Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  17:53:43  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well the melkweg album is my first ever digital purchase.
simply don't like the idea of buying tracks as lossy mp3 quality, but found this record for NZ$10.99, which is virtually free, so had to try it out.
would preferred to have it available as flac, but nevermind.
listening now and it does sound very good.
while having the entire 2 hour and 25 mins concert would have been awesome, and a few less pixies songs would be preferable, it is a nifty little release.

i'll just put together 3 tracks which I have in FM broadcast quality from this gig that were not released on the cd (or bonus digital tracks with the vinyl) and i'll upload them soon. kid of bonus bonus tracks.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  18:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone buy/acquire Melkweg 2001 on vinyl??

Actually I listened to the 40-song boot of this last night - it is an awesome show. Can't understand why the whole set [or at least more of it] is not available thru official channels..

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  15:09:04  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

http://thebureaurecords.com/news.html
09 July

We're busy at The Bureau putting the finishing touches on the Frank Black & the Catholics boxed set, which will be completed early next year. It has been a long time in the making but this collection is really taking shape. The complete FB&theC's collection will include 120 remastered tracks and be available on CD, vinyl and digital (with the vinyl edition including a whopping 13 vinyl LP's). As usual, more information forthcoming.

sminki pinki

YESSSSSSS!!!! Hey Matto, can you resolve a question for us or is it still top secret? Will the Vinyl Box set be the original albums as issued plus extras or will it be alphabetical or some other alternate order? (please be original albums!)

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/10/2012 15:09:41
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  04:11:39  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've always heard it would be alphabetical. I have no idea how they came up with 120 songs though, someone posted a list earlier in this thread and there were 109 songs on it.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  04:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the alphabetical thing was started here. I've always considered it a bit ludicrous to be honest.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  12:53:43  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

I have no connection with anyone. I just read the website is all.

sminki pinki

Sorry, my bust. I guess I should have read it closer :P There's no excuse for ignorance in the internet age!

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  16:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I thought the alphabetical thing was started here. I've always considered it a bit ludicrous to be honest.

yeah, pretty sure that was wishful speculation by some weird board member.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  05:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that The Bureau and the Black Francis Facebook pages have hinted a few times that the box set will be in alphabetical order, but I'm not 100% sure.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  15:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that... sounds...ludicrous. why would anyone ever arrange them alphabetically? on vinyl, no less? absurd.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  13:49:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

that... sounds...ludicrous. why would anyone ever arrange them alphabetically? on vinyl, no less? absurd.

If it turns out to be alphabetical I won't be picking it up, period.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  07:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Facebook post from earlier this year hints that it's alphabetical:

Frank Black & the Catholics box set coming right along. There will definitely be vinyl. Lots of vinyl. 13 vinyl LP's to be exact. That's 26 sides. A-Z (0-9)... -the bureaucrat

"A-Z (0-9)" means, I suppose that it starts with "All My Ghosts" and ends with "85 Weeks".

I LOVE the alphabetical idea, myself. I think it's a really cool, eccentric idea and very "Frank".

Edited by - Jason on 07/15/2012 07:53:04
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  14:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hrumph

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  17:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why remaster? All albums sound great.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  17:17:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weren't they all recorded on a 2 track or something with no production? What therefore is the point in remastering?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  18:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remastering is necessary here.

Technically, all compilations and box sets that mix up songs from several different sources are "remasters". The recordings are remastered so that tracks from different albums sound sonically even with each other, in terms of their peak levels.

Edited by - Jason on 07/15/2012 19:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  04:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remastering might improve the sound quality of albums like BLD/DW, but also (like Jason said) there's a need for the albums to be (more or less) on par with each other in perceived loudness. Albums which were never released on vinyl (if there are any) will need format-specific mastering as well.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  05:22:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fair dos. I think the alphabetical idea is lame though. It's like when you choose to play 'all tracks' on your iPod and it lists them all in alphabetical order. There's something I don't like about it, I feel songs should be played in either a random order or in the order they were meant to be played on the album.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  06:40:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Weren't they all recorded on a 2 track or something with no production? What therefore is the point in remastering?

no production?

Don't get me wrong, I do get your point. But most of the Catholics stuff is heavily produced in terms of the amount of players, different types of instruments and stuff. Remixing would be dumb (and not even really possible with two tracks) though.

And Jason's right. You can even remaster a lo-fi record for that matter.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  14:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if it's going to be in alphabetical order i almost don't see the point in buying it. i'm an albums guy. all of those records are unique in their own right and should be preserved as such. alphabetical seems like something for ipods, not the entirety of a band's vinyl output.

i'm probably just preaching to the choir here.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  21:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Assuming the alphabetical rumor isn't just a simple misconstruance (which it is), I'm sure Mr. Thompson will act according to his fan's wishes on such a basic matter.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  05:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only the first Catholics album should be in alphabetical order.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  14:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever the box set is, I accept it. They've been working on it a long time (2-3 years? Longer?). I have a feeling it'll be an impressive package.

