Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  13:59:54  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or chunk sick because there is always, always, carrots.

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

the_great_stupido
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  14:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

"junk sick" is a withdrawl term http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=junk+sick

i think the rock in "roll away the rock" is heroin (or crack) .. "roll away the rock so i can get to my ascension"

it seems to make more sense since they were junkies and the whole album is filled with drug references, but i could be wrong

jamming good with Weird and Gilly

Nah - you're right. I'm sure it IS "junk sick" - I just listened to it again...

And the 'roll away the rock so I can get to my ascension' is surely a biblical reference as well as having convenient drug-related undertones. The line 'who has prophesied' is also a biblical reference, at least, it's a biblical phrase...

Oh - and I haven't said this yet - but this album rocks. I really loved Honeycomb (and still do), and thought FMRM was pretty good, but I'd forgotten just how exciting it is to hear Frank scream a new song for the first time. 'Threshold Apprehension' is just so, so great... and the rest of the album sounds so full of vitality. Finding out about the whole Brood theory just adds another dimension of greatness to it. Awesome stuff.
Go to Top of Page

LUTINS
- FB Fan -

France
182 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  16:43:32  Show Profile  Click to see LUTINS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlp6haHfg1Q

FORUM PIXIES EN FRANCAIS ! http://www.netrover.com/~duracell/pixies.html
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  17:39:04  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
now that is quite a cool video....
best of the ones i've seen.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  19:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a biography, set in music. It's brilliant, really. Not the first time it's been done, but it's executed so damn well. I like how he comes at his subject from every angle imaginable.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  19:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmmm your comments are killing me!! I´ve always wait the official release of FB albums, I bought every LP and I´ll do the same with this but....I want to hear it!!!! where can I get it???!!! please help!!
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  01:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great album as expected. A pop punk formula that reminds of the Pixies and Frank Black early period but with a catholic rough and direct approach.

I like it a lot. You cant' break a heart and have it (true statement) is my favorite of the week.

++++
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  02:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

I like it a lot. You cant' break a heart and have it (true statement) is my favorite of the week.

++++

Yeah i have found myself totally hooked by this song also, i am going to see if i can find some Brood albums around and check out his other material.
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  05:51:35  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol(it)a:

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  06:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having heard the 3 Bluefinger songs that are on YouTube I've got to say I'm just stunned at FB's diversity. He's becoming a musical chameleon like Bowie once was but much more real and honest.
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  06:38:23  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

Having heard the 3 Bluefinger songs that are on YouTube I've got to say I'm just stunned at FB's diversity. He's becoming a musical chameleon like Bowie once was but much more real and honest.

You missed one song, there are already four Bluefingers on YouTube:
Threshold Apprehension
Your Mouth Into Mine
Captain Pasty
Test Pilot Blues

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  06:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks. Will go there now!
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  07:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard anything about the cover art yet?
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  07:15:17  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 999

Has anyone heard anything about the cover art yet?

Would be cool if Herman Brood 'did' the whole sleeve. A Brood painting (one of the planes) on the front, with 'Bluefinger' stencilled like Brood used to do, and inside pages with lyrics in Broods handwriting.

Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  08:43:06  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard anything except for what is on YouTube, and all I have to say is HOLY FUCK. I can't wait for this. This is the best shit I have heard in a long time. I LOVE Threshold Apprehension and Captain Pasty.

Edited by - gyaneshwar on 04/01/2007 10:14:15
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  09:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this would be the perfect one for cover art ... I'm using it as my iTunes art for the album ...

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

sixsixtysix
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  09:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is on soulseek btw, I got it off there except for the first song which wouldn't download
Go to Top of Page

Born to Lose
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  11:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else shocked by how much of a complete turn around these songs are? You wouldn't think that Fastman Raiderman and Bluefinger were by the same artist! It is quite amazing.
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  11:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Bluefinger sits pretty happily with the FMRM type stuff, but yes i agree that the rest of the album is a pretty sharp turn (for the good!).

Edited by - 2Strings on 04/01/2007 11:23:50
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It really is the best thing I've heard in a long while. Look forward to its release.

