Page: of 24

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misterwoe

One more thing: if we're not nice to each other, Charles may take back all those leaked copies of Bluefinger.
I'll be by the pool, playing with my guns.

That would be the best! Charles can come over to my house anytime and take whatever he wants!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wonder what violet's role was in the making of bluefinger? she's an art curator so i wonder if she introduced frank to herman's artwork.

i listened to bluefinger non stop at work today. then when i went in the car i put a copy of bluefinger on. i'm listening to bluefinger right now.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  20:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Randolph speaks the truth. I wonder wonder wonder what Charles thinks of all this magnificent wonder ful praise of an album not yet acknowledged other than a brief babbled hint?

Sans the Drunk Thread I might as well knock this out...

Having loved most/liked some of HC & FM/RM I do feel that Bluefinger has whatever the hell it is that may have been missing since Smyts. I honestly haven't rocked out with such purpose in years. As far as all the Pixies/FB talk surrounding it, It's a beautiful thing. I think the best song on the album is Lolita and that's more indicative of the last five years more so than the Pixies or early Frank. Having said that however, Charles really knocks out the punkier tunes. In my ears at least, it's like slipping on an old pair of boxing gloves. Perfect Fit. sorry to r am ble.

oh and yeah the Bradbury interview was fecking incredible.

-Tom

"Praise is like ambergris; a little whiff of it, by snatches, is very agreeable; but when a man holds a whole lump of it to his nose, it is a stink and strikes you down." [Pope, c.1720]

Edited by - martha_promise on 04/09/2007 20:38:07
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  00:58:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I liked HC & FM/RM, they were so close to perfect in some way and in another they just didn't click like the Catholics records. Bluefinger clicks, insanely I might add

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  03:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting thought about how Violet's expertise might have inspired this.

I love the idea of FB coming round everyone's houses, forcibly taking back Bluefinger.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  04:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this has been asked a few times but who are the musicians on Bluefinger?
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  04:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm thinking (and i may be totally wrong) that bluefinger was leaked intentionally early on...way before the official release date. to the common music listener it takes a much longer time to fully appreciate the greatness of a frank black album. this way there is more time for the album to generate buzz and be distributed to many different music communities for discussion. i'm thinking when bluefinger comes out it will be one of frank's strongest sellers out of the gate.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  04:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this romantic idea that the statue of Herman Brood is what led to this album. In "Angels Come to Comfort You," he starts off the song by saying he saw the statue, and then tells the tale, as if that's what inspired it. But yeah, Violet surely could have helped, being an art curator and all. I wonder if they've got any Brood paintings. I want one! I want one!

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  04:51:58  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

i'm thinking (and i may be totally wrong) that bluefinger was leaked intentionally early on...way before the official release date. to the common music listener it takes a much longer time to fully appreciate the greatness of a frank black album. this way there is more time for the album to generate buzz and be distributed to many different music communities for discussion. i'm thinking when bluefinger comes out it will be one of frank's strongest sellers out of the gate.

This is a goot fauking point, mon.

I'll be by the pool, playing with my guns.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  05:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also i think (total speculation) that the album will have some amazing artwork (either herman's or a tribute to him) and therefore everyone with a leaked copy will HAVE to go out and buy the album.

Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  05:39:44  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the other hand, perhaps BF is furious with the leak. He did delete all his related posts and bugger off completely at prety much exactly the time the leak became apparent. Maby were in the dog house cos it got spread on this board. Or perhaps just to busy with the Pixies; does he usually post while on tour?
Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  06:49:33  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what guitar/amp Mr Thompson used on Bluefinger? I think I'm hearing a Telecaster and a Vox AC30, could be a AC50 though (I think he used two AC50 heads with two 2x12 Vox cabs with the Catholics).
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  07:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tofuescape

quote:

On the other hand, perhaps BF is furious with the leak. He did delete all his related posts and bugger off completely at prety much exactly the time the leak became apparent. Maby were in the dog house cos it got spread on this board. Or perhaps just to busy with the Pixies; does he usually post while on tour?

that is possible. however, i do not recall ever hearing frank say he is against downloading leaked music. his last 5 albums have all been leaked prior to official release. i remember with honeycomb, his producer, jon tiven was a bit upset at the leak for a little while, but i don't think frank really cared.

frank is the mystery man....he comes and goes in different shapes and forms...