Edited by - Jason on 07/17/2012 14:57:16
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  21:26:25  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what she said

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  07:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will try to get to the bottom of this... be back.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  12:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this isn't the best place to put this information, but at least it's some what Catholics related.

Polaris is going to play a show in LA on August 28th as part of an Adventures of Pete & Pete reunion event (it is apparently the first ever Polaris show, even though I seem to remember them opening for Frank at one point? Was that Miracle Legion?)
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2012/07/la-hosts-an-awesome-sounding-pete-38-pete-reunion/1#.UAcyO6DdX6k

I hope someone gets some of it on tape, I'd love to see and hear Scott and Dave play again.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  13:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This probably merits a new thread, please feel free, I agree that it would be great to have this recorded. And I don't know of any Polaris opening, but I believe Miracle Legion did.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  23:53:44  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I will try to get to the bottom of this... be back.

ah, will be good to have some insider info on this.
seems a weird concept to me.
i'm also a big fan of albums. thats the reason i think best of's don't work particularly well. the songs were meant to be heard in the context of their original album, not all messed up.
if frank did release this alphabetically, i'd probably just put them back in their correct order. as long as he doesn't do some weird segue/fading thing to ruin it for me.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  07:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

This Facebook post from earlier this year hints that it's alphabetical:

Frank Black & the Catholics box set coming right along. There will definitely be vinyl. Lots of vinyl. 13 vinyl LP's to be exact. That's 26 sides. A-Z (0-9)... -the bureaucrat

"A-Z (0-9)" means, I suppose that it starts with "All My Ghosts" and ends with "85 Weeks".

I LOVE the alphabetical idea, myself. I think it's a really cool, eccentric idea and very "Frank".

if the alphabetical rumour originated from that facebook post, i think the logic is incorrect - A-Z, to me, refers to the 26 sides of the vinyl. normally, on one record, you'd have A and B sides - they have continued this through the 26 vinyl sides, going up to Z.
at least that's my interpretation.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  07:33:23  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... but then another comment on that same FB post said:
"get this, alphabetically, the first track of the entire compilation just so happens to be the first track from the first catholics album, All My Ghosts. Good way to kick things off... -the bureaucrat"

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  11:02:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The word is that the boxset itself will be alphabetical; however, purists who believe in the album as a piece of art unto itself will be happy to know that the albums have also been remastered individually and will also be available. FB is on record as saying that the album has always been an artificial format, so that is no surprise to see him bid farewell in this way. Still, I think that as long as you're physically confined by having CDs, you have an album whether you like it or not, a collection of songs that will be listened to together. The album is only artificial when you go digital.

Formats, as has been stated previously, will be CD, vinyl, and a 10 GB USB stick with some extra features on it. It seems like the best option would be to release the USB stick in alphabetical and release the CD boxset in the album format but that isn't the plan so far. I'm going to try to get a track or two to compare, I think we can agree that DITS/BLD will be the two where the biggest opportunity for mastering improvement is present.

I'd love to have vinyl, actually even though it would be my first vinyl purchase ever and I'd have to buy a turntable to go with it.

Expect it spring 2013.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  11:36:11  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You've never ever bought a vinyl record?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  13:43:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable. This is hands down the biggest disappointment I've ever had in regards to anything Frank. Jesus, I've been looking forward to the vinyl boxset forever now, been talking about it with friends, etc. No way, no way in hell will I buy this alphabet thing. What a crock. I guess I'll resume my quest to complete my collection and pay out my ass for used and overpriced catholics records on ebay.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  14:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Unbelievable. This is hands down the biggest disappointment I've ever had in regards to anything Frank. Jesus, I've been looking forward to the vinyl boxset forever now, been talking about it with friends, etc. No way, no way in hell will I buy this alphabet thing. What a crock. I guess I'll resume my quest to complete my collection and pay out my ass for used and overpriced catholics records on ebay.

"purists who believe in the album as a piece of art unto itself will be happy to know that the albums have also been remastered individually and will also be available"

What's the problem with that?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  14:36:00  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On vinyl? That's a lot of work and investment on their part. If that happens, I'd be surprised. Surprised but happy. I can see doing that with digital releases. Vinyl is an expensive format in every way. We'll see.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/20/2012 14:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  16:13:14  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so let me see if i get this straight. the boxset is alphabetical. but all the albums will be reissued (in newly remastered form) for purchase individually?

all right, all seven albums. $20 bucks each or thereabouts i suspect. but what about the non-album songs that are included in the boxset? will SSMVG be officially released on vinyl for the first time ever? plus an "Oddballs part II" or somesuch offering?

now a final question: WHY OH WHY COULD THE ABOVE NOT BE THE OFFICIAL FUCKING BOXSET IN THE FIRST PLACE, GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT????!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000