-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Catholics Stuff and Re-issues

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1965 Posted - 01/30/2011 : 10:08:59
From Facebook, Jan 2011:

"We are working on catholics set now, which will include remastering albums from the old 1/4" tapes. the set will include all the b-sides and cool outtakes we can dig up and hope to release it on vinyl as well later this year."

Sounds promising...

I have the key to #902
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Discoking Posted - 02/21/2023 : 03:57:58
quote:
Originally posted by ofabsis

Picture here
https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/product/frank-black/live-2006-2

Seems to be a Limited edition...1500 copy ?

that link says "limited to 800 copies"

it's educational
ofabsis Posted - 02/20/2023 : 10:49:18
Picture here
https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/product/frank-black/live-2006-2

Seems to be a Limited edition...1500 copy ?
vilainde Posted - 02/20/2023 : 04:26:31
No, 8 of the 9 live tracks from the US compilation are absent from the LP.

Denis
billgoodman Posted - 02/18/2023 : 23:42:16
Let me get this straight, buying the lp doesn't leave you with all the tracks?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
vilainde Posted - 02/16/2023 : 22:22:32
Oh :( bummer. I was really excited by the news but I already have the European best-of, and there are only 3 more tracks on the LP. 12 tracks vs 21 if you combine all 3 editions of the best-of.

Denis
matto Posted - 02/16/2023 : 18:16:58
Live 2006 - RDS
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/15668

Live tracks previously included on the ’93 – ’03 Best Of CD, which have never before been released on vinyl. This stand-alone release for Record Store Day 2023 has newly commissioned front cover artwork and is pressed on Mandarin Orange vinyl.

SIDE 1
1. Bullet
2. Nadine
3. Remake / Remodel
4. Living On Soul
5. Burnt Out Rock n Roll
6. All Around The World

SIDE 2
1. Deadman's Curve
2. Six Sixty Six
3. Horrible Day
4. (Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar
5. I Burn Today
6. I'm Not Dead (I'm In Pittsburgh)

--------
baby poop, curry
Discoking Posted - 02/05/2023 : 01:29:17
i've bought both (melkweg and snake oil), but my record player died, so i haven't been able to listen. :§(

it's educational
Stevio10 Posted - 02/04/2023 : 11:47:06
Some info on Demonmusic records on their site here, has tracklisting etc

https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue/releases/frank-black-and-the-catholics-live-at-melkweg-3lp-140g-black-vinyl/

Also Black Francis site has some goodies (live solo acoustic videos opening for Jeremy Dubs 2018) https://blackfranc.is/

Don't have the space and / or budget for vinyl but would totally buy the expanded Melkweg show if it was available on FLAC

Anyway, nice video showing the packaging and thoughts on the music here - Gun Club comparison too, nice.

https://nowspinning.co.uk/frank-black-and-the-catholics-live-at-the-melkweg-and-snake-oil-vinyl-reviews/

Also, listened to Stupid Me for the first time in ages - my god what a vocal delivery.
ricj Posted - 02/03/2023 : 23:40:23
There is a thread in the live section of the forum about the Melkweg album. According to my bootleg version, there were 39 songs played that night.

But after listening to the official release for so many years, with it's ridiculous, Pixies-centric track selection, it'll be incredibly incredible to hear all of those other songs in such high quality (the bootleg isn't the best audio-wise).
Bedbug Posted - 02/03/2023 : 14:30:46
They don’t make it easy to find the complete setlist online
billgoodman Posted - 02/03/2023 : 00:56:58
It's pretty expensive!

Troubles A Foot Posted - 02/01/2023 : 13:31:40
Boy it would be nice to hear that stuff
vilainde Posted - 01/30/2023 : 11:59:15
So no one has talked about the Melkweg reissue yet? Was the bootleg available before? I don't thikn I have it. I had a look at the tracklist of the reissue and it just looks so amazing. Seems all the best songs were left out for the CD version...

Denis
Discoking Posted - 12/05/2022 : 06:43:07
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Anyone able to get their hands on One More Road for the Hit on the Black Friday Record Store Day? It didn't seem like they were offered in Toronto.

i tried to buy a copy on black friday here in belgium, but they hadn't been delivered yet. i had asked the shop beforehand if they were getting this record in, and they confirmed.

i tried again the next friday, and still no copies. now the record shop said they didn't think they were going to get any copies at all.

dunno what happened there.
was anyone able to get a copy? (where?)

it's educational
Brank_Flack Posted - 11/29/2022 : 07:22:56
Anyone able to get their hands on One More Road for the Hit on the Black Friday Record Store Day? It didn't seem like they were offered in Toronto.

How's the boxset vinyl sounding johnnyribcage or anyone else who has it? Is it worth the upgrade from CD?
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/15/2022 : 12:31:35
Reveling in the Catholics vinyl box over here. Man, haven’t done any heavy Catholics listening in a long long time. What a fucking great band and run of albums. Listening to them back to back on vinyl is an absolute treat.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/15/2022 : 05:00:51
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Finally broke down and grabbed the Catholics box at the local shop. I already had SMYT and Pistolero original pressings but it was worth the price of entry to get the others. Can’t wait to get them home and fire it up!

