Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  01:10:16  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yup, i could understand people being put off my original point by the word polish. For some strange reason, a few of these songs made me think of the tonal quality of Alec Eiffel, specially the repeated refrain that ends it. Completely random i know, but i can't help thinking it would suit...
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  01:35:09  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

I don't think it sounds anything like Doolittle, it just gives me that same feeling, like I never want it to leave my car.

I wonder if the Dan is one of the Band Of Dans that make up They Might Be Giants live band. All the other musicians for the last several years of live shows have been named Dan.

== jeffamerica ==

They were all Dans until Hickey left and Marty Beller replaced him on drums. And actually, that was one of the first things I thought of, just having the name "Dan" to go off of. But after hearing it I can't hear any similarities in the playing/style. But it is a small world. Though I thought I read the Dan and Jason's last names somewhere.

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  03:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, me neither really, but when he just put "Dan" the first thing I thought of too was the Band Of Dans.

I loved how when they ended the show, John would point around the stage and go "John, John, Dan, Dan, Dan, Good Night!"

And then I got John Flansburg to sign the setlist. Heh. But I'm off topic as usual.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  04:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

quote:
Originally posted by frankoholic

If there is a 'please don't pollish bleufinger' petition, I'll be glad to sign it. This is the way a honest rock album should sound like. Is this raw? I don't even think so. (Almost) Everything else you hear on the radio is just extremely overproduced.

"Honest rock album" ?
But FB's compositions are not only honest, they're sofisticated and wildly poetic. Sometimes the production doesnt reach the level of both his poetry and his song structures and melodies.
It feels like a western filmed with a mobile phone.
Of course Bluefinger is not like that but it could be a bit more "widescreen".
(I'm not a production freak, it could work with just one microphone for other songs like Violet or like Raiderman on FRMR)

See, but I love it so much just how it sounds. I've recorded about...100 songs or so, and some albums. But I considered myself more of a producer. "How do you want the rock to sound?"

My favorite album I recorded was of my own band, and my goal was to make the album sound like we did in practice in a soundproofed garage. I think those moments of pure ridiculously loud and reverb-free bliss are among my favorites. It's pretty hard to capture the feeling of sound wave coming out of amps at decibel levels that rock your ass off.

To me, Bluefinger captures that intimate, "you're there in the room" sound. I don't want it polished. I love how the bass is mixed so high that it rattles your teeth.

I don't think it's under produced at all. It's exactly as it's meant to be. Intimate and engaging.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  04:53:48  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Come september I expect we'll all get what we're given and love it anyway...
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to it for the umpteenth time now, and loving it. The official release isn't for several months, and I've already gotten so much enjoyment out of it.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  09:43:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it sounds great, just my 2 cents
not demo-quality at all. I listen to GBV and Sebadoh and Smog and more
of those Lo-Fi-classics and I think they sound great too. It's not always
about sonic quality, it can add something, just like tape-hiss can add something
to the greatness of music, but it's all about the songs. I believe these songs
are great in a minimal productional setting

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  10:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

See, but I love it so much just how it sounds. I've recorded about...100 songs or so, and some albums. But I considered myself more of a producer. "How do you want the rock to sound?"

My favorite album I recorded was of my own band, and my goal was to make the album sound like we did in practice in a soundproofed garage. I think those moments of pure ridiculously loud and reverb-free bliss are among my favorites. It's pretty hard to capture the feeling of sound wave coming out of amps at decibel levels that rock your ass off.

To me, Bluefinger captures that intimate, "you're there in the room" sound. I don't want it polished. I love how the bass is mixed so high that it rattles your teeth.

I don't think it's under produced at all. It's exactly as it's meant to be. Intimate and engaging.

== jeffamerica ==

Ok, I'll shut up next because anyway it will be a good album.
But when you talk about that "you're there in the room" feeling, I just think it would be an appropriate feeling for an intimate album, like Leonard Cohen or Jonatham Richman, not so much for an ambitious, epic and mysterious concept album with complex compositions and themes. But you know, after all, why not ? It's just not an evident choice to be simple and sofisticated at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  22:20:11  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, but it seems to me like it's mostly about what's going in inside Brood's head, which may well be epic and mysterious, but it wouldn't have much reberv. It's a very small space.

I could have easily been a huge and elaborate production, but I like its relative smallness. I like these kind of intimate albums. I also really like being able to hear the guitar sound so clearly without a bunch of extra stuff covering it up.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

frankoholic
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  23:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, considering his life there might have been some serious echo inside Brood's head.

