Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  01:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The one thing I don't like about Title TK is how freaking boring the drums are. I think the mood and lyrics of the albums are great, and it grew on me after initially not impressing me at all, but I still hate the drums.

Pacer is my favorite though. I think after Pacer, I was expecting much more of a full sound from the Breeders album, and it was this sparse, underproduced, cold album. It is a lot like Pod, I guess. You really do have to get over your expectations to like Title TK. After all the delays and rerecordings, expectations were high, and it's just not a very lively album. It takes some patience to like it.

== jeffamerica ==

-He played piano really fuckin' good.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  02:19:30  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
About six or seven years ago I talked to Kelley Deal about playing drums for them. I knew her bass player for The Kelley Deal 6000, and he recommended me. She told me to call her back in a month cause she was going off to do some recording with Kim in Florida or something like that, but I didn't have the guts to call her again. One of my biggest regrets, I'd have to say. I coulda been playing those drums! Sheesh. When I heard Title TK I remember thinking "yeah, he's a solid drummer, but I could have done that too." I suck. Totally off topic. Sorry. Jefrey's post got me thinking about it, though.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  03:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moksha23x
I don't think I can completely buy that there's no way 'Bluefinger' could be 'Pixies' material. When I think about the biographical concept I draw parrallells between Herman Brood and the pixies(Black Francis). In the recent past Frank Black talked about writing for the Pixies and the need to find his Pixies muse.....his Pixies muse would be a ressurection of 'Black Francis'. I remember hearing Frank Black talk of the "trompe La Monde" era (during a Q&A at a Frank Black & Roy Zimmerman show) as being a time where pixies were consuming lots of drugs and alcohol (heroin). Now if you could think of the Pixies and 'Black Francis' s demise being similar to the life of Herman Brood you could really see how this could be a 'Pixies' concept. To write 'Bluefinger' Frank Black had to find his Pixies muse 'Black Francis' who like Brood was deceased due to self-destruction. Did 'Frank Black' ressurect the Dutch legend to help inspire the ressurection of 'Black Francis' and the 'Pixies (muse). Black Francis, Pixies, Herman Brood were all underground legends, eccentric, drug indulgers, artists who self-destructed and preserved their legend in death. Death of the Pixies, Ressurected with the spirit of Herman Brood....?? of course this is speculation but what else do I do when I've a heard a year's worth of average listening to 'Bluefinger' in two weeks.

i like that idea moksha23x of the death to the pixies! this is a bit out there but i'll throw it out here anyway for some fun. (sorry that this a bit off topic.) i think everyone would agree that frank wants to make another pixies album and kim doesn't want to. i like kim and respect her opinion. however, frank's gonna do what frank's gonna do! and frank realizes he's gonna sell way more albums if it has a pixies name on the cover rather than frank black. plus it gives them a reason to keep touring and keep rolling in the bucks. frank's admitted that the pixies reunion was partly about money. good for him. he's a family man now and he's one of the hardest working musicians out there and if anyone deserves to make million's it's frank! nothing wrong with that. on his previous mog page i remember him making a comment/joke about replacing kim...would that really fly? i know the music would be great (and that's all that matters in my opinion) but some people would say the marketing would be quite difficult without kim in the band..... this summer he'll be touring in europe with joey! could dave be playing drums?? i don't know but it think that would be cool. frank's spent his whole career changes things up and that's one of the big reasons i'm drawn to his music.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"

Edited by - fumanbru on 04/07/2007 03:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  03:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

[quote][i]

The interesting line in the song is "Why'd she have to go and break our hearts?" Not sure whose hearts she broke. Maybe somebody who knows more about her can figure that out.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

I have always thought of that as breaking the hearts of the woman and the guy singing. ie just Herman and Nina, nobody else.

Scratching the surface without a purpose won't accomplish anything new

Upload your Frank photos here - fb.net gallery

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  04:18:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JefreyCoastline, what's the meaning of the song again? This album is so great if you know all the hidden trivia - I'd like to know.
Well, there's a mistake -- thinking I know anything. At any rate, Billgoodman, Llamadance and I have discussed this one in passing, and we think it's about Brood's girlfriend Nina Hagen. Nothing concrete, other than the story seems to fit, and she is from Germany, which the song makes several references to.

