Page: of 5

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  16:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I came across this information on the web:
GRAND DUCHY debuts this weekend on LOPSIDED WORLD OF L-Violet Clark & Charles Thompson (Frank Black Francis) from new "Let The People Speak"

Apparently, this will be streaming at indie1031.com at 2 p.m. EST.

-Oddball

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  16:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool!!
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  08:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm, anyone know when we can expect to hear material from the Black Francis/ Reid Paley collaboration?

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  15:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone get a chance to hear this?

Edited by - windupbird on 03/05/2011 15:12:43
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  18:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did. If I am not mistaken, the show might be archived and available for future listening at the website mentioned above. The track played, called "White Out", at least in my opinion, is more synthesizer-based than most of the tracks on the first Grand Duchy album. Violet is on vocals. The drums sounded "real"...maybe Jason Carter as opposed to a drum machine? Perhaps Violet or Charles could confirm.

I won't pass judgment on "Let the People Speak" after hearing just one track. I will say that I am more a fan of the live-to-2-track recording used on the Frank Black and the Catholics releases, and less a fan of synthesizers, hence my comment above, longing for the Paley/Francis collaboration that will hopefully soon see the light of day. Bring on the minor chords!

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  03:14:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this still streaming?
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  22:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the first rtack on the album is "The Lopsided World of L" a tribute to the radio show?
Has anyone any information?
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  20:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so was this record scrapped or something

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  11:49:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's coming out in the new year I think. New single out in October called Silver Boys, they are making a video for it. There's going to be three versions with remixes and stuff, some done by Ding Archer who toured with BF in 2007. Updates are being posted on twitter @GrandDuchyMusic
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  14:00:00  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. I forgot about this. Heh. I'm getting old. Oh anticipation's thrill, where have you gone.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  04:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting photo available at the link below too:

http://blackfrancis.net/silver-boys/

Black Francis stopped in to Brooklyn’s FACTORY a couple weeks back to lend himself to the making of Grand Duchy’s yet-to-be-released music video for the song “Silver Boys” from their also yet-to-be-released album “Let The People Speak.” No word yet on a release date for either the album or the video but we anticipate seeing them early in the new year.

"I had finally reached bedrock, and was dangerously addicted to Grand Duchy. Luckily Dean checked me in to the Petits Fours Clinic"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  05:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha I saw that on his Facebook a few weeks ago and was wondering what the hell it was about. I assumed it was some strange tv show.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  12:12:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can hear Silver Boys here they just tweeted

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-download-grand-duchys-energetic-silver-boys-20120119

Sounds good, but if that's the best song on the album I wont be rushing out to buy it (mostly because I can't afford to)

Gay 80s music, nothing new. I hope the album is all like this.

Violet has this electro things going on but in the last GD album there was too much guitary stuff, I think Frank didn't want the album to be too dancy, it's always a gamble. But i think there should be more emphasis on synthy stuff, it could work. This works, but not THAT well IMO, it still sounds quite amateurish.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  13:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how that Black Francis song writing session is coming along? The guitar stuff and real drums (as opposed to drum loops) on Petits Fours made that album enjoyable. I am sure people will enjoy this new album, but the electro feel of this track and "White Out" seems somehow uncreative and forced. I should hold off on any judgements though until the entire album comes out, in fairness to the band and its audience.

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  06:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The press release is laughably pretentious. Still, I enjoyed the last record, so I'm looking forward to this one.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  06:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sigh... yuck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  07:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought Grand Duchy came off as pretentious. I liked the first album though and maintain that Emersinde could have been a classic had the autotune voice-over been done a bit better. Still a class song.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  09:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That song is puke.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  12:45:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not entirely disagreeing with the above comments.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  14:45:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't typically check the GD threads much because I don't care for GD really at all. But this popped up again and I just went and checked out that song.

With all due respect... What. Was. That.

I'm one of the six people that love Jethro Tull through about 1978 or so. This reminds me of the way Ian Anderson completely went off the rails in the '80s. I mean like major derailment of a toxic chemical train that forces the evacuation of a major urban area.

Yeesh.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  00:33:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This tweet that Frank made about writing some more songs a month ago. I get the feeling that there will be an album to follow this later in the year. i think this is mainly Violet's project and suspect that perhaps he might not be that into it, but willing to give it a go anyway. You know what I mean?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  11:23:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's Violet's vocals that has me hooked.

My little girl listened to it with me too and 24 hours later I still hear her singing it. I like.

Get in with the Aphex Twin, bF.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  11:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If BF incorporated some Aphex Twin ambience / earfuckery then I'd be delighted. Don't think Silver Boys achieves either though.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  11:55:12  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True. The end with the stop/starty bit (4:28+) reminded me of Window Licker. You know what I mean. I love effects like that.

Edited by - fbc on 01/22/2012 11:57:26
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  15:55:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Synth effects are pretty basic and nothing special, as are the vokes.

This often happens with indie/dance crossovers. It just doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  00:39:48  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but I can like the "sil-ver boyyyys, sil-ver girrrrls" harmony part though, yeah? Ah, please?!! I'm not after pop perfection just something to put on in the mornings while I wait for the kettle to boil. I still have the chorus in my head but I'll duck it down the loo and sing it down there.

i like neil young's trans. save me.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  05:08:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Neil Young's Trans is way better than this. That record could have been really great, if he didn't feel obliged to mess with the whole idea of making eletronic music. What's the deal with Little Thing Called Love and Lice An Inca on that record?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  05:39:37  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Trans is way better than this. Aphex Twin, Grand Duchy is not."

but it's not a competition :)

I've got Reason's RPG-8 Arpeggiator hooked up to my synth. D'you wanna hear some really shitty music??? ;D
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  07:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To give Silver Boys some credit, I agree that the chorus is catchy. In saying that though loads of meh songs on the radio are catchy. More to my chagrin is BF's singing, I know his voice is a bit rough but it sounds too whiney here. Dislike that guitar bit near the end too, I've heard it before somewhere but can't place it.

I'm gonna stop complaining and listen to Leonard Cohen's new album.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  11:26:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

but I can like the "sil-ver boyyyys, sil-ver girrrrls" harmony part though, yeah? Ah, please?!!

Och go on then.

This is more my idea of melodic indie synth rock though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDDvei7NOg
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  12:04:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

but it's not a competition :)

In a way it is

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  21:44:04  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We both know Teenager of the Year won that one a long time ago.

I want me some of that Frank Black too that drove us all to sign up to a fan forum but... I fear for the new Pixies disc if rumours are true.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  21:51:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, that's true!!! TOTY FTW, although it's not MY winner....

And yes, I want that FB back too

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  22:01:16  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know, Bill, I know. Come here, have a hug. He's gone but not forgotten. Just try to remember the happy times :)

Just us wait. You know through what some regard as mediocre will rise the most epic sound from the man. I don't know when but just saying it could even make it happen.

Edited by - fbc on 01/23/2012 22:04:49
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  03:17:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PIxies disc? Rumours?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  05:32:11  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rumours by Fleetwood Mac or Silver Boy by GD?? :p

Just something Helmut said, pot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000