Elaborate productions always seem to bore me after a while. That's why I prefer BLD over the orangello album, even if I don't think the songs are better.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  13:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to wait until September, but I can't stop reading everyone's opinions about the new album. I haven't seen this much praise for a FB album since Dog in the Sand. Is it really as good as people are saying it is?
I've noticed that people tend to prase the first half of the album more, is it because the first part of the album is much more rocking than the second half? Or does Bluefinger lose it's consistancy towards the end?
And any word on the album cover? Is it really going to be an Herman Brood painting?
I can do this. Just four months away. Four months. Four
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  13:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first half rocks harder, yes. Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't say any part of the album is *better* than any other part.

I admire your virtue, velvety.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  13:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coastline's right, velvety. The entire album is as good as they are saying it is!
Will velvety make it to release date without giving in to temptation? Stay tuned.

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  14:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It really is as good as people are saying it is. And if you're read all the spoilers it should be quite satisfying. Even the less rocking songs have a completely different style from the recent Nashville stuff.

Obviously the more rockin/catchy songs stand out at first, but as with most of his stuff, you realize just how good the songs you overlooked the first time around are.

The other thing to note is that all the songs are about 3 minutes or less, except for "Angels Come To Comfort You" which has an extended ending that makes it longer. Point being that the "slower" songs aren't long enough to bore you even if you like the rockier ones better. There nothing that really makes you want to skip ahead, IMO.

"It's all killer...no filler"

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  16:07:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's that good. All the way through. A good deal better than DITS, too, even though DITS was awesome.

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/26/2007 16:08:15
Go to Top of Page

Noah Nelson
- FB Fan -

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  16:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know his name ain't Dan, but the drums on Captain Pasty sound an awful lot like Dave Grohl to me. Just on that song though, which is odd but, whatever.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  17:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having read the speculation that 'Jason and Dan' are part of 'Tiven's NYC Punk contacts' that FB had expressed a wish to record with in future , I'd love it if it turned out that Jon Tiven had produced the record.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  17:16:48  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys, what is Frank uttering at the beginning of Mouth? "Hey big guy"? No. What is it then?
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  18:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like he says 'Hey! Where you going?' then does that really infectious laugh, i can't help but smile every time i hear it. It's almost like you want to look over your shoulder to see who he is talking to, you kind of feel like you're there in the room for a second.
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  19:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is another great aspect of BF: minimally studio produced but with this live-to-two-tracks feeling in the background Frank loved so much. Raw but not gooey. Cooked but still fresh. Euh... fait mais pas trop?

I don't remember (and I am too lazy to check) if the lyrics to Mouth were posted. Now I do interpret it as if the narrator was personifying alcool or dope who's telling the ingestor how it took control of his/her life.

Discothèque 36 has one of the finest melody FB has written. My teenage daughter got into it immediately. On that same note, my other, younger, teenage daughter is buying into DITS (The Swimmer) quite a bit, between 2 hip hop numbers. That's a weird combination but I'm sooo proud of her anyway. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  00:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a couple of 'days off' from it and would recommend to anyone who listens every day to try this. It hits you really strongly when you return to it and every track seems even better than before. Also I noticed things I hadn't picked up on before like the octave lower harmony in Lolita's chorus, simple but brilliant. I know it's hard but try it - have a break from Bluefinger, it's worth it.

Does anyone agree with me that the screaming on 'You Can't Break A Heart And Have It' is possibly his most thrilling ever, certainly up there with 'Tame'?

Godspeed
Go to Top of Page

frankoholic
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  01:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me Tame is one of the most groundbreaking songs in rockhistory. I't a statement, you can't go any further than that.
What I love about Bluefinger is the return of that good ol' opposite: piggish squeeling vs soft female melodies.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  05:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

Just had a couple of 'days off' from it and would recommend to anyone who listens every day to try this. It hits you really strongly when you return to it and every track seems even better than before. Also I noticed things I hadn't picked up on before like the octave lower harmony in Lolita's chorus, simple but brilliant. I know it's hard but try it - have a break from Bluefinger, it's worth it.

Does anyone agree with me that the screaming on 'You Can't Break A Heart And Have It' is possibly his most thrilling ever, certainly up there with 'Tame'?

Godspeed

I've had about a week off, after listening to it an absurd number of times over the past month. I didn't realize I hadn't listen to it until I was checking the "Hey! Where you going?" part at the beginning of "Your Mouth Into Mine" (since it came up in this thread), and I noticed how cool the whole intro to this song is. There is a sort of building of energy at the beginning of the song, culminating in the first line that FB sings. I hadn't noticed that before, so yeah, it's good to take a little time off -- it does help you notice new things.

