-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Grand Duchy, Let the People Speak debut this wknd

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oddball Posted - 03/03/2011 : 16:01:20
Hi All,

I came across this information on the web:
GRAND DUCHY debuts this weekend on LOPSIDED WORLD OF L-Violet Clark & Charles Thompson (Frank Black Francis) from new "Let The People Speak"

Apparently, this will be streaming at indie1031.com at 2 p.m. EST.

-Oddball
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jason Posted - 10/15/2013 : 13:49:56
"Geode" sounds like a great song that Prince wrote for one of his ingenues. It's my fave from the album.

I've never heard her mention it, but I do wonder if Prince isn't a conscious influence on Violet. Her cover of Aerial Pink's "She's My Girl" (it's the B-side of her new single) totally transforms the original's Joe Meek mistiness into hard and loud Paisley Park party-funk. It's really good.

Grand Duchy are underrated as heck.
lucmove Posted - 10/14/2013 : 19:37:15
I just listened to this album for the second time, the first one was as soon as it was released. I had actually forgotten what it was like.

I think it's a really good album... thirty years late. Imagine it being released in 1983, it would have been a jewel. Now, it's hard not to dismiss it. Still, there are some pretty good songs and sounds in it if you manage to get over how passé it seems. It definitely deserves a few more auditions.

Of course, that DJ speaking at the end of every track is one of the most hideous things I've ever heard in music, and yes, I'm counting Bon Jovi. I think I am going to edit each track in Audacity and remove that annoyance, then reserve this album for some repeated listening in the future. I am looking forward to it.

matto Posted - 03/18/2013 : 11:04:15
World Radio Premiere- *Violet Clark "Interesting Parties"

http://jonathanlradio.blogspot.com/
*APRIL 6 (2013) *not aired yet
THE "SHE SHOW-VOLUME 3"
All women artists -SPECIAL EDITION

*Nina Hagen "Berlin" (2012 reissue-originally 1993), *Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Sacrilege" (f/ Karen O), *Shirley Levi "Office In The Sky", (World Radio Premiere- *Ruby "Rain" (f/ Leslie Rankin), IAMEVE "Throw Me A Line" (replay), *Blue Flower Project "Rain", *Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside "Party Kids", *Cold Specks "Holland" (f/ Al Spx), *Claire Hamill "The Lily Field", *Ummagma "Kiev" (f/ Shauna McLarnon), (World Radio Premiere- *Concrete Blonde "Rosalie" (f/ Johnette Napolitano), Portishead "Only You" (1998 Classic), *Cora Lee "Rock 'n' Roll Megastar", Polly Scattergood "Wanderlust" (replay), (World Radio Premiere- *Violet Clark "Interesting Parties", *Tonya Watts "El Cerrito Place", *Anoxia f/ Crystal Jordan "Justify", *Brooke Waggoner "Rumble", JOAN JETT SONG OF THE WEEK: The Runaways "Black Leather" (1979), Doro Pesch "Engel" (replay), *Sofia Talvik f/ Bernard Butler (Suede) "It's Just Love" (2007), *Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra "Berlin", Stereo3 f/ Paula Jean Brown "Mercy" (replay), (World Radio Premiere- *Annabelle Lord-Patey "13" (Big Star cover), (World Radio Premiere- *Becky Cooke w/ Dean Heslop "The House Of The Rising Sun" (live club version), *BentCousin "I Think I like Your Girlfriend More Than You" (f/ Amelia), *The Pale Faces "No More Kisses" (f/ Janice), *Hunter Valentine "Little Curse (Shit Happens)"

sminki pinki
The Maharal Posted - 11/30/2012 : 07:00:29
Listening to this for the first time now (I usually listen to anything BF-related as soon as it's released, so note the apprehension). Only a few songs in but it's already a chore and the radio bits with Jonathan L in particular are fucking awful, really cringey shit. Had high hopes for John Frum but it peters out halfway through.

Listening to Annie Bliss now and it's alright, kind of a hybrid of Neil Young's Dead Man and something Tom Waits would do.
hammerhands Posted - 11/03/2012 : 23:02:16
Something on this weekend, maybe Wednesday too, non-album tracks included.

I'm still not sure how to listen to this or download it, or what time it's on.
http://www.jlradio.com

@GrandDuchyMusic: Today and tomorrow you can here Jonathan L's radio program "The Lopsided World of L" obsess about all things Duchy. Check for times.
Jason Posted - 05/11/2012 : 16:04:18
I couldn't hang with the haters of the first Grand Duchy album and I can't hang with them on this new album, either. I think "Let the People Speak" is really cool and entertaining.

Favorite song on these early listens: "Geode", written and sung by Violet. It's very melodic and dark in a sexy way.
Carl Posted - 05/11/2012 : 02:25:53
Spinner - Black Francis and Violet Clark Q&A: 'Bored' of the Pixies & Grand Duchy's Latest.
Jason Posted - 05/10/2012 : 10:44:43
Got the CD today. Haven't played it, yet (it's coming, looking forward to it).

A couple of notes about the three songs most of us have heard already (ie. the three songs for which the band's made videos):

Writing credits for "Silver Boys" are Black Francis for lyrics and Justin Warfield for music.
Black Francis has sole writing credit for "Shady" (he also plays bass, as well as guitar, on it)
Violet Clark has sole writing credit for "White Out"

Violet Clark also has sole producer credit for the whole thing.
1965 Posted - 05/08/2012 : 05:35:42
Where Is John Frum? = I like.

I have the key to #902
Jason Posted - 05/07/2012 : 17:35:55
I liked the Grand Duchy post. I like it when artists lash out at critics. It may turn some people off, but you can't deny that it's honest and I dig honesty. That's a rare thing these days.

On the other hand, I also respect it when artists ignore their critics.

Whatever they want to do is fine. I don't ask anything of anyone.

(I don't care at all about Pitchfork and don't read it, but that review actually made me more curious to hear the album.)

Bottom line: Right after I read that post (just now, posted here, I didn't see it originally on Facebook), I bought "Let the People Speak" new on CD at Amazon. I was putting it off because... I don't know why. But I enjoyed that post and it made me quit sleeping.
Ziggy Posted - 05/03/2012 : 05:28:42
Doubtful. I think Violet mentioned it the responses beneath the post that he was 'more laid back' about it.
The Maharal Posted - 05/03/2012 : 04:05:21
The intro to that says BF wrote the silly response to Pitchfork. I presume/hope that's a mistake.
Carl Posted - 05/03/2012 : 01:27:10
Another interview:

Stereogum - Progress Report: Frank Black.
The Champ Posted - 04/30/2012 : 03:16:07
I was actually going to post a sample of this interview here, but decided against it as the album is so bad that it would be stating the obvious and unnecessarily cruel. The problem with bashing this Cohen guy is that his review is accurate enough. This album is terrible, it is easily the worst thing FB has ever done or been remotely attached to.

To bombard an insignificant music journalist who doesn't like your bad music with hate mail is idiotic (especially if it is organized by a thin skinned musician). Musicians should seriously just stop reading music reviews, good and bad, as it hurts the writing process substantially if you can't handle it. In this case, Violet can't.

I honestly hope FB runs far, far away from VC in a musical sense if this is her attitude. It makes him look bad be associated with this. He is far above this, as his life long trek around the globe numerous times proves.

But yes, Pitchfork is a total waste of time. The site defines pretentiousness and I don't read it, and neither should VC. Let it go.
Carl Posted - 04/28/2012 : 08:57:37
mxdwn.com - Grand Duchy- Let the People Speak.
billgoodman Posted - 04/27/2012 : 23:31:47
seconded

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Brank_Flack Posted - 04/27/2012 : 13:43:53
It's not like its just pitchfork that doesn't like the album - it doesn't really seem like anybody does. Plus, its silly to argue that the only reason it got a bad review was because it didn't sound like the Pixies. Dog in the Sand got good reviews and it didn't sound like the Pixies. I think what most reviewers are saying is not "its bad because it doesn't sound like the Pixies", but "its bad because its bad". Plus, if they're going to shit on him for being uncival calling him a douche bag is a bad strategy.
hammerhands Posted - 04/27/2012 : 13:05:52
Jonathan L sounds like Casey Kasem.