Ade

As the air conditioner hummed....
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  11:40:56  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has officially grown on me. Discotheque 36 still being my favorite. I do wish the guitar was a little louder in the mix though. I am hoping that will happen in the final mix and master.

For some reason Tight Black Rubber is my least like song on the CD. Not sure why. Just hasn't clicked with me just yet. I totally agree with a previus poster that Captain Pasty could be a hit. If this album is marketed correctly I think he can have his biggest selling solo album on his hands with Bluefinger. Let's hope so.

Dan

Here I am for your judgement
When the paint grows darker still
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  11:49:39  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

And this blue finger report
Still has onvermengd
And which numbering songs
From eleven in the summer 2007
Was solved

Onvermengd means something like 'not mixed yet'
But is the leaked version the onvermengd version or the solved one?

and if it's solved, will the album hit the stores this summer?

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  15:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are the youtube videos official like the christmass videos?
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  16:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got to hear the whole thing and it's wonderful, he just sounds so rejuvinated. I agree with frankblackphx, if it's marketed correctly it could be big; Frank Black (or Black Francis, whatever) would suddenly be the name on everyones' lips and the critics would predictably do an about turn and state they always thought he was a genius blah blah. Hmmm, maybe it would be better as another low key release after all...I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  18:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chickenwithtwoheads

quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

And this blue finger report
Still has onvermengd
And which numbering songs
From eleven in the summer 2007
Was solved

Onvermengd means something like 'not mixed yet'
But is the leaked version the onvermengd version or the solved one?

and if it's solved, will the album hit the stores this summer?

I would be really happy if the leaked version is not the final mix, not that I think it's bad mixed as it is, but I could buy it in stores and have a NEW Bluefinger in my ears.
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  19:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

are the youtube videos official like the christmass videos?

No. Fans of the man.
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  01:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kudos....to the man.
Go to Top of Page

Luis Bunuel
- FB Fan -

76 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  09:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got it. Very punk rock!

EDIT, sounds like the album the Pixies would've made to follow up Trompe. Frank's looking and sounding like a young man again! This is truly going to be the summer of Frank!!

Edited by - Luis Bunuel on 04/02/2007 09:42:06
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  12:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Coastline for figuring out the Herman Brood Biographical Concept.....Very impressive. I'm really enjoying it from a different perspective and am having fun learning about a new artist.......Herman Brood was certainly ".....Punker than Punk".
I know many of you have gone back and checked out the Babelfished lyrics from "Where in the World is Frank Black". I am claiming no revelation.......but I love reading the mixed up lyrics recalling the confusion of the forum members at the time. 'Frnck Blck' seemed to have erased all of his posts and I didn't think to archive them.....does anyone have them? The only babelfished songs I could find were 'Bluefinger' and 'Tight Black Rubber'.
To quote Villainde (Denis) who was referring to the following 'Frnck Blck' Babelfished song, "Looks like lyrics to me (of a song called, say, "Blue Finger"). I wouldn't look too much into it. Notice the abundance of commas, which is how Frank often writes his lyrics." Good eye Denis. Here's the babelfished song and the actual lyrics:

Babelfished 'Bluefinger'
"I am in top Bluefinger on the hill over the dark water to still run there but my blood of eerder Schweinetrab is Isala, and I' D came me at the surface, and I have myself each decrease drunk went through the pressure balance chamber door and received on the course Pepperbox the clock, which blows my brain, but I have it with the Spanish cocaine returned go noiseless, and I examined and made the cows the solemn oaths, if my choice is bad it made, her made me, and which corresponds with my door? I do not have it did not pay, her did not pay me to need to me disturb it sign here me the manager a friend mine am, thus go the baby, only more time am a lever jump at this thing on my back me, and everyone my choice were to clean me made, they made I, and who corresponds with my door? I paid it, paid her me"

'Bluefinger'
I am a bluefinger From Up on the hill, Above the dark water that’s flowing there still, But my blood is a silo..??, And I’d rather still, I came down from the top, And I drank every drop. I went through the "Sassengate????", And I got on a train , The pepper box bill blowing my brains, But I made it go quicker with Spanish cocaine, And I looked at the cows, And I made solemn vows, If my choices are poor, Well I made them (I made them), I made them (I made them). And who’s knocking on my door?, I paid them, I paid them. If my choices are poor, I made them (I made them), I made them (I made them). And who’s knocking on my door? I paid them, I paid them. I don’t need the do-not-disturb-me sign, The manager here is a friend of mine, So baby let’s go just one more time, I’m a jumping jack to this thing on my back. And all of my choices were pure, Yeah, I made them (I made them),I made them (I made them) And who’s that knocking on my door, Well, I paid them. Yeah, I paid them.

I marked a bunch of words or phrases in blue, they're either corrections (from the lyrics posted above) I made (I made them) or questions I have......
This is such a great ALBUM...I can't stop listening to the whole thing from start to finish!

Edited by - moksha23x on 04/02/2007 12:23:04
Go to Top of Page

the_great_stupido
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  13:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moksha23x

Babelfished 'Bluefinger'
"I am in top Bluefinger on the hill over the dark water to still run there but my blood of eerder Schweinetrab is Isala, and I' D came me at the surface, and I have myself each decrease drunk went through the pressure balance chamber door and received on the course Pepperbox the clock, which blows my brain, but I have it with the Spanish cocaine returned go noiseless, and I examined and made the cows the solemn oaths, if my choice is bad it made, her made me, and which corresponds with my door? I do not have it did not pay, her did not pay me to need to me disturb it sign here me the manager a friend mine am, thus go the baby, only more time am a lever jump at this thing on my back me, and everyone my choice were to clean me made, they made I, and who corresponds with my door? I paid it, paid her me"

Aha! "My blood is Isala". That's the river that flows through Zwolle. Thanks Wikipedia!

(Edit) And the Sassengate is also in Zwolle. God, I love this album!

Edited by - the_great_stupido on 04/02/2007 13:18:30
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  13:59:27  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My two cents --

I love the research and scholarship everyone here has put into the Brood connection - definitely makes for a satisfying listen on a verbal/literary scale.

Though I have to say, this album has not really inspired me right away, which is fine since almost none of FB's albums have upon the first few listens, not even the unassailable masterpiece TOTY, but I I hope I'm not being too quibbling to say that this does not sound like the Pixies to me, nor TOTY - at least in terms of sonics (its much closer to the first FB&TC's in that regard, which is also in my top 3) - not nearly as much as say, Ft. Wayne does, which is the track I've been playing on non-stop repeat since I got it. THAT to me soudns like the return to the catchier-textured singing of FB, much more so than the talk-sing-riffage of Bluefinger.

A few songs are excellent grabbers, like Tight Black Rubber (which also happens to remind me of Rocket From The Crypt's Heart of a Rat, not a bad thing really) and Threshold Apprehension.

Here's my desire from a man who cares probably very little for the desires of his audience - I want to hear Frank carry a tune some more. Some dynamics in his songs, not just 'loudQUIETloud' or something, but something more than the middle-ground distortion of this very rocking album. Like when he 'says' "tight. black. rubber." its not terrible but it strikes me as kinda anti-climactic. Just a said-sung chorus. Not his highest moment, and definitely not taking advantage of his amazing pipes.

Perhaps it'll grow on me, but I can't seem to stop playing Ft. Wayne! And this from a guy who has bought the Japanese version of Honeycomb and FMRM, even though they weren't as great to me as the final Catholics albums.

In anycase, thank the music god for this man and his various ventures, I'll be along for the ride no matter what.

Edited by - langdonboom on 04/02/2007 14:03:28
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

it seems to make more sense since they were junkies and the whole album is filled with drug references, but i could be wrong

jamming good with Weird and Gilly

Hahahaha! This made me laugh! Hahahaha! Two words almost the same said right after one another! Hahahaha!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  03:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once and for all: who are the other musicians oin this album and where/when was it recorded?

FB Rec
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  03:38:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
makes me wonder if it was recorded in Zwolle. Frank's version of Beach Boys' 'Holland'!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pjcoble
- FB Fan -

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  05:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have not heard it yet, including myself until now, Tight Black Rubber is now on youtube.com. Just search Black Francis, and it's there along with the others.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000