Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  05:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, I am really falling in love with this album. It's definately a grower though. When I first heard it, Cpt Pasty, Threshold Apprehension, and Tight Black Rubber hooked me right away. I spend a few days thinking 'Well those three songs are fucking great, but the rest is just average.' A week later and the other songs have really hit me. I love this album. Frank / Black Francis... whatever, the man is back on form and I am loving it. Every song, even 'She took all the money.' I wrote last week that I could never like that song, but I think it's cool.

There are definately some songs which Violet is supposed to be Kim though... if I didn't know better I'd think it was Kim.

After the extremely patchy FMRM, this is just fucking great!

Because your candle burned too bright, that I almost forgot it was twilight
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was posted in another thread, but it bears repeating, because it's confirmation about a number of things, including the album being about Herman Brood:

http://www.cookingvinyl.com/press/d/4005-1/Threshold+Apprehension+PR.doc

BLACK FRANCIS
to release new track “Threshold Apprehension”
as digital download on 7th May
followed by 7” single/download bundle on 28th May

Black Francis has announced that he will be releasing a brand new track “Threshold Apprehension” on Monday 7th May. Taken from his forthcoming Bluefinger album (due for release in September), the track will initially be available as a digital download, before being released as a limited edition 7” single and a digital download bundle on Monday 25th May (other tracks tbc).

Of the new material, Black Francis says: “Bluefinger: someone from Zwolle, Netherlands … So I used a couple of Herman Brood's painting titles for songs of my own for my new record Bluefinger. Herman Brood, the great Dutch rocker, painter, and famous junkie, who completed his journey in that great rock and roll suicide when he jumped off the Amsterdam Hilton a few years ago, was born in Zwolle. Up there on the hill, above the cows, Herman Brood descended and for 54 years lived and walked among us. I have my own impressions as to what his painting Threshold Apprehension was all about. My song Threshold Apprehension has nothing to do with the painting except that it, and my record Bluefinger, has everything to do with my impressions of Herman Brood.”

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it was a painting. Not as famous as "Your mouth into mine" I guess.
This is the first oficial comment, not crypted at all. Interisting when he says it's "impressions" and not a chronological biography. That's why the songs are so good: there are no limits or conventions of a chronological story. It makes me think of some of these recent movies (like "transit") that show a dead person and his life in a weird dreamy way.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the current tracklisting is what will be on the album. I've always thought "Angels Come to Comfort You" would make the most sense as the first song -- because it sets the stage so well for the album being about Brood -- but then again, I'm not the guy who created the album, and he might possibly have a better sense for what he wants than I do.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:29:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ohhh digital bundle...wonder what's in it. The entire album would make sense, it would catch some hype from the leak if you know what I mean.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:33:29  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
interesting that cooking vinyl puts the link to frankblack.net at the bottom of the press release, seeing as its fairly likely that clicking that link helps you to find the entire album immediately as opposed to September.... deliberate?
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart(...)After the extremely patchy FMRM, this is just fucking great!

Patchy??!! Wow. I really like FMRM. It must be Frank's most underrated album ever. Very unfair.

Edited by - lucmove on 04/12/2007 16:31:39
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I wonder if the current tracklisting is what will be on the album. I've always thought "Angels Come to Comfort You" would make the most sense as the first song -- because it sets the stage so well for the album being about Brood -- but then again, I'm not the guy who created the album, and he might possibly have a better sense for what he wants than I do.

I actually like Captain Pasty as the first song, it has a kind of 'well.... here we go' vibe to it. I don't know if the song is meant to be about Brood's introduction to the world as a fast living rock'n roll monster, but that's what it seems like to me. Maybe i am taking the chorus too literally but it's like, 'don't take your eyes off me cause i'm not here for long and i have a lot to say and do'. I do really love Angels though, it might be my favourite track at the moment.

Edited by - 2Strings on 04/12/2007 16:34:25
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder if the current tracklisting is what will be on the album. I've always thought "Angels Come to Comfort You" would make the most sense as the first song

No way. The current double straight punch is a perfect opening.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:35:22  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, I know we're trying to move away from this, but as I listen to Bluefinger and think about that far off September release date, I can't help but be a little worried. Clearly this album is great, and if anything he's done since the pixies has comercial potential, this is it, primarily because the right reviews will compare this to Pixies and encourage Pixie fans but non-FB fans to go pick it up. All good, but here's the problem. If Bluefinger gets some good buzz going early, like it already is, people may do a little curious research and they don't have to look far to find the full album that was leaked. By the time September rolls around, you've got potentially thousands of lost sales due to that early leak. It could turn out to be a mere drop in the bucket though, just something I was thinking about. I've got the leak, but I'll buy the May 7 Threshold download, and the single, and the album when it comes out.

Why is there always such a slow turnaround in the music industry between recording and release? What happened to the good old days when artist's could pump out two or three records a year? Did you know John Lennon's "Instant Karma" was written and recorded in one day, pressed, and released in one week?

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Sorry guys, I know we're trying to move away from this, but as I listen to Bluefinger and think about that far off September release date, I can't help but be a little worried. Clearly this album is great, and if anything he's done since the pixies has comercial potential, this is it, primarily because the right reviews will compare this to Pixies and encourage Pixie fans but non-FB fans to go pick it up. All good, but here's the problem. If Bluefinger gets some good buzz going early, like it already is, people may do a little curious research and they don't have to look far to find the full album that was leaked. By the time September rolls around, you've got potentially thousands of lost sales due to that early leak. It could turn out to be a mere drop in the bucket though, just something I was thinking about. I've got the leak, but I'll buy the May 7 Threshold download, and the single, and the album when it comes out.

Why is there always such a slow turnaround in the music industry between recording and release? What happened to the good old days when artist's could pump out two or three records a year? Did you know John Lennon's "Instant Karma" was written and recorded in one day, pressed, and released in one week?

To be honest i don't think the leak will have much of a negative impact on sales, i think that nowadays you just have 2 groups of people, those who buy and those who don't. I know people who have not bought CD's for like 4-5 years or so and may never buy another CD ever again, it sucks but it's an unfortunate side effect of widespread fast internet access. Even if the album had not leaked, you can bet that it would be available online a few hours after it went on sale in stores.

I completely understand your worry and i really hope this album sells well also, as Frank just never dissapoints his fans and anyone who has such a talent as he does deserves a lot of reward for their lifes efforts. Bottom line is, you can only be responsible for your own actions, not anyone elses. So buy the album, love it, and you will have done everything possible to pay Frank back.

The slow turnaround in the music industry puzzles me also, i can only guess that there is a lot of legal crap to get done before you release a record nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bit on interesting info has entered into my inbox: I have it on (very) good authority that these songs were never intended for the Pixies to record. Strictly an FB project. I never really thought it was, but i know many listeners have assumed so - just thought i'd pass that along.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did they tell you if the Pixies are going to record a new album?

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  17:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They did not say anything about that.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  17:54:09  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I never thought this album had anything to do with the Pixies, but I bet the moment Kim hears/heard it, a Pixies album may seem a lot more plausable to her. I think the attitude and atmosphere is there. But I don't think Frank made the album as means convince anyone he can still rock the punk. I just think it's its own entity, perfectly legitimate unto itself. It doesn't seem to need any justification for being made, if that makes any sense. It just IS a fan-fucking-tastic album.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

Blank_Frackis
- FB Fan -

55 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  20:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Blank_Frackis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2Strings

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

To be honest i don't think the leak will have much of a negative impact on sales, i think that nowadays you just have 2 groups of people, those who buy and those who don't. I know people who have not bought CD's for like 4-5 years or so and may never buy another CD ever again, it sucks but it's an unfortunate side effect of widespread fast internet access. Even if the album had not leaked, you can bet that it would be available online a few hours after it went on sale in stores.

