Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  22:44:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

COP

Even if those songs drove me to buy a guitar. And then learn how to play it. Kind of.

TOTY is going all the way, I tell ya!

I once taught myself the intro to Caribou from some tabs I got; a most satisfying set of chords to play indeed. Haven't picked up my guitar for years now though sadly, I used to be a good player.

Only Pixies song I ever tried to learn..

Fuck's sake if TOTY survives every round left it's going to make playing this game pretty easy for me
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  23:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caribou has the most satisfying discordant Joey double string-bend thing at the end of the intro :)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  23:19:57  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Caribou has the most satisfying discordant Joey double string-bend thing at the end of the intro :)

Yes that was my favourite bit
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  05:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

COP - 5

TOTY - 4

TLM - 1

D - 1
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  05:52:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is unprecedented
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  06:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Trompe already has one vote on the first day of voting
As it is my sacred album, I sure want to avoid any harm

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

I'm with you on Trompe.

What I don't get is choosing to keep COP over TOTY as you try to save Trompe.

But it's a free forum, and the game's rationality is debatable at this point.

Update:

TOTY - 3

COP - 2

Trompe - 1

At the time of voting, TOTY was leading with 2 votes. To optimize Trompe's chances, I merely voted for the favorite to win this round. Nothing irrational here, Survivor tactics.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Following this, I am assuming since COP is now leading you will change your vote from TOTY to COP? Just curious really.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  06:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

This is unprecedented

At this point there are only losers, no winners.

Pitting COP and TOTY against each other is absurd. But what else can we do at this point. Which of your children are you going to cook for dinner tonight?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  06:43:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

This is unprecedented

Pitting COP and TOTY against each other is absurd. But what else can we do at this point. Which of your children are you going to cook for dinner tonight?

At all points in this game there are only losers (apart from when we get to the final album, in which case that's the winning album)

I guess TOTY is an intro album for some people, to the music of FB. I gave up on his music after Pixies split and broke my heart + there was no spotify at the time and I had no money because I was a student + my mate bought the first solo FB album and told me it was crap.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  07:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

This is unprecedented

At all points in this game there are only losers (apart from when we get to the final album, in which case that's the winning album)

I guess TOTY is an intro album for some people, to the music of FB. I gave up on his music after Pixies split and broke my heart + there was no spotify at the time and I had no money because I was a student + my mate bought the first solo FB album and told me it was crap.

People said the same thing about another of his albums you may have heard of called Bossanova.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  07:25:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did I ever tell you guys Bossanova is my favourie Pixies album? #TeamBossanova
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  07:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Did I ever tell you guys Bossanova is my favourie Pixies album? #TeamBossanova

You've let it be known a few times, and I totally support that.

It's impossible to pick between the last 7 in my opinion, but I wouldn't mind if the last album standing was Bossanova. Then again, it would be fun if COP was the winner.

Are most of us rooting against Surfer and Doolittle? No one in the world would be surprised if one of those two won.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  07:39:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kind of had a feeling Trompe might take the title. Whow knows. Looks like CoP's taking the plunge this friday though.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  08:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember TOTY being well regarded first time round. The only show I saw around the release (Reading '94) got a very marmite reaction from the crowd who definitely wanted some Pixies stuff and weren't sure about all that keyboard malarkey.

Weird how it's become a minor classic - post-grunge, pre-Britpop and slotted into the supposedly uncooler early 90s...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  09:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to think of the first post-Doolittle album that got immediately positive reviews from fans and media?

Bossanova and Trompe were both considered somewhere between lame and mediocre. That was even my initial feeling when I heard Bossanova the first time. Trompe wasn't out yet and I thought, "man, what happened? this is ok but nothing like Surfer and Doolittle." Now I feel the opposite. And I loved Trompe immediately the day it came out but some of my buddies definitely thought it was continuing the lameness ala Bossanova. Then when FB and TOTY came out, mostly not that well received. Cult of Ray, forget about it. And then the Catholics era, solo BF, 2.0, you know the story.

So what was the first album, if any, post Doolittle, that everybody immediately loved?
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  10:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought everyone was crazy for Bossa - the Surf/UFO combination was a big deal and Pod was a big plus too - no bad blood in public.
I kind of remember the press for Trompe being a bit less positive, being a bit twitchy about the idea of a Pixies 'heavy metal' album.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  10:04:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
So what was the first album, if any, post Doolittle, that everybody immediately loved?

Bluefinger.

I insisted on waiting until he started calling himself Black francis again.

(oops I forgot about Bossanova!)

Post Bossa Trompe was met with disappointment by me (maybe if I'd got to see a full lives Pixies set and heard some of the tracks off it live it might have rubbed off on me better initially)
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  01:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its between COP and TOTY, I vote TOTY.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  07:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
COP

If all of the FB albums get voted off before any Pixies albums, the website name should be changed to WIMM.net or better yet NoKim/NoDeal.net.

TOTY is among the greatest albums of all time. When i first bought it I would listen to the first half a few times and then switch to the second half. It was easier to digest and get into that way. I loved it pretty much from the get go.

