Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  06:10:42  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He got it all mixed up. Silver Boys IS a Pixies demo.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  08:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tiny Mix Tapes - Grand Duchy (Black Francis + wife) release latest on Sonic Unyon, talk dirty.

Exclaim! - Frank Black's Grand Duchy Announce Sophomore Album.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  09:04:08  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first mention of strap-ons and that disc is off!!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  03:22:17  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Silver Boys" video premiering on Spin.com on Monday!-Violet posted on Facebook : )

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  06:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did I understand the articles above correctly? Violet wrote all of the songs?

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  22:57:25  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should go to specsavers

No, there's no mention of Violet writing all the songs.

Are you referring to the "..featuring the Pixies frontman with his fabulous wife Violet Clark at the helm" part?

Edited by - fbc on 01/29/2012 09:19:39
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  03:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the line that caught my attention: ...it’s also about Warhol, according to Grand Duchy. Clark, who wrote the tracks whilst Black/Francis/uggggh whatever the hell that dude’s name was on tour with the Pixies...

Also, with FB mentioning learning to be "submissive" with this album, it makes me wonder if he was involved in the writing process at all this time around.

-Oddball

Edited by - oddball on 01/29/2012 03:07:22
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  03:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's only Violet on the cover too..
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  08:54:56  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry oddball I completely missed that part. I scanned the articles a few times too. Gosh that's worrying. Not the violet part but my eyes!

About the songwriting process, I know chord progressions are easily repeated because we have so many decades,centuries worth of songs already written and some get locked in our subconcious, but Silver Boys chords in parts do have that fb feel to them. I mean they fit nicely into the progressions the man has written in his time. It'll be nice to have the answer to your wondering.

If Violet did write LTPS, she learned from one of the best. I mean this as a compliment.

Edited by - fbc on 01/29/2012 09:43:57
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  09:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey fbc, no worries. I'm a linguist, and if I didn't pick up on things like that, I would be worried.

It will be interesting to see what FB's role was in putting together this album, which seems to be a long time in the making.

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  03:31:09  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

"Silver Boys" video premiering on Spin.com on Monday!-Violet posted on Facebook : )

Could you post a link of the video when you have one please, punk? I'm not on facebook and I've just tried searching Spin but had no joy finding it.

By the way I'm still enjoying Silver Boys one week later. Listening to Fort Wayne at the moment. Still as good as the day I first heard it.
Go to Top of Page

KLen6677
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  06:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all, I've heard this entire record for media purposes and I must say I'm really impressed with it (I was researching it and that's how I came across this thread). I enjoyed the first Grand Duchy record but I actually think this one is better.

Nothing else on it really sounds like "Silver Boys." Overall it feels like a slightly darker, more challenging album than the first but still has the pop/electro elements. Violet is at the forefront and her vocals leave more of an impact on this one. She definitely sounds more confident. FB takes the lead on a handful of tunes and his actually tend to be more subdued (there are a couple really spacey numbers that grow on you). Each track has a radio announcer type guy making comments at the end which sometimes relate to the song and other times are a bit nonsensical (this seemed a bit jarring at first but it actually works to tie all the songs together nicely).

Definitely a release to look forward to, in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  12:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6010 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  23:57:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okay, now I'm listening!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  09:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the music video has 'just been released' but I can't see it, just this behind the scenes clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhwBHrpNDY
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  09:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found it! http://www.spin.com/articles/frank-black-duo-grand-duchy-debut-warhol-infused-silver-boys-video
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  12:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a fun video. Good to see Jason and Ding involved.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  03:50:35  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, especially Ding. He was great during the tour and the itunes(?) session.

Isn't that Reid Paley dancing shirtless?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  08:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack FM - Pixies Frontman Frank Black Preps For April Release Of 2nd Grand Duchy Album.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  10:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked like Paley to me too.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  12:53:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6010 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  00:12:30  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't like it...(yet?)

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  09:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quite like the song, particularly the chorus. Having said that, if it didn't involve FB it would probably make no impression on me whatsoever.

The video I don't like at all. It looks very dated and it makes me cringe involuntarily.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  08:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on the surface it feels like they are joining the electro pop husband/wife fad(?) a la handsome furs and the kills; which based on petits fours and one listening of silver boys wouldnt be a bad thing. sadly though they would finish last in a race with their counterparts (or at least the 2 i mentioned) IMO. cant wait for the release of LTPS, i'm sure there will be a gem or 2, there always is......

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  08:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice. i raved about these guys years ago after i saw them open up for franz ferdinand.....

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by fbc

but I can like the "sil-ver boyyyys, sil-ver girrrrls" harmony part though, yeah? Ah, please?!!

Och go on then.

This is more my idea of melodic indie synth rock though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDDvei7NOg

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Kills are hardly electro pop are they? Blues-pop if anything (quite fond of the band but can't identify much of a similarity with GD other than the drum machines).
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  00:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
klenn6677, thanks for the hopeful review

fbc, I appreciate your optimism :)

bill, well said "Don't like it...(yet?)"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  01:26:24  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
heh, thanks. you can buy me the album and I'll listen to it for you ;)
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  04:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mxdwn.com - Grand Duchy Announce New Album Let the People Speak for April 2012 Release.

Fuse Friday Q&A: Grand Duchy’s Frank Black & Violet Clark.

Edited by - Carl on 04/01/2012 03:01:57
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  06:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still think the whole things reeks of pretentiousness.

If anyone's interested there's a new vlog up (it features Joe Santiago and his bike).
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  08:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After hearing 'Shady' and 'Silver Boys' on youtube I don't know if I'm going to bother buying this. It just sounds, well... shite.

No wait, that sounds too harsh for a Frank Black website. It sounds... not good. At all.

My girlfriend often jokes that even if FB released footage of himself asleep sitting in a chair for 90 minutes I'd buy it and claim it's the best, most fascinating thing ever. I think I actually would rather buy that.

I'm going to listen to Show Me Your Tears now.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  08:57:51  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried White Out, stu? It's less bad.
And yeah, I'm not going to buy the album either.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  09:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, not yet. I'll give it a listen though.

Despite what I just posted I think I will buy this, just to add to the collection really. It seems it takes longer for me to buy his releases these days though.

I think he's just involved in releasing so much music that I can't keep up. I did like the first Grand Duchy record but since then I've still not really listened to Nonstoperotik and Paley & Francis as much as I would have liked. Plus we've had The Golem (which I thought was excellent by the way). Had I time to digest those I might have been ready for something really different sounding for Charles, as Let The People Speak seems like it will be.

I guess like anything else it takes time.

Also, it seems like this is mostly Violet's project so I guess it's not exactly fair to stand it up against classic Frank Black albums and be disappointed. It's different.

White Out isn't too bad actually.

"The arc of triumph"

Edited by - pixiestu on 04/03/2012 09:28:12
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  15:05:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are you complaining about? He released an album about half a year ago and as far as I know he is still writing stuff and will probably release something else non grand duchy before the end of the year. You can't say he doesn't put the effort in. I predict that his next non solo album will be his best since Bluefinger. And as for Grand Duchy new album thing- I really love the whole retro 80s synth thing, but I don't think it cuts the mustard a lot of time. there is a plethora of much better new bands releasing this kind of music right now to more than satisfy my secret passion. White Out is a commendable effort though and stands out
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  02:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I'm not complaining about anything, just not keen on some of the new Grand Duchy songs. That's all.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000