121 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  11:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From where? When?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  14:32:24  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else seen any of the pre order prices for bluefinger online? It's up around $30... ! What's the deal with that? I really hope the real thing is at least reasonable. I think I paid around 30 for Christmass, which in all honestly was only worth that much because of it's likely soon-to-be-rare status. This is a completly different album of course, but there's no reason for that kind of price on any CD. Even Beatles cd's aren't worth that.

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  22:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the import price. Like ChristMASS, I would guess that a domestic price will come later.

I think a bunch of us paid $30 for ChristMASS, and then it came out in the US for $13.99 like a month or so later.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  08:38:13  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it made me wonder "what was he doing all these years, since pixies broke-up? why he never used those amazing energies and crazy melodics since then? was he afraid of being original? ashamed of being Black Francis?"
and really reminds me why I love rock music.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  10:39:11  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kotvana

it made me wonder "what was he doing all these years, since pixies broke-up? why he never used those amazing energies and crazy melodics since then?

Objection!
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  11:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

it made me wonder "what was he doing all these years, since pixies broke-up?

Question: it made me wonder "what was he doing all these years, since pixies broke-up?

Answer:
1993 Frank Black
1994 Teenager of the Year
1994 Frank Black & Tennage Fanclub-"The John Peel Sessions"
1996 The Cult of Ray
1998 Frank Black and the Catholics
1999 Pistolero
2000 Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
2001 OddBalls
2001 Dog in the Sand
2002 Black Letter Days
2002 Devil's Workshop
2003 Show Me Your Tears
2004 Frank Black Francis
2005 Honeycomb
2006 Fast Man Raider Man
2006 One More Road For The Hit
2006 Snake Oil
2006 Christmass
2007 Bluefinger

Question: why he never used those amazing energies and crazy melodics since then?

Answer Refer to first answer

Question: was he afraid of being original?

Answer I'm not going to answer this one.....OK, I'll answer this last one.... Refer to last answer

Edited by - moksha23x on 05/02/2007 12:02:59
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  11:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we are misinterpreting poor kotvana in some way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  11:36:10  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1995 was a *bad* year!

(as was 97)

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyhelperband http://www.myspace.com/imnimrodsson

Edited by - bumblebeeboy2 on 05/02/2007 11:36:49
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  13:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

it made me wonder "what was he doing all these years, since pixies broke-up? why he never used those amazing energies and crazy melodics since then? was he afraid of being original? ashamed of being Black Francis?"

Define original. Define crazy.
I really thought he was both original AND crazy to make an album like Fast Man Raider Man in 2006. "Artic Monkeys? Pixies copies everywhere?... Mmm, no, taste a bit of that mellow old fashioned country soul instead."
This was a pure rock'n'roll suicide, a real amazing energy to me. Bravo Frank Black.
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  09:28:54  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

-bRIAN

Indeed. Kotvana meant.. well.. I LOVE ALL HIS ALBUMS!
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  13:53:07  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

-bRIAN

Indeed. Kotvana meant.. well.. I LOVE ALL HIS ALBUMS!

You have been excused, as there is nothing better than someone referring to themselves in the 3rd person.

----------------------------------------
it is a wretched life and vanity is repulsive

www.myspace.com/thesexymistakes
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  16:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just realised Test Pilot Blues is reminding me of The Birthday Party's Deep In The Woods.
Especially the Elvisy 'C'mon pray for me now' part.

Oh shit, no one else is gonna see it.

Edited by - trobrianders on 05/04/2007 16:13:59
Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  05:11:20  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Having read the speculation that 'Jason and Dan' are part of 'Tiven's NYC Punk contacts' that FB had expressed a wish to record with in future , I'd love it if it turned out that Jon Tiven had produced the record.

Ha ha Jon Tiven...like he knows anything about rock'n'roll Seriously though, I think he could pull it off - Johnny Barleycorn is my favorite FMRM song and it rocks.

Edited by - crippe on 05/05/2007 05:14:21
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5993 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  02:41:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have no doubt that Jon Tiven is a great producer and a nice person to work with. Still, FMRM and Honeycomb aren't my favourite records. Could have been classics like DITS but just didn't make it.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

frankoholic
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  06:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know why, but FMRM is one of my favorite Frank Black albums. Some songs like Fidgegerald really touched me.
Go to Top of Page

rocknfire
- FB Fan -

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  22:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankoholic

I don't know why, but FMRM is one of my favorite Frank Black albums. Some songs like Fidgegerald really touched me.

