fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  19:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah baby!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8fbNGodOM

this one has been on serious rotation!

BLACK FRANCIS: I based a lot of the poetic meter on a famous old song called “The Great Pretender,” which was written by Buck Ram. It’s a very well organized and particular song, lyrically; and I based this song on the rhythm and the length of the lines and the number of syllables in that skeletal structure. I’ve never done that. I worked a long time on it and it wasn’t easy to do; I’m not even sure where the music came from, because usually I write the music first and then the words. This was one of those rare instances where I wrote the lyrics first and put music underneath that. It was an interesting exercise.

plus i think black is singing a part in esperanto!

mi aspekti al la cxielo por via reveni
mi aspekti cxe via mano al vidi la ringo
kaj ni will promeni kune al via cambro
nia ami will esti nova
nia ami will esti nova

google translator....

I look to the heavens for your return
I look at your hand to see the ring
and we will walk together to your room
our love will be a new
our love will be a new

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  08:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone on the board speak esperanto? supposedly it can only take 30 hours to learn!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

yeah bebo! luli en bitches! havas grandan tagon!

Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  09:41:39  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else get a bit of Grandaddy feel to this song? I think it might be the hint of keys/synth and the overall hopeful sadness thing going on.

Love the chorus in particular.

At the min it is probably my fave of the EP.

----------------------------------------

http://snailhead.bandcamp.com/
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  11:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the acorahs

Does anyone else get a bit of Grandaddy feel to this song? I think it might be the hint of keys/synth and the overall hopeful sadness thing going on.

Love the chorus in particular.

At the min it is probably my fave of the EP.

----------------------------------------

http://snailhead.bandcamp.com/

No, not really getting Grandaddy (or Jason Lytle).

I'm struggling with this track for some reason. Not keen on the drumming, vocals and guitar effect.

The humble apple
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  02:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't like that drumming either. it sounds cheesy to me.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  02:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exactly
"not keen on the drumming, vocals and guitar effect"
absolutely the same for me
the version with Dubs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hyNoKPdsk) was perfect, raw, minimalistic, and natural

even Dubs drumming had more seduction

+ the esperanto bridge totally cuts the flow before "she's off in a silver rocket"
if really needed, this bridge could have been put at the end instead of popping-in like that.

probably Gil Norton was instrumental in bringing that production approach

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 09/09/2013 02:35:25
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  14:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Andro is the strongest offering on EP1. I find Lovering's drumming, especially the rolling he does between verse one and two to be chillingly beautiful with the heavily reverbed guitars. There is a spacey beauty and the imagery is robust, and the Esperanto poetry is perfectly out-of-place. I dont get why people are so adamant about this new material NOT sounding like PIXIES. Its got all the proper ingredients + twenty years of evolution. I even find Another Toe to be catchy and fun. But thats just me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  14:29:55  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

I think Andro is the strongest offering on EP1. I find Lovering's drumming, especially the rolling he does between verse one and two to be chillingly beautiful with the heavily reverbed guitars. There is a spacey beauty and the imagery is robust, and the Esperanto poetry is perfectly out-of-place. I dont get why people are so adamant about this new material NOT sounding like PIXIES. Its got all the proper ingredients + twenty years of evolution. I even find Another Toe to be catchy and fun. But thats just me.
Trans the Esperanto part is the reassuring part that Charles is Speaking in Tongues and in TOP Pixies frame of mind.Totally agree and Another Toe was the one that sent me on my google search for Edward Thatch.BLACK(Francis)BEARD the pirate as mentioned on another thread :-)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  18:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone think this is one of frank’s onion songs?! Just throwing it out there…....peel back the layers!!

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  18:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whatever happened with this?!

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=682&whichpage=2

Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  23:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really love Andro Queen, think this might be my fave actually. Between this and Another Toe. I love everything about it and disagree with the Esperanto part ruining the flow. That piece is magical. There is a section while FB is talking in Esperanto and there is a melody being sung in the background, kind of a harmony thing, while the military drum beat is rolling, its an amazing build up, really beautiful. Then we get the "she's off in her silver rocket" which changes the tempo. Pure genius. The only thing is i wish that harmony thing was louder, its almost hypnotic. Brilliant. Love it. Thats the great thing about this and Cindy, they are epic and have multiple parts. I think it all hangs together fantastically well. Love it.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  00:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Really love Andro Queen, think this might be my fave actually. Between this and Another Toe. I love everything about it and disagree with the Esperanto part ruining the flow. That piece is magical. There is a section while FB is talking in Esperanto and there is a melody being sung in the background, kind of a harmony thing, while the military drum beat is rolling, its an amazing build up, really beautiful. Then we get the "she's off in her silver rocket" which changes the tempo. Pure genius. The only thing is i wish that harmony thing was louder, its almost hypnotic. Brilliant. Love it. Thats the great thing about this and Cindy, they are epic and have multiple parts. I think it all hangs together fantastically well. Love it.