Let us know what you think about the pressings when you have heard them

I was out late last night so didn’t get a chance to spin, but I got through self titled this morning - sounds great. Quiet vinyl (clear btw), really well mastered and pressed. I think my CD is in storage, but I A/B’d a few tracks in real time (switching sources during the song) between the LP and Apple “Lossless” audio. Running both through a Marantz 2275 with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers, Technics SL-1200MK2 with an Ortofon Super OM40. I say all that in case anyone knows what I’m talking about - it does matter what your rig is.

Anyway - there is absolutely no comparison (there rarely is), but the lossless stream is an absolute joke compared to the vinyl. The stream is thin, quiet, and pathetic compared to the vinyl. I mean it’s not going to be a revelation for anyone familiar with the music - it’s not a remix. It’s still a scrappy live record on tape which shows some telltale saturation and such - I.e. exactly what you’re going for recording on tape. Anyway, the record is outstanding, super full, rich sound. I’m very happy with my purchase.

All that said, if you’re using like a $150 record player through some tiny speakers or something, you’ll probably not hear any difference. If you’re gonna spend the moolah on vinyl, you gotta pony up for a decent system to make it worth the time, money, and storage space.

billgoodman Posted - 10/15/2022 : 00:03:58
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Finally broke down and grabbed the Catholics box at the local shop. I already had SMYT and Pistolero original pressings but it was worth the price of entry to get the others. Can’t wait to get them home and fire it up!

Let us know what you think about the pressings when you have heard them

johnnyribcage Posted - 10/14/2022 : 13:59:56

Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/30/2022 : 15:58:49
Would be first in line for a digital release of Melkweg. Can not play vinyl...really hope there's a way I can get that full show!
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 09/30/2022 : 12:58:46
Sounds about right. He should have them remastered etc...
benji Posted - 09/30/2022 : 12:20:57
What shows were released as part of that series? Have I missed any?
The Double Door, Chicago (2003-03-28)
Slim's, San Francisco (2003-04-19)
The Coach House, San Juan Capistrano, CA (2003-04-23) incomplete with just the 5 songs
Shepherd's Bush, London (2003-12-01)

I have all the complete ones, but don't think I have the other one.
They were sold as mp3 sets.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
billgoodman Posted - 09/30/2022 : 04:57:25
OH yeah, you are right. "Hear It Again . NET" or something

Mac E. Doobage Posted - 09/30/2022 : 04:39:25
remember those Catholics shows you could by online--Like live at the Double Door? There was another one as well. Can't remember if you were able to download and then burn or if they sent you the disc. Those were full shows that were incredible. Masters must exists somewhere...
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/29/2022 : 06:48:10
Oh man, that full Live t Melkweg show looks like a beast. It's really a shame the price of records has skyrocketted though... before the pandemic the average price for a record where I live was was $25 CAD (though you were starting to see more $30 records), now it seems to be $40.

So One More Road for the Hit is a record store day exclusive, but Snake Oil will be widely available? One More Road for the Hit is the one I really want, so hopefully I'll be able to find it.
billgoodman Posted - 09/28/2022 : 13:21:03
The first officially released Catholics show

matto Posted - 09/28/2022 : 12:04:55
Per FB:
New vinyl reissues coming on 20th January 2023 – Frank Black And The Catholics’ ‘Snake Oil’ and ‘Live At Melkweg (Expanded Edition)’
Now available to order worldwide: https://frankblack.lnk.to/vinyl
‘Snake Oil’, a compilation of cover versions from ’98 to ’03, is issued on vinyl for the first time. The album has been newly remastered by Phil Kinrade at AIR Mastering from the original master tapes and features exclusive new artwork with photographs by Steve Gullick.
‘Live At Melkweg (Expanded Edition)’ features the complete 38 song show from 2001, including 18 previously unreleased tracks. Newly remastered by Thaddeus Moore at Liquid Mastering and pressed on three 140g vinyl, housed in a deluxe triple gatefold sleeve.

--------
baby poop, curry
ofabsis Posted - 09/25/2022 : 10:08:42
https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/10387
Link to one more road.
vilainde Posted - 09/15/2022 : 05:19:34
Definitely! I'll probably listen to Doggerel 2 or 3 times, and 1MR4TH once, but still...

Denis
billgoodman Posted - 09/15/2022 : 01:14:38
So are you getting this and Doggerel, Denis?

vilainde Posted - 09/15/2022 : 00:51:52
I don't remember if the versions on the compilations are the same as the CD singles. In any case, the SMYT ep was never released on CD except on the Complete Recordings box set.

Denis
billgoodman Posted - 09/14/2022 : 22:08:12
I do have 3 singles on cd. Maybe I will get rid of them now.

Jason Posted - 09/14/2022 : 15:35:06
Two Frank Black and the Catholics B-sides collections came out in 2006, "One More Road for the Hit", which was all Frank originals, and "Snake Oil", which was all cover songs. They were digital-only, no physical format at all (aside from the scattered CD singles, natch, though not all of the tracks came out on CD singles).

They were the first things I ever bought on iTunes! I didn't have an iPod at the time so I just burned them to CD-Rs, which I still have.

billgoodman Posted - 09/14/2022 : 10:01:33
Yes! I believe it was not released on cd before

Wonder why it wasn't part of the box

Brank_Flack Posted - 09/14/2022 : 09:26:12
Great news - I'll pick it up if it's not too expensive since I (obviously) never had it on CD.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000