Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  14:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3.20 “Threshold, threshold, threshold, dih dah, dih dah, dih dah, dih dah, dih dah…”

I like to imagine the when he was writing the lyrics he wrote in the “dih dah‘s”

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  14:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chickenwithtwoheads

Isala is the ancient name for the river Ijssel, which flows nearby the city of Zwolle.
Het Zwarte water (Black water, "dark water...") is a 19 km long river which is formed just south of the city of Zwolle.

And this is De peperbus ("Pepperbox...")

Aha! So it wasn't the gun. And it WAS the pepperbox BELLS.

So glad to have you Dutch members here. I'd be lost understanding this album without you.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Luis Bunuel
- FB Fan -

76 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  14:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the line "He played piano really fucking good" has been going through my head non-stop for the past day or so. :)
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  14:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a very strange experience in having JUST THE MUSIC of Bluefinger. No liner notes, no sleeves, no picture or drawing: just pure music!
As I'm not exatly from the mp3 generation, I allways like to think to the visuals of an album when I think to the music. With Bluefinger there is just that distorded face of Herman Brood playing "You cant break a heart and have it", watching us like a ghost leaking from the net.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  14:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luis Bunuel

the line "He played piano really fucking good" has been going through my head non-stop for the past day or so. :)

I just love the way he says "fucking".

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  15:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

quote:
Originally posted by Luis Bunuel

I just love the way he says "fucking".

"The arc of triumph"

Yeah, the best voice part of the album... and of course not because of the word "fucking" but of the way it was sung. Exatly the kind of very musical singing that Frank didnt at all do before the last 5 years or so...
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  15:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never downloaded a Frank album before, always happy to wait for the official release but reading these posts I had to see what all the fuss was about. And Jesus was I floored. I think Threshold is a top 5 Frank tune of all time.
Go to Top of Page

Born to Lose
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  17:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The anticipation for the actual release date is killing me.
Go to Top of Page

the man who is too loud
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  18:11:17  Show Profile  Click to see the man who is too loud's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankoholic

this album being about Herman Brood and all he should get some major attention in 'de lage landen'. I hope he comes on de laatste show or something. Bluefinger is absolutely great. To me it sounds like a sum of his hole carreer. I have it on repeat for a couple of days now and loving it more and more. It strikes me how he can make something as tragic as the suicide of Brood into a heroic romantic thing. He's a such great narrator. Amen.

Is the entire album about Herman? wow that would be awesome, I read 4 books about Brood a couple of years ago and Frank singing about Herman would be like 2 idols coming together
edit: reading the whole thread from page 1 on I just realised I'm a bit behind, it's all Herman related reading the lyrics that people have written down ..
I've only litened to the album 2 times now I'm gonna listen to it again now to search for some Brood links. I always thought Brood was only a phenomenon in the Low lands apart from his early cd's that were popular in the US, but the whole concept with his lifestyle, paintings, drugs adventures and so on are worldfamous?

Edited by - the man who is too loud on 04/04/2007 18:38:49
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  19:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I´ve just get it, what a album man!!, I can´t wait the official release to buy it, 100% raw rock, I love it, for me this is the best album since TOTY.
Go to Top of Page

morgan
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  19:55:56  Show Profile  Visit morgan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Born to Lose

The anticipation for the actual release date is killing me.

Amazon says, September 6th.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  20:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa! Good eye, Morgan. So it's gonna be on Cooking Vinyl. They're charging $29.99, at least for the import version that would be shipped to amazon.com users. And, to answer a question that a lot of people having been wondering, yes, it's under the name Black Francis. (Time to fix the wiki, anazgnos.)

Go to Top of Page

Juri
- FB Fan -

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  20:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Herman Brood Story:

I don't have the album yet and can't wait. I love the fact that Frank is doing this.

I am Dutch and don't know a lot about Brood except for this story that is stuck in my head... kinda like an Urban Legend... The story goes that Brood would not pay his taxes, he didn't care about it so he would be fined and the story goes that he would spend a few months in jail painting to pay off his tax debt. When asked, he would say that he actually enjoyed his time there cause he got along with the guards and was able to focus on his art and was not being bothered by anyone. I always thought that was pretty cool.
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  21:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, this I like. This I like a whole lot. I'm a happy Brendan. Can't wait to actually purchase the sucker.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  21:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to join the speculation game. I think this was indeed supposed to be a Pixies album. Why?

1) A big part of it sounds very Pixie-ish. More than anything else that Frank has ever recorded as "Frank Black". The more I listen to Bluefinger, the more I feel like Santiago is going to kick in with his unique style and fill what almost feels like blanks. The whole thing tastes like a very good dish that, however, lacks a little seasoning or dressing. It's Santiago's guitar that is clearly missing.

2) Why release Bluefinger as "Black Francis" (according to Amazon)? Because that's the hat he had on when he wrote it. I can't see any other explanation. Actually, I think that by doing that he is saying quite clearly to everyone that this was supposed to be a Pixies album. If that is not his intention, he had better not release it as "Black Francis", because that's the message it is going to send.

3) His wife had never sung in any of his work until now. Actually, "Strange Good-Bye" was the only Frank Black solo song that ever featured any female voice as far as I can remember. What's with the female voice now, all of a sudden? She is filling in for Kim Deal, of course. The songs were written with a female voice in mind. Kim is not available, so Violet steps in.

4) That cryptic message that was published here (and disappeared?) mentioned "no little people involved". If "little people" was indeed a reference to the Pixies, Frank said that because he knew that the recipient of the message had some good reason to believe that they would be involved. He wouldn't even have mentioned it otherwise. He felt he had to add that the recording did not go quite as originally planned. Because Kim Deal refused it? We may never know.

5) Please stop dissing Kim Deal. We still don't know if she refused anything, and if she did, she's gotta have her reasons, we've got to respect that and I love everything the Breeders have made so far.

But that's all speculation, of course. And the album is great as it is already.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  01:07:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Am I the only one who has noticed that most of the songs on "Bluefinger" have fanstastic endings? Often, so much effort goes into the beginnings of songs, and the endings are just a sort of fading-out of what has already gone on in a song (this goes for any artist, not just FB). But on this album, he seriously considered finishing the songs strongly.

And how about Angels Come To Comfort You!! Absolutely beautiful song with an incredible ending! The ooh's from the heavenly angels!! I get a visual of an ending to a Herman Brood movie...the angels have taken him away..the ambulance sirens in the background. In a way it reminds me a bit of Where Is My Mind at the end of Fight Club.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"

there's a Herman Brood-movie. It's dutch, of course. The director had a lecture at my university that I attended a couple of weeks ago. Heard some nice stories about Brood and film-making. The movie however, pretty much sucked although they had nice rock and roll footage of the band playing. The story wasn't that great (and there are great stories to be told). His suicide is in the begining of the movie (scenes that are good unlike the rest of the film), but the movie is mostly about his first rock and roll years and his US adventure

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  03:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This may be redundant but I found the details interesting:

A door clicks shut.

"Do not disturb" swings to and fro on its handle.

A lonely Dutch legend aimlessly wanders the halls of the esteemed Amsterdam Hilton. He is, inarguably, the biggest rock and roll star his country has ever known. He is not, inarguably, the biggest rock and roll star to have ever wandered these halls.

Room 902. Seventh floor.

He finds the door and touches it. Room 902.

The Amsterdam Hilton, March 26, 1969 – The suite that is room 902 becomes the most famously photographed hotel room in the history of the world. Behind its doors lie one John Lennon and his peacenik artist wife Yoko Ono. They are in bed for the entire world to see; in bed for "peace" they say. It is a "Bed-In" to protest the bloodshed happening in a small Asian jungle country over a thousand miles and damn near a half-century away. In Vietnam, they say, both Americans and Vietnamese - young and old - are dying horrible deaths in the dark, dank, and damp jungle, in monsoon soaked rice fields, and in thatch hut villages.

So in a plush suite near the top of the Amsterdam Hilton, in an awfully cozy looking white bed, the biggest rock and roll star on the planet is holding court with his hippie-artist wife in an effort to "raise awareness" about these outrageous horrors that are occurring in our world – right now, while we lay here, under these blankets, atop these pillows, getting photographed.

It's a wonder they could even sleep at night.

Brood smiles... or is it a wince... or does he even care... or can he even care?

His hand touches the "9." It's shaking. Next the "0." Still shaking. He ignores the "2."

Fucking hand...

The air felt damp and cool on his face. The sun, still mostly hiding behind one of it's many friends, kisses the earth with a series of grey-rainbow smudges. July 11, 2001... ahh summer! To most Americans this would feel more like spring.

Fuck America, they did me worse than the damn dope did.

He glances down at the world below him and feels as high as he's ever felt.

Then he glances down at his hand by his side and it mocks him, shaking like an autumn leaf dying in the breeze.

He breathes deeply, and then sighs. Herman Brood takes one step forward and smiles at the thought of his goddamned hand never shaking again.

"I've had enough; maybe I'll be seeing you around. Make it a great party."
– suicide note left behind by Herman Brood, July 11, 2001

"Herman Brood jumping from the Amsterdam Hilton for us was like – I don't know, maybe Elvis blowing his brains out in the awareness of his own hopeless condition and some sort of premonition of something evil to come."
– Ad Vanderveen, Dutch musician

http://www.furious.com/PERFECT/hermanbrood.html
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  03:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BTW, his paintings are pretty good, I can see one used for the CD artwork.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  06:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool, Czar!

So... no lead guitar=punk? Didn't know that.
I thought I'd miss the lead guitar but I don't.

and HI lucmove! Enjoyed reading your Pixies speculation.

Edited by - kfs on 04/05/2007 06:33:33
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  07:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what the problem is with TOTY and FMRM? They spoil me. Whatever comes right after them looks like an EP. And I'm still hungry. I want more. No matter how good Bluefinger is, 11 songs can't be anything more than just an appetizer, can they? Of course not.

I want more.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  07:14:44  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucmove

I'm going to join the speculation game. I think this was indeed supposed to be a Pixies album. Why?

1) A big part of it sounds very Pixie-ish. More than anything else that Frank has ever recorded as "Frank Black". The more I listen to Bluefinger, the more I feel like Santiago is going to kick in with his unique style and fill what almost feels like blanks. The whole thing tastes like a very good dish that, however, lacks a little seasoning or dressing. It's Santiago's guitar that is clearly missing.

I can sorta see this since there's no lead guitar, but this still doesn't sound very pixies-ish to me, just more stripped down first-Catholics album rawk. I love it, but it lacks some of the poppiness that made the pixies what they are. I could see this argument applying more easily to Ft. Wayne though.

quote:

2) Why release Bluefinger as "Black Francis" (according to Amazon)? Because that's the hat he had on when he wrote it. I can't see any other explanation. Actually, I think that by doing that he is saying quite clearly to everyone that this was supposed to be a Pixies album. If that is not his intention, he had better not release it as "Black Francis", because that's the message it is going to send.

This makes sense but then why are some of the tracks from Christmass also written by Black Francis? Were those also intended to be Pixies tracks? They're different sounds for him (especially Radio Lizards), but are they Pixies-sounding? I guess it does send a certain message, but what is it?

quote:

3) His wife had never sung in any of his work until now. Actually, "Strange Good-Bye" was the only Frank Black solo song that ever featured any female voice as far as I can remember. What's with the female voice now, all of a sudden? She is filling in for Kim Deal, of course. The songs were written with a female voice in mind. Kim is not available, so Violet steps in.

Another good point, I hope we get an answer for this. And wasn't it his ex-wife that he was singing with on Strange Good-Bye?

quote:

4) That cryptic message that was published here (and disappeared?) mentioned "no little people involved". If "little people" was indeed a reference to the Pixies, Frank said that because he knew that the recipient of the message had some good reason to believe that they would be involved. He wouldn't even have mentioned it otherwise. He felt he had to add that the recording did not go quite as originally planned. Because Kim Deal refused it? We may never know.

I think that response about "little people" was a cryptic answer to a direct question someone higher in the thread asked about the Pixies involement. So no clear answer there either.

quote:

5) Please stop dissing Kim Deal. We still don't know if she refused anything, and if she did, she's gotta have her reasons, we've got to respect that and I love everything the Breeders have made so far.

Not to dis Kim Deal, but come on, wouldn't she be foolish to assume charles had lost the ability to write the right kind of songs for the Pixies? I mean, again, Ft. Wayne clearly demonstrates he has a deft pop/punk touch in those hands still.

quote:

But that's all speculation, of course. And the album is great as it is already.

True. Good post.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  07:28:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jean sang on Manitoba, as did an other woman. So technically there were women singing on Frank's record before Strange Goodbye.

Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  07:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi langdonboom. Regarding 2 posts above:

FWIW, I haven't had the pleasure to listen to Ft. Wayne yet, so I can't evaluate any comments about that. I haven't heard but a couple of tracks of Christmass yet either. Same problem.

About Kim, the problem is that everyone is speculating about what perhaps might just as well possibly have happened, but nobody KNOWS what really happened. Still considering it did happen, it's still just a matter of taste. Even among Pixies/FB fans there are those that feel the Pixies belong in the past and should be left alone. What if Kim also feels that way? She has every right to feel that way, or to think that whatever Frank came up with was good, but not good enough to support the idea of a new Pixies album. I, for one, strongly hope that they will come up with something really NEW or just forget about it. You know, in the name of dignity. I don't want a sequel to Trompe le Monde. Yeah, I would buy and probably enjoy it, but it would leave me with a bit of a sad aftertaste. Many interviews show us that the Pixies themselves are afraid of something like that.

Or maybe, who knows, maybe Kim Deal liked the songs, but said "that's nice, Charles, but wait until you hear these couple ideas I just had" and maybe Frank agreed and they're cooking up something else right now.

Or maybe Santiago or Lovering vetoed something about the new Pixies album.

Maybe personal reasons got in the way and they didn't even have a chance to discuss the artistic issues.

Who knows?

In any case, I think it is very premature to blame Kim Deal for anything whatsoever at this time.

Edited by - lucmove on 04/05/2007 08:02:53
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  08:02:16  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
In any case, I think it is very premature to blame Kim Deal for anything whatsoever at this time.

Yeah, it is fairly obscure as to what actually happened, and its not like I'm gonna burn my Breeders albums or something! But if I remember right, FB did mention something about his wanting to do it and getting vetoed by member(s) of the band, and if someone can help me out here, I think he did indicate that it was Kim. But yeah, so what? She's entitled to her opinion, of course - one shared by many Pixies fans. I'm just personally saddened that it seems we'll never hear what a reuninted Pixies would sound like.

As far as dignity goes, if they were some bloated has-beens that haven't made anything viable in years, it might be a disgrace, but what with the most recent evidence (in my opinion of course) of FB's genius still in tact - Ft. Wayne, Bluefinger - that doesn't seem to be an issue for me. They still have the goods to be a viable, creative band again, clearly! There's no way to know yet what kind of aftertaste an album we haven't heard yet would leave you with.

The solidity of Bluefinger (despite it not quite sound like 'the pixies' to me) and Ft. Wayne makes it seem like a misguded decision based on fear, for whoever made it, kim, joey, david, etc. But I'm not mad at anybody!
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  08:08:21  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am excited about this album... this is by far the best thing that Frank has released imo for the past ten years. I would rate this album above DITS. After a couple of listens I feel as excited about this album as I did when I first got into Frank Black when listening to the first solo album back in 2000. Actually the Black Sessions got me into him, but the first studio album which really gripped me was Frank Black (I was already a huge Pixies fan)... and that made me feel like I was listening to something great. With Bluefingers I have the same feeling.

I'll listen to this a few more times before I post my opinions of the songs.

Because your candle burned too bright, that I almost forgot it was twilight
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  08:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(****WARNING: speculation blah blah)

Since the pixies reformed Frank allways said Kim should write more songs.
Then if you imagine Bluefinger as a pixies project, what Kim could have had written? Some other songs about Herman Brood?
No, I think Bluefinger was not written for the pixies. At least not the lyrics. To write about a real famous person is very Frank Black solo, since "I heard Ramona song" on his first solo album. And as everybody said, it sounds very Frank Black, in the exeption of Threshold.
Songs like "Dont get me wrong" and "Fort Wayne" sound reallly really pixies and I would bet they where composed for that band. You know, that total absence of groove, that childish "twisted church choir" voice. To me those songs mean Frank hadnt lost the cake pan as he had said. The pixies are 100% white music. Frank's music is about 20% black, especially since he's done some soul music.

EXCEPT... If Frank Black Francis DOESN'T REALIZE AT ALL when he sounds pixies or solo.
That would be possible too.

Edited by - Grotesque on 04/05/2007 08:50:34
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  09:33:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank just writes songs
he himself says it doesn't really think about it
not in the way: I'm going to write a country song. He had to explain his countrified solo year a lot. But there was no clear answer.
That being said, he did write songs for the Pixies and he said he was maybe just trying to sound like they should sound and that wasn't good enough. He stated that in various interviews. I believe those songs are all over Christmass, FM/RM and Bluefinger. We can guess, but there's no way to hear if a song is definately not intended for the Pixies. I mean Brackish Boy was written for the Pixies...And there's a lot of difference between The Happening and Tame and Build High

Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  09:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Brood has been sung about, pre-Bluefinger.
All Around the World?

He talks about needles in arms and all that fun stuff.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  11:04:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that is a traditional (i.e. not written by Frank)
and is about the death penalty of a thieve
...but it could have been about Brood in some way

Go to Top of Page

jnaus
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  11:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I enjoy the Breeders a lot, from Pod to Safari to Last Splash... but...
did you actually like Title TK?
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  11:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque
No, I think Bluefinger was not written for the pixies. At least not the lyrics. To write about a real famous person is very Frank Black solo

I don't think I can completely buy that there's no way 'Bluefinger' could be 'Pixies' material. When I think about the biographical concept I draw parrallells between Herman Brood and the pixies(Black Francis). In the recent past Frank Black talked about writing for the Pixies and the need to find his Pixies muse.....his Pixies muse would be a ressurection of 'Black Francis'. I remember hearing Frank Black talk of the "trompe La Monde" era (during a Q&A at a Frank Black & Roy Zimmerman show) as being a time where pixies were consuming lots of drugs and alcohol (heroin). Now if you could think of the Pixies and 'Black Francis' s demise being similar to the life of Herman Brood you could really see how this could be a 'Pixies' concept. To write 'Bluefinger' Frank Black had to find his Pixies muse 'Black Francis' who like Brood was deceased due to self-destruction. Did 'Frank Black' ressurect the Dutch legend to help inspire the ressurection of 'Black Francis' and the 'Pixies (muse). Black Francis, Pixies, Herman Brood were all underground legends, eccentric, drug indulgers, artists who self-destructed and preserved their legend in death. Death of the Pixies, Ressurected with the spirit of Herman Brood....?? of course this is speculation but what else do I do when I've a heard a year's worth of average listening to 'Bluefinger' in two weeks.

"All my days I've been listening you play
I've spent all my days, driving all my nights, trying
You are so big, but that don't make me so small
You rule the world, but now I am standing so tall"
(the words could be Frank Black to the Pixies(Black Francis) or about Herman Brood)

"Just doing my dumb thing,...there,.....to make the scene,....I ended up drinkin from the stream"

"If you're sour...cause some people,....tried to take away all your pow..ower,...if you're Bruised cause they hit you when you refused,....well that's the deal,....you never heal, ...so best to hold your ground,....you get ur bone .....then you get flown in the dogpouuound. ......they can't touch me now Loli...eeeeta." ( Lolita is a Nabokav book written as we all know about a pedophile but he was a pedophile because his childhood love was lost ...HE NEVER HEALED from that love)

I'm babbling...but I'm going to edit and add this song quote to add to the Kim Deal debate in line with my post..... "I had my habits....I cannot lie...but I don't want to go through, This , Again,.....SHE took all the money,.... and hung me out to dry,........Why'd you have to go and break OUR heart"

Edited by - moksha23x on 04/05/2007 12:09:11
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  11:53:45  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jnaus

quote:

I enjoy the Breeders a lot, from Pod to Safari to Last Splash... but...

Little Fury? Off You? The She? Son Of Three? Full On Idle (Although Amps version is much better)? Sinister Foxx? Huffer?

They are all excellent tunes at least on par with the best from Last Splash and Pod

----------------------------------------
it is a wretched life and vanity is repulsive

www.myspace.com/thesexymistakes
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jnausI enjoy the Breeders a lot, from Pod to Safari to Last Splash... but...

Yes, I did, jnaus. Not their best album, of course, but I like it.

My guess is that Title TK caused in many people the same shock that Frank caused in me right after TOTY. I was so pleased with the lavishness of FB and TOTY that I took that all for granted and was terribly disappointed with CoR. And I took years to only partially appreciate FBtC and Pistolero. I still don't like CoR at all. These three records were too distant from what I had expected and I refused to accept them.

I guess that, similarly, The Breeders' Last Splash was too lively and pop-like, and people expected the same thing from Title TK. But Title TK is not that different from Pod, except that Title TK sounds a lot "older" to me. Maybe it should have been recorded some 20 years earlier. But I like it. I never skip a song when I hear it.
Go to Top of Page

lucmove
- FB Fan -

Brazil
116 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moksha23x ...Black Francis, Pixies, Herman Brood were all underground legends, eccentric, drug indulgers, artists who self-destructed and preserved their legend in death.

Black Francis was a drug indulger? I'd never heard of that before. I thought that was just Kim (and her sister). No?

Actually, I haven't read that much about the Pixies or Frank Black and their private lives. I know very very little about that.

Edited by - lucmove on 04/05/2007 12:22:15
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:43:57  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by moksha23x ...Black Francis, Pixies, Herman Brood were all underground legends, eccentric, drug indulgers, artists who self-destructed and preserved their legend in death.

Black Francis was a drug indulger? I'd never heard of that before. I thought that was just Kim (and her sister). No?

Actually, I haven't read that much about the Pixies or Frank Black and their private lives. I know very very little about that.

One of my mates told me a story once that the whole band were fucked on LSD and Kim thought Joey was a bush and tried shearing him with scissors or something... Not sure if this is bollocks but still it is pretty funny.

Back on topic. It is a wonderful album, very immediate, captain pasty and then threshold just grab you and it never lets go.

----------------------------------------
it is a wretched life and vanity is repulsive

www.myspace.com/thesexymistakes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000