Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  10:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not saying the negative points are not valid - they are - just the positives are far stronger (imho - not trying to present opinion as fact)

Generally in human nature, the negatives stick out more than the positives.

My favourite football (soccer) player Riquelme did the impossible perfectly but could not defend - it was the latter that defined his tenure in the national team.

The Pixies Achilles heel? Being the F'ing Pixies!

Edited by - Stevio10 on 10/08/2016 10:56:08
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  12:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://thethinair.net/2016/10/pixies-head-carrier/
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  21:04:45  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot of the reviews strike me as adolescent.

I wonder about the age of the reviewer although maybe that makes me ageist.

There seems to be this shared line out there that the album fails to recapture or resurrect the "unhinged momentum" of the early albums or the "sense that the wheels could come off at any moment" or some such phrase. But why would that be the objective?

If they had never split and had released an album a year since 88, wouldn't it be awful that they were still cranking out the same stuff? Wouldn't fans have expected some change?

And Charles Thompson has released an album a year, sometimes more. It's like there's a total blind spot regarding that.

I can't stop listening, personally.

www.alotofwind.com
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  22:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be written on their graves anyway

Charles Thompson/Joey Santiago, from the "Surfer Rosa" fame !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  09:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Head Carrier seems to have been ignored here in the UK as far as the broadsheets/widely read publications are concerned. A couple of non-reviews in The Guardian, barely anything in The Times, Telegraph etc. Strange after the relatively huge response Indie Cindy got, especially as HC is widely regarded as the first proper album in 25 years - not to mention how much better it is than IC. The impression given is that it's of no more interest or significance than, say, the latest Status Quo album; just another release from a has-been band, a couple of column inches here and there will do.

I know it doesn't really matter, I just find it curious. I was looking forward to a lengthy, in depth review from The Guardian especially as they've had decent Pixies articles in the past. Nothing, zilch.

(Also, strangely, only one youtube review I can find so far. Odd.)

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 10/11/2016 10:06:00
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  10:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, their promo was kind of cut short by Joey condition. They did a few TV shows when EP1 was released if I remember correctly.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  10:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^Yeah, good point. That may have had something to do with it. Still, the mainstream reviews tended to be just a tossed off paragraph here and there. They could still have reviewed it properly.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  11:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comparing the amount of copy the Guardian threw at the Beyonce album explains a lot about their musical priorities these days.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  06:15:19  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/maafbox.com/2016/10/13/pixies-head-carrier/amp/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  00:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/pixies-head-carrier
One more crap review to add to the collection on the minus side.

quote:
Musically, there are too many things going on and too few things going on. Every track sounds more or less the same, and every track sounds like a poor heyday tribute. The problem is evident from the second track “Classic Masher,” which is highly reminiscent of “Debaser,” even regurgitating some of that song’s same ostinati, as if to add insult to injury.

Yeah, it's really struck me how similar UCL is to MAWBG and I can't tell ATS & POP apart myself. As for BB & AITAB - clearly two peas in a pod.

Classic Masher/Debaser? Eh?

I had to look up 'ostinati' so at least I've learned a new word.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 10/19/2016 00:56:28
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7435 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  01:27:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CM and Debaser are SO similar, it's almost as if they were written by the same guy!

Seriously now, I hadn't noticed the similarity but I kind of get it now. To me CM is closer to If It Takes All Night though.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  06:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Musically, there are too many things going on and too few things going on. Every track sounds more or less the same"

This is actually my issue with the album...It just doesn't even have as many surprises and sharp turns as even Indie Cindy (or a typical Pixies album) had. Or even a typical Frank solo album. When I think of the Pixies I think of...I don't know...angular music...it doesn't have to be something like Broken Face, but there's just something about the chord changes on the new album that all just feel very "pleasant" in a way that makes all the songs blur together for me.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  07:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ hmm, I don't feel like there were that many great surprises on IC, with songs like Snakes/Magda/Jaime/Ring/Silver there isn't much there in terms of musical inventiveness or variety. Plus HC just has catchier songs. I can agree that singling out the instruments more, especially Joey, could make these songs even better. But I just don't see any world in which IC provides more musically than HC.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  22:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indie Cindy to me was nonstop surprises and sharp turns (all my opinion):

What Goes Boom was a stunner of an opening with Bossonova verses meets ??? choruses and just felt like a long lost Pixies song
Then Greens and Blues was a surprisingly sweet and affecting new Pixies ballad
Indie Cindy has an incredibly contrasting verses and chorus and some real ear catching lyrics from Frank (so does What Goes Boom, actually), it feels like the Pixies to me
Bagboy is...I mean I don't know what Bagboy is but it's certainly not the Pixies playing it safe. I'd call this song a "surprise"
Magdelena is one of my favorites and also feels like a long lost Bossanova track, I love the spacey vibe and the weird guitar stuff in the verses blended with the smooth atmospheric guitars in the chorus
Silver Snail sounds like nothing else on the album and very few things in Frank's whole career
Blue Eyed Hexe after Silver Snail is another sharp turn and another song that sounds like nothing the Pixies or Frank has ever done
Ring the Bell isn't one of my favorites, but it's another unique on the album, nothing sounds like it, and it's even hard to reconcile it as a Pixies song. But it definitely surprised me.
Another Toe I'd give you is not a very stunning track
Andro Queen also feels like a surprisingly atmospheric and left turn on the album
Snakes is another one of my favorites and feels like a Catholics song to me, I love the intro and the build of the song and the chorus is catchy...AND it doesn't sound like 1) any other Pixies or 2) any other song on that album
Jaime Bravo I sort of have no comment on, though maybe it's a bit too much like Ring the Bell.

In any case, I hope that explains why I consider IC a very eclectic album with a lot of variety and turns, whereas Head Carrier to me sounds like every song is the same thing, and none of them feeling very much like Pixies songs, whatever that may mean at this point in their career.

Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  02:24:29  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Indie Cindy sounded like an overproduced Black Francis and friends album - every "positive" review of it sounds like the writer forced them self to like it and come across confused by it. Head Carrier sounds like the Pixies for 33 glorious and effortless minutes.

Edited by - Helmut on 10/20/2016 02:25:13
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  05:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Indie Cindy sounded like an overproduced Black Francis and friends album - every "positive" review of it sounds like the writer forced them self to like it and come across confused by it. Head Carrier sounds like the Pixies for 33 glorious and effortless minutes.

100% agree.
@Troubles a foot, I can respect your view on IC, but without going song by song I'll just say that I don't feel the same about most of the songs you listed. Especially the ones I mentioned in my previous post. Too many Tame songs without that Pixies energy. HC brings that back, while pointing the band forward with more freedom.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  06:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just not sure what other people are hearing, HC sounds very tame to me and the songwriting a bit bland and anonymous (like any band could have done these songs), basically pop songs with power choruses, not too many discordant parts (like the way Blue Eyed Hexe starts, that crazy timing and the messy guitar playing), everything is just so...sanitized and clean and poppy. Now I love pop, in fact Pixies is like the only "Pixies-ish" band I listen to, it just feels odd to me for a Pixies album to sound this way. Some of it is super catchy, like Talent, but none of it is jumping out at me as any sort of new classic Pixies songs. IC had a handful. I put What Goes Boom and Magdalena (and more) on a favorite Pixies playlist on my ipod, for example, and they fit right in. Also, it feels like every song on HC is basically the same tempo and style, whereas IC had tons of variety. Baal's Back is an exception but I...don't like that song at all. All the Saints does stick out to me as something special but it mostly reminds me of "Dog in the Sand." Ah well...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  07:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the passage of time will allow people to see (hear) less of a difference in sound between FB and 1.0 Pixies (or 2.0 and 1.0 for that matter).

It's not like Pilgrim through Trompe comprise one monolithic kaboom.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  07:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^Completely the other way round for me. I like IC but love HC. Not hearing what you are at all. It would be boring if we all felt the same though!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  09:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC for me was a paradox : including some adventurous songs (Boom, Cindy, Bagboy) which are energetic, sharp, ever-changing, creative in the lyrics AND the delivery. But then a good half of the album was less inspired, and dragged a bit.
HC has several highlights, feels like a band enjoying themselves, but I still feel it too poppy and tame for my taste, though brilliantly executed on most songs.

So I think I prefer HC as an album, but I prefer a handful of songs from IC.
--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 10/20/2016 09:08:59
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  10:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not 100% sure where I stand on the two albums. For me, IC had some stellar songs - probably better than HC - but HC runs a lot smoother. And doesn't flog the good stuff to death like IC. For instance, I'd consider Indie Cindy the song as one of the best ever tracks created by Black Francis; HOWEVER, it fucking goes on way too long. Same with Bagboy (another great one). Then there's iffy tracks like Jaime Bravo which I might like if they too were clipped a good minute or two. That's one of IC's biggest problems for me - the length of the songs and the fact that most of them are the same tempo. Didn't help that one of the quicker songs Snakes wasn't very good.

