it offers a ton of perspective and helps me understand and enjoy the songs even more than I already did.

Some observations:

Tom Dalgety did a fantastic job managing the recording of this album. I liken him to a classical conductor. In classical music, the conductor is playing a huge, complex instrument: the orchestra itself. The Pixies essentially entrusted Tom to play them, coax the art out of them, and then fine-tune it after the fact. And he did such a fantastic job. I especially like how he talked FB into writing that great bridge in "Daniel Boone."

"Daniel Boone" is a really special song. It was already my favorite thing FB has done in years, but it was so cool to listen how it came together, and how much the whole band reveres it. Especially Joey.

Paz is every bit as much Pixie as Kim Deal was. Maybe more. Her creative input is huge, as is her contribution to the band's dynamic.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
billgoodman Posted - 09/12/2019 : 11:51:02
I read a couple of interviews that the podcast was a means of getting funds for the recording of BTE
Also Paz produced one or two episodes but they were rejected! Frank would have preferred the left field approach

Who do you think paid for it? Google? Record company? Booking agents?

natenate101 Posted - 09/11/2019 : 19:11:07
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

I assumed the 9 demos on the deluxe edition would be the songs that were recorded and left off the album, but I think the latest episode implies they aren't. It mentions there were 19 songs recorded in total, 3 of which being covers. We know the covers aren't on the demo album, so that would only leave 4 recorded songs. I guess it could be a combination. Has anyone kept track of the songs that have been mentioned in the podcast as being left off the final album?

- 'Bird of Prey' [Previously known as 'I Have Your Mark', 'Birdie' and possibly 'Birdsy One']
- 'Catfish Kate'
- 'Caught In a Dream'
- 'Chapel Hill'
- 'Daniel Boone'
- 'Los Macheteros'
- 'Ready For Love'
- 'This Is My Fate'

Awesome work Jake! Thanks for this and the song tracking in the BTE thread as well.
jake3 Posted - 09/11/2019 : 13:04:57
quote:

- 'Catfish Kate'
- 'Caught In a Dream'
- 'Chapel Hill'
- 'Daniel Boone'
- 'Los Macheteros'
- 'Ready For Love'
- 'This Is My Fate'
stuczuba Posted - 09/06/2019 : 02:48:55
So Dalgety funded the podcast in response to all the compression hate he was getting here? ;)

I don't think he's overstepped the mark in terms of suggestions etc. He's proactive but still in the producer space. It's a testament to their chops that they can roll with any suggestions that are thrown at them.

Enjoyed hearing them in the raw, thoroughly expecting all those rough edges to be dealt with in the mix/master.
Bedbug Posted - 09/06/2019 : 01:38:26
Charles’ sandwich shop. Great episode on Daniel Boone
Bedbug Posted - 09/01/2019 : 12:46:28
If Frank doesn’t care as much he probably welcomes someone(s) who cares more, like Tom and Paz.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/01/2019 : 11:38:57
The one time I recorded an album with a guy who acted as producer/engineer (it was a tiny tiny studio and just one guy there), some days I felt like he was a little TOO hands off, like it may have been nice if he had ideas for the songs or out of the box thinking, because to me that would give the impression he was thinking about them and enjoying them. I remember thinking he seemed a bit indifferent to my songs and the few times he had some spark of an idea, even if I disagreed with it, I really appreciated that he felt inspired by my song and wanted to collaborate.

HOWEVER...If he did that TOO MUCH or was too pushy about it or wanting to alter the song structure too much, I would feel kind of outnumbered and frustrated at straying too far from the songs as I wrote them. I'd be open to the idea of say, putting a little intro on the song. But if a producer said "cut the 3rd verse, you don't need it" (as a bass player said to me once), I'd feel very annoyed and like the song was under attack.

