Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  00:36:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No! No! No! I was just messing about. Christmass can't go now. It's one of my faves. I emergency change my vote to Petit Fours.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  02:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seriously prefer Snake Oil over Petit Fours?

Listen to Black Suit and get back to me
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  03:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick escape from the sherry to post ....Snake Oil
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  03:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another tie! What drama!

Snake Oil - 2

Petit Fours - 2
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  04:33:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TBH it's a long time since I listened to Snake Oil. You have a point about Black Suit though, one of the best tracks on PF
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  06:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ll cast a tactical vote against Snake Oil. We can’t lose Grand Duchy this early!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  07:36:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’ll go in on Snake Oil

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  12:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Although not directed at me, I read this and my answer was yes. So even if it's too late to matter, I'll vote off Petit Fours.

It's not a shock to see Snake Oil voted early in the game though. I wouldn't have ever expected a digitally released compilation of cover versions to go far in a game like this.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  15:23:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think there will be true clarity in this vote off thing until we eliminate all the outliers. I'm not voting off Snake Oil this early.

A to Z of the Catholics is on Spotify, just to fuck things up

https://open.spotify.com/album/3MVQuUeA83a9edH1sHf8N5
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  05:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

quote:

Although not directed at me, I read this and my answer was yes. So even if it's too late to matter, I'll vote off Petit Fours.

It's not a shock to see Snake Oil voted early in the game though. I wouldn't have ever expected a digitally released compilation of cover versions to go far in a game like this.

I feel your pain pixiestu. Survivor is such a brutal game.

Pot I can't tell who you're voting for / against. Can you talk to me like I'm a child?

I believe this is the score at the moment:

Snake Oil - 4

Petit Fours - 3

If we end in a tie we can vote them both off, just like in real life.

Edited by - Bedbug on 12/28/2018 05:22:08
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  05:43:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Couldn't be any clearer really. I said Petit Fours.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  06:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Couldn't be any clearer really. I said Petit Fours.

Got it.

Tie game

Unless some other forum member swoops in at the last minute to vote, we will have to say goodbye to two very fine works.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  09:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...Snake Oil is basically a cover album.

And go figure, I just never really liked Black Suit. I do like most of Petit Fours. Ft. Wayne is awesome. Long Song, Come on Over. Yep, Black Suit is the only song on that I do not listen to.

So, I vote for Snake Oil.

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  09:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do Nothing in particular is a horror show, it deserves to go for that alone.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  08:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Between Snake Oil and Petit Fours will have to vote off Snake Oil.

Not an easy choice, love Some Things (I Can't Get Used To) - that is one hell of a cover, not that I've been able to track down the original. Then there's Changing of the Guards of course.

But Petit Fours has some outstanding bass lines on top of some wonderful tracks. For me only Volcano is the weak track but I can live with that. The Long Song is probably my favourite along with Fort Wayne.

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  08:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think I'll have to vote for Snake Oil even though I enjoy a good chunk of it. Only came to this compilation recently enough (two or three years ago) and it's one of the few BF albums I have on my mp3 player so it gets regular enough rotation but Petits Four is probably a slightly better album.

I don't mind Do Nothing but then again I heard Frank's version before the original. Somethings (I Can't Get Used To) is absolutely glorious and reminds me I need to listen to Angst more than I do. Much like my dad, I've never been convinced by Bruce Springsteen* but Going Down by Frank is a fine rocker and one of my most played songs in the last few years. Down in the Hole and Snake Oil are also good fun.

(*That said, I can foresee myself in later years exploring something other than Born to Run and appreciating it)
Petits Four. Bought it when it came out, enjoyed it a lot and then played it maybe once every two years since. Quite fond of Come On Over to my House and its simple Iggyesque sleaze, Fort Wayne is decent, Ermesinde is a cracker and if we were to have another 'most underrated BF song' thread I would probably nominate it. Wonderful vocals and lyrics. I remember my mate saying upon PF's release that the Violet songs were better than Frank's and whilst I did not agree with this I was surprised at how competent her songs were. Break the Angels and Lovesick are quite enjoyable. Long Song gets a bit tedious though and Seeing Stars is shite. Black Suit was one of my favourite songs for a long time but its lost a bit of edge for me these days, probably because his screaming could/should have been better.

So yes I will vote out Snake Oil.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  10:08:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Snake Oil has already been voted out as of yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  11:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Yes, technically true, I just wanted to give everyone an extra day because emotions were probably the highest they've been since we started playing.

It was great to read everyone's thoughts on these albums. The survivor game stimulates thinking and writing on our man's music that we might not otherwise express.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  11:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well after a somewhat volatile week, Petit Fours has made it to round five while Snake Oil has been exposed as bogus.

What will be the first album voted off in the year of Blade Runner?

Happy Voting!

Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Cult of Ray
Oddballs
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
One More Road for the Hit
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Petit Fours
Golem
NSE
Abbabubba
Indie Cindy
Head Carrier
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  11:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CONSPIRACY ALERT:

I just realized upon looking at my last post that somehow Honeycomb had disappeared from the original list on page one but of course had not been voted off.

Not sure what to make of that and apologies to one and all who were affected subconsciously by that anomaly. It's back in the list below. Again, sorry.

Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Cult of Ray
Oddballs
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
One More Road for the Hit
Honeycomb
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Petit Fours
Golem
NSE
Abbabubba
Indie Cindy
Head Carrier
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  11:44:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Yes, technically true, I just wanted to give everyone an extra day because emotions were probably the highest they've been since we started playing.

It was great to read everyone's thoughts on these albums. The survivor game stimulates thinking and writing on our man's music that we might not otherwise express.

Good ploy. Just leave the voting open until the album you want voted out gets enough votes. You have therefore left me with no choice but to call in the unelectoral commission to monitor all further proceedings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2018 :  13:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Good ploy. Just leave the voting open until the album you want voted out gets enough votes. You have therefore left me with no choice but to call in the unelectoral commission to monitor all further proceedings.

I feel what you’re going through. And I’m totally open to monitoring.

But as you pointed out earlier, Snake Oil had enough votes to be eliminated yesterday. But if the anti- Petit Fours constituents would have rallied on Saturday....!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  00:14:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You understand of course my comments are in jest. But I think we need to set some ground rules now on how this works, because once all the weaker albums that we can all generally agree on are elminated then comes the task of deciding which of the greats must go, and in which order. I trust you are compiling a top 40? In the coming weeks we'll likely end up with a situation where we have up to ten albums all with one vote and this is obviously not going to work, especially if there are less than ten albums left.

Edited by - pot on 12/30/2018 00:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  02:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

You understand of course my comments are in jest. But I think we need to set some ground rules now on how this works, because once all the weaker albums that we can all generally agree on are elminated then comes the task of deciding which of the greats must go, and in which order. I trust you are compiling a top 40? In the coming weeks we'll likely end up with a situation where we have up to ten albums all with one vote and this is obviously not going to work, especially if there are less than ten albums left.

Of course pot, I'm jesting too.

The only ground rules I know of are that everybody gets one vote per round, you can change your vote as many times as you want before each Friday when I count up the votes and eliminate the album that has the most votes. "Friday" is not used in a very definite sense however. Do I mean Friday my time, your time, morning time, night time etc.? So I suppose I could tighten that up a bit, but honestly I didn't think it mattered.

Regarding the 10 way tie, that's cool with me.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  02:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And for this round I'm debating between Petit Fours and One More Road For the Hit. Both good albums but can live without them.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  10:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be easier if we didn't allow switching votes? It's tough if you see your favourite album being voted for, but hey, if anything, that's incentive to put forward a strong argument with your original vote and convince others to follow your lead. Just an idea.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  10:59:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear what you are saying pixiestu. I considered that but I think we should allow it because it's conducive to good banter. It's all about the banter. It's a good way to get a discussion going on the catalogue, bounce a few albums off each other.

Edited by - pot on 12/31/2018 10:59:44
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  12:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's no right or wrong way to do it really. It's a fun way to get discussion going.

I'm going to go Petit Fours again this round. If anything, I like it more since this survivor game started, since I've been revisiting some of my lesser listened to albums in his catalogue. But I still don't think it's better than any other collection of songs on that list.

One More Road for the Hit has Humboldt County Massacre, Pan American Highway, Constant Sorrow Man, Pray for the Girls, Living On Soul...the list goes on...

There simply aren't as many songs I feel as strongly about on Petit Fours.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  13:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Petits Fours too, I'm with pixiestu

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  18:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I’m going to go Petit as well just to keep things moving.

I do really think it’s a great album though, and I wish they’d do another one
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  03:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I noticed is Frank Black Francis is not on the list. Not sure if it counts. Isn't it basically the purple tapes and some remixed stuff?

It was interesting, but if that were a choice I would vote it off before Petits Fours.

If not, Petits Fours it is.

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  02:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The score so far is

Petit Fours - Four

Everything else - Zero

And to moonuler, yes, back earlier in the thread there was some discussion as to whether or not to include albums like FBF or 93-03 or Complete Catholics, and it looks like we didn't include them.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  04:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The score so far is

Petit Fours - Four

Everything else - Zero

And to moonuler, yes, back earlier in the thread there was some discussion as to whether or not to include albums like FBF or 93-03 or Complete Catholics, and it looks like we didn't include them.

Thanks for the info, Bedbug! Obviously I missed that part of the thread...

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  07:21:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to vote for Golem on the assumption that's what everyone will vote for next round.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  12:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd rather have Petit Fours over Abbabubba. I like Abbabubba, it has some strong moments but Petit Fours is a more complete album and less demo-y. It is probably too late but I think their album is worth saving.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000