HC may not be amazing but at least the songs don't stay past their welcome. They are short, direct and to the point. All killer, no filler (except Talent.. well, maybe not filler but I wish it wasn't there).
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  11:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see Ic or HC as albums, but rather as a collection of songs. Both albums have great songs, both have average songs, both have boring songs.

To me, the tops are: Boom, Indie, Jaime (could have been shorter), Oona, Saints,..
Average: Greens, Magda, Tenement, Head Carrier, Plaster,...
Boring: Snail, Snakes, Talent,...

My top 3 since Trompe:
1- Oona
2- Saints
3- Indie

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  14:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't hear a single dud in the entire tracklisting of IC.

That record is overflowing with ambition, concentration, diligence and venom - not to mention both musical and vocal baddassery of the highest order.

The fact that it was made by just 3/4 of a band under intense pressure (the likes of which they had never collectively endured before) makes it all the more impressive to me.

I liked HC in general from the get-go and am enjoying it in a wider variety of ways the more I listen to it.

However, comparatively, IC is a much more stunning and cohesive collection of songs - specifically because on the surface its tracks seem to be less cohesive with each other, while somehow sharing the same basic conceptual space.

HC sounds like what it is: a tightly rehearsed batch of tunes that the band lived with and honed within an inch of their life for months before putting them down for posterity.

IC sounds like what it is as well: the sound of eight iron fists (twelve if you count Ding's and Jeremy's) throwing all manner of musical ideas --and no small amount of fear and rage-- at the studio wall and seeing what sticks.

There is no denying that there are WAY MORE ideas (and curveballs) contained on IC than on HC.

Nothing wrong with that. Every album does not have to swing for the rafters. Both types of efforts have their place. But for me, at least, while HC might feel more like a "proper" Pixies record to the actual boys (and girl) in the band - as well as many of their fans, IC was clearly a much more ballsy, risk-taking blast of chaotic, desperate creativity.

For that reason alone, it speaks to me as an album in a way that HC simply cannot, no matter how many legitimate, memorable highlights are contained within the new record's very estimable grooves.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  14:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC just doesn't work and HC does, for me. None of the tracks on IC make me go "oh wow, they are really going out on a limb here". And I don't really feel the power of those 8 fists, good imagery though, on the album. This is all subjective though but I think you may be exaggerating the chances and risks the band took. IC lacks confidence and although some of you may appreciate more the "warts and all" stuff on that album, I can't see myself listening to it very much aside from the key tracks. Aside from a few songs the album lacks edge and oomph, Indie Cindy's spoken chorus just doesn't work for me on related listening, and the contrast of the chorus musically is too severe. Live version of that song still sounds wrong and lacking.

Blue Eyed Hexe sounds so strong because the rest are quite soft. Boom is the best track for me, the verses are awesome and although Joey's guitar is a bit cheesy on it, it's tight from start to finish. The rest have moments or clips of better stuff, but just don't really stand out or come together effectively. I think it's pretty telling the band are kinda writing IC off a bit in HC promo interviews.

Give me HC any damn day of the week. It's a better album.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  14:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

IC for me was a paradox : including some adventurous songs (Boom, Cindy, Bagboy) which are energetic, sharp, ever-changing, creative in the lyrics AND the delivery. But then a good half of the album was less inspired, and dragged a bit.
HC has several highlights, feels like a band enjoying themselves, but I still feel it too poppy and tame for my taste, though brilliantly executed on most songs.

So I think I prefer HC as an album, but I prefer a handful of songs from IC.
--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

I like your descriptions of the albums here. Agree with a lot of it. I enjoy the pop aspect of HC because it's good for any time listening. Would be cool to see them proceed to combine the desire for loud quiet loud dynamics on IC (the song) with the tight writing and playing of HC (the album).

BF's writing for me is the best and worst part of HC. He does what he needs to but I really want more after every listen. Especially on Bel Espirit/Might//Talent.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  20:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting how there's absolutely no consensus whatsoever among fans or even reviewers about those two albums !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2016 :  05:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Interesting how there's absolutely no consensus whatsoever among fans or even reviewers about those two albums !

YES!

I mean, NO!

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  06:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Pixies Mix Old & New on Latest Record"
http://onetrackmine.com/pixies-mix-old-and-new-on-latest-record/