ditto!

just throwing it out there.....i wonder if this song- being on the first track of the ep, is intended to be a continuation of the trompe le monde theme. space, rockets, saturn!

ok..or how bout this one.....thinking outside the box....andro=male....male queen.... freddie mercury!!

Edited by - fumanbru on 09/10/2013 01:46:39
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  01:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Thats the great thing about this and Cindy, they are epic and have multiple parts. I think it all hangs together fantastically well. Love it.

right on. i'm not so "worried" about the average song length ticking up a minute or two on these new songs. they apparently know what the fuck they're doing.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  07:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just comparing the first occurrence of the song (live with Dubs) and the recorded one
I like the esperanto thing but it seems artificially stuck there, almost as if in post-prod.
Would have sounded better as a climax outro for me

I always thought Andro was for Andromeda (bf visited by a lovely creature from outer space)

--
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  08:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

yeah baby!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8fbNGodOM

this one has been on serious rotation!

BLACK FRANCIS: I based a lot of the poetic meter on a famous old song called “The Great Pretender,” which was written by Buck Ram. It’s a very well organized and particular song, lyrically; and I based this song on the rhythm and the length of the lines and the number of syllables in that skeletal structure. I’ve never done that. I worked a long time on it and it wasn’t easy to do; I’m not even sure where the music came from, because usually I write the music first and then the words. This was one of those rare instances where I wrote the lyrics first and put music underneath that. It was an interesting exercise.

plus i think black is singing a part in esperanto!

mi aspekti al la cxielo por via reveni
mi aspekti cxe via mano al vidi la ringo
kaj ni will promeni kune al via cambro
nia ami will esti nova
nia ami will esti nova

google translator....

I look to the heavens for your return
and we will walk together to your room
our love will be a new
our love will be a new

Thanks for translating it, makes a big difference in how I view/hear that section of the song.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  00:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks sdon!

Andromeda: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_(mythology)

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  12:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This song is beautiful and strange. That combination is one of Frank's specialties and Joey Santiago's twangy and dreamy guitar is a perfect match for it. The instrumental track would sound great as part of a film score.

Seriously, seriously underrated. As a ballad, I think it matches "Velouria".

A week later, this my enduring favorite on the EP.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  13:12:19  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

This song is beautiful and strange. That combination is one of Frank's specialties and Joey Santiago's twangy and dreamy guitar is a perfect match for it. The instrumental track would sound great as part of a film score.

Seriously, seriously underrated. As a ballad, I think it matches "Velouria".

A week later, this my enduring favorite on the EP.

Agree with everything. I think it's been my favorite since the word go though. I think you'll find this one growing in popularity through the coming months. People forget that quite often it takes several listens to Charles-penned material to start to get it and dig it, then love it. For me it's the odd track that truly grabs me right off and I love. This was one of them.

I'm pretty sure the first time I heard Pixies I thought "Hey, that's pretty nifty. Kind of weird though." I didn't think I had just heard what would become my favorite artist.

Everybody calm down, I'm the Burgermeister of Purgatory
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  13:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've said before this is one of my favourites. I remember when the video of him playing solo leaked I was a bit underwhelmed, but like many of his songs I grew to really like it over a couple weeks. A very subtle chord progression/melody. I'm also a fan of the studio version, it was a completely left field of what I expected, but not in a bad way.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:45:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've read a few reviews and corresponding comments (not here) expressing shock and disgust that Andro Queen uses such heavy and blatant auto-tune.

*****Record scratch******

What the fuck? These people are mentally challenged for sure, but that's really no excuse.