So it's a balance. From the Pixies podcast in my humble opinion, the producer is going a bit farther than I would expect, but most of his suggestions feel pretty reasonable to me, if maybe a bit unremarkable (they all are kind of generic ideas, I'm actually surprised there isn't more crazy unpredictable ideas.). My main surprise is I had no idea Frank needed any direction for his singing and I figured he knew what he wanted to do already when stepping up to the mic.
billgoodman Posted - 09/01/2019 : 09:28:38
Me too

sdon Posted - 09/01/2019 : 09:04:47
I'd like Albini to work on another Pixies album

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
billgoodman Posted - 09/01/2019 : 04:34:33
Steve Albini claims he 's just a engineer but he put his stamp on Surfer Rosa
I mean editing I'm Amazed (and making fun of the band later on that he could do that)
Putting studio charter on the final mix without the bands knowledge
Mixing Kim's backing vocal in favor of Frank's lead vocal

It is just a matter of semantics, but you can easily argue that he produced that record

The Maharal Posted - 09/01/2019 : 04:04:11
I'd be very happy with EDF just there in the studio helping out on keys, song ideas, etc., to provide a bit more variety. I've listened to only one of the podcasts thus far (will listen to the rest at some stage) so can't comment too much on TD's input.

I just want Charles to be Charles again and its usually EDF he works best with.
two reelers Posted - 08/31/2019 : 17:47:03
SA is at one end of the spectrum. He is not a producer, but an excellent recording engineer. The style of Cone on pilgrim and Surfer Rosa is the most "true" Pixies style and sound.
GN goes one step further. He for sure has a vision of a sound for a specific album (but not a specific band sound.). But he has no intent to interfere with the creative output (=songs) of the band. These albums have his sound, but are still "true" Pixies songs.
In best (worst) Jon Tiven style, TD imposes his likings on the songs themselves and changes them. This waters down the originality, spontaneity and urgency of the songs. I really don't like the results. If a producer wants to make music, he/she should start his/her own band, and not disrespect the artists they are producing by adding what the producer likes.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Bedbug Posted - 08/31/2019 : 14:33:09
I was listening to TLM in the car today, and , as a civilian, it's just impossible for me to imagine where the producer's influences would be. Yes, I can tell the difference between a Steve A record and Gil N record, but the TLM album just sounds like our man and his crew doing what they do. I can't imagine Norton saying, "how about on this take you change one of the chorus lines to THIS AIN'T NO FUCKIN AROUND." Or, "hey Eric, how about some nice piano on the outro." But to those of you who know more, is that that sort of stuff that would have happened?
billgoodman Posted - 08/31/2019 : 07:00:47
I believe a lot of producers are also very hands on
Especially in this day and age

Ziggy Posted - 08/31/2019 : 05:32:19
I've particularly enjoyed hearing Tom's contributions, and how well the band have responded to them. The extra vocals for 'Graveyard Hill' in the most recent episode was another interesting element.
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/31/2019 : 03:55:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I just want Eric Drew Feldman back.

I would've said that before, but I think the production on BTE sounds better than NSE (the last time this was tried) thus far.

I've actually liked many of Tom's suggestions. I think his instrumental for Ms. Mark of Cain is great, I think he's done a goodjob of trying to get Charles/Joey to do more eccentric takes on tracks, etc. The snippets we've heard from the demos and final version Bird of Prey sound night and day, and a lot of that positive change sounds like its from Tom.
Bedbug Posted - 08/31/2019 : 03:31:53
EDF producing O Little Cloud is about as good a wish as I could imagine for 2.0.

I know practically zero about music production, so I'll just take it from you guys that this Tom fellow is a little more hands on than we should expect. I liked just about everything I heard from him on the podcasts. Album is out in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to it.
The Maharal Posted - 08/31/2019 : 00:04:40
I just want Eric Drew Feldman back.
Stevio10 Posted - 08/30/2019 : 23:37:21
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

I'm rather surprised by how much impact Dalgety has, as a producer and not only a sound engineer. Or that's what the Podcast seems to emphasize (maybe because of who financed it)

He is shown as the one :
- "selecting" among the demos
- scheduling the sessions
- making the daily agenda move forward, working fast to maintain a sense of emergency
- going back to a song for new takes or additions
- influencing song structure
- advising on lyrics
- adding arrangements
- proposing harmonized vocals
- creating 'signature' intros with unusual instruments, mere objects, audio effects...
- coaching Joey !
- choosing the sequencing of tracks...