I completely understand your worry and i really hope this album sells well also, as Frank just never dissapoints his fans and anyone who has such a talent as he does deserves a lot of reward for their lifes efforts. Bottom line is, you can only be responsible for your own actions, not anyone elses. So buy the album, love it, and you will have done everything possible to pay Frank back.

The slow turnaround in the music industry puzzles me also, i can only guess that there is a lot of legal crap to get done before you release a record nowadays.

Alternatively you could say that the internet has made it possible to get past the slow turnaround that's associated with record sales. Personally I don't buy many CD's anymore, I've never understood the moral outrage that we're supposed to feel because record companies were there to provide a service (to distribute music) and now that service has become to a certain extent obsolete. If they no longer provide a service then they have no moral claim to receive a profit.

What's usually stated is the subplot in all of this which is that artists stand to lose some revenue, but this applies primarily to large artists and I've heard Frank say several times in interviews that downloading actually helps him more than it hurts him due to the somewhat cultish/small scale following he has. Not to mention that if artists did decide to distribute their music over the internet they could make a much larger profit than they ever could through a record company. Personally I think the fact that he's releasing Threshold Apprehension as a limited edition 7" tells you all you need to know about how much revenue Frank's looking to make from record sales. CD's, like vinyl before them, are fast becoming something you buy for aesthetic reasons rather than the function they perform and I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with that.

If time's a drug then Big Ben's a giant needle injecting it into the sky.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  20:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucmove

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart(...)After the extremely patchy FMRM, this is just fucking great!

Patchy??!! Wow. I really like FMRM. It must be Frank's most underrated album ever. Very unfair.

Just my opinion mate. Don't get me wrong, there are songs on that album that I really love. The first half of FM is absolutely brilliant but towards the end the songs don't do anything for me. In terms of RM, there are only a couple of songs I like on that disc. Maybe it's just the style of music I don't like. I am just happy that Frank has decided to write a more rockin' album again as the country stuff he does is not as much to my taste.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  21:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not big on FMRM either, but I should point out that it's not a "Fast Man" disc and a "Raider Man" disc. Both those songs are on the first disc. Anyhow, I like the second disc slightly more than the first, but I can't say I like either very much. Ironically, I'm listening to the whole album right now for the first time in months. I keep thinking that someday it will click for me. Sadly, today is not the day. As I write this, "End of the Summer" is on. Ugh. Could this possibly be the same guy who does "Threshold Apprehension"? (They're, we're back on topic.)

Edited by - coastline on 04/12/2007 21:22:50
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  21:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
farts!
i don't hear Threshold Apprehension.
this damn compewters given me the blues.

Signature checkbox
checked by default?
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  22:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not big on FMRM either, but I should point out that it's not a "Fast Man" disc and a "Raider Man" disc. Both those songs are on the first disc. Anyhow, I like the second disc slightly more than the first, but I can't say I like either very much. Ironically, I'm listening to the whole album right now for the first time in months. I keep thinking that someday it will click for me. Sadly, today is not the day. As I write this, "End of the Summer" is on. Ugh. Could this possibly be the same guy who does "Threshold Apprehension"? (They're, we're back on topic.)

Sorry, that's what I meant. I am sure that this has been said before but I just can't help feeling that one disc of all the best songs would have been a great album. Two cd's waters down the greatness of the great songs.

It took me 2-3 years to fully appreciate Cult of Ray. I now think this is a work of genius.. but not very accessible to the average listener. Maybe the same will happen with FMRM, who knows.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. I will always get Frank's work as he is one of my fave songwriters... and all the best songwriters have their great / not so great stuff... take Bowie and Neil Young for example.

Anyway, back to Bluefinger, which is just consistently great. Didn't get drunk in the end last night, but being Friday I will tonight and get a listen to Bluefinger after 5-6 pints of Guiness.

Edited by - Stuart on 04/12/2007 22:58:39
Go to Top of Page

dslator
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  00:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having listened to Bluefinger it sounds a bit raw so i'm assuming their demos. Also the album is only thirty odd minutes long which is a bit short for a proper album.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  00:58:23  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's 39 minutes actually, I think it's pretty good. The first Ramones album is under 30'.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  01:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's all killer... no filler...

