- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  08:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk
http://m.metrotimes.com/music/joey-santiago-of-the-pixies-1.1629191

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

"I've always liked the Filmore. I love that venue. It reminds me of the Olympia in Dublin where it seems like a cage when you're onstage. It just goes up. I like it."

Had the honour of speaking to Joey in the bar of the Olympia a few years ago, he said he always found the sound in the Olympia really good.

Edited by - Carl on 02/05/2014 08:45:38
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  12:16:16  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.alivemag.com/blog/index.php/2014/02/ahead-of-thursdays-stl-show-joey-santiago-talks-the-pixies-and-new-music/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  14:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey stays taking subliminal shots at Kim S. What in the world did she do to piss him off so much? Haha.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  15:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://twitter.com/thebridge_movie/statuses/430757221740212225

Another today, ha.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  15:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"JS: Oh, well, the three of us would have had really different opinions on what to do there. The manager kind of knew that, and he asked his so-called committee to choose. So, they were chosen, and we thought, “Alright. That’s acceptable. You all know what you’re talking about, and we make the music. You guys can break this up tastefully into pieces.” We just play the music. It’s the best we could ask for."

lol
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  15:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe you me, I genuinely love all Pixies music and most of their new songs and especially always love their shows. But find it a tad disingenuous for Joey to say thay "had a choice to make. we had to grow and couldn't be too nostalgic & played old songs. We'd rather go into the future then delve too far into the past".

Well.......from 2004 to 2013 all they did was to delve into the past. And, with all their current tour shows, out of about 33 songs, about 27 of them delve into the past. And if they'd rather 'go into the future', then DO it already. These "piece meal, occasional scraps" (ie EP's)whilst touring ince$$antly ain't exactly all that, imo. A tour re$pite, a nice long, full LP's worth of NEW music would kind of sound like 'growing and moving into the future', eh?
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  15:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the committee said maybe next time.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  17:28:55  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://filtermagazine.com/index.php/exclusives/entry/pixies_into_the_white

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  19:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"We finally broke the ice and started recording again. The next move is to surprise people with a new sound." (Last sentence in the Detroit Metro Times interview).

Sounds interesting..
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  19:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  21:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" What the fuck do I have to complain about? Nothing." -BF
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  21:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

Believe you me, I genuinely love all Pixies music and most of their new songs and especially always love their shows. But find it a tad disingenuous for Joey to say thay "had a choice to make. we had to grow and couldn't be too nostalgic & played old songs. We'd rather go into the future then delve too far into the past".

Well.......from 2004 to 2013 all they did was to delve into the past. And, with all their current tour shows, out of about 33 songs, about 27 of them delve into the past. And if they'd rather 'go into the future', then DO it already. These "piece meal, occasional scraps" (ie EP's)whilst touring ince$$antly ain't exactly all that, imo. A tour re$pite, a nice long, full LP's worth of NEW music would kind of sound like 'growing and moving into the future', eh?

What they are doing right now seems to be working very freakin well for the band. The new stuff is growing on people if it didn't immediately, the tour is selling well, reaction has been positive for the most part, and it seems like the live shows are high quality. Why still harp on the no LP thing?

They obviously wanted to do new music for some time but as we all know there were many reasons why it took until now. You seem to be criticizing them for taking too long to get to this point.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  08:38:41  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2014/02/interview_pixies_joey_santiago.php

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  08:50:41  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://m.realdetroitweekly.com/detroit/dusted-off/Content?oid=1613743

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  09:02:23  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://m.pitch.com/kansascity/pixies-cults-midland-february-11/Content?oid=4106881&issue=4106864

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  09:09:36  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://jaimeville.com/2014/02/06/pixies-guitarist-joey-santiago-talks-about-touring-and-life-after-kim-deal/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  14:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^More shots at Kim S especially in the first linked interview.

Joey is on a roll! Dude is feeling it right now. Awesome.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  15:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why is that cool?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  15:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

why is that cool?

I posted two seperate statements. They are not meant to be related, hence the spacing.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  20:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(About Paz)
"She's very enthusiastic. Her reputation as a touring bassist that could blend with anybody and not be annoying preceded her.
No one jumping off the stage or any of that nonsense! You can quote me on that one. None of those silly things you do. Act your age! We're already waving to the audience, you don't have to get on their face. Like I said, we let the music do the talking. We don't do somersaults. We've got this thing and people relate to us. It makes you want to be in a band. We've never done back flips or any of that stuff. We don't need to. Join another band or something."

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  11:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

(About Paz)
"She's very enthusiastic. Her reputation as a touring bassist that could blend with anybody and not be annoying preceded her.
No one jumping off the stage or any of that nonsense! You can quote me on that one. None of those silly things you do. Act your age! We're already waving to the audience, you don't have to get on their face. Like I said, we let the music do the talking. We don't do somersaults. We've got this thing and people relate to us. It makes you want to be in a band. We've never done back flips or any of that stuff. We don't need to. Join another band or something."

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Classy.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  21:59:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, not that classy at all. I'm surprised by Joey's interviews lately. He opened up and that makes his interviews a lot more interesting. But there's also some vitriol there.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  22:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

But there's also some vitriol there.

May be some cause there too.

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  22:57:50  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is about time Joey had a voice, his interviews are less showbiz and talk more to the fan. I wonder if his divorce/new girlfriend, getting back to make good music and his (seemingly, post Kim Deal) bigger role in the Pixies has brought him out of his shell?
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  04:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I guess Kim left because of personal family issues or something. Hope she comes back, the band does need her.

"It was weird. It was a different energy -- someone bopping their head," Mr. Santiago says. "It was like, 'Oh [expletive], I think this might be the wrong energy.' You know, hopping around and singing very 'singy.' We missed her. That's when we missed [Ms. Deal] when we saw those shenanigans, like, 'Oh, [expletive] we picked the wrong person.'"

That is kind of stupid on many levels. Kim S. couldn't sing a song to save her life(how they didn't know that going in is beyond me), but criticizing having enjoyment about playing is repulsive.

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  05:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

Yeah I guess Kim left because of personal family issues or something. Hope she comes back, the band does need her.

"It was weird. It was a different energy -- someone bopping their head," Mr. Santiago says. "It was like, 'Oh [expletive], I think this might be the wrong energy.' You know, hopping around and singing very 'singy.' We missed her. That's when we missed [Ms. Deal] when we saw those shenanigans, like, 'Oh, [expletive] we picked the wrong person.'"

That is kind of stupid on many levels. Kim S. couldn't sing a song to save her life(how they didn't know that going in is beyond me), but criticizing having enjoyment about playing is repulsive.

Let's face it. some or all of Charles/Joey/Dave (Deal-less Pixies) were less than impressed with Kim on a personal and professional level and once anybody gets something like that in their heads' it's not going to turn out well. without saying "Kim S was annoying" it has been repeated a thousand times. you shouldn't find that repulsive; i don't think they weren't happy with Kim S enjoying herself, they were just annoyed. and being annoyed is a funny thing because really; the only solution is withdrawal.

i remember when my daughter was about 10 and she was kind of upset one time at school because there was this girl that she thought she was friends with but had told her the opposite and that hurt my daughter's feelings. I tried telling her that not all people like everybody and that's ok and reminded her of a couple kids that she didn't get along with.

unfortunately, once someone has made up their mind about that - it's not like in the movies; you don't get "won over" and there are very few "i was wrong about you" moments. in reality, people just move on. and i'm sure Deal-less Pixies want to do the same but journos keep asking. eventually they will tire of that and Kim S will be a blip.

personally, i'm glad i got Paz for my leg of the tour; IMO she is many times more competent. i think most will agree. :)

"Fundamentally, all writing is about the same thing; it's about dying, about the brief flicker of time we have here, and the frustration that it creates.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  06:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were unhappy with Kim S, as that quote clearly says. And it is honestly a really, really bad attitude to have. It is like Ryan Adams - come to my show, but don't applaud too loudly or I will leave the stage! She wasn't over the top, apart from that one incident(that we know of). I am starting to see why Kim Deal really didn't like the band back in 1993.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  07:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

They were unhappy with Kim S, as that quote clearly says. And it is honestly a really, really bad attitude to have. It is like Ryan Adams - come to my show, but don't applaud too loudly or I will leave the stage! She wasn't over the top, apart from that one incident(that we know of). I am starting to see why Kim Deal really didn't like the band back in 1993.

I don't hear you criticising Kim S for anything at all. That to me is a really, really bad attitude to have. What you seem to be saying is Joey (and Charles and David?) are just douchebags who do shitty stuff to people for no good reason. We know that they just aren't like that. The idea that a guest bassist should have free reign to stomp all over an established band ethos, cos "having fun" matters more than professionalism, is pretty laughable. Pixies are not some half-assed punk collective.

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  07:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you totally illiterate? If you could read up three posts you would see I wrote that she can't sing. But if Joey's best example as to why she was removed from the band was do to her "hopping around singing on stage" then you are nit picking to the extreme. Like I said, bad attitude.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  08:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopping around singing on stage? You're being literal. Try reading between the lines. They either had reason or they didn't. Which is it?

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  08:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Frank, you shouldn't read between the lines. He is pretty tired having his words taken out of context. I am only going by what Joey said. She had 1 known fuck up. Worked very hard to learn a shit ton of songs in a short amount of time. Did her best, showed up on time. And they decided to not even tell her she wasn't going to be hired again, and didn't even give her a reason. Then complained when she told a journalist that she had no idea why she was fired. Ya, stay classy.

If personalities didn't mesh, then that is a perfect reason to not move forward. But they didn't say that. I am sure they had reasons that they should have voiced to KS, and not take unnecessary, rude comments to the media depicting her as unprofessional and annoying (without any real evidence).
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  09:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading between the lines, Joey said what he said, why exactly? Cos he's a douchebag, or there was some misunderstanding, or aliens have taken over his brain? What are you saying exactly? Stop being coy.

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  09:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Reading between the lines, Joey said what he said, why exactly? Cos he's a douchebag, or there was some misunderstanding, or aliens have taken over his brain? What are you saying exactly? Stop being coy.

As I said, don't read between the lines. If you can't figure out what I am saying at this point then I feel sorry for you.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  10:42:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Especially Frank was very happy with Kim S in the band, talking about recording with her and stuff. Then she showed up on publicity photo's and all of a sudden it was over.

You are not owing me (as a fan) an explanation, but I guess you do own your employee one. It's a shame the Pixies took another route. As far as we know...

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  10:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

As I said, don't read between the lines. If you can't figure out what I am saying at this point then I feel sorry for you.

You're no fun

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000