Agree Frankoholic. Really loved Fitzgerald. Reminds me of my own brother too.
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Honestly, I agree with this. And the recent best-of Press release rundown kind of confirmed what I had suspected all along, that the Catholics approach and attitude was very much a self-conscious reaction against the semi-failure of his previous solo career to catch on. There was a huge drive away from the tropes and 'quirks' that had defined his work up to that point (extreme dynamics, chopped odd chord sequences, etc). I think I've read interviews where he's said as much - that he wanted to see if he could write in an incredibly basic, direct (er, pedestrian) style. I imagine the "quirky" tag chafed after a while. All of this is something I find perfectly respectable for him to do as an artist, BUT, it also meant that to a certain extent he deliberately turned away from so much of what made him unique. And I feel qualified to say this because I am by any measure a GIGANTIC fan and I've digested everything the guy has ever done.

All I can say is that Bluefinger has the kind of energy and spark throughout that formerly I'd get excited about if it showed up in one or two songs on even the best Catholics albums. And I love all the Catholics albums, the Nashville ones are the only ones in which I find almost nothing redeeming. Saying that it sounds like he's comfortable with himself (or with "Black Francis" for that matter) sounds completely right on the money. There's nothing self-conscious about it; he's embracing all those "quirks" that are to me, the essence of what makes him a genius songwriter, in a way he hasn't done since Teenager. But the "rawness" is essential as well. It's all there.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  16:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amen.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  18:31:04  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

quote:

Honestly, I agree with this. And the recent best-of Press release rundown kind of confirmed what I had suspected all along, that the Catholics approach and attitude was very much a self-conscious reaction against the semi-failure of his previous solo career to catch on. There was a huge drive away from the tropes and 'quirks' that had defined his work up to that point (extreme dynamics, chopped odd chord sequences, etc). I think I've read interviews where he's said as much - that he wanted to see if he could write in an incredibly basic, direct (er, pedestrian) style. I imagine the "quirky" tag chafed after a while. All of this is something I find perfectly respectable for him to do as an artist, BUT, it also meant that to a certain extent he deliberately turned away from so much of what made him unique. And I feel qualified to say this because I am by any measure a GIGANTIC fan and I've digested everything the guy has ever done.

All I can say is that Bluefinger has the kind of energy and spark throughout that formerly I'd get excited about if it showed up in one or two songs on even the best Catholics albums. And I love all the Catholics albums, the Nashville ones are the only ones in which I find almost nothing redeeming. Saying that it sounds like he's comfortable with himself (or with "Black Francis" for that matter) sounds completely right on the money. There's nothing self-conscious about it; he's embracing all those "quirks" that are to me, the essence of what makes him a genius songwriter, in a way he hasn't done since Teenager. But the "rawness" is essential as well. It's all there.

You make it sound like the man could just turn his 'quirk' on and off -- I'd suggest that even if those were his intentions (seeing if he could write 'pedestrian' rock in the catholics) he still wasn't able to get all the way straight, and in so trying, still managed to make several records with his strange 'quirk' in tact. I would suggest, as I have here many times, that his genius just went 'underground' as in, not wearing its genius on its sleeve -- he still had those strange song structures, weird time signatures, just more subtle and therefore weirder (to me). Songs that took a few listens to realize just how strange they are replaced leaping strangeness. First Catholics, Pistolero, Dog in the Sand, and Show Me Your Tears are not classic rock, even if they are written in that idiom. They are still clearly the product of a strange rock artist, even if they no longer shout it from the rooftops (which actually, to me, makes them even more genius).

So where was he for years after the pixies broke up? He was blowing your mind!
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  19:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to bob dylan's Nashville Skyline. The songs feature Kenny Buttrey, Charles McCoy, Pete Drake, Norman Blake, Charlie Daniels and Bob Wilson with special guest Johnny Cash. The record is a moment every time it plays.
Its nice that frank does the same with his music.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else bought the offical single release of Threshold Apprehension and noticed that it's been remixed? The bass is less heavy, and there are some vocal changes as well.

Check out the "say.....What?!" In the leaked version the "say" is on the right - now it's more to the left/center. The way the vocals are mixed seems different somehow as well - I think the backing vocal of the chorus is more prominient.

Someone tell me that I'm not nuts. I think it sounds a lot weaker (thinner) and now I'm glad I got the leaked version. Of course I'll still buy the official release, but from what I've heard, I think I'll like the leaked one better, especially if they toned down the raw bass sound.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

Has anyone else bought the offical single release of Threshold Apprehension and noticed that it's been remixed? The bass is less heavy, and there are some vocal changes as well.

