-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 ChRISTMASS the Album

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MylesMM Posted - 11/04/2006 : 13:38:16
Hello. I am posting this is to give a little advance information on the newest, soon to be released, Frank Black album.

Just a little background on myself. I have been working for the Pixies (and often Frank Black) in one capacity or another since they first started out - going on 20 years now! And am the only person, by blessing or curse, still with them from the early days.

On this past Frank Black solo tour I was the Tour Manager and Soundman. Actually, I was the only crew member on the tour. On the bus with Charles and Violet, the nanny, and their 4 kids. It was a nursery school rolling down the highways of America, and some of the best fun I've ever had. A real family vibe, not all that rock and roll at all - except maybe during those 2 hours each night when the show was happening.

The album is a compilation of live songs recorded across the US and Canada and songs we recorded in hotel rooms on my laptop. There are going to be 7 new tracks, 2 of which Charles has been performing live and a few that have never been heard before. Whenever we had a little free time (which is not often when your taking care of 4 kids!) we would set up in a hotel room and Charles would lay down a Vocal track and an Acoustic guitar track - then I brought the hotel songs back to the Planet of Sound Recording Studio in Connecticut, and added a few extra instruments. Always striving to stay in the acoustic vibe of the tour. All of the live tracks are as they happened. If anyone cares, I can post the process I went through over the past month to select the tracks and put it all together.

So the album is in the final stages of editing and mixing and there will be an accompanying DVD of one of the shows. I cannot give you a release date, but we are working hard to get it completed within the next couple of weeks, or so.

Myles Mangino
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
matto Posted - 04/24/2012 : 04:55:26
sure you can. shipping times vary, I've had stuff arrive the next week, or 2 months later. that being said - mine came from amazon in the u.s. but from a seller in Germany. took about 2 weeks to arrive.

sminki pinki
Apesy Posted - 04/23/2012 : 23:25:06
is it possible to order via amazon.fr if you live in the states?

i feel like i've used the canadian store before, but i dunno how france feels about international overseas...

-=Apesy
matto Posted - 04/18/2012 : 05:19:35
It just sound so nice. I've been hoarding vinyl now as well. Yeah, it's worth it. I hope this company puts out a vinyl Bluefinger.

sminki pinki
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/17/2012 : 10:37:14
Been considering picking this up, but I wasn't sure what the deal was, it just kind of popped up out of nowhere. I pretty much only listen to vinyl if possible. Worth the cash then Matto?

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 04/10/2012 : 02:12:56
Deviated Sept
matto Posted - 04/09/2012 : 17:13:43
Listening to the vinyl right now. Greaaaaat sound. Oh how I don't miss this version of "Wave".

dead man's curve mislabeled as dead man's grave on the vinyl.

sminki pinki
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 01/31/2012 : 15:23:11
This album should be retitled "Sinusitis".
vilainde Posted - 01/30/2012 : 02:48:53
What the... ?

http://www.amazon.fr/Christmas-Franck-Black/dp/B006YIZUJS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327931177&sr=1-1

http://www.cargo-records.de/de/item/52990/katalog_art.75.html

<<BLACK, FRANK
CHRISTMASS LP+7" (VINYL LOVERS)

Format:2 LP
Release:03.02.2012
Label:VINYL LOVERS
Genre:Independent
Kat.-Nr.:52990
Barcode:0889397901295

Collection of live acoustic performances from Frank Black's (a.k.a. Black Francis, ex-frontman of the Pixies) 2006 US solo tour.

Featuring renditions of Pixies favorites like "Where Is My Mind?" and "Wave Of Mutilation" and many gems from over the course of Black's solo career.

Songs like "Nadine", "Bullet", "(Do What You Want) Gyaneswhar" and "Demon Girl" prove that Black's songwriting skills have only gotten sharper over the years.

Also includes a FREE 33 RPM 7" with: "Intro/Los Angeles", Elvis Presley's "Song Of The Shrimp", "Nadine" and "Manitoba".>>

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
kempes Posted - 09/23/2007 : 06:52:01
I recently bought it along with BlueFinger direct from the cooking vinyl site. Absolutely love "demon girl", offbeat, quirky and very catchy. Cant stop humming the chorus since Ive heard it.

Kempes
pixiestu Posted - 09/17/2007 : 07:07:18
Haha. I've never seen that site before I don't think. All the reviews are very funny!

"The arc of triumph"
Jason Posted - 09/16/2007 : 14:02:31
Mark Prindle's new Christmass review is hilarious.

http://www.markprindle.com/black.htm#christmass
pixie punk Posted - 05/30/2007 : 10:33:42
I finally got the record yesterday down here in Puerto Rico and absolutely love it!!! Gyaneshwar and Demon Girl specially rocked me(Charles lyrics and voice never cease to surprise me,his rhymes and choruses along with his guitar playing are worth every dollar I pay for every release!!!).I'm a bassist I absolutely was floored with those amazingly dynamic bass lines in Demon Girl.It reminded me of when Charles recorded with one of my favorite bass players Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols(The Stax Pistols).The acoustic renditions of Wave Of Mutilation,Massif Centrale and Manitoba are superb!!!And finally with the DVD I can figure out those beautiful guitar chords in my favorite SMYT tune My Life Is In Storage"".Gracias Charles for the Great Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
kelladwella Posted - 05/27/2007 : 15:45:14
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Frank needs to slow down or I need to keep up.

So true. There is always something new to be dicovered these days (not that I'm complaining, it's great) and it gets quite difficult to give last week's songs the proper attention.

Your little lovefest made me go back to Christmass.
fbc Posted - 05/26/2007 : 08:15:07
Fingers crossed then, even though I don't think this version of "Don't Get Me Wrong" can be equalled in quality by another version.
Jason Posted - 05/26/2007 : 08:03:40
Frank has released new versions of songs from obscure releases many, many times.
fbc Posted - 05/26/2007 : 07:34:43
I'm happy at the mo because I get more joy out of listening to Fort Wayne than I do Bluefinger. Bluefinger's time will come, I'm sure. I can't wait for it's release but not so much that I'd actually post this in the relevant thread. I just keep going back to these few songs over and over again and I'm still not done with them.

Frank needs to slow down or I need to keep up.
coastline Posted - 05/26/2007 : 07:22:56
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

I really really hope "Fort Wayne" isn't another one that gets lost along the way. Really.

This is getting old, but I agree with you yet again. I love "Fort Wayne." If I were to try to make my list of top five FB songs, both "Fort Wayne" and "Rabbit Hole" would probably make the list. They're definitely in the top ten. Here's to seeing them on albums someday -- and hearing them on the radio.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
fbc Posted - 05/26/2007 : 07:19:33
I believe "Don't Get Me Wrong" should have been reserved for something more special. You know, not just a live compilation.

I really really hope "Fort Wayne" isn't another one that gets lost along the way. Really.
coastline Posted - 05/26/2007 : 07:08:44
I agree, effbeecee. Maybe they'll show up on a proper release at a later date.

Czar Posted - 05/26/2007 : 07:04:49
I certainly don't think so, to answer your question. Demon Girl, She's My Way... all great songs (except perhaps Radio Lizards which I don't like). BUT I WANT THE STUDIO VERSION OF DEAD MAN'S CURVE.

fbc Posted - 05/25/2007 : 15:33:16
Does anyone else out there think the studio tracks are wasted on Christmass?

Don't get me wrong, even though I haven't listened to it for ages I like this release. It's just that it's been and gone. You know how fast we seem to move on from one project to another. I just think it's a shame these great tracks seem to belong to the past when they would grace a Black Francis or Grand Duchy release.
blue cadet3 Posted - 04/15/2007 : 00:35:19
I love the song "Don't Get Me Wrong".
Johnny Yen Posted - 03/23/2007 : 13:14:58
I just got my copy as well. Great packaging. As soon as this Dylan is over with, FB is going on.
gapu Posted - 03/23/2007 : 13:07:20
today i've received Christmass! Yeeehaa :)

but i haven't heard or seen anything of it yet, did not have any time today.. but TOMORROW! or later when i go to bed!
Johnny Yen Posted - 03/19/2007 : 11:05:48
Www.newburycomics.com has another batch of Christmass for $13.85(USD) + shipping.
vilainde Posted - 03/19/2007 : 06:27:24
Just a quick note to let you know that I saw Christmass in stores last friday, at Gibert in Paris, for €16-something.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
MissMaceo Posted - 02/19/2007 : 13:13:55
were any of you actually there??

i have been to harlows before and if memory serves, it's a TINY little club, great acoustics, saw jackie green there years ago

a frank black proshot from a tiny club

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
MissMaceo Posted - 02/19/2007 : 13:12:45
:) :) :) :) :) :)

thank you guys
i knew it, i had read it, i just couldn't accept it without other confirmation!!!
how exciting!
so now i get to wait - which is what it looks like the first 10 pages of this thread is about!
Erebus Posted - 02/19/2007 : 11:50:30
It's about half the Sacramento performance I think.

darwin Posted - 02/19/2007 : 11:49:39
Yes, some songs were left off. (I'm not Erebus, but we watched the show together.)
Ziggy Posted - 02/19/2007 : 11:43:06
Yeah, a bunch of songs are left off.

A nice extra, nonetheless.
coastline Posted - 02/19/2007 : 11:30:55
I can't answer your whole question, nor can I answer with complete confidence, but I don't believe the DVD has the entire Sacramento show. I think some songs were left out. But everything that's on there was from the Sacramento show.

Erebus, can you confirm that some songs were left off?

MissMaceo Posted - 02/19/2007 : 11:18:56
ok please bear with me here

i just need to confirm:

the Christmass cd, if ordered from the Cooking Vinyl UK store, comes with a DVD and the DVD is the entire Sacramento acoustic show at Harlows last year?

I just can not really believe that is true - too good, etc.

I just can't start to get as excited as I'm gonna be until someone says 'that is correct'
benji Posted - 02/13/2007 : 15:47:46
i bought mine from amazon.co.uk for shipping to new zealand. ordered yesterday and shipped today.
with the bonus dvd it cost me under 8 quid less shipping.
not bad.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Grotesque Posted - 02/13/2007 : 13:09:55
quote:
Originally posted by ATBNG

I agree 100%. I think the power of the song is in the vocals and the main guitar riff and the live band version limits that aspect. I like the Christmass recording a great deal.

But Deas Man's Curve live with EDF has such an exiting rock beat! You know, that "I could stay it forever" discopunk beat. I cant wait for the moment when I'll put the FB/EDF new cd with maximum volume and hear DMC blowing my brain !

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000