Clearly they have never heard the examples of this style of singing that Charles can pull off. There's no auto-tune there. That's just what he sounds like when he sings in that voice. (see Stupid Me, Terrible Ways, etc)

Everybody calm down, I'm the Burgermeister of Purgatory

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/12/2013 12:53:26
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  21:28:20  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I still wonder too where they heard some auto-tune. But then I'm not an expert.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  23:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess those who think it's over produced and autotuned are the same who didn't like the Catholics's live to two track recordings.

Edited by - remig on 09/18/2013 00:40:50
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  01:17:13  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

ditto!

just throwing it out there.....i wonder if this song- being on the first track of the ep, is intended to be a continuation of the trompe le monde theme. space, rockets, saturn!

ok..or how bout this one.....thinking outside the box....andro=male....male queen.... freddie mercury!!

When I read about Norton giving them a narrative to work with, namely that Pixies had been away on the Planet of Sound for 20 yrs and were now returning, Andro Queen seems to express that perfectly

www.alotofwind.com
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  12:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one has yet to really hit me. I like it, but not as much as the others. Indie Cindy is really starting to grow on me, so maybe this one will, too.

Edited by - moonruler on 09/19/2013 13:00:49
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2013 :  08:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyways, Andro Queen is my favorite ballad FB has written in years (Don't Get Me Wrong comes close, maybe?). Far and away my favorite from EP1 and it seems to be seriously underated around these parts. Beautifully simple, no curve balls (does the Esperanto singing count as a left field touch?), just near perfection. Maybe Joey could have added a couple more notes to the chorus melody, but that's it.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2013 :  11:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though I'm partial to Interlingua myself, I know a little about Esperanto. It's relatively easy to learn (though the 30 hour claim is just propaganda nonsense) and has one of the simplest grammars in any human language, yet Mr. Black Francis manages to butcher it thoroughly. For example, the word "will" is not Esperanto at all -- the future tense is instead expressed with the -os suffix: "our love will be (a) new" = "nia amo estos nova". It seems clear he saw it as a fun gimmick and nothing more. Which is how we know and love him, of course. I'm just glad he didn't choose my favourite auxlang to mangle...
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2013 :  16:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

Anyways, Andro Queen is my favorite ballad FB has written in years (Don't Get Me Wrong comes close, maybe?). Far and away my favorite from EP1 and it seems to be seriously underated around these parts. Beautifully simple, no curve balls (does the Esperanto singing count as a left field touch?), just near perfection. Maybe Joey could have added a couple more notes to the chorus melody, but that's it.

I like it a lot too, as well as Don't Get Me Wrong. Like you said, both are simple and beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  07:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like Andro Queen, though not the version on EP1, which I find overproduced.
It's very well structured and written
I rank it in the same league as Dog Gone and Selkie Bride

--
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  08:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVE "Andro Queen".

Frank's words and melody are great, but sometimes when I listen to it, I tune out the vocals and just listen to the music, which sounds worthy of a film score, to me. This track is pure beauty.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  07:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably my favourite song from the new EPs. I agree with this and Don't Get Me Wrong being right up there as two of Frank's best ballads.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  09:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't until I heard played after 'In Heaven...' at the recent shows that I really began to like this song. Enjoy it now.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  03:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just came across this at songmeanings.com.

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107859468242/

i like the interpretation.

General Comment:The foreign language part is Esperanto (not Spanish), a language created academically as a sort of world-language. Translation:

"I look to the heavens for your return
And we will walk together to your room
Our love will be a new
Our love will be a new"

As far as this song goes, I'm guessing Andro refers to either/or both an android or an androgynous person. Android would fit with all the sci-fi imagery, and combined with the esperanto, it seems like love story told through a futuristic vision of society.

The protagonist is a human, in love with an android, considering trading some human parts for bio-mechanics so that their relationship with the 'andro queen' will work. She goes away, he upgrades, and now he's waiting for her to return from space so they can finally bone.

"For what's missing I'll sacrifice my flesh
Only kissing you is so hard in this wild thresh"

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  05:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it fu. Flesh rhymed with thresh that brings to mind notions of industrial revolution. Very evocative.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  05:58:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So for some reason I've been singing this lately as Rambo Queen.

... I wave goodbye to Rambo...

weird

"A word to the wise is infuriating."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  05:11:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The production kills the song for me.

This IS one of Franks good ballads. Why doesnt it sound like a personal, authentic or intimate song? Just vocals and guitar would be okay.
The drumming, the guitars...they don't serve the song. In my opinion. The great snare-hit is tasteless.