Here's the wiki for Nina Hagen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nina_Hagen

The interesting line in the song is "Why'd she have to go and break our hearts?" Not sure whose hearts she broke. Maybe somebody who knows more about her can figure that out.

Hmm. Yeah, so they were involved and shot a movie in 1979, and then in 1980 she's pregnant by another man and moves to Los Angeles. Sounds like there could have been some jealousy and heartbreak there.

== jeffamerica ==

Those two are not Herman and Nina playing in a movie, but the actors of Wild Romance, the Herman Brood movie, acting like Herman and Nina playing in the movie Cha-CHa.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  04:20:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pixies without Kim would not work for me
You just don't do that, out of respect.
Charles Thompson playing as Black Francis and backed by Joey is a lot like the Pixies,
but I rather call it something else (maybe Schwarma)

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  05:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re the lack of guitar solos issue: I personally welcome it, though some inventive/minimalistic Joey style additions would flesh out the songs brilliantly. Never been a fan of guitar solos per se, and some on previous albums (particularly Catholics era) just had the effect of making my heart sink (too much twiddly widdly 70's style playing for me).

Re new Pixies music: After Bluefinger I no longer really care whether it happens or not. This is what I've been hoping for for years (not that I don't love most output in the last 9 of them) and Pixies now seem redundant. Having said that I'm sure there'll be more musical twists and turns in the future that will leave us excited, confused, joyful, scratching our collective heads etc, etc.

All it adds up to is FB/BF being the the best artist on the planet.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  07:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hagen went put with Brood? I don't know her music, but I've herad of her.

"Hagen dubbed the voice of Sally in the German release of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas..."

Interesting.
Go to Top of Page

The King of Siam
- FB Fan -

Sweden
21 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  07:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! This is my first post on this magnificent forum.Don´t know why i never cared to register before, have been hangin´around for a few years just reading abouth all the good stuff FB does.But now with bluefinger, i just have to join!! It makes me wanna spin around just listening to it...it´s definately the best he has done in many years.
Have been a hardcore FB-fan since i first heard the pixies back in 1988.Saw them playing a fantastic gig in stockholm in 1989, FB solo in 1994,1996,1999 and 2001.But why can´t he show us a visit on his fortcoming tour? Has been such a long time since the last time.

Pardon me for my poor english...not used to write in english.

"Turn my f..king headphones up!"
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  07:45:13  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll play bass for The Pixies. Seriously. Charles, shoot me an email, and we'll talk.

I'll be by the pool, playing with my guns.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  07:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, TKoS.

Isn't it strange that this is gonna be the first Black Francis solo album?
Go to Top of Page

The King of Siam
- FB Fan -

Sweden
21 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  08:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but i personally think that Black Francis sounds better/harder than Frank Black.More kind of "hard rock"...

Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  08:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The King of Siam

Yeah, but i personally think that Black Francis sounds better/harder than Frank Black.More kind of "hard rock"...

I don't. Frank Black evolved and has done extremely well in most of his experimentation. Black Francis rocks, but is pretty much the same as 15 years ago. Although I enjoy both equally, Frank Black makes me a much prouder fan.

And the tedious Pixies-obsessed music press that is still living in 1992 may kiss my ass.

Edited by - lucmove on 04/07/2007 08:58:55
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That "Black Francis first solo album" is not very important because anyway we can hear clearly the links between Nadine and Test Pilot Blues (blues), Wanderlust and Angels (cabaret), I Want Rock N Roll and Patsy, Selkie Bride and the last part of Angels, Discotheque 36 and The Vanishing spies...
... and we could do the same with threshold apprehension and I've been tired, Subbacultcha and Black Tight Rubbert, Your mouth into mine and Bird dream of Olympus (the "ramones" chord progression in the chorus)
Anyway, I really like the "ALBUMS" page of the frankblack.net discography section: you've got all his stuff, pixies, solo, catholics, in just one page, and it makes much more sense like that. Was Trompe Le Monde the last pixies album or the first FB solo ? Nah, forget it, it's all the same guy anyway...
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Pasty, not Patsy, Grotesque. Patsy makes me think of Patsy Cline.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucmove

quote:

I don't. Frank Black evolved and has done extremely well in most of his experimentation. Black Francis rocks, but is pretty much the same as 15 years ago. Although I enjoy both equally, Frank Black makes me a much prouder fan.

And the tedious Pixies-obsessed music press that is still living in 1992 may kiss my ass.

I actually feel that Bluefinger generally has the punch of TOTY era Frank, but sounds a bit more mature-musically, lyrically and thematically. Oh and hi, BTW lucmove!

Edited by - Carl on 04/07/2007 09:24:39
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  09:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I usually think of Patsy Kensit. Maybe I'm just younger...

Hi, Carl!
Go to Top of Page

The King of Siam
- FB Fan -

Sweden
21 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  10:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I meant was that it sounds "harder" to say Black Francis than Frank Black...nothing abouth the music.

I still think that it´s the same genius behind both... ;)

Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  10:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

Wow,that's a big statement!
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  11:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucmove

quote:

I usually think of Patsy Kensit. Maybe I'm just younger...

Hi, Carl!

Oops yeah, sorry. Some english word are pure mumble jumble for french ears. Lucky i didnt write "panty". And "Paty" in argentina means hamburger.

Edited by - Grotesque on 04/07/2007 11:06:25
Go to Top of Page

2Strings
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  13:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Srisaket

quote:

But even in the subjective realm of music, it is a universal truth :)
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  13:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's a pretty common sentiment around here. Thankfully, I've never seen anyone berated for not being fan enough, but I'd say most of the regulars on this forum would pretty much say Frank is their favorite artist ever. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong? (I often am.)

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  18:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Those two are not Herman and Nina playing in a movie, but the actors of Wild Romance, the Herman Brood movie, acting like Herman and Nina playing in the movie Cha-CHa.

Yah, i thought they looked a little too healthy. Sorry about that. It was from a blog in Dutch, which I don't speak. Well, I can say "mag ik Engles spreken?"

== jeffamerica ==

Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  22:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a pretty common sentiment around here. Thankfully, I've never seen anyone berated for not being fan enough, but I'd say most of the regulars on this forum would pretty much say Frank is their favorite artist ever. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong? (I often am.)

Look I am not trying to pick a fight here, and I apologize to the original poster.

I replied because he made such a bold and unequivocal statement without prefacing it with “In my humble opinion” or suchlike. If his assertion was just restricted to ‘singer/songwriter’ then OK, but not ‘artist’.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  23:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been posted before-
You Can't Break A Heart And Have It:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObtaJLekSs

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  23:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been posted before, but everyone should watch it again anyway, for fashion tips.

== jeffamerica ==

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  01:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Look I am not trying to pick a fight here, and I apologize to the original poster.

I replied because he made such a bold and unequivocal statement without prefacing it with “In my humble opinion” or suchlike. If his assertion was just restricted to ‘singer/songwriter’ then OK, but not ‘artist’.

Of course it's a subjective statement, and as I was listening to Bluefinger at the time I think I can be forgiven for perhaps getting a little over excited. Yes, 'artist' covers a wide realm but I think it's pretty obvious what I meant - unless FB also paints, sculpts and writes plays to an exceptionally high level in his spare time.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  08:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dude, chill
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  13:52:18  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Internet. Serious Business

--
Got coffee, got donuts, got wasted...
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  14:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spunXtain

Internet. Serious Business

Seriously....
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  14:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