Title wasn't "The L-Word".
Jefrey Posted - 04/27/2012 : 09:08:05
I like the new Grand Duchy. Much better than the last one. Could do without the DJ interloods that take me out of the music, but I really like every song but "Silver Boys" which ironically kept me from listening to the album till today.

Really good for listening to at work.

Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre <-- yeah, what he said.
pot Posted - 04/27/2012 : 04:50:12
Wotsit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otAycCNmA28&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
Cheesus Posted - 04/27/2012 : 03:41:32
As far as I'm concerned, any effort to rail on those jackoffs at Pitchfork is fine by me. It's such a reprehensible rag. And sadly, the AVClub seems to be following their douchery like a dog to another's anus. Or maybe like the human centepede.

However, at being upset with comparisons to the Pixies, it seems thin skinned. I don't think I've read any album review in any magazine for any artist that could just concentrate on the truth of "This album succeeds/fails FOR ME on its own merits" instead of dragging into a previous album or pining for some mis-placed glory from one of the artist's former bands. They're mentally incapable of NOT mentioning "Pixies" in a FB review any more than they can resist "Nirvana" in a Foo Fighters review. Or in the case of Cohen here, another fucking band (thanks; we never would have understood what DJ interludes meant unless you brought up Songs For The Deaf. We're stupid, you see).

Album reviews should be seen (and ignored!) for the shit sandwiches they are.
pot Posted - 04/26/2012 : 17:02:08
Maybe she wanted the people to speak out? maybe the reviewer is also a person and exercising his right to free speech. Either way it wasn't very clever, not because I don't think she was right to say those things, but because it always make you look worse when someone says something bad about you and you react to it. I know from my own experience at getting a bad rap on facebook about that, which is largely why I no longer go there.

I pointed out in that thread that it can sometimes go in your favour when you get a really bad review because it makes people more curious about, to see how bad it supposedly is, and often if it turns out that (if you like it) the fact that your expectations were lowered can alter your perception more favourably. I had low expectations of it after I heard Silver Boys, but it turned out that I actually liked it. I tried to listen to it and imagine that it was an album by some new alternative band somewhere and in that context it did alright in my mind. I don't know what people were expecting from it, and maybe it was all dragged out too long, but in the end I think they pulled off a decent album with some memorable tracks. In between what Frank does himself it was worth having, and I have no complaints about it.

It's not easy to make music that's good, and if you make an album that is perhaps not epic but still good then you should still at least appreciate the effort

p.s. I haven't read this terrible review and really don't care. I don't really ever read reviews of albums anymore, who actually does or needs to there days when you can just go on the internet and listen to it for free anyway?
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/26/2012 : 12:21:47
It's a rough review, but come on now. GD sounded like Mid 70s Ian Anderson in that FB post. I think the album is pretty terrible myself. I wouldn't have reviewed it in such harsh terms, but I don't know about soliciting a "rip him a new one" campaign. Considering they must have deleted the post, I'm starting to think it was maybe a drunk post or something that they thought better of the next morning, who knows.

I'm sure it stings like hell to read such a poor review of your work, but if you put yourself out there, particularly with such a stretch of an album, you should be prepared for some backlash.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Active Duck Posted - 04/26/2012 : 11:16:39
Can't get my head around what that facebook post hoped to achieve. I haven't read the pitchfork review but this makes me cringe.
billgoodman Posted - 04/26/2012 : 05:11:41
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

I can understand someone being upset by a bad review, but it's a bit of a pathetic response really.

apparently GD deleted their post.

billgoodman Posted - 04/26/2012 : 05:08:26
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Nasty = publicity + record sales

Yeah, controversy could do that. I can see...but I don't think anyone is going to pick up this story. The post by GD isn't smart, isn't funny like the post of Airborne Toxic Event they quoted . To me, it makes GD look like bad sports. The can't stand above a bad review. Frank has been getting unfair and bad reviews for years. It's no big deal for us, his fanbase.

