Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  15:13:14  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, i'm a fan of that one.
pretty much everything on ODDBALLS seems underrated. hate me, jumping beans, baby that's art, can i get a witness, at the end of the world.

love brown, love orange. sheeee-it.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  15:55:14  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, King and Queen is out? It's funny how differing opinions can be for huge fans of the same guy. Good stuff! Seems like the convo is heating up slightly around the boards lately. It was nothing but crickets since Duchy. That one kind of put everyones' fire out for awhile!

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  16:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
It was nothing but crickets since Duchy. That one kind of put everyones' fire out for awhile!

Shhhh!! We're trying to forget about it.
Go to Top of Page

teenager94
- FB Fan -

Ireland
42 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  23:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's just something missing with Dead man's curve on NSE, awesome live tho. On the DITS tour (London leg) he opened with Blast off, that was pretty cool too!!
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

More songs that were a zillion times better live: Shazeb Andleeb, The Snake, My Terrible Ways, Dead Man's Curve.

I like the studio Jane.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  15:56:30  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

To me that album isn't about the songs individually but about the album as a whole. There are way better songs on his other records, but it's like saying "I'm not sure about the first Ramones LP cause I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend isn't a very good song". It just works as a whole.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

And THAT, my friend, is why i'm anti-alphabet.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  16:04:11  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Yup, agreed. Two songs that really kicked my #$^#@ live were Hermaphroditos and Jane. I don't know if it's something about the songs' composition that makes them so much better live, if it's a poor album recording, or something else altogether but I haven't heard a recording of either song that I like anywhere near so much as I did at a show.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I've always pretty much hated Hermaphroditos in any incarnation - it just sets my teeth to grinding for some reason. On the other hand, I absolutely love the BLD cut of Jane, always have. It's nearly perfect in my opinion. I saw it live on the tour that led up to the SMYT release, I don't think it was a continuation of the BLD/DW tour, not sure what they were doing, just hittin' the road I guess. They played a couple SMYT cuts though, pre-release. I liked the live version just as much.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  17:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of the beauty of The Catholics is that they didn't tour to promote albums, really. They just... toured. All the time. Albums would come out sometimes while they were already in the middle of a tour.

There's an old 80s punk rock slogan (I think Greg Ginn said it) that goes "Don't tour to promote an album, put out an album to promote a tour". And that's basically what Frank Black and the Catholics did.

They were a cool band them Catholics.

Edited by - Jason on 07/26/2012 03:42:21
Go to Top of Page

Mismatched Sasquatch
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  08:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Will Happiness Find Me Again

Never see this tune get any love. I think it's great...."She picked up the phone...."

----------
Could I stay just for awhile?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  08:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It got some love in another thread. Some guy included it in his film.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  05:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build High
Two Spaces
Elijah
Stars
Wild Son
And Rocket USA brings it back

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  05:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wild Son is amazing. Should be included on 03 - 13.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  05:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stars is a good shout too! Think that was my favourite Golem song upon first listen.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000