At least, it seems BF and Paz are aligned on some of the Pixies "ethics" or "aesthetics", lyrically of course, but also their rejection of samples, not because they are samples but because they break the spirit of recording "here and now"

I imagine Dalgety doing the mixing alone (or with editing assistants), with very little input from the band, if any

I guess Norton had the same approach, but was it to such extent?
Maybe Albini too, calling the Pixies kittens, and imparting even more of his aesthetics

--

I'm quite surprised with this too. Seems with Head Carrier they had the songs written before and had pre production time but with the new album it seems to be mostly written or evolved in the studio.

Kinda goes against what Joey said a while back when discussing what direction they thought the next album would go when he said they would 'take the pop out of it'.

Tom appears to have a strong vision for the band and of course he has his own profile and goals.

While it's clear the band really like Tom maybe for the next next album we'll see the likes of O Little Cloud and other rejects back with Gil?
sdon Posted - 08/29/2019 : 20:46:25
Chapel Hill and Caught in a Dream
So that leaves two others from the sessions

And probably 5 that are earlier demos

--
Jamie Posted - 08/29/2019 : 20:36:19
billgoodman Posted - 08/29/2019 : 19:44:49
Even Pixies can get lost sometimes
Many pop producers nowadays take songwriter credits on all the spngs
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/29/2019 : 19:23:28
As someone who has produced bands etc, as I imagine many here have, even I am pretty surprised at how much Dalgety shapes the songs. I guess in my eyes the songwriter shapes the song and the producer makes it sound good, or organized, but coming up with structural stuff is really surprising to me, and telling the band members how to play and how to sing even surprises me a bit...you just wouldn't think they'd need to be told. I've done that for my friends recording at my place when they seem particularly lost or confused, but in general I don't suggest things like that because they know how they want their songs to be, as do I when I am working with a producer for my own songs.
billgoodman Posted - 08/29/2019 : 17:23:33
Albini was pretty vocal about his influence on their songs
I'm Amazed lost a part because of it

picpic Posted - 08/29/2019 : 16:21:49
Not sure about Albini. The band had already written most of Surfer Rosa and sounded like Surfer Rosa on stage when they recorded the album.
On Doolittle I read somewhere Charles presented demos to Norton and there was a real pre production work done on the songs

___
"Service Unavailable"
billgoodman Posted - 08/29/2019 : 08:22:05
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

I'm rather surprised by how much impact Dalgety has, as a producer and not only a sound engineer. Or that's what the Podcast seems to emphasize (maybe because of who financed it)

He is shown as the one :
- making the daily agenda move forward, working fast to maintain a sense of emergency
- advising on lyrics
- adding arrangements
- creating 'signature' intros with unusual instruments, mere objects, audio effects...
- coaching Joey !

At least, it seems BF and Paz are aligned on some of the Pixies "ethics" or "aesthetics", lyrically of course, but also their rejection of samples, not because they are samples but because they break the spirit of recording "here and now"

I imagine Dalgety doing the mixing alone (or with editing assistants), with very little input from the band, if any

Maybe Albini too, calling the Pixies kittens, and imparting even more of his aesthetics

--

He is running the show! I guess it's what a producer needs to do, but you are right

pixie punk Posted - 08/29/2019 : 06:20:27
Feeling like there's a catfish swimming in my brain.Loving it more after listening to Paz and Charles dual vocals on Episode 10.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
sdon Posted - 08/29/2019 : 04:03:01

He is shown as the one :
- advising on lyrics
- adding arrangements
- coaching Joey !

--
billgoodman Posted - 08/29/2019 : 00:12:36
Yes! Good call, I also still think she's sounding a bit like Kim Deal
An Indie-vibe

sdon Posted - 08/28/2019 : 23:21:44
Paz is singing like Kim Gordon in the latest episode

--