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  07:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the fu's are enjoying a fantastic breakfast this morning while listening to they might be giants "here come the abc's" (e eats everything" is playing). little fu, (who happens to be born the exact same date as frank's little boy, jack thompson- jan.7 2005!), is loving her frozen blueberries. she normally eats them with a spoon but this morning she is using her hands. she's got blueberry juice all over her face and hands! so anyways, she turns to daddy and says... "DADDY....I HAVE BLUE FINGERS!!"

TRUE STORY

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  08:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldest said to me the other day, "I'm amazing! I work!" Another true story, though not as good as Fu's.

Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac E. Doobage

I know this has been asked a few times but who are the musicians on Bluefinger?

The same musicians who were on Frank's "Easterr"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:24:08  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When does a leak become a leak? I mean one guy maybe has a copy of a song or album prior to release (he has this with permission, he was involved in it), he passes it on to a mate, "check this out, what do you think?" - has it been leaked now? Or then that guy passes it on to another mate, "listen to this, it's quite good" - is it leaked now? ...

I've just re-read that, I sound stupid. Good.

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyhelperband http://www.myspace.com/imnimrodsson
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's officially leaked once it reaches me

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took a leak. Does that count?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  14:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles was using the double Vox head and cab arrangement on the tour last year, I believe. Marshalls with the Pixies, for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  20:45:04  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's just me, but on the last verse of You're Mouth Into Mine, where it has been decided (on this thread) that he says "Got into your parts and I, got into your charts and I", I would swear he says "Got into your parts and I, got into your SHarts and I". Listen again, it really sounds alot like "sharts". As far as I know, a shart is when a, well, a fart... well... goes bad. I'm probably wrong here, but give it one more listen... Got into your sharts... Great song regardless. Just funnier my way.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  07:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really think we need more Bluefinger threads.
This one is going in too many directions.
What does the leak things has to do with Bluefinger musical quality ?
And the lyrics understanding could be another one... at least.

Edited by - Grotesque on 04/11/2007 07:27:19
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  08:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A whole bunch of "Bluefinger" threads might be more appropriate once the album is released. But what do I know.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  11:35:32  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know, after spending a few days with this album and letting it sink in, I think I'll go out on a limb and state on record this is the best thing he's done in his solo career. If not the best, evenly tied.

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  11:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, back to the disc, enough about the inanity behind trying to undo what has already been done (i.e. the leak)

How about that drum fill opening to Lolita?!?! It's truly sublime, with the 'hey' placed just right. I dig it
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  12:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lolita probably has my favourite moment in the whole album - when he sings "turn your prayer wheel, and watch it go around". Not sure why, I just love it.

When you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  12:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Llama. I've been trying to figure out that line for a couple days. I thought it was "Gruyere wheel." You know, like the cheese. A wheel of cheese. But that made absolutely no sense.

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  13:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, it would make sense if Lolita was a mouse.

When you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  16:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what the ratio of originals to covers is? You Can't Break A Heart And Have It is a cover isn't it? The others are original FB/BF tunes I assume.

What about any out-takes that didn't make the final 11 ~ would there be any?

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm betting there are some outtakes floating around out there. This one is just too perfect. The length is just right, every song serves a purpose, no filler. Not that Frank has much filler normally, but he's certianly released some albums that could be tightened up with some editing. No, I'm thinking this one is the 180 of FMRM, whereas that had everything in there warts and all (and I bet there aren't any leftovers from that one) this just has the feel of a classic, that has been put together with that purpose.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  16:38:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just thought of something else though, when has frank ever been that big on editing his visions down? The man has said he can sit down and write a whole album at once before... It's entirely possible he's on such an upswing that he just knocked this together like nothing and that was it. Which is even cooler...

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  19:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shama-lama ding-dang! Oh me oh my!

That is all.

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  02:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He sounds more confident and self assured in his vocals than he has for years - in fact, they are fantastic performances. Maybe it's because on most songs he's singing in his higher register and he's more comfortable with that? I remember reading he was in a state of awe working with the old fellas on Honeycomb & FMRM - perhaps being free of that pressure has something to do with it, I don't know.

GoDsPeEd
Go to Top of Page

tofuescape
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  02:26:20  Show Profile  Visit tofuescape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this has been delt with already but: What does BF say in dutch at the begining of one of the songs and what does it mean (cant get my hands on the album to check which song right now)? its perhaps my favourite part of the album, and certainly the most camp part. Im hungover very badly so this post is a bit vauge.
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  04:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The intro to Angels? I think he says 'May i speak in English?' or words to that effect.

Edited by - 2Strings on 04/12/2007 04:52:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000