Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

onehappyprick
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  06:18:13  Show Profile  Click to see onehappyprick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, ok.

That would make more sense.

"Goodnight Kim", "Goodnight Charles", "Goodnight Kim", "Goodnight Charles", "Goodnight Joe".... "Goodnight Charles"
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where can i get a full track version of this album immediately?
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Ok, so which one of us wrote the wiki entry for "Bluefinger"? Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefinger

(It wasn't me. And it needs some work.)

Feel free to work on it, I just threw it up there.

I think it's premature to go taking Frank's offhand reference as absolute gospel that the album will be released as a "Black Francis" album and not a "Frank Black" album, especially in the absence of anything like wiki-grade reference to that effect, but if anyone wants to change it back to "Black Francis" I won't argue the point. See the discussion page on the article for more thoughts on that.

Edited by - anazgnos on 03/29/2007 07:42:06
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any consolidated translations of the dutch posts from FB around? I've only caught bits and pieces so far, and should probably get up to speed.

Edited by - anazgnos on 03/29/2007 07:41:43
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put some comments on the discussion page this morning, arguing my point, but I don't have such strong conviction as to change it myself. I figured that if I could convince you to change it, then it probably needed changing, and if you resisted, then I would leave it at that for now.

I don't know the first thing about creating wiki entries, but would it be appropriate to create entries for every song? For now, the folks who run fb.net surely won't be putting anything in the Discopedia (until the album is released), but once we nail down the lyrics to any of the songs via this thread, it would make sense to me to make them permanent somewhere -- such as a wiki. But you seem better-versed in the Wikipedia, anazgnos. What do you think?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

Are there any consolidated translations of the dutch posts from FB around? I've only caught bits and pieces so far, and should probably get up to speed.

He erased most of them, but a couple were quoted in replies by other forum members. I think we still have the double-translated lyrics to the song "Bluefinger" and the announcement of the album.

Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Bang Sky
Big Bang Dirt
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I put some comments on the discussion page this morning, arguing my point, but I don't have such strong conviction as to change it myself. I figured that if I could convince you to change it, then it probably needed changing, and if you resisted, then I would leave it at that for now.

I don't know the first thing about creating wiki entries, but would it be appropriate to create entries for every song? For now, the folks who run fb.net surely won't be putting anything in the Discopedia (until the album is released), but once we nail down the lyrics to any of the songs via this thread, it would make sense to me to make them permanent somewhere -- such as a wiki. But you seem better-versed in the Wikipedia, anazgnos. What do you think?

It's not unheard of to do that, but generally only for like really huge albums that are widely discussed in the press. You can quote lyric fragments but I don't think it's OK to quote entire song lyrics, being (potentially) copyrighted material. All info in wikipedia is really supposed to point back to solid, published references, and not just like "fan discussion/speculation" (which the current article is already pretty much skriting), and given that there aren't any interviews or press reviews to reference on this album or any of the songs yet, I don't think we have the raw material to fill individual song pages.

But you don't have to have an account or anything to edit wp...if you see anything you want changed, seriously, just click "edit" at the top of the page and just go!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 999

Big Bang Sky
Big Bang Dirt

Here's another line that seems to be about Brood's suicide. But I've been wondering about his suicide, as I haven't managed to really learn the details of it. Did he shoot himself as he jumped off the hotel roof, or did he just jump? Does anyone know?
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 999

Big Bang Sky
Big Bang Dirt

Here's another line that seems to be about Brood's suicide. But I've been wondering about his suicide, as I haven't managed to really learn the details of it. Did he shoot himself as he jumped off the hotel roof, or did he just jump? Does anyone know?

Apparently he drove his car to his hotel room, tied his neck to a rope, took a full box of sleep medication, loaded his gun, drove the car throught the window and shot himself.
He was hanged, shot and intoxicated during a car accident trough his hotel window !
Then he drawn in the hotel pool.

Hum... sorry, couldnt resist. Keep going!

Edited by - Grotesque on 03/29/2007 08:22:26
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:33:39  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Grotesque said. Apparently the police concluded the death was accidental.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did he jump from the roof, or room 902?

Scratching the surface without a purpose won't accomplish anything new

Upload your Frank photos here - fb.net gallery

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:46:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Since Brood's dead was widely documented in the dutch newspapers/television news:

Brood's body was tired of all the drugs and alcohol (ab)use. Doctor's said that he maybe
at 4 or 5 months to live, Brood stopped using but his body was so damaged that he decided that
life wasn't good enough for him anymore. I don't want to burn up, let's safe that for the cremation (I quote his farewell-letter, which also said: 'maybe I will see you sometime' and 'have a party'). I believe Test Pilot Blues says something in the line of 'I don't want to fade away'. That's typically Brood, he didn't want to slowly wither away, he wanted to go on the moment that life wasn't that great anymore. He used to go on the roof of the Hilton many times, he could see his house from there. One day he wrote his suicide-letter at the bar in the Hotel, got a cocktail and paid with hundred dollar, he didn't want to have any change-money because he would be 'right back'. Then he got to the roof again and jumped. He was dead immediately, but his face or body weren't ugly damaged (that's what his wife said in the press). The reason that people weren't sure that it was Brood was that he had shaved his head. Brood had nice dark hair, it was his trademark.
There was a big ceremony with thousands of people attending. Then he was cremated and his ashes were burried in Zwolle.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:51:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

john and yoko spend a week in room 902 during their honeymoon-bed inn for peace.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are FB's double-translated lyrics for the song "Bluefinger":

"I am in top Bluefinger on the hill over the dark water to still run there but my blood of eerder Schweinetrab is Isala, and I' D came me at the surface, and I have myself each decrease drunk went through the pressure balance chamber door and received on the course Pepperbox the clock, which blows my brain, but I have it with the Spanish cocaine returned go noiseless, and I examined and made the cows the solemn oaths, if my choice is bad it made, her made me, and which corresponds with my door? I do not have it did not pay, her did not pay me to need to me disturb it sign here me the manager a friend mine am, thus go the baby, only more time am a lever jump at this thing on my back me, and everyone my choice were to clean me made, they made I, and who corresponds with my door? I paid it, paid her me."

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  09:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

john and yoko spend a week in room 902 during their honeymoon-bed inn for peace.

yeah, it was just that in Angels it sounds like he was going into the room before he jumped.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Test Pilot Blues where is he says "I love this part, We did it". Do you think he's referring to the music or to whatever the test pilot is doing in the song?
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

In Test Pilot Blues where is he says "I love this part, We did it". Do you think he's referring to the music or to whatever the test pilot is doing in the song?

I keep thinking the answer to that is contained in a YouTube video that none of us has discovered and posted here yet.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  10:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankoholic

quote:
Originally posted by 2Strings

Not sure if anyone else has seen this already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaS0VzvfxGY (~0:50 'amazing! it works!') i guess this is where Frank got the line in Tight Black Rubber.

bluefinger:
And I got on the train
The pepper box been blowing my brains
But I made it go quicker with Spanish cocaine
And I looked at the cows

Pepper box is a small handgun back from US Civil War times.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I think he says, "The pepperbox bell been blowing my brain." Hence the word "clock" in the jacked-up translation above.

Here's the wiki on "pepper-box": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper-box

You know, somebody ought to run the lyrics to this song through Babelfish -- to Dutch and back to English -- and see how well it matches what we read a couple months ago.

Edited by - coastline on 03/29/2007 11:19:08
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  11:19:04  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't go with that, of course he may have checked somethings online
but you can find lot's of expositions, a musuem an tons of books on Brood here.
the statue of Herman Brood is placed at the venue were FB played
lot's of shows with the Catholics. Zwolle isn't punkrock-city number one,
nobody plays there, believe me. To me the only way that it makes sense that he played
there was that he had a friend in the area. Maybe the club's promoter or something like that. So my guess is that he knows the place well. That's great, for a musician it's common to know Amsterdam or Utrecht, but Zwolle...no way. Frank is special

I was mostly joking about the internet bit. Yeah, he's obviously been using it a bit, but Frank really seems to have an intimate knowledge of what's going on. From what I can tell by the lyrics, he was pretty immersed in this culture, the way all those references just pile up. But I was jokingly thinking that with Frank's amazing songwriting skills, he could have written this whole album using Wikipedia alone.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  12:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm more impressed with FB's historical research than Sufjan Stevens.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  12:33:15  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I would go that far yet. Of course, it's the quality of the album that matters the most, but we still don't know exactly how much Frank put into writing this. From what I've read of Sufjan's research, it was very lengthy, and very, very thorough. Though both these guys have made concept albums, their products have been very different. Frank has painted a very elaborate picture of the life of one man. Sufjan has been soaking up the history of entire states (and whatever else he's written concept albums for) and distilled from it what he thinks will make a good album. It's really hard to compare these two. I may be totally overthinking this, Kirk. I apologize.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  13:41:32  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
BTW

Violet's back ups are just like Herman Brood's back up singers. Captain Pasty is also very Brood-esque. And then there's indeed the cover You Can't Break A Heart and Have It.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  13:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our man on the scene nails down some more Brood-ishness. Nice work again, Jop.

Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  15:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found a video that could be Herman with his daughter (or maybe just a young girlfriend i guess), can't translate myself but it would be interesting to know what he's talking about if any Dutch speakers have the time to summarise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ttMmAVGAs

Also there are a number of Nina Hagen videos on Youtube, one of which is clearly about Herman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO5qWlGhfmQ&mode=related&search=. Another one with Hagen and Brood form a film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8lloCMMTZQ. I didn't realise she was also a performer.

Edited by - 2Strings on 03/29/2007 15:30:59
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  17:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW

Violet's back ups are just like Herman Brood's back up singers. Captain Pasty is also very Brood-esque. And then there's indeed the cover You Can't Break A Heart and Have It.

Tell us about the Dutch scene. I only know The Ex and De Kift (incredibly great bands by the way).
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  17:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

just heard it for the first time and as a long time Frank fan who loves everything he's done - I am just FLOORED!!! this album rocks!!! it's going to floor Frank fans, Pixies fans, and a whole bunch of new people

just looked at my Martin acoustic across the room - and didn't even want to pick it up

I'm puttin down the Martin - and I'm buying a Tele baby!!!!!

Caution ! I bought once a tele after seeing Frank Black live, but that was not at all his sound, because this little pervert has a tele with HUMBUCKERS (double microphones)!
The normal single mic tele sound is really light and gentle, almost accoustic sounding. You wont be ablle to make that twing twang sound like FB with that. It just makes a gentle "FRIIING".
Bluefinger has such a great rythm guitar sound, I think there will be a huge demand for a "FB signature" telecaster in a year from now.

Edited by - Grotesque on 03/29/2007 17:38:56
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  18:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lokikun
Some of the songs on Bluefinger remind me of other Frank songs. Test Pilot Blues reminds me of Nadine. Angels Come To Comfort You's intro sort of reminds me of Horrible Day. Anyone else find themselves going 'Jeez...That sounds familiar!' with any of the songs? I'm definately not bringing this up as a knock against the album or anything. Actually, I rather like it when it happens. It's almost bridging the old with the new.

Yes. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have felt some feeling of déjà entendu -- and it's not negative at all! It's like deliberate on his part, maybe.

I'm I the only one to link Rubber with the Breeders and Can't Break a Heart... with Sonic Youth?
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  19:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The end section of 'Angels Come To Comfort You' feels a lot like 'Vanishing Spies' from TOTY to me. I agree, these references are cool, the album has a weird out of time feel to it. Seems like although it is an album with a very clear concept, musically it feels like a nod to everything in Franks universe.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  19:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Czar
I'm I the only one to link Rubber with the Breeders and Can't Break a Heart... with Sonic Youth?
My very first thought about "Tight Black Rubber" was that it sounded just like Pearl Jam's "Spin the Black Circle," off the "Vitalogy" record. So I guess we all link it with something.

Edited by - coastline on 03/29/2007 19:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  21:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

just heard it for the first time and as a long time Frank fan who loves everything he's done - I am just FLOORED!!! this album rocks!!! it's going to floor Frank fans, Pixies fans, and a whole bunch of new people

just looked at my Martin acoustic across the room - and didn't even want to pick it up

I'm puttin down the Martin - and I'm buying a Tele baby!!!!!

Caution ! I bought once a tele after seeing Frank Black live, but that was not at all his sound, because this little pervert has a tele with HUMBUCKERS (double microphones)!
The normal single mic tele sound is really light and gentle, almost accoustic sounding. You wont be ablle to make that twing twang sound like FB with that. It just makes a gentle "FRIIING".
Bluefinger has such a great rythm guitar sound, I think there will be a huge demand for a "FB signature" telecaster in a year from now.

In the meantime you could pick up one of these teles if you can afford it:

http://www.thepolicetour.com/news/news.php?uid=4818

Serious firepower there!

Anyway, it's not hard to find a tele with humbuckers. They make a bunch of different models.

========
jeffamerica
========

-He played piano really fuckin' good.

Edited by - Jefrey on 03/29/2007 21:54:00
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  22:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk

look at the tab for Captain Pasty.
The chords strategically placed, they're everywhere, skipping a beat here and there.
http://bluefinger-tribute.blogspot.com/2007/03/captain-pasty-tab.html

Maybe it's a typo, but it starts on F#. Get rid of that first E and it's right on. Anyway, sounds like they maybe have not settled on the chorus riff.

As long as this might be a W.I.P.(?), I'll vote for the last one:
D E F# A
D E B F#
as the riff to use for all of 'em...

( Well,,,OK then, alternate it with the D E G A )

Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  00:08:57  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly0W8kwkm_M&mode=related&search=
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  00:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think it does start on E, just slides straight to F#

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000