Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  10:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz said this in an interview, link in the interview thread:

PL: Yes, we're working on the next one. I think Indie Cindy was sort of a transitional phase—I mean they just lost a member—but the new one is going to be a different record. Just different. There're some really strong songs on Head Carrier, including "Classic Masher," "All I Think About Now," and "Tenement Song," and though Pixies aren't quite the explosive band they were in the '80s, they still put on a great show.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  02:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"http://www.thevinylguide.com/episodes/ep102-joey-santiago-of-the-pixies Joey Podcast.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE"

Only listened to this yesterday but it does confirm even in November that they were making a record in 2018.
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  16:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

"http://www.thevinylguide.com/episodes/ep102-joey-santiago-of-the-pixies Joey Podcast.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE"

Only listened to this yesterday but it does confirm even in November that they were making a record in 2018.

This was already posted a little while back wasn't it? I remember listening to it, there is one with Paz also.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  06:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After listening to Head Carrier for a while, I put on Indie Cindy today. Putting aside the compression issues, it was amazing how much more Pixies it "felt." Hope the songs on the new one get that density and "oddity" back

Edited by - TheScooper on 01/30/2018 06:32:33
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  08:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with you Scooper...I think Indie Cindy is much more interesting than Head Carrier, which I find to be quite a bore, save for some couple songs...Sure, Indie Cindy isn't "great", but at the very least, there's something weird going on...Bagboy is a perfect example...
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  08:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best part of Head Carrier is the efficiency and increase in track tempos. The songs are all enjoyable even if some aren't very thrilling. I appreciate the consistency, and the groove they found on it. That said, BF had better lyrics on Indie Cindy. On HC he really pared down his words to the basics and it works fine but I could use more depth. Musically I'll take HC over IC but I still am hoping for more tracks like Um Chagga Lagga/Plaster of Paris than Might As Well Be Gone/Tenement Song.

Indie Cindy plays better right now after being away from it for awhile. What Goes Boom is great. Blue Eyed Hexe is entertaining. But man, too many duds like Jaime Bravo, Ring The Bell, Another Toe, Snakes. I really can't even listen to those songs.

Maybe a combination of HC's shorter songs and musicianship with IC's new angles and BF's deeper lyrics would be pleasing. Regardless, I'm very ready to hear where the band and more importantly Charles, is at right now.

Um Chagga Lagga for me is the best Pixies 2.0 song. It's got what I want from this crew.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  10:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't listened to any songs from either 2.0 album much lately.

Still listen to Trompe regularly and plenty of 1.0 songs. Still listen to lots of Catholics stuff and solo FB / BF stuff.

That about sums it up for me.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  12:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want the next album to be weird
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  17:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Yes. Please.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  21:49:23  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just want the next album.
I miss Frank's freedom to release an album whenever he felt like it.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  00:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As BF said, IC was transitional. I like the fact that many tracks have this Trompe-like kind of feel to them (Jaime, Magdalena, Boom, TOE (!)), but it probably "fails" as a Pixies record, whatever that means, on the most experimental tracks (Snail, Snakes). Still a great record IMO. But somehow lacks the strong final cut that HC has. Some songs are just way too long/repetitive.

But the most astonishing fact is probably Pixies fans enjoying Bagboy (ew!) rather than Jaime Bravo. Bravo is classic Pixies guys. C'mon ! And Joey score is great.

And I like Another Toe.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 02/01/2018 00:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  00:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also want the new album to have something that IC and HC both sorely lacked:

B-Sides!

Women of War is very cool!

“He’ll give you conditions!”
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  09:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

B-Sides!

Just listened to WoW the other day too. Catchy tune. Would be cool if they dropped some loose songs online from time to time. Or BF shares some rough demos like Last Night The Wolves Came Out and Oh Little Cloud.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  10:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

B-Sides!

Just listened to WoW the other day too. Catchy tune. Would be cool if they dropped some loose songs online from time to time. Or BF shares some rough demos like Last Night The Wolves Came Out and Oh Little Cloud.

I totally agree.

I feel like they care too much now or something. Just put stuff out. We will love it even if we pick it apart. We still will love it.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  11:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And also it’s interesting how so many people like WOW (I realize not everybody) and yet it has Paz’s voice prominently.

Edited by - Bedbug on 02/01/2018 11:07:22
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  11:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish whoever did the final mix for WOW had also mastered the last two records.

Would also love to hear more three part harmonies like the one on WOW. As BF ages out of screaming on everything, that could be an interesting direction.

(to the other debate going on ... I LOVE bagboy. Feels totally like the Pixies, yet sounds like nothing they did before. Also love Jamie Bravo, so not sure where that puts me. Even Another Toe is cool IF you hear it live, I can't stand the version on IC.)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  12:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I for one will never get tired of talking about how compression ruined IC for the simple fact that compression ruined IC.

Let the people speak: “No more compression!”
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  01:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Let the people speak: “No more compression!”

LTPS: Great sounding record.

quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper
Even Another Toe is cool IF you hear it live, I can't stand the version on IC.)

I don't think you'll hear it live ever again !

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 02/02/2018 01:16:40
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  07:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Bagboy (most innovative pixies track in a long while) and What Goes Boom, and Oona, Baal, All The Saints...

I really hate Another Toe, Women of War, and find Jaime Bravo too "easy", like Talent or All I Think About Now

Gosh, I think I miss Kim Deal :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  10:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bagboy is the last (only?) exciting song of 2.0. No other song achieves this level of weirdness and energy and unpredictability. Even my beloved Tenement Song falls short in the energy department.

I still find What Goes Boom unlistenable because of all the garbage compression white noise in it.

The opinions continue to be varied, which was not the case for 1.0 stuff.

Another Toe is not that great, but it can get stuck in your head. I think an easy listening / dentist office version would be cool.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5993 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  21:52:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listened to IC and HC yesterday, suprisingly great records

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  23:10:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's funny how albums that don't grab you at the time can come back and make a better impression on you in hindsight. One day in the future you hear a song on the radio that you initially hated and you find yourself saying to yourself, what is that song again? I think I like(d) that a lot! I can't say I feel the same way about IC or HC though. But this has happened to me with other things. Maybe it will happen to me with Pixies 2.0 music.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  01:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC is rising in my opinion poll and HC has leveled out.

They are both good and I hope FB makes 20+ more like them
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  06:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to HC this morning, and Dave really has to step up his game
In their next release. So vanilla on most of the HC tracks. If he varied his approach up more I think it could elevate some of the songs.

Also, Classic Masher is really freakin solid and Tenement Song could be greater without such repetition in the chorus. Just have Paz's background during the verses saying it, and change up the chorus and it's great. Overall, BF can dig deeper with his songwriting and hopefully he hits a rich vein of form for whatever they are working on next.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  00:26:14  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really love Head Carrier. It's pretty straight forward, but I feel like that's what the band needed at the time.... a place for all 4 members, including Paz as a new full time contributing member, to bring it back to a solid, comfortable stage for them. Indie Cindy was a difficult transitional album, I feel like Head Carrier planted their footing in a way. After seeing them 9 times on the Head Carrier tour I feel like the band is on fire more than they've been at any other point during version 2.0, and I have a feeling album #3 is going to be really special. Here's hoping that they're gearing up to record at this very moment and that they produce some great music over the next few months.

Edited by - yarbles on 02/05/2018 00:28:03
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  03:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I totally agree.

I feel like they care too much now or something. Just put stuff out. We will love it even if we pick it apart. We still will love it.

i'm not sure it's caring too much.
my guess is that the release side is completely in the hands of manager type people. and they never just put stuff out.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  07:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They definitely can’t put out random stuff as the Pixies. And i’m sure Charles must take the other’s opinion into account before putting anything out. Even if he can probably operate a bit more freely now that Kim is gone. Band stuff.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  09:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

They definitely can’t put out random stuff as the Pixies. And i’m sure Charles must take the other’s opinion into account before putting anything out. Even if he can probably operate a bit more freely now that Kim is gone. Band stuff.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think some of their best stuff has a random feel to it. Plenty of material from the early albums have a feeling of spontaneity which I don't feel much of on 2.0. Didn't Frank even say that he wrote the second verse of Bone Machine right before he got up and performed it the first time live? And also I think he said that they wrote Ana (maybe it was another Bossanova tune) while they were in the studio because they had some time to kill or to fill.

As Tod Swank told Ed Templeton regarding Toy Machine, "Whatever, just make it rad."
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  10:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He’s 50+ and has 30+ (?) albums behind him. He once said that, as early as Trompe, he kind if lost this ability to write fast without thinking too much. I just don’t think that would work nowadays. Well, it would work for us, the 15 die-hard fans hauting this forum, probably not for the standard Pixies audience.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  07:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

He’s 50+ and has 30+ (?) albums behind him. He once said that, as early as Trompe, he kind if lost this ability to write fast without thinking too much. I just don’t think that would work nowadays. Well, it would work for us, the 15 die-hard fans hauting this forum, probably not for the standard Pixies audience.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yeah, I hear you man, and I don't disagree, you're right.

But there is such a thing as too much help.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  07:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And great point about the 15 haunts at the forum. Maybe we should form a secret society and have an annual meeting.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  09:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
next precore in my kitchen!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  14:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to stir things up, Dalgety was in LA in January and has one IG post with Paz and Joey. Maybe preliminary work/meetings?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  10:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

next precore in my kitchen!

it's educational

Count me in

--