I'm nor sure if there's autotune on it, but it does sound very artificial with alll those effects on his voice. Just the way 'Queen' sounds in the first sentence. It doesn't sound like Frank. Okay it does, but it does not suite him. Could be the much hated compression in combination with the strong reverb. I'm no expert, but there's sound everywhere.

I'm pretty sure this song would be tons better if it was produced the way Don't Get Me Wrong is. Or like the songs on The Golem. So much air, so much space. Those tracks breathe.

In a way, this is what bothers me the most on these EP's (I'm thrilled by most of the songs). The mixing and mastering could have been a bit better. Again, in my opinion.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  07:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I'm pretty sure this song would be tons better if it was produced the way Don't Get Me Wrong is. Or like the songs on The Golem. So much air, so much space. Those tracks breathe.

Bill,

I understand where you're coming from here. However, I think it is our collective "curse" as longtime FBF fans to view things from that perspective.

I love the "sound" of the studio recordings of "Don't Get Me Wrong," and THE GOLEM, but -- and here's the rub -- those are "Frank Black" and "Black Francis" records, whereas "Andro Queen" is a "Pixies" record.

Just as those kinds of production values seem intrinsically linked to FBF's output for those of us who own and dig them, they simply were never designed with this band in mind.

Neil Young has some songs that he performs with different arrangements and sonic approaches depending on which of his many lineups he's working with at that particular show or on that particular session. Crazy Horse does not sound anything like The Stray Gators (his Harvest-era group), and little like Booker T & The MG's -- yet each one finds their own way to interpret some of his tunes.

Then again, there are many songs that Neil simply will never perform or record with a lineup other than that which he had in mind when composing or first recording and/or performing them. They are designed with that sound and those particular musicians and/or production in mind.

It would seem that FBF segregates his compositions in a similar fashion to Neil.

There are Pixies songs and there are non-Pixies songs, and never the train shall meet -- even with FBF tunes that seem to many fans' ears to be CUSTOM-MADE for the Pixies treatment (such as "Bullet," "Nadine," "Kicked in the Taco," "Threshold Apprehension," "Six-Legged Man," "I Want Rock & Roll," "Fort Wayne," and "Do What You Want [Gyaneshwar]" among others).

Certainly, there were some late-era Catholics shows where a handful of slightly rearranged Pixies tunes began to creep in, but those were exceptions that proved the rule, and it's worth noting that all of that cross-pollination at full-band gigs pretty much ended once the Pixies reunited in 2004.

After that, the only time you'll likely hear a Pixies tune if the other members are not on hand to play along is at one of his solo gigs, where the entire back catalog is fair game, or at some special charity event like the one he did as a duo with Kim Shattuck long before her official gig with the band.

I think the new EPs do a surprisingly good job of showcasing a production style that resembles what Pixies records MIGHT have sounded like if one pretends that FBF's solo and Catholics career never existed, and that, as Gil posited, they have been a functioning unit for all this time, writing new material and playing it at shows -- just far away from earthlings' ears.

That's an aspect of his inspirational, imaginary conceptual scenario that no one seems to mention.

It's not just that the band never broke up. It's that under such a paradigm, THERE ARE NO Frank Black albums or tours, NO Bluefinger, Golem, Svn Fngrs or NonStopErotik, NO Grand Duchy, ONLY ONE Breeders record, NO Amps, NO Martinis, NO The Everbody, NO Undeclared soundtrack work, no drumming with Cracker, Nitzer Ebb or other bands.

Just Pixies.

Ponder that for a minute. It's weird, but intriguing.

New Pixies studio material does not sound like Christmass or The Golem, but I believe that if it did, it would be viewed widely the way the band Television is now by many of their devoted, longtime fans (and at least one of its founding members) -- not as a true BAND in the collaborative sense of the word, but instead merely a continuation of Tom Verlaine's solo career, just cannily augmented with enough of his most famous bandmates from years past to justify a higher asking price of promoters and in theory to sell more product (in whatever format).

If EP-1 and EP-2 were produced and engineered more like FBF's solo and/or Catholics LPs, they'd be instantly savaged by critics and by many folks on these boards for not taking the concept of "The Pixies" seriously enough. Much more so than the flack they're currently receiving for not living up to some folks' expectations of what a Pixies record should sound like in 2014.

Just my thoughts. I welcome yours. :)

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000