Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  16:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
according to http://bluefinger-tribute.blogspot.com/], there's already a fan-video of 'Captain Pasty'
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  16:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody noticed how Angels is a smooth transition from the Catholics days? And nobody noticed how Rubber sounds like The Breeders?

This is an excellent album. Love it. Praise the angel who put it in my inbox. I will buy two copies to cover my sin.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  16:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your mouth into mine?

all artwork by herman brood

bluefinger

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/28/2007 18:37:20
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  16:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Test Pilot blues?

all paintings by herman brood

bluefinger

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/27/2007 18:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  18:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bingo.

Good finds.

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 03/27/2007 18:28:15
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  18:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the song Fingabang Rec.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  18:44:07  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm totally in love with the bass playing on this record.
i know that with the 3 piece the bass is generally a bit higher in the mix, but on some of these songs, especially tight black rubber, it's like the bass is playing lead and franks guitar is just there to add texture...
absolutely brilliant.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  19:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could one of yous guys who has these mp3's PLEASE share them with me. I'm dying to hear this album!!!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  19:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, good detective work, Daisy!
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  20:32:15  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is amazing and incredible getting another FB release. He is such an amazing songwriter. I feel so lucky and honored to be a fan and listen to his songs. I always have such a sense of sadness after I get done listening to an FB release for the first time. It is always a surreal and special moment to hear his work for the first time.

This is not to be negative at all. Just my initial opinion. After my first listen I just think Bluefinger is okay. Like most of FB's albums they always seem to take a few listens to really get into. I do not hear any TOTY in these tracks at all. The song from his past catalog that I think would fit perfectly on this album is A Dab'll Do You. It is the most quirkiest album he has done in a long time.

I wish the guitar and vocals were a little more produced. I really enjoyed the chorus of Bluefinger but his singing seemed to be sung out of tune on purpose. I actually really missed some lead guitar work. I thought the drums and bass were excellent.

I thought Violet's vocals were beautiful and was a pleasent surprise. The 4 songs that really jumped out at me were Captain Pasty, Threshold Apprehension, Test Pilot Blues & Discotheque 36. Some great melodies and memorable songs. I was signing along after hearing them for the first time. I especially thought Discotheque 36 was the best song after the first listen.

Thanks for all of the insight on Herman Brood. I think it really helped me listen to the album amd enjoy it a little more with that information.

Like I said I hope this grows on me a little more. After the comparisons to TOTY my expectations were really high as that is my favorite album of all time. Not sure why the nashville sessions get a bad rap but I think FMRM is one of his best. I have come to love FB's pure singing voice.

Great Job again FB. Thanks again for all of the awesome tunes.

Thanks so much to the person who graciously shared this with me. You're the best.

Dan

Here I am for your judgement
When the paint grows darker still

Edited by - frankblackphx on 03/27/2007 20:45:34
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  22:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess...
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk

Needs work on:

10 She Took All The Money

Shamalama Ding Dang.
Oh me, oh my.
She took all the money and left me here to cry.

On my way to a Hamburg and we had a little booze
Now I’m stuck in Dresden with the solitary blues.

Shamalama Ding Dang.
Oh me, oh my.
She took all the money and left me here to cry.

I have my habits.
I can not lie.
But I don’t want to go through this again.

Shamalama Ding Dang
Oh me, oh my.
She took all the money and hung me out to dry.

On my way to central station
There my train departs
Why should she have to go and break our hearts?

Shamalama Ding Dang
Oh me, oh my.
She took all the money and now I can’t get by.

Don’t want her loving
And I don’t want her new address.
I don’t want to know the reason why.

Shamalama Ding Dang
Oh me, oh my.
She took all the money and left me here to die

Shamalama Ding Dang
Oh me, oh my.
She took all the money and left me here to die

Go to Top of Page

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  22:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I had to listen. I just couldn't help it. I do worry about these things a bit. I hope everyone ends up buying the record, if there is a record that's officially released. Stange, hearing this so soon, so early, before there's even a release date inked.

As I'm sure I've mentioned many times before, I bought Doolittle the day it was released, on a whim, looking for something new. Have been a die-hard ever since. Every record bought, countless FB shows, etc.

I remember an interview with Frank Black (then Black Francis) way back when in Melody Maker (before it was a joke) wherein he said that the Pixies' music was all about capturing that elusive "eargasm." That bit of friction, that abrasiveness, a combination of the foreign and the familiar---it became something I craved in the Pixies work, and then in Frank Black's subsequent solo work. It even became an aesthetic of mine, in my own work.

I always like FB's material. Always. But this is the first record since Dog in the Sand that's given me those goosebumps I've missed (yeah, it sounds corny, but hey, it's the truth). I like FB when he's going against the grain, embracing friction, throwing in that odd chord, singing a little out of key, tossing off the casual "fuck." On Bluefinger, he sounds like he's having...well, fun.

As I said, I like everything FB does, but this has been the first record of his that I love since Dog in the Sand. Comparisons to the first Catholics record are right on target. Teenager? No, I don't hear it, unless you mean a few odd time signatures and higher-register singing. But this seems more like 1996-1999 era Frank Black to me. Actually, it seems a little different. Maybe a new chapter opening? I hope so. This is a welcome and refreshing suprirse, a strange bolt of electricity when I was least expecting it. A little Iggy Pop, a little Lou Reed, a little Jonathan Richman, a little Pete Shelley, a little Mark E. Smith, a little Herman Brood, a little Frank Black, a little Black Francis. A strange, emotive record that sounds like someone hitting his stride, about to tap into some new and promising powers.

I've been hoping he'd make a record like this.

Show 'em how it's done, Frank.

Edited by - IceManCometh on 03/27/2007 22:29:31
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  22:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sign me up for 5 copies! Two for me (one for listening and one to keep sealed) and three for gifts.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  00:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You get straight flush. You feel the rush.

It's been a long time since I've listened to a complete album over and over. It's one of those albums where you like a different song better every time you listen. To me it feels like it could have come between Trompe Le Monde and the First FB solo album.

========
jeffamerica
========

-He played piano really fuckin' good.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  01:23:54  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the Brood pointers chaps. I thought I'd seen almost everything from Frank Black and then he goes and pulls out a concept album. Sweet.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  01:38:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceManCometh
A little Iggy Pop, a little Lou Reed, a little Jonathan Richman, a little Pete Shelley, a little Mark E. Smith, a little Herman Brood, a little Frank Black, a little Black Francis.

That's a great great post, IceMan. I think your comparisons are spot-on.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  03:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, guys, awesome work. I was liking the album before, but this gives it a little coherence and context.
Go to Top of Page

frankoholic
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  04:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard captain pasty. ROCK N ROLL! actually it reminded me a lot of the song 'I want rock n roll', but what the heck. I love it.
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  06:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look at the tab for Captain Pasty.
The chords strategically placed, they're everywhere, skipping a beat here and there.
http://bluefinger-tribute.blogspot.com/2007/03/captain-pasty-tab.html
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  06:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to those who shared this with me. This album is incredible. I love how FB has gone back to his rockin' roots. Love the album Frank keep on rockin' and rollin' !!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a big fan of the bass playing myself. He needs to move off the low-E a bit more.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This album is growing on me after a few more listens, especially after having read up a bit on Herman Brood since my first post. The record definately feels more coherant when you listen to it with some understanding of the subject. For some reason i really did not expect Frank to catch a theme and run with it for a whole record.

Still a few songs that i am not feeling, including Test Pilot Blues and Bluefinger, but the rest of the record is definately picking up for me.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed a lot of people who just had it these ultimate days think "it's OK".
And those who had it before usualy say "it's a masterpiece".
This album is not like "Fort Wayne" or "Gyaneshwar" that had sweety-poppy arrangements that make you love them at once.
But once you're inside, once you can begin to anticpate the complex chords progression and strange melodies, it's even much better than the sweets pop songs of Christmass and Duchy. Anybody heard of the TOTY effect ?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:24:49  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2Strings
Still a few songs that i am not feeling, including Test Pilot Blues

Then you haven't turned your stereo loud enough.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Originally posted by 2Strings
Still a few songs that i am not feeling, including Test Pilot Blues

Then you haven't turned your stereo loud enough.

Denis

haha, maybe :)
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the parts of that song where FB is talking and laughing. I can't tell whether that's him goofing around while they were recording it (which would be normal for him, based on songs like "Bullet") or whether it's supposed to be part of the narrative.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Discotheque 36 is a masterpiece. Totally FB.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I've heard is Captain Pasty thanks to that video on the blogspot page. The very beginning (as in before the vocal starts) sounds like a NoMeansNo song. Good tune, and while I like the bass so high in the mix I also hope the tone varies a bit more through the rest of the album. Based on some of the comments here I'm guessing it is...guess I'll find out soon enough.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let's all chip in and buy bluefingers for all our friends
let's make this the first FB that goes platinum
it deserves it

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:00:04  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was stood at the bus stop this morning, feeling a bit nervous as I'd locked a few people out of the office by taking the keys home last night by accident and I was running late, due to putting this on my MP3 player last minute before setting off. However after those first 2 tracks, I had a massive stupid grin on my face and didn't care what people said by the time I got into work! Amazing stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyhelperband http://www.myspace.com/imnimrodsson
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm usually VERY patient about things like this, but I was TOO curious aobut this so I, uh, downloaded a few tracks (not the whole thing, though).

Sounds GREAT! I wouldn't say it sounds like "a Pixies record". But that's only because there's no Joey Santiago. Without him, anything is at least a mile away from the Pixies, in my opinion (Maybe that's why there's no lead guitar player here. Frank might not want to sound like he's trying to replace the Pixies with this new band). These ARE totally cool punk rock songs, though! "Threshold Apprehension" sounds straight out of 1977 to me.

Looking forward to hearing the whole thing... which I will now wait for.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Looking forward to hearing the whole thing... which I will now wait for.
Yeah, right!

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Let's all chip in and buy bluefingers for all our friends
let's make this the first FB that goes platinum
it deserves it

That's a nice intention, but I guess we havent got that power.
There must be a mass movement, a hype around it...
Then it's another discussion: will all the sheeps fall in love with bluefinger as we do ? I guess it has more chances than the totally out of fashion FMRM. But as it is now, I think it's a bit raw for a platinium audience. As a reference point, remember Smells like tean spirit was produced by Butch Vig (personaly I hate the sound of it).

Edited by - Grotesque on 03/28/2007 10:05:57
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:35:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
but we can get it on the top of the indie-charts
this is the record that deserves our best effort
make a Black Francis street team

Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  10:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if anyone else has seen this already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaS0VzvfxGY (~0:50 'amazing! it works!') i guess this is where Frank got the line in Tight Black Rubber.

Edited by - 2Strings on 03/28/2007 10:41:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000