Check out the "say.....What?!" In the leaked version the "say" is on the right - now it's more to the left/center. The way the vocals are mixed seems different somehow as well - I think the backing vocal of the chorus is more prominient.

Someone tell me that I'm not nuts. I think it sounds a lot weaker (thinner) and now I'm glad I got the leaked version. Of course I'll still buy the official release, but from what I've heard, I think I'll like the leaked one better, especially if they toned down the raw bass sound.

== jeffamerica ==

Thinner sound? Great! Maybe it will end up with that "Placebo wall of sound" feeling i had listening to the leaked version!
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  13:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, some people might like it better. Maybe it will grow on me. I just love the heavy bass, being originally a bass player, and that's how I mix stuff. Maybe the bass part of my hearing was damaged or something, but I can't get enough bass.

I'm also assuming the whole thing was remixed/remastered, so maybe some of the little "hissing" on the vocals problems that people have noticed will have been cleaned up as well.

I do like the way the vocals are remixed, with more of the female backup vocal in the chorus.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  13:32:41  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Based on what people are saying I'm incredibly excited to hear this. I've despised everything he has done after Teenager of the Year.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  14:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yikes, you've been waiting a long time! I think you'll at least not despise it ;)

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Bubbazooka
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  18:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm listening to bob dylan's Nashville Skyline. The songs feature Kenny Buttrey, Charles McCoy, Pete Drake, Norman Blake, Charlie Daniels and Bob Wilson with special guest Johnny Cash. The record is a moment every time it plays.
Its nice that frank does the same with his music.

You nailed it there danjersey, I could not agree more. Nashville Skyline was apparantly not well received when first released, people thought it was country hokum or so I've read but it was the first Dylan album I heard and remains one of my favourite ever records.
SMYT was the first FB album I bought after a friend had given me copies of FB and TOTY. It's all good, good music. He follows his muse wherever she roams and I'm grateful for that. Don't think I'd be as interested in Frank's records if all he'd done was release variations on TOTY for the last 15 yrs. As for Bluefinger I've only heard Threshold Apprehension on You Tube through shitty laptop speakers so far and despite that it sounded fking great, can't wait to get the album and hear it loud through my phat system.

Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  02:51:46  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, bluefinger is annoying me now.

i gave it another break, almost a week, but still wake up every morning with songs ringing in my head, usually lolita, sometimes captain pasty etc...

artists who put down material this good have a lot to answer for. there should be health warnings, or some kind of after care support...
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1013 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  03:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mattb

Based on what people are saying I'm incredibly excited to hear this. I've despised everything he has done after Teenager of the Year.

IMO, don't be too excited if you expect an album like TOTY. despite what all people are saying, i don't see much similarities. but that's just me.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

frankoholic
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  03:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what's so good in being a frank black fan is that when a record starts to wear off, a new one is in the store. I just ordered a copy of 93-03. And bluefinger won't wear off for a couple of months. I sure hope a record with grand duchy is in the making and I can't wait to hear the project with EDF. Oh jeah and of course a new Pixies album. So much to look forward to.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  04:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still living off BF daily. Can't clean it out of my system.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  08:03:01  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

quote:

IMO, don't be too excited if you expect an album like TOTY. despite what all people are saying, i don't see much similarities. but that's just me.

it's not just you, two reelers, it's fact.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  11:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

quote:

it's not just you, two reelers, it's fact.

Well at least it's a bit more beatlish, a bit less 100% american than almost everything he did after TOTY. I think the come back of that taste of english pop rock (call it Smiths, call it Beatles, whatever...) is what makes people say it sounds TOTY.
The good thing is that it is also Subbtle Jazzy Soul like the Tiven Albums and Neil Young like the Catholics. You've got every side of FB in it, but it's a BF album !
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  12:49:59  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know what it is but for some reason i love reading your posts.

My slight TOTY comparison is the feeling I had from a handful of Bluefinger tracks. The over zealous feeling of an almighty "Yes! Yes! Yes!" from deep inside bursting out from the top to the toe. Substituting my steering wheel for a drum.
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  07:43:55  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankoholic

what's so good in being a frank black fan is that when a record starts to wear off, a new one is in the store. I just ordered a copy of 93-03. And bluefinger won't wear off for a couple of months. I sure hope a record with grand duchy is in the making and I can't wait to hear the project with EDF. Oh jeah and of course a new Pixies album. So much to look forward to.

\so much to live for..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000