Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just listened to captain pasty on the fan site. holy shit rocking frank is back and im glad to see him . this is a really excellent song, quite reminicent of I Want Rock and Roll, and the whole pistolero era. fine stuff indeed.

im fairly unsure has to whats atually goin on with bluefinger. is there an estimated date? will it be on cd? and where did you guys get the album this soon?

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2Strings

Not sure if anyone else has seen this already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaS0VzvfxGY (~0:50 'amazing! it works!') i guess this is where Frank got the line in Tight Black Rubber.

Another great find. Nice job, 2Strings. It seems very plausible that's exactly where FB got the line. I've been wondering if FB spent a whole bunch of time just researching Brood on the Internet as he wrote this album, using Google, Wikipedia (the Dutch one has much more Brood info, but I can't read it), YouTube, whatever. Maybe FB even stayed at the Hilton Hotel in Amsterdam when he did his research -- using their WiFi connection on his Powerbook. That's why this is the first great album of the 21st century. So modern, in every way.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

Edited by - coastline on 03/28/2007 11:19:57
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv found it and its on its way. i dnt see anything wrong with this as i will buy the hard copy as soon as its released. im just an extremely curious Uberfan.

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:02:07  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
FB Lowlands festival, The Netherlands, 2001: Mag ik Engels spreken? (RealPlayer) (~16:18)

Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXfkeZWGH-4

theres a homemade video for your mouth into mine.

-Beck

Edited by - The Marsist on 03/28/2007 12:10:04
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:26:49  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Marsist

-Beck

Um.... What's going on down there?

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see captain pasty being a popular radio song

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |

Edited by - s_wrenn on 03/28/2007 12:30:10
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

quote:
Originally posted by The Marsist

-Beck

Um.... What's going on down there?

yeah shes really diggin the new frank song

-Beck

Edited by - The Marsist on 03/28/2007 12:36:21
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:35:26  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess so. Well... um... good for her?

Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  12:45:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's like that scene from Private Parts with the subwoofer

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceManCometh
I always like FB's material. Always. But this is the first record since Dog in the Sand that's given me those goosebumps I've missed (yeah, it sounds corny, but hey, it's the truth). I like FB when he's going against the grain, embracing friction, throwing in that odd chord, singing a little out of key, tossing off the casual "fuck." On Bluefinger, he sounds like he's having...well, fun.

ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY.

That is what makes Frank...Frank. 100% agree.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so which one of us wrote the wiki entry for "Bluefinger"? Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefinger

(It wasn't me. And it needs some work.)

Edited by - coastline on 03/28/2007 13:09:15
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:08:27  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s_wrenn

It's like that scene from Private Parts with the subwoofer

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |

I was going to refer to that, but I was pretty sure nobody else had seen that movie.

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, it looks like it was anazgnos (who did the wiki)

Scratching the surface without a purpose won't accomplish anything new

Upload your Frank photos here - fb.net gallery

Edited by - Llamadance on 03/28/2007 13:10:18
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:15:30  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just heard it last night. wowsies wowsies wowsies
best fb/bf record evah evah evah
I feel like a kid again (not to steal a line from michael jackson)

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wiki needs a few style changes, but those are minor and I'll do them this afternoon. The biggest issue, though, is that it's called a Frank Black album. The Man himself said it's a Black Francis album. (And for all we know, "Black Francis" is the name of the band, but that's just wild speculation on my part.)

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:39:41  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wonder what the man himself thinks of all the detective work thats been done regarding this record...
sure, he wouldn't have expected it to stay a mystery, but it ain't taken long...

but seeing as he's in aus, it's unlikely he'll get a chance to check in...

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  14:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know if its Frank that plays the monica in the song Lolita?
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  14:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know for definite, but he did credit himself as playing harmonica in a previous post.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  14:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's the only one with harmonica credits in the initial announcements, so I'd guess it's him.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  14:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

blackfrancisBLUEFINGER

1. captain pasty
2. threshold apprehension
3. test pilot blues
4. lolita
5. tight black rubber
6. angels come to comfort you
7. your mouth into mine
8. discotheque 36
9. you can't break a heart and have it
10. she took all the money
11. bluefinger

blackVOCALGUITARHARMONICA
jasonDRUMS
danBASS
violetVOCAL

produced by mark

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  18:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who are JASON & DAN?

Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  18:41:50  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy shit! I've been waiting 4 years for something like this from FB. I didn't buy Honeycomb or Fastman Raiderman but this I will go out and buy.
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  18:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac E. Doobage

who are JASON & DAN?

My thoughts exactly. These guys can play for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Lokikun
- FB Fan -

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  22:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to wait. I really did. Honest Abe! I got too excited though, and just had to hunt it down. I know I'll be the first in line in my part of the world once it gets released anyway, so I figure why deny myself?

First off, I've got to give kudos to The Man. What a smooth transition back to rock! And an absolute beaut of an album...It's definately in my top 3 FB albums. I must admit that when FB (or should I say BF?) was making his cryptic posts and eventually posted the tracklisting, I thought that it was just a big hoax and that he was just having some fun with us. But, honestly, the song titles fit a lot better after actually listening to the songs. (Especially now that the Brood theory has surfaced. I love the fact that FB has put out a concept album, but better yet is that it works so so well!)

Some of the songs on Bluefinger remind me of other Frank songs. Test Pilot Blues reminds me of Nadine. Angels Come To Comfort You's intro sort of reminds me of Horrible Day. Anyone else find themselves going 'Jeez...That sounds familiar!' with any of the songs? I'm definately not bringing this up as a knock against the album or anything. Actually, I rather like it when it happens. It's almost bridging the old with the new.

The first three songs are rediculously catchy...I find myself humming/singing them all the time now...I agree with another poster in that it sounds like Frank is having a blast on this record.

Now I'm off to listen to it some more. Love love love!

-Wes

Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  23:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you guys think this album signals the return of hard-rockin' Frank for some time to come, or is it part of the concept for this particular album? I have not heard Fort Wayne so i have no idea what kind of direction he's going with that, but i would quite like to see some more rockin' material surface.

Edited by - 2Strings on 03/28/2007 23:41:29
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  23:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he's doing what he wants to do. Grand Duchy will probably be a bit lighter and who knows what the edf project will sound like/if it will surface. He talked before about being prolific, and I kind of get the feeling he's going to have multiple music personalities in the near future. I'd imagine one of those will be rockin' Frank.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  00:59:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

quote:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaS0VzvfxGY (~0:50 'amazing! it works!') i guess this is where Frank got the line in Tight Black Rubber.

Another great find. Nice job, 2Strings. It seems very plausible that's exactly where FB got the line. I've been wondering if FB spent a whole bunch of time just researching Brood on the Internet as he wrote this album, using Google, Wikipedia (the Dutch one has much more Brood info, but I can't read it), YouTube, whatever. Maybe FB even stayed at the Hilton Hotel in Amsterdam when he did his research -- using their WiFi connection on his Powerbook. That's why this is the first great album of the 21st century. So modern, in every way.

I think he was staying in Zwolle, his posts on this board point that way. And what other place than Zwolle is better to research Brood?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  01:01:42  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The INTERNET!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  01:06:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't go with that, of course he may have checked somethings online
but you can find lot's of expositions, a musuem an tons of books on Brood here.
the statue of Herman Brood is placed at the venue were FB played
lot's of shows with the Catholics. Zwolle isn't punkrock-city number one,
nobody plays there, believe me. To me the only way that it makes sense that he played
there was that he had a friend in the area. Maybe the club's promoter or something like that. So my guess is that he knows the place well. That's great, for a musician it's common to know Amsterdam or Utrecht, but Zwolle...no way. Frank is special

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coastline, I mentioned on the discussion board that calling it a 'Black Francis' album might be a little misleading. The entry beforehand suggested that Frank was changing his identity completely, and "going back to his roots". Sure, he called himself 'BF' on this forum, but all the summer tour dates are still under the name of Frank Black etc.
Go to Top of Page

onehappyprick
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:39:23  Show Profile  Click to see onehappyprick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wowwowowowow.

Ok, I'll start by saying that this is the first FB release I've ever downloaded, everything else, I've been loyal and bought. But this I just couldn't wait for after hearing the name "Black Francis". And I will be buying this as soon as it's out.
I'll start with the music: It's amazing. I love the lack of solos, the bass, everything. It reminds me a lot of TOTY, and there are definitely elements of the Pixies in there, but just the scream and it's a lot more obvious that it's the same songwriter than recent albums. It does sound like a metal pick on the bass (like Surfer Rosa).
Also, there are a couple of synths on various tracks, which aren't credited. Any chance it could be EDF? I know this isn't the EDF project thing, but just interested.
Ok, on to the concept. This made me love it so much more. Just when I thought I knew what he was all about. That man never fails to shock me (in a wonderful way), since I first heard the Pixies when I was 12.

My first thought was that at least a couple of these songs started as the songs he wrote for the Pixies, especially Threshold Apprehension. Maybe he decided to write one song about Brood, the Pixies album never happened (who knows) and got hooked on Brood, and got the idea for this project. If he was, at first, trying to write like Black Francis, then why not release it under that name.

But my absolute favourite thing about this, is the way it sounds like a complete combination of everything he's done. In a single song I can hear Surfer Rosa style guitars, elements of TLM and TOTY, early Catholics and definate hints to the Nashville stuff. And it's wonderful.

As for the dates as Frank Black, maybe those will still be Nashville shows.
I'm off to read up on Brood. I'm intregued.

"Goodnight Kim", "Goodnight Charles", "Goodnight Kim", "Goodnight Charles", "Goodnight Joe".... "Goodnight Charles"
Go to Top of Page

onehappyprick
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:40:08  Show Profile  Click to see onehappyprick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also, the line about the "name that rhymes with dead".

Sounds like a blatant Pixies reference to me.

"Goodnight Kim", "Goodnight Charles", "Goodnight Kim", "Goodnight Charles", "Goodnight Joe".... "Goodnight Charles"
Go to Top of Page

frankoholic
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

bluefinger:
And I got on the train
The pepper box been blowing my brains
But I made it go quicker with Spanish cocaine
And I looked at the cows
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onehappyprick

Also, the line about the "name that rhymes with dead".

Sounds like a blatant Pixies reference to me.

i think brood translated to english is bread.

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000