Post Doolittle is when he really came on as a songwriter for me. The early albums are great, but they seem much angrier. I enjoy the wistful, melancholy vibe that his songwriting matured into much more than the early angry stuff.

I saw what I am pretty sure was the TOTY tour. Club Babyface? in Providence, RI. I did not even know he had released new material at the time, but he played a bunch of songs I did not know and it was while after FB came out. Had a blast and the audience sure seemed to be enjoying it.

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  08:16:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

COP

If all of the FB albums get voted off before any Pixies albums, the website name should be changed to WIMM.net or better yet NoKim/NoDeal.net.

But all Pixies albums are also FBF albums! (seeing as he wrote all(most) of the songs)

Pretty much all his albums involve him writing all(most) of the songs and recording them with a band.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  08:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the update is:

COP - 6

TOTY - 5

Trompe - 1

Doolittle - 1
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  09:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

COP

But all Pixies albums are also FBF albums! (seeing as he wrote all(most) of the songs)

Pretty much all his albums involve him writing all(most) of the songs and recording them with a band.

I agree with both of you.

Yes moonruler I am with you all the way re: the brilliance and majesty of TOTY. It will be a shame to see it go when it finally gets killed off.

And yes pot I agree with you that all albums in this game are FBF albums. The Pixies is just "Charles and friends," etc. The Pixies would have been just as good if your grandma would have been the bassist.

que sera sera (thank you Doris Day)
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  09:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

COP

I do agree that they are all FBF, and I love those albums, but there has always been a demarcation between "pixies" and "post-pixies". And post-pixies speaks to me a bit more.

Also, Frank Black never wrote a song for Pixies. Black Francis did. Of course, I kind of consider Bossa and Trompe as post-pixies and I definitely think of the BF solo stuff as FB.

It is funny I did not think about HC or IC as they both got voted off before most of the FB catalog.

I am full of contradictions here! Oh well. TOTY is still the greatest.

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  09:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

COP

I do agree that they are all FBF, and I love those albums, but there has always been a demarcation between "pixies" and "post-pixies". And post-pixies speaks to me a bit more.

Also, Frank Black never wrote a song for Pixies. Black Francis did. Of course, I kind of consider Bossa and Trompe as post-pixies and I definitely think of the BF solo stuff as FB.

It is funny I did not think about HC or IC as they both got voted off before most of the FB catalog.

I am full of contradictions here! Oh well. TOTY is still the greatest.

THANK YOU!

I been saying that for a while.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  09:42:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Pixies would have been just as good if your grandma would have been the bassist.

I must disagree. My gran could have maybe beem a member of The Fall, but only because they let anyone join the band who wanted to. She also had a pacemaker and was strongly religious, so that kind of rules out the possibility of her writing a song about a guy's cock. Without that and the vocals and the stoner chick image it just wouldn't have worked.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  09:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read all the arguments and listened to everything again I still vote COP. I love it and there’s a few songs on there that are pretty much essential to the development of modern music as we know it, but it’s also got the crappier Vamos. And it ends so disappointingly with Levitate Me just sort of fizzling out. I think every album we’ve kept around this long is damn close to perfect, but COP is so short it’s harder to overlook the faults.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  09:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

The Pixies would have been just as good if your grandma would have been the bassist.

I must disagree. My gran could have maybe beem a member of The Fall, but only because they let anyone join the band who wanted to. She also had a pacemaker and was strongly religious, so that kind of rules out the possibility of her writing a song about a guy's cock. Without that and the vocals and the stoner chick image it just wouldn't have worked.

I agree things would have been different. But maybe they would have been even better!
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2019 :  11:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything that came after Pixies 1.0 may be Charles and friends but that first band was a lot more than that - it's a pretty unique chemistry they had, even when it was going pear-shaped.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2019 :  06:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

And it ends so disappointingly with Levitate Me just sort of fizzling out.

But but but.....it takes you so high that even ending like Day in the Life would be a low
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2019 :  10:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

And it ends so disappointingly with Levitate Me just sort of fizzling out.

But but but.....it takes you so high that even ending like Day in the Life would be a low

Interestingly going by the Purple Tape track listing, Levitate Me is the opening track.

They probably owe Gary Smith from Fort Apache a great deal for holding back on a number of the songs that didn't make CoP but were on later albums where Albini and Norton polished them up.

It's refreshing listening to the Purple Tape to get a different take on these songs.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  15:45:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
COP

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  23:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of quips as we are moving from the impossible to the unthinkable.

Week 25 starts now:

Gone

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides
Head Carrier
FMRM
Pistolero*
SVN Fingers*
Devil's Workshop
Golem
Frank Black and the Catholics Self Titled*
Black Letter Days*
Show Me Your Tears
Dog in the Sand*
Bluefinger*
Frank Black Self-Titled
Come on Pilgrim

Still surviving:

Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
TOTY
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  23:41:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fuck's sake.

TOTY again then I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  03:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This ain't no holiday.

COP deserved so much better :(
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *