Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

mantaraysallright
- FB Fan -

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  23:15:56  Show Profile  Visit mantaraysallright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

"A slimmed down one-disc best of the best, without all the fat, would have really been something. Equal to the Pixies, even."

I don't think that would be possible,l franks catalogue is too large and there is too much variety. I tried to make a "best of" compilation for a friend to try and get them into it and it ended up being 2 discs of 42 various songs and the complete BLD. It would be easy to find 12-15 good fb tracks but I don't really think that there's too much fat worth trimming.
Go to Top of Page

MarshalltheMarsist
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  23:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"A slimmed down one-disc best of the best, without all the fat, would have really been something. Equal to the Pixies, even."

What a crappy idea. All of Frank's albums are already better than any pixies album, whoever's responsible for that quote can GTFO.
Go to Top of Page

MarshalltheMarsist
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  23:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mantaraysallright

quote:

I don't think that would be possible,l franks catalogue is too large and there is too much variety. I tried to make a "best of" compilation for a friend to try and get them into it and it ended up being 2 discs of 42 various songs and the complete BLD. It would be easy to find 12-15 good fb tracks but I don't really think that there's too much fat worth trimming.

Exactly. What fat? The very idea of referring to the majority of Frank's work as "fat" makes me mad.

Edited by - MarshalltheMarsist on 03/01/2007 23:35:45
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  23:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
of course it is impossible to get "the best" FB tracks.

that's why we here at 2R & sons have came up with a sophisticated "your most favourite" FB tracks. please read the instructiosn carefully and submit your votes at

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17448&whichpage=1

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ehehe, that wasn't a quote. It was just me thinking about what the press will probably say. Nothing Frank does is ever alright, it's either too long, too country, too not-as-good-as-his-other-band.
I'm not a big fan of Best Of albums, but it was one of those that made me a fan of The Pixies and Frank so if this new Best Of gets him a few more fans, I'm all for it.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  13:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The selection for a best of gets much harder after the first catholics album.
The orange album had Los Angeles. TOTY had Headache. Cult of Ray had Men in Black. And FBATC had All my Ghosts. An album like Black Letter Days is really excellent, but what are the hits to put on the best of ? They're less poppy-beatlish, more subttle, and the choice for a bestof gets really tough and subjective. Actually, I would be much more interested in a personal selection from FB himself. He seems to love some of his songs that most of the fans didnt pay much attention untill now (like Whiskey in your shoes or Living on Soul...). A remaster and a remix, like he did on Oddballs, could be a good idea too.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  13:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread has been completely derailed.

Does anyone who has Bluefinger wanna share the dang thing with the group yet?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  17:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How the hell do these people already have Bluefinger?
Go to Top of Page

the man who is too loud
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  17:50:24  Show Profile  Click to see the man who is too loud's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess since it is not for sale the people who have it didnt buy it so either have links to FB or to people with a link to FB. I don't think it has leaked to the general public, no torrent or soulseek sharing, and it shouldn't 'cause the man deserves to get paid for it, but this is frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  19:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed this is very frustrating, and if you are true FB fans you feel as I feel. We NEED to hear this album ASAP.
Go to Top of Page

MikeW
- FB Fan -

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  19:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I would consider sharing it if I can figure out how to send it/copy it from my computer...
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  22:23:38  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm very, very eager to hear this album. Of course, it'd be great to have the blessing of the man to let us hear it. But I would suggest, for sharing large files for any reason, that you download the program Pando. It's quite wonderful.

www.pando.com

Try it out, if not for Bluefinger, for whatever else.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  23:34:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
don't share it
although I really want to hear it
let's give the man some respect and let it come out the public when it supposed to

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  00:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

don't share it
although I really want to hear it
let's give the man some respect and let it come out the public when it supposed to

I concur, bill. Let it be. I still feel like a newcomer to Frank, but after a dozen years of leaks and frustrated anticipations, I, as in we, can wait. He's one of the most prolific figures in the history of rock, so deal with it. We're gonna go through this yearly, indefinitely with luck. Don't know about you but I still haven't done justice to the last two, er, four, years, perhaps to my discredit. Speaking as a man who knows what it means to chomp, I HOPE to wait six months for my next treat.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  00:26:44  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm with Erebus. I hope it won't get leaked (though I'd die to hear it)

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  03:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank suggested it was (maybe) going to be a Summer release. When's the Nth Hemisphere Summer ~ June/July?
Not far my friends, let's wait...

Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  14:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, personaly I dont want to actually hear it before the release, but have some pity please MikeW and guy give us a description a bit better that "a mix of Lawrence of Arabia and Kenny G" (was it that?).
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  17:10:42  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It'd be neat if something were previewable on a podcast or something like that. I'm sure it'll be considered. But I do agree with the previous posts. I don't want this album's thunder to be stolen. My previous post may have had a "leak it! leak it!" feel to it, for which I apologize. I was just excited about that new program I'm using and thought I'd suggest it. Though sometimes I have a bit of a slanted view on early mixes of albums. As a musician/recording engineer, I'm always fascinated by hearing unfinished products, then comparing them to the finished version. So I'm sorry if I seem too eager. I'm always telling people just how giving of an artist Frank is, so I hate to act as though that's not good enough. I do like surprises. And I do think Bluefinger should be one of them.

Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

49 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  17:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that FB makes Bluefinger more rockin like Teenager of the Year, than mellowed out like Fastman Raiderman.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  17:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He said it was "uptempo."

Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  17:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeW

quote:

I would consider sharing it if I can figure out how to send it/copy it from my computer...

What is the file...... flac/lossless or MP3 ????
Are you for real?......I can give you an invite to OINK.....I have like 9 invites for anyone else too. You can just put it up for a short window for the people here.
I'll show you exactly how to do it....its easy
I figure your playin', but worth a try....
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  19:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to say it, but I hope it is leaked, selectively to loyal fans on fb.net. I think prozacrat is right that it should be done in a format that's hard to duplicate and put on the web...like a podcast or a myspace page.

If it is leaked, doesn't mean that you have to listen to it.

I received a leaked version of Honeycomb and still bought 5 copies. I thought it was a great album and wanted to share it with some of the special people in my life.

As far as FMRM goes, I didn't have the leaked version. I only bought 2 copies because I wasn't sure what to expect. I haven't made it to a record store since I bought FMRM and so I haven't bought any extra copies yet.

I say leak it if someone promises to buy 5 copies. It's the honor system and I think it worked well with Honeycomb.

Also in addition to Bluefinger, I hope they leak some tracks of Grand Duchy...

Regardless of when I get my hands on it, I know I will be excited and feel LUCKY to hear such awesome music...WHENEVER it's released. I understand why they wouldn't want to leak it, too...

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/05/2007 19:39:08
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  07:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

I received a leaked version of Honeycomb and still bought 5 copies. I thought it was a great album and wanted to share it with some of the special people in my life.

Wow you really liked it then! I only did that with Trout Mask Replica and Teenager of the Year!
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  07:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's sad that other hardcore fans can't listen to Fort Wayne, but I've promised...
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  07:12:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've ever bought more than 2 copies of an album. And Frank's albums are the only ones I buy several copies of. Let's see, I have TOTY twice (CD and LP), SMYT (CD & LP), Pistolero (twice on CD), HC (CD and promo CD), and Christmass (bought a copy for a friend). That's about it. Getting 5 copies is pretty crazy.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  08:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remig

It's sad that other hardcore fans can't listen to Fort Wayne, but I've promised...

I'm curious -- who *doesn't* have this song? (By the way, it's not on "Bluefinger," it's a Grand Duchy song.)

Edited by - coastline on 03/06/2007 08:33:21
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  08:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm curious -- who *doesn't* have this song? (By the way, it's not on "Bluefinger," it's a Grand Duchy song.)

Umm....I don't, if you could direct me to it I'd be grateful....
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  09:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've certainly never heard it.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:16:11  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard it either. Has it been "unveiled" or something like that?

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  12:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i havent heard it either :(
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  14:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 5 copies idea is silly

FAST_MAN  RAIDER_MAN - June 19th
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  14:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Seriously......you're playin' right??? If you're for real can you make a copy of the song available. I'm not tryin to get anything for free I'm a pretty serious FBF promoter......I send tickets to people around the country when he plays and always buy multiple copies of albums....and if its released on wax I buy more copies. I'm not bragging I'm just stating that I'm not trying to freebee out on a my favorite prolific artist ....
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  15:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't there be a Grand Duchy section in the forum by now? Just under the pixies section?

/ @ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  15:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or at least a thread.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  16:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure there should be a Grand Duchy section (yet, at least). I'm guessing most of us have only heard one song, maybe not even that. I can't see there being a whole lot to discuss yet. A thread sounds fine for now.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000