Oh, and as for the screaming on this song, yeah, it's great. "Tame" is great that way, too. But maybe my favorite screaming ever has been on a couple versions of "Nadine" where he really seemed to lose his mind in the second half of the song (the bootleg from Saskatchewan last year is one of those versions). The album version of that song is so tame. I'm glad he lets loose when he does it live, especially with a full band.

Sorry to go off-topic there.

Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  05:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder whether Frank recorded the guitar and vocals simultaniously on this record? Some of it sounds like it was recorded 'live' by the whole band but i guess that can just be the production that makes it sound that way (i mean that as a compliment to whoever is responsible). I tried figuring out a couple of songs on my new guitar and i find it quite mindblowing that someone could do both at the same time. Frank is obviously a genious and a great guitarist, but songs like Captain Pasty are so damn fiddly i can't imagine that anyone could play it so well and sing at the same time. The chords are no problem, it's just the pace and timing in the chorus, it's like you need almost total independace of hands and mind, crazy.

Edited by - 2Strings on 04/27/2007 05:51:21
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  08:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know YOU CAN'T BREAK A HEART AND HAVE IT is very important to the concept of the album...being it is written by the main character of the story...but I could do without it. Not crazy about it in the least. The rest of the album is wonderful. After having listened to it non-stop for a month now, I will say this: not that DITS, DW, BLD, SMYT, HC, or FMRM are bad albums, but I could easily forget them and believe that BLUEFINGER picks up right after PISTOLERO. I could forget all the rest and believe that BLUEFINGER is Frank's 6th album. It's that good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  08:19:44  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I really don't get the 'GREATEST FB ALBUM' laurels, but I do like this album. Its just something seems missing for me! I also took a break from it and came back loving it more (that always works with FB's albums, they do need to seep).

But I just don't get the huge 'payoffs' on Bluefinger as consistently as I get from TONY, DITS, and even SMYT or BLD in some parts.

Anyway, just sayin. The album does rock, and does have some signaure FB moves in it, but I'm not as over the moon as some people here are. Maybe with more time?
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  09:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

I really don't get the 'GREATEST FB ALBUM' laurels, but I do like this album. Its just something seems missing for me! I also took a break from it and came back loving it more (that always works with FB's albums, they do need to seep).

But I just don't get the huge 'payoffs' on Bluefinger as consistently as I get from TONY, DITS, and even SMYT or BLD in some parts.

Anyway, just sayin. The album does rock, and does have some signaure FB moves in it, but I'm not as over the moon as some people here are. Maybe with more time?

Actually, TONY is the best FB album.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  09:30:38  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ahem. TOTY.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  10:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

I know YOU CAN'T BREAK A HEART AND HAVE IT is very important to the concept of the album...being it is written by the main character of the story...but I could do without it. Not crazy about it in the least.

For today, at least, I think I agree with this assessment, Brian. I go back and forth on all things FB, but at least for the moment, I gotta say I could almost do without this song. Sonically, it doesn't quite work for me, esepcially where it's placed in the tracklist. Still, it IS important to the Brood concept, so it needs to be there. I just skip it half the time when I listen to the album.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really didn't like it when I first heard it; I guess I appreciate it more, knowing that it is a cover. It's certainly grown on me.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  09:05:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gotta go the other way on "You Can't Break a Heart..." I think it totally kicks ass and really brings everything towards the conclusion. Great lyrics, great performance, great screaming. Great.

Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  17:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a big fan of that song either. Find it a bit annoying, actually. Perhaps with quite some more punch...

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  22:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

I really didn't like it when I first heard it; I guess I appreciate it more, knowing that it is a cover. It's certainly grown on me.

Yeah, and you really have to watch the Herman Brood live version. That makes it much better when you see that he's totally copying the backup singer style directly from the live act.

Did he only play this song live? I couldn't find it on any Herman Brood album.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  01:17:35  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had my MP3 player set to random, and when Threshold Apprehension came on, it really stood out and grabbed me. Was fantastic. It's easily up there in my top 10 FB songs of all time.

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyhelperband http://www.myspace.com/imnimrodsson
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  04:21:31  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

I gotta go the other way on "You Can't Break a Heart..." I think it totally kicks ass and really brings everything towards the conclusion. Great lyrics, great performance, great screaming. Great.

Yeah, I agree, this was the first song I listened to on the album and it really made me feel that "yeah, the man is back". The screaming is really fantastic, up there with the tame brixton video which is on youtube.

----------------------------------------
it is a wretched life and vanity is repulsive

www.myspace.com/thesexymistakes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000