Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  08:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't a Live Album be like a record of the event and thus not abridged?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  08:57:08  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When it's the Catholics, definitely.

[Denis] and these: Hermaphroditos / You're Such A Wire / Oddballs ?

but this glass is half full.

Edited by - fbc on 02/27/2012 09:07:58
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  09:02:58  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're listed on Amazon, though not on the mp3 version. You're Such A Wire happens to be my least favorite pre-Nashville FB track, EVER. And Hermaphroditos is the weakest track on DITS.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  09:05:49  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I missed them, and don't hold back. What's your least favourite EVER?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  10:49:16  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will still buy this, but yeah the tracklist is much more disappointing than the length. 8 Pixies songs? Only 3 from DITS (none of which are "Robert Onion")?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  11:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like a wasted opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  05:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a time when The Catholics were playing two-hour shows. Maybe everyone felt that an album that long (something that would require a triple, maybe even quadruple, LP set) would be too excessive and I think I agree. Doing it this way probably makes more financial sense and maybe even artistic sense.

Because, after all, most live albums aren't complete documents of shows, especially for bands who played for two hours and aren't called The Grateful Dead. Just about all the classic live LPs are edited down for maximum impact. If you prefer the complete show, the bootleg is already out there. This album is, I guess, Frank and The Bureau's idea of a hard-hitting highlight reel... and it's not gonna cost $100.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  06:15:32  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm OK with not having the entire concert on the album. The 39 songs probably weren't all great. The thing that bugs me is that they included all the Pixies songs and left out several FB fan favorites (no Calistan? No Fiddle Riddle?). Seems putting Monkey on the record is a commercially good decision, but I'd have thought a Catholics live album on vinyl were intended for the fans.

(the Catholics' version of Gouge Away kicked ass though)

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  06:38:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I pretty much agree with Denis

Still, I think a double LP or cd, or even tripple would make more sense. This is a collector release anyway.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  07:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's going to be a double LP. There are photos on Facebook of the album being manufactured at the pressing plant and you can tell that it's a double from the label in one of the close-up shots.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  09:30:26  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got an email yesterday advising the CD is for sale.

The website says:

In anticipation of the Frank Black & the Catholics Complete Recordings box set, to be released in early 2013...

CD - AVAILABLE NOW

DOUBLE VINYL LP (WITH BONUS TRACKS) - APRIL 17TH

preorder for vinyl edition coming soon!
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  13:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone got the bonus tracks sorted yet

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 03/21/2012 13:57:24
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  15:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lame it's not the complete show.
Go to Top of Page

MarkThrust
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  16:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excited for the release, never heard a bootleg of the show - but I think if you are going to abridge a show, you may as well put out a loose collection of the best recorded versions of songs. It seems like you just want to represent how 'on' the band was at that time, anyways.

This was one of my favorite tours by any artist, ever. It was like an onslaught on the audience: exhaustingly long, no chatter, barely giving you time to inhale between going into the next song. It would be incredible to capture that in it's entirety.

"A dope trailer is no place for a kitty"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  07:54:17  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto
Will be curious to see BFnet vinyl pricing

$18 on the Bureau's site.

quote:
Also: per Blackfrancis.net - it looks like the FB&Cs box set "early 2013" will be CD only? (I'm not an audiophile snob, but I love listening to records while cooking).

It was supposed to be relased on 6 CDs or 13 vinyls

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  16:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to see that "John the Revelator" is on there. I just checked out the sample at Amazon and it sounds really good.

Edited by - windupbird on 03/23/2012 17:24:35
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  17:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's also some much longer samples of each song on iTunes.

Plus, there appears to be a Podcast from The Bureau records that I wasn't aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  21:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so will those bonus tracks be included on the vinyl release, or will the records contain the same tracks as on the cd release?
from the way it is worded, it's not really clear to me if the bonus tracks are download only (the download that will come with the vinyl copy), or if they will also be on the records.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  18:10:42  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at matto's list of FB & the Cs's songs and thinking about how under-appreciated the Catholics were.

So many good songs. It's sad to think that they started making those songs in 1998 and to this day I've never heard one of them on the radio.

I feel lucky that so many of those songs are part of the soundtrack of my life.

I remember the week after I got the 1st Catholics LP I went with my friend to a water park near Cape Cod and all day long- while I was climbing the stairs and going down the water slides- those songs were playing in my head.

FB, Pixies, Breeders, Belly, record sleeves at my blog, RJ Battles http://rjbattles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  11:39:11  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy

So many good songs. It's sad to think that they started making those songs in 1998 and to this day I've never heard one of them on the radio.

I feel lucky that so many of those songs are part of the soundtrack of my life.

It is a bummer. I do remember though hearing FB&C songs on the local rock station when I lived in San Diego. Every few days or so they'd a play Pixies or FB&C track. Actually I think they played at least one Pixie song every day. They weren't a college station I don't think. Pretty sure they were just the local "alternative" station.

I remember when Show Me Your Tears came out, they played Massif Central every day. It was pretty cool.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  18:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
91X? Use to be a good station back in the late 80s.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  22:33:12  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the audience tape of this show is a huge 38 songs long - there has also been only 7 songs broadcast - has there been a longer version broadcast than this one?:
01. I'll Be Blue
02. Monkey Gone To Heaven
03. I've Seen Your Picture
04. Dog Gone
05. Bullet
06. Nimrod's Son
07. Where Is My Mind?

and i agree that it would be awesome to have the entire thing released, but they're seriously not going to release a 2 hour and 15 minute set....

in case anyone's interested, the entire audience tape is here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=381606
and the FM broadcast (of 7 songs) is here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=381607

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  06:58:38  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji
but they're seriously not going to release a 2 hour and 15 minute set....

Why not ?
It's quite disappointing not to have the entire concert and that's why I'm not gonna buy it. Only the second time it happenned for a FB cd, the first time being fot the best of (same reason, the concert was far from complete)

Who is this release aimed at anyway ?
Certainly not the average Pixies fan so I really don't understand this decision (the cost of a 2 cd box ?)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  18:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand the fan desire to have a full CD but I also understand picking the best. That said, I would think the best would also make an allowance for rarity or interesting performance and not be a "fans' favourites" (AKA Pixies) tracklisting.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  18:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess what I'm trying to say is I should have been consulted. :P

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  01:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be great if this entire show as well as others see the light of day. With the same mixing mastering that this one received. Even if as a download only. Surely they must have tons of shows recorded...
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  12:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catholics shows in their entirety would be excellent! This tour was the only time they played Blast-Off, I think that would be nice to hear on an official live release.

The songs Denis listed are great. I love uncut, unedited, but properly mixed live albums. This album is better than nothing, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it but Catholics' shows deserve to be heard from start to finish!

Along those lines, the Cleveland Beachland Ballroom show in 03 would be good as well...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  20:15:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are those Hear It Again-shows still available, those were start to finish, or not?

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  04:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't now if they're still available. I took a quick look online just now but didn't find anything regarding the company.

The ones I purchased were all start to finish.

I liked the service, and was happy with the recordings.

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  16:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah those were um phat.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  17:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An officially mastered live Catholics album, even one missing half the show, is better than nothing. But I hope in the future, they release entire concerts, particularly other shows from the Dog in the Sand Tour and their last tour in 03.

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 04/06/2012 17:56:34
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  00:01:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Amen to that!

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  02:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word to Herb
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia