Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

MylesMM
-= FB's Crew =-

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  13:38:16  Show Profile  Visit MylesMM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello. I am posting this is to give a little advance information on the newest, soon to be released, Frank Black album.

Just a little background on myself. I have been working for the Pixies (and often Frank Black) in one capacity or another since they first started out - going on 20 years now! And am the only person, by blessing or curse, still with them from the early days.

On this past Frank Black solo tour I was the Tour Manager and Soundman. Actually, I was the only crew member on the tour. On the bus with Charles and Violet, the nanny, and their 4 kids. It was a nursery school rolling down the highways of America, and some of the best fun I've ever had. A real family vibe, not all that rock and roll at all - except maybe during those 2 hours each night when the show was happening.

The album is a compilation of live songs recorded across the US and Canada and songs we recorded in hotel rooms on my laptop. There are going to be 7 new tracks, 2 of which Charles has been performing live and a few that have never been heard before. Whenever we had a little free time (which is not often when your taking care of 4 kids!) we would set up in a hotel room and Charles would lay down a Vocal track and an Acoustic guitar track - then I brought the hotel songs back to the Planet of Sound Recording Studio in Connecticut, and added a few extra instruments. Always striving to stay in the acoustic vibe of the tour. All of the live tracks are as they happened. If anyone cares, I can post the process I went through over the past month to select the tracks and put it all together.

So the album is in the final stages of editing and mixing and there will be an accompanying DVD of one of the shows. I cannot give you a release date, but we are working hard to get it completed within the next couple of weeks, or so.

Myles Mangino

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  13:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to pop in and, for any naysayers, confirm that this is legit. Myles and i met yesterday and discussed some things and i want to publically thank him for posting this (and hopefully many future news items) and for sharing his time w/ the FB.net community.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  13:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is cool. And hi Myles!

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  14:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, thanks Myles. Is this what was alluded to on the MOG page?

http://mog.com/music/Various_Artists/ChRISTMASS

Can't wait to hear it. And it'd very interesting to hear more about the project.

Edited by - Ziggy on 11/04/2006 14:08:07
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  14:43:53  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This could be absolutely awesome. Can't wait.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  14:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
!!!

This is going to be the best Christmas ever.

Do you know yet how this is going to be sold?

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 11/04/2006 14:52:03
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  14:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MylesMM

If anyone cares, I can post the process I went through over the past month to select the tracks and put it all together.
We'd all be VERY interested! And which show was video'd for the DVD? Thanks for this very exciting news, Myles. And welcome to the forum.

I could not find my honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  15:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is incredible!

-Tom
Go to Top of Page

MylesMM
-= FB's Crew =-

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  16:35:28  Show Profile  Visit MylesMM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was the first edit of the album. its changed a bit since then.

quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Yeah, thanks Myles. Is this what was alluded to on the MOG page?

http://mog.com/music/Various_Artists/ChRISTMASS

Can't wait to hear it. And it'd very interesting to hear more about the project.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  16:54:53  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i assume the same myles who did the "on the road" doco....

i'd also be very interested in the selection process - in fact anything at all about these sessions would be very interesting...

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  18:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, this is great that it's confirmed. how cool is it that our favorite musician would think of making the holiday season extra special for us fans!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  00:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, very exciting indeed. Welcome aboard, Myles. See you in a couple days!

-Dean

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Philomath
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  02:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Philomath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How cool is this? Thank GOD for letting this year be so cool.
GOD seems to like fans of Frank Black, you know, of the Pixies.

From childhood's hour I have not been as others were; I have not seen what others saw; and all I loved, I loved alone.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  03:14:48  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
God always gets the credit where credits not due ;) This one is all down to the man, Thank Frank, that's what I say.

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

wow, this is great that it's confirmed.

it sure is.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  04:49:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great Myles

so what are you playing? Did you play any instruments before?

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  08:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

-Dean

He's not on this tour, Dean. Or are you coming back to NJ with me...

Go to Top of Page

MylesMM
-= FB's Crew =-

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  08:52:56  Show Profile  Visit MylesMM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the order of the album as it is now.

1 (Do What You Want) Guyanaschwar (studio track)
This song was recorded in a hotel room in Santa Cruz CA. It was this beautiful place right on the beach. We had a room that overlooked the ocean - so it was the perfect vibe for recording. The song is about an Indian Guru that Charles read about. He apparently was also a gangster and got gunned down last year. True story. Rob, a friend of Charles (don't know his last name) was also playing in Santa Cruz that night and came by the hotel and recorded these amazing acoustic guitar solos on top of Charles rhythm tracks. When I got back to the Planet of Sound Recording Studio I added a bass track - played by Jeff Ladd. One of the Planet of Sound session Players.

2 Bullet (live)
From the late show in Brooklyn. I thought this was the best performance of Bullet on the tour. Some how it just naturally followed Guyanaschwar - and flowed nicely into...
3 I Burn Today
One of my favorite Frank songs. From Bellingham WA. Most of the album comes from this show. In reading through this forum it seems like none of you were there. But, in my opinion this was by far the best show of the tour. The sound in this club was outstanding. The audience was wild - probably the only show with continuous crowd surfing - at an acoustic show!!!! Not sure why but everything just came together and the recording shows it. Frank was in perfect form.
4 Wave of Mutilation (live)
5 Living on Soul (live)
6 She's My Way (studio)
OK. In my opinion the best song Charles has written - maybe ever. A real Bob Dylan classic. And... I added a string section. I believe, a first for Frank Black. The Chorus is such an excellent hook. And the violin became an alternate hook. Recorded in a hotel in Eugene OR.
7 Mastiff Centrale (live)
8 Where is My Mind (live)
9 Raiderman (live)
10 Demon Girl (studio)
Another new one. Recorded in Eugene OR. A really fun (and goofy) story. Just acoustic guitar / vocals and bass.
11 Dead Man's Curve (live)
A new one. I love this song. From Bellingham WA. Probably will one day show up as a band recording as well.
12 Cactus (live)
He played this just about every night. But very different each time. This is the most unusual version I have ever heard. Had to include it.
13 666 (live)
Accapello. Just singing. No guitar. Some of these clubs the talking would get so loud that Charles found it hard to focus. So he would put down his guitar and just sing this. It shut up the loud talkers at the bar every time. It was a total accident that it came out as track number 13. I swear.
14 Radio Lizards of Whoring (studio)
The weirdest Frank Black recording ever! All Accapello. I also produced the "Repo Man" cover for Frank Black a couple of years ago. If you've heard that and think its weird. This is more bizarre. (actually the guy who did all the music for Frank Black's "Repoman", Eric James, played some of the strings on "She's My Way". Eric is also one of the Planet of Sound Players. Radio Lizards was a real challenge. First we recorded it on acoustic guitar and vocals. About a week later Charles came back to me and said he felt like the song didn't work as it was recorded. Even though he never heard it again. He just knows these things. And wanted to record it again Accapello (in the style of the first song on Mark Mulcahy's "In Pursuit of You Happiness" album) If you haven't heard this record, check it out. Its my all-time favorite record. So we rerecorded in a hotel in Eugene. This time instead of playing the chords on guitar, he sang each note of the chord and we layered them together. For instance, he would pluck the lowest notes on guitar to get the pitch, and then sing them into mic. We went through the whole song like this till we had all the chords in ooohs and ahhhs. Then sang the lead vocal over this. (For all you techies, I recorded the entire album into a Digidesign Mbox 2, through a Universal Audio LA610 tube preamp directly into Protools on my Mac Book Pro laptop. All the vocal were done through a shure Beta58 mic. The same one we used at the shows. So the studio tracks would match the live tracks. The guitars were recorded DI output of this really cool, tiny German Made acoustic amp that Charles owns. The guitar is an old Martin with a built in ccondenser mic) So I kept listening to this track, but really hated it. It just seemed like it didn't work, but I knew Charles wanted it on the album so I had to come up with something. Mark Mulcahy lives near the studio and he is so good at vocal harmonies I asked him to come down and help me out. Now, I usually don't have a hard time figuring out what to put on a song but this one really stumped us. We spent hours trying to make it work but nothing fit. Then I told Mark to just sing whatever came into his head and we would run the song over an over again. Something magic happened and it all fit. The song is now a layer of about 20 vocal tracks. 8 of Charles' and 12 of Mark's. Its now one of my favorite songs. Sort of came out like the Beach Boys. Or maybe the Beach Boys if they were really high.

15 Headache (live)
16 Nadine (live)
Nadine and Manitoba feature Rami Jaffre from the Wallflowers. On this tour Frank played 7 shows with the Foo Fighters, acoustic. Foocoustic! And Rami was their keyboard player. He player accordion with Charles on 3 songs at 3 of the shows. Toronto, Chicago and Los Angeles. In Toronto the mic for the Accordion was patched into the PA but not into the recording system. Rami coming onstage was such an important part of the tour I really felt I had to include these songs. But, I only had 2 choices. Chicago and Los Angeles. Fortunately they played the songs really well both nights. So which one to use. I choose Chicago mainly to have some of the album from that part of the country. And Chicago is a special city to the Pixies. When the reunion first happened, Andy Chirzan (from Jam productions in Chicago) was one of the first people to believe in the band making a comeback. He eventually bought the Pixies for 5 nights at the Aragon Ballroom. Where, in the old days, they had only opened up for other bands. I wanted to include something as a special thank you to Andy and the fans in the Chicago area. And you will see in the soon to be released Pixies documentary, LoudQuietLoud, a good chunk of the story is from Chicago. We had so much fun there during our 5 nights in 2004. And my wife Charon got to go to the Oprah show with Kim. They were in Heaven.
17 Manitoba (live)
Also with Rami from the Foo Fighters show. I would also like to say a special thank you to all of the Foo Fighters and crew. They treated us so well as their opening act. Especially Geoff Templeton, the Foo Fighters bass tech. He was Charles guitar tech during the Frank Black sets. And engineered the recording for me while I was mixing the show.
18 All Around he World (live)
OK. this is a song the Pixies learned for their Acoustic performance at the Newport folk festival in 2005. You can see some cool footage of them working on the song at the Planet of Sound recording studio in the bonus footage on the Newport Folk festival DVD. Its a traditional folk song about someone being executed. Love this performance of it.
19 Los Angeles (live)
20 The Water (live)
A new song. Actually named by the people of this forum. I'm sure someday it will be recorded in a studio with a band.
21 Outtakes (live)
Frank speaks. Believe it or not. Olympia and Bellingham bits and pieces spliced together. Funniest thing ever. While I was packing up Charles guitars at the end of the night, this totally wasted girl was insisting the she saw a space ship land in the parking lot and Frank got out. You can hear her screaming crazy things all over this track. Afterwards, she said she saw Frank climb back into his ship and fly away. Actually, he got back into his car and drove away as she was chasing him down the street. You had to be there.
22 Don't Get Me Wrong (studio)
This is the newest track. Charles was traveling between NYC and Boston last week and stopped in at the Planet of Sound and recorded this track. I still have to figure out what to add to it and where it fits in on the record. I get the feeling it needs some Hammond B3 organ - and maybe some background vocals. We'll see what the songs asks for when we get back in the studio next week.

Myles Mangino
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  09:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn Myles, that's one of the best posts I've ever read. Very cool. Thanks!

-Tom
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:19:29  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
excellent - this sounds very very interesting.....

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IS THIS A FUCKING DREAM? Wow.

I could not find my honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now THAT'S a Christmas gift. Thanks for the scoop, Myles.

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:37:36  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gracias Myles!!!My "Feliz Navidad" has officialy started with your news!!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the idea of the hotel recordings. Can't wait to hear it.
(CD + DVD!!!)

* ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need a new diaper.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  13:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shockingly cool. Thanks, Myles!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks myles,

I was shocked by the 'I will run after you'-demo I heard on podcast 16, which also featured multitracks of Frank's voice. So this is exactly something I'm looking out for. On a side note, I wish Frank would release this himself, not only on the net, but also real cd's. I think he could make a nice profit and that could bring more of this releases

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  16:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Myles, not only was it cool to meet you between shows in Brooklyn when you were talking with Brian, but to have you post this awesome thread and let us in on this incredible Frank collection, well, that makes you "the King of Cool." Can't wait to hear your work on this. Thanx again!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  16:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

-Dean

He's not on this tour, Dean. Or are you coming back to NJ with me...

That's what he told _you_. :P

Go to Top of Page

The Happening
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  22:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, way to hype "She's My Way". Best song? That's a pretty bold statment considering everything he's done but that's great news. This CD sounds amazing.

Edited by - The Happening on 11/05/2006 22:03:08
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  22:39:51  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This cannot be released soon enough.

http://www.prozacrat.com
www.myspace.com/prozacrat
Go to Top of Page

dr.Evil
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  04:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news - i'm looking forward to it. I'd pay extra to get this one as a vinyl - please consider it:)

---------------------------------

http://myspace.com/eviltordivel
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  05:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This news beats a European tour hands down
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  05:44:27  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wowie zowie!!

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  07:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His third post, and it's the greatest ever. Wow, that is pretty much every Frank fan's wet dream. Endless thanks Myles.

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  07:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can't wait to hear this, thanks Myles. Exciting doesn't quite seem to cover it.

Go to Top of Page

Born to Lose
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds fantastic, but am I the only one who would have rather had a straight up, studio recording of these songs? Whatever happened to the 'Deadman's Curve' and "That Burnt Out Rock n Roll" studio recordings?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000