quote:
Originally posted by moksha23x
I don't think I can completely buy that there's no way 'Bluefinger' could be 'Pixies' material. When I think about the biographical concept I draw parrallells between Herman Brood and the pixies(Black Francis). In the recent past Frank Black talked about writing for the Pixies and the need to find his Pixies muse.....his Pixies muse would be a ressurection of 'Black Francis'. I remember hearing Frank Black talk of the "trompe La Monde" era (during a Q&A at a Frank Black & Roy Zimmerman show) as being a time where pixies were consuming lots of drugs and alcohol (heroin). Now if you could think of the Pixies and 'Black Francis' s demise being similar to the life of Herman Brood you could really see how this could be a 'Pixies' concept. To write 'Bluefinger' Frank Black had to find his Pixies muse 'Black Francis' who like Brood was deceased due to self-destruction. Did 'Frank Black' ressurect the Dutch legend to help inspire the ressurection of 'Black Francis' and the 'Pixies (muse). Black Francis, Pixies, Herman Brood were all underground legends, eccentric, drug indulgers, artists who self-destructed and preserved their legend in death. Death of the Pixies, Ressurected with the spirit of Herman Brood....?? of course this is speculation but what else do I do when I've a heard a year's worth of average listening to 'Bluefinger' in two weeks.

i like that idea moksha23x of the death to the pixies! this is a bit out there but i'll throw it out here anyway for some fun. (sorry that this a bit off topic.) i think everyone would agree that frank wants to make another pixies album and kim doesn't want to. i like kim and respect her opinion. however, frank's gonna do what frank's gonna do! and frank realizes he's gonna sell way more albums if it has a pixies name on the cover rather than frank black. plus it gives them a reason to keep touring and keep rolling in the bucks. frank's admitted that the pixies reunion was partly about money. good for him. he's a family man now and he's one of the hardest working musicians out there and if anyone deserves to make million's it's frank! nothing wrong with that. on his previous mog page i remember him making a comment/joke about replacing kim...would that really fly? i know the music would be great (and that's all that matters in my opinion) but some people would say the marketing would be quite difficult without kim in the band..... this summer he'll be touring in europe with joey! could dave be playing drums?? i don't know but it think that would be cool. frank's spent his whole career changes things up and that's one of the big reasons i'm drawn to his music.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"

Really its not that absurd of an idea to entertain. 'Bluefinger' is going to be released using a name that is being ressurected(Black Francis). The Man spoke of writing for the Pixies and the need to find that 'Pixies Muse' to really be able to write 'Pixies' material. If Frank Black searched and found his Pixies muse (Black Francis).....how did he find it? Possibly by ressurecting the spirit of Herman Brood. Obviously FB feels a connection with the man... and if he penned an Biographical concept album using the Black Francis signature after 15 some odd years.
Its no coincidence that ressurecting, in spirit, Herman Brood, while at the same time ressurecting 'Black Francis'.......
Reading and listening to Poetry, writing, song is all certainly a subjective endeavor......we all take something different from it, so no one is wrong with their interpretation. But really what a lot of us are wondering is where the artist is coming from......and I really don't think it is coincidental that 'Charles Frank Black Francis Thompson' ressurected both the spirit of Herman Brood and the Spirit of Black Francis at the same time.....seriously

Edited by - moksha23x on 04/08/2007 14:57:50
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  16:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't say I care one way or the other as to what name he releases his music under, he has his reasons which I guess we can speculate on. I'm just glad he's making music.

When you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  16:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

I can't say I care one way or the other as to what name he releases his music under, he has his reasons which I guess we can speculate on. I'm just glad he's making music.

Man.....You're really taking the higher road on this one. You must be what FBF calls an "UBER-FAN".

I'm only kidding ....I very much agree with you, "I'm just glad he's making music"........under whatever name.

But, I'd have to say the concept of the album 'Bluefinger' and the 'Black Francis' concept together as a single concept is still
interesting to me.....so I may continue to speculate on this here discussion

Edited by - moksha23x on 04/08/2007 16:32:44
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  14:58:38  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about Frank Francis? Or Black Black? As to that quiff that was going on above, it's official: Frank Black is the best artist in the world. I would know, I was an English major for FOUR years, and I have dude's guitar pick. Trompe le Monde, man. Trompe le Monde. (Now, where did I put my wig?)

Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:01:20  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One more thing: if we're not nice to each other, Charles may take back all those leaked copies of Bluefinger. Has he made any statements about the leak, by the way? He's either pissed, indifferent, or giggling with excitement because he hasn't stirred up this much action for awhile. It's as exciting as the Ray Bradbury interview. Remember the Ray Bradbury interview?

Edited by - misterwoe on 04/09/2007 15:05:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000