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  01:45:38  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
39 mins is an album for sure

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  02:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dslator

Having listened to Bluefinger it sounds a bit raw so i'm assuming their demos. Also the album is only thirty odd minutes long which is a bit short for a proper album.

It's a lot less raw than, say, Pistolero. If they are demos they're bloody good ones!

GoDsPeEd
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  02:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Anyone know what the ratio of originals to covers is? You Can't Break A Heart And Have It is a cover isn't it? The others are original FB/BF tunes I assume.

What about any out-takes that didn't make the final 11 ~ would there be any?

Herman Brood live: You Can't Break A Heart And Have It.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObtaJLekSs

GoDsPeEd
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  02:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blank_Frackis

Alternatively you could say that the internet has made it possible to get past the slow turnaround that's associated with record sales. Personally I don't buy many CD's anymore, I've never understood the moral outrage that we're supposed to feel because record companies were there to provide a service (to distribute music) and now that service has become to a certain extent obsolete. If they no longer provide a service then they have no moral claim to receive a profit.

What's usually stated is the subplot in all of this which is that artists stand to lose some revenue, but this applies primarily to large artists and I've heard Frank say several times in interviews that downloading actually helps him more than it hurts him due to the somewhat cultish/small scale following he has. Not to mention that if artists did decide to distribute their music over the internet they could make a much larger profit than they ever could through a record company. Personally I think the fact that he's releasing Threshold Apprehension as a limited edition 7" tells you all you need to know about how much revenue Frank's looking to make from record sales. CD's, like vinyl before them, are fast becoming something you buy for aesthetic reasons rather than the function they perform and I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with that.

Oh i agree with you about the benefits of internet distribution, as long as it is directly of benefit to the artist through digital purchase/download. I was just talking about records only available in physical format from stores being pirated and put up on torrent sites etc...

My point is that any method of delivery is ok, so long as you pay for it.

Edited by - 2Strings on 04/13/2007 02:42:57
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  03:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Anyone know what the ratio of originals to covers is? You Can't Break A Heart And Have It is a cover isn't it? The others are original FB/BF tunes I assume.

What about any out-takes that didn't make the final 11 ~ would there be any?

Herman Brood live: You Can't Break A Heart And Have It.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObtaJLekSs

GoDsPeEd

I know it's hard to read all the 13 pages, but it's the third time it gest posted...
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  03:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, I did look but didn't see it.

GoDsPeEd
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  04:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It still rocks, though.

Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  04:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2Strings

quote:
Originally posted by Blank_Frackis

Oh i agree with you about the benefits of internet distribution, as long as it is directly of benefit to the artist through digital purchase/download. I was just talking about records only available in physical format from stores being pirated and put up on torrent sites etc...

My point is that any method of delivery is ok, so long as you pay for it.

These posters make a good point.

What I would like to add is that as this is an album that has been 'leaked' and seemingly everyone has got a copy somehow, will the people who have the 'leaked' version also buy said album when it is officially released?
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  05:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you can pretty much guarantee that everyone on this forum who has the leaked version of Bluefinger will buy at least one copy when it's released. I'd be pretty disappointed if someone didn't.

When you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  06:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

These posters make a good point.

What I would like to add is that as this is an album that has been 'leaked' and seemingly everyone has got a copy somehow, will the people who have the 'leaked' version also buy said album when it is officially released?

I've already promised to buy at least five copies.

I love "Lolita" today. Someone mentioned the drums and the 'hey' at the beginning of it so I listened again (and again and again). I finally got the timing of the 'hey' right so I could sing along. It took several tries!

I think this song would be so much fun live! I can imagine people clapping along... I hope that's something I'll get to see this year.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  06:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, johnnyribcage....
I was thinking about what you said (SHarts). Now, when I listen to "Your Mouth Into Mine" that makes me giggle every time! You're right, it is funny! Why'd you do that to me?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  07:06:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dslator

yes, I know what you mean except that it's the best record in ages and that it just finishes in time

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000