Carl Posted - 04/26/2012 : 00:04:29
The Quietus - Grandy Duchy's Frank Black & Violet Clark Interviewed.
Ziggy Posted - 04/25/2012 : 22:13:52
I can understand someone being upset by a bad review, but it's a bit of a pathetic response really.
BLT Posted - 04/25/2012 : 13:11:18
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Asking fans to bombard someone's inbox with emails "ripping him a new one" is pretty lame.

Looking on the bright side of it, they could've published his street address with a link to an anthrax distributor.
pot Posted - 04/25/2012 : 11:29:17
Nasty = publicity + record sales
billgoodman Posted - 04/25/2012 : 11:04:54
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Asking fans to bombard someone's inbox with emails "ripping him a new one" is pretty lame.

It's getting nasty. I think they shouldn't do this
That review is two weeks old btw. Why react now?

pot Posted - 04/25/2012 : 10:49:38
I would, but they wouldn't let me do the album cover so unfortunately at this time...
The Maharal Posted - 04/25/2012 : 10:42:21
matto Posted - 04/25/2012 : 08:45:52
awesome

sminki pinki
Ziggy Posted - 04/25/2012 : 07:04:25
From Facebook:

Friends and Citizens,

Though we, Grand Duchy, consider ourselves free artists and as such, to be above criticism, it has come to our attention that Ian Cohen, the vitriolic, smug, angry word-juggler over at Pitchfork, has skewered our new record, "Let The People Speak" in a manner that is above and beyond the call of duty. This has been brought to our attention many times in the past several days by concerned friends and bewildered fans. You can read the review here:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16488-grand-duchy-let-the-people-speak/

We understand that Pitchfork, as an online music zine competing with countless other online music zines and blogs, relies on an aggressive, edgy approach to reviewing albums to keep their readership intrigued. Many reviews borderline on absurd in their outright contempt for the albums/bands they examine --everyone loves a train wreck. Its like a soap opera versus a documentary; we're tuning in to see drama, not facts.

But as we began to research this man, Ian Cohen's, particular track record as a reviewer of music, it seems that he has a long history of trashing really great records by bands with integrity who, by all other accounts, are connecting positively with fans and TRUE critics of music (ie those people who actually review music because they LIKE music, and who try to be objective and intelligent in their wording, rather than cruel and insidious for the sheer infamy and spite of it). Basically, he's a complete douche.

The group Toxic Airborne Event went so far as to write an "Open Letter To Pitchfork" refuting Ian Cohen's 1.6 out of 10 review of their record. You can read that amusing and pointed rebuttal here:

http://www.iguessimfloating.net/2008/09/open-letter-to-pitchfork-by-airborne.html

It seems to be a sticking point for some reviewers, that Grand Duchy is not the Pixies. Or likewise, at times, it seems to be a happy day when we DO get closer to sounding like the Pixies. While we have sympathy for that tendency to want to make those comparisons, and to seek a Pixie-fix....we respectfully point out that nothing is the Pixies but the Pixies, and at last look, the last Pixies record came out in the early 90s. The senseless bitterness towards the unrealized dreams of experiencing a classic Pixie-gasm through our record, embodied in Mr. Cohen's review of "Let The People Speak," does not, therefore, in our view, help a reader get any closer to understanding what Grand Duchy IS. Only what it is NOT (The Pixies).

We could have told you that.

The impotent, futile and ridiculous nature of Ian Cohen's review has been voiced eloquently by this blogger:

http://altrockchick.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/music-review-let-the-people-speak-by-grand-duchy/

and this one:

http://kyprophet.com/2012/04/when-we-talk-about-frank-black/

This seems, to us, a great time to put the meaning of our album's title into practice. Let The People Speak: We're asking you to either post a comment on the Pitchfork review refuting the judgement of Mr. Cohen re: our record, or to bombard send Mr. Cohen a private email ripping him a new one, here:

icohen017@gmail.com

Or better yet, do both!

Don't let this douchebag downer have the last word. If you like the record, go ahead and speak up.

Yours warmly,
GD

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000