Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  05:16:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

A Dutch interview (filled with some factual mistakes) says that Kim contacted Dave and Joey via e-mail and Whatsapp asking if they needed her on bass.
She was willing to play on Head Carrier.

I doubt this info, but it is printed in a well respected Dutch newspaper.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  06:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's possible but I'm quite skeptical.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  08:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"please, I wanna be in your band" ;)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  09:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During Indie Cindy, BF or Joey said she got in contact with them again after she initially quit to see if they needed her back. Maybe the interviewer is confusing the time frames.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  11:06:30  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

During Indie Cindy, BF or Joey said she got in contact with them again after she initially quit to see if they needed her back. Maybe the interviewer is confusing the time frames.

This is quite possible. Because the interviewer also wrote that Paz was already filling in for her on Indie Cindy, together with other bass players like Ding.

We do know that the Pixies let Paz audition before giving Kim 2 the job, but I don't think she recorded with them

The interviewer is a well known rock critic, but seems to be mixing up some stories.

Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  11:32:13  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I never knew she contacted them asking if they needed her to play bass on the album.... I thought she said she was done and flew home and that was that.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  11:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.vogue.com/13488640/pixies-head-carrier-black-francis-interview/
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  14:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"...and how he came to call the new album Head Carrier. (The title is not, it turns out, a reference to “Where Is My Mind?”)".

Ahah, and they also managed to squeeze in the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit" being a Pixies rip-off quote from Kurt Cobain. Impressive.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  22:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.hotpress.com/Pixies/features/interviews/Here-comes-your-band/18946982.html
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  01:27:04  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://stack.net.au/music/paz-lenchantin-excited-upcoming-pixies-dates/ Paz interview preview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Edited by - pixie punk on 10/13/2016 01:32:02
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  23:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not exactly an interview but nice all the same

http://www.nme.com/features/inside-the-cult-of-pixies-why-theyre-not-just-a-band?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  10:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great interview, love how BF remembers shows in Dundee and Aberdeen (I moved to Dundee 2006, the Catholics played here 2001 in a tiny venue, though I saw them at King Tuts in Glasgow the night after - best gig I have ever witnessed…- Miracle Legion a close second.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/music/music-news/pixies-set-rock-barras-frontman-9006872
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  12:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good interview! Would love to see them do the soundtrack for a shitty horror movie or something (can't really see them doing anything major like the films Nick Cave and Warren Ellis have been doing).
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  21:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their music would be ideal for something like 'Twin Peaks', when I heard All The Saints I instantly thought of the twin peaks opening music.

I'm sure David Lynch wanted to use their music before - was it Ana? But ended up using some Smashing Pumpkins track.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11743
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  09:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://bit.ly/2e1iL29

Joey/Paz interview for Premier Guitar.

Don't be fooled by the first paragraph & the same old Cobain-ripping-off-the-Pixies song.

Didn't know Joey tuned his E string to C# for Havalina ! (Especially knowing that the rythm part is tuned a half-step up!). I always like when I learn some new Pixies folklore from interviews.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/18/2016 09:09:06
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2016 :  13:56:26  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://goodtimes.sc/santa-cruz-arts-entertainment/santa-cruz-music/preview-pixies-play-catalyst/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  15:49:49  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article109477192.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  11:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

This is quite possible. Because the interviewer also wrote that Paz was already filling in for her on Indie Cindy, together with other bass players like Ding.

We do know that the Pixies let Paz audition before giving Kim 2 the job, but I don't think she recorded with them

The interviewer is a well known rock critic, but seems to be mixing up some stories.

Yup. When Deal quit the recording sessions for Indie Cindy, she told one or more of the guys, "IF you need any more bass, let me know."...or something to that effect. Deal was implying that she was open to playing more live gigs, but not recording. The guys hired someone else, basically telling Deal to fuck off.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't presume to know Kim Deal's mind regarding any of this, but I can respect where she's coming from regarding new music and if her reverence for their legacy was a motivating factor. A different and less creatively challenging approach but understandable.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  08:51:55  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Understandable, but I guess it just a part of her motivation. What about the legacy of the Breeders? She is making a new record with the classic line up of Last Splash as we speak...

The truth is she probably wants to call the shots and doesn't want to work with FBF and play second fiddle.

Just speculation of course

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  09:52:04  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Understandable, but I guess it just a part of her motivation. What about the legacy of the Breeders? She is making a new record with the classic line up of Last Splash as we speak...

The truth is she probably wants to call the shots and doesn't want to work with FBF and play second fiddle.

The Breeders already finished recording their new album and Kim also has recorded her next single for her Kimdeal music releases.Can't wait :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  01:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That could be true. I speculate that Pixies is simply too time consuming for her personal life. Basically a three year, intense commitment to make and promote a new album. I think Kim is more content spending time with her sister and family, knitting, and releasing music more as a hobby than a profession. I can't say that she is wrong, however.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  04:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope Joey won't start knitting after rehab like Kim.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  12:59:54  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/pixies-black-francis-5-songs-i-wish-i-wrote-w446656

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  03:00:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.wmse.org/event/phone-interview-paz-lenchantin-pixies/?instance_id=2962 Paz has a live phone interview today @ 91.7 WMSE.Tune in to listen live.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  02:38:28  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwYU_N-KMM David,radio interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  08:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brick-brick/201611/how-black-francis-pixies-writes-his-own-narrative

Really like this interview.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  10:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a fantastic interview. Glad that fellow pursued it and that FBF agreed to take part. Great stuff, even with the obligatory Nirvana reference.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  10:33:48  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very good.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  01:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stevio10, that was an interesting read. Generally speaking I'm not one to analyze the personality of an artist who's work I enjoy, but this interview does seem to shed some light on Pixies interactions and Frank's lack of obvious sentiment regarding old albums, reunions, and so forth.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  02:41:28  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/1171/paz-lenchantin-powers-the-pixies/60499

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Flairicho2
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  15:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute. That article says she approached Kim Deal's bass parts on Indie Cindy differently .... does that mean Kim played on the record?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  01:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't Kim left in the middle of the recording sessions ? If so, she probably had already recorded a few bass lines that eventually ended up (re-recorded) on the album. Maybe she left when she was told to use a Moog pedalboard, which is probably the most un-Pixies FX ever !

To be honest, I'm still convinced the "Bagboy" chorus is actually Kim's voice (same sample repeated over and over). Maybe she's uncredited on some tracks.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  01:51:12  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flairicho2

Wait a minute. That article says she approached Kim Deal's bass parts on Indie Cindy differently .... does that mean Kim played on the record?

I'm pretty sure that's a misquote or probably mentioned Kim Deal instead of Kim S. who was the one using the Moog Taurus live on Bagboy and Silver Snail.Paz uses the pedal too.Not sure if Ding used the pedal when he recorded Indie Cindy.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  05:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim Deal definitely contributed musically to at least some Indie Cindy material. 'Bagboy' for instance:

Black Francis: "Originally I recorded that song with David at Joey’s studio about four years previous, without lyrics or not m… I don’t think it had lyrics. And it was a different kind of feel, it was slightly more bluesy or something. When we rehearsed it at the ill fated rehearsal session I believe actually Kim kind of disassembled the song somewhat, you know to try to kind of find a breath of fresh air for it or something. There had been several attempts even before any lyrics had were written to make the music into something that felt right. It had slightly different feels and different versions, different arrangements through the whole process."

I recall she contributed to 'Indie Cindy' too. That said non of the bass parts she actually played made it to the album (at least reportedly). Ding would have re-recorded them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000