Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info+notes, Myles! And the first FB DVD, wow!

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do we have to understand that this gem is going to be released on FB's own brand new label?

Oh, and will it be available in Europe?

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:15:13  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No label yet - and i'm sure a European release is being discussed.

Also, there will most likely be full band versions of at least a few of these songs in the future - this is more of a snapshot of that tour/summer i would believe.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news. All the FB's "bonus" albums (Oddballs, One More Road for the hit, Snake Oil, Frank Black Francis and Sunny Sunday Millvalley Groove day) are top quality.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian, pop into your gmail asap so I can do a quick chat if you please...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  16:11:11  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

IS THIS A FUCKING DREAM? Wow.
[/i]

haha!!! my sentiments exactly. I will buy everyone drinks at the seattle show on the 13th. especially myles.

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  16:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MylesMM

This is the order of the album as it is now.

1 (Do What You Want) Guyanaschwar (studio track)
This song was recorded in a hotel room in Santa Cruz CA. It was this beautiful place right on the beach. We had a room that overlooked the ocean - so it was the perfect vibe for recording. The song is about an Indian Guru that Charles read about. He apparently was also a gangster and got gunned down last year. True story. Rob, a friend of Charles (don't know his last name) was also playing in Santa Cruz that night and came by the hotel and recorded these amazing acoustic guitar solos on top of Charles rhythm tracks. When I got back to the Planet of Sound Recording Studio I added a bass track - played by Jeff Ladd. One of the Planet of Sound session Players.

2 Bullet (live)
From the late show in Brooklyn. I thought this was the best performance of Bullet on the tour. Some how it just naturally followed Guyanaschwar - and flowed nicely into...
3 I Burn Today
One of my favorite Frank songs. From Bellingham WA. Most of the album comes from this show. In reading through this forum it seems like none of you were there. But, in my opinion this was by far the best show of the tour. The sound in this club was outstanding. The audience was wild - probably the only show with continuous crowd surfing - at an acoustic show!!!! Not sure why but everything just came together and the recording shows it. Frank was in perfect form.
4 Wave of Mutilation (live)
5 Living on Soul (live)
6 She's My Way (studio)
OK. In my opinion the best song Charles has written - maybe ever. A real Bob Dylan classic. And... I added a string section. I believe, a first for Frank Black. The Chorus is such an excellent hook. And the violin became an alternate hook. Recorded in a hotel in Eugene OR.
7 Mastiff Centrale (live)
8 Where is My Mind (live)
9 Raiderman (live)
10 Demon Girl (studio)
Another new one. Recorded in Eugene OR. A really fun (and goofy) story. Just acoustic guitar / vocals and bass.
11 Dead Man's Curve (live)
A new one. I love this song. From Bellingham WA. Probably will one day show up as a band recording as well.
12 Cactus (live)
He played this just about every night. But very different each time. This is the most unusual version I have ever heard. Had to include it.
13 666 (live)
Accapello. Just singing. No guitar. Some of these clubs the talking would get so loud that Charles found it hard to focus. So he would put down his guitar and just sing this. It shut up the loud talkers at the bar every time. It was a total accident that it came out as track number 13. I swear.
14 Radio Lizards of Whoring (studio)
The weirdest Frank Black recording ever! All Accapello. I also produced the "Repo Man" cover for Frank Black a couple of years ago. If you've heard that and think its weird. This is more bizarre. (actually the guy who did all the music for Frank Black's "Repoman", Eric James, played some of the strings on "She's My Way". Eric is also one of the Planet of Sound Players. Radio Lizards was a real challenge. First we recorded it on acoustic guitar and vocals. About a week later Charles came back to me and said he felt like the song didn't work as it was recorded. Even though he never heard it again. He just knows these things. And wanted to record it again Accapello (in the style of the first song on Mark Mulcahy's "In Pursuit of You Happiness" album) If you haven't heard this record, check it out. Its my all-time favorite record. So we rerecorded in a hotel in Eugene. This time instead of playing the chords on guitar, he sang each note of the chord and we layered them together. For instance, he would pluck the lowest notes on guitar to get the pitch, and then sing them into mic. We went through the whole song like this till we had all the chords in ooohs and ahhhs. Then sang the lead vocal over this. (For all you techies, I recorded the entire album into a Digidesign Mbox 2, through a Universal Audio LA610 tube preamp directly into Protools on my Mac Book Pro laptop. All the vocal were done through a shure Beta58 mic. The same one we used at the shows. So the studio tracks would match the live tracks. The guitars were recorded DI output of this really cool, tiny German Made acoustic amp that Charles owns. The guitar is an old Martin with a built in ccondenser mic) So I kept listening to this track, but really hated it. It just seemed like it didn't work, but I knew Charles wanted it on the album so I had to come up with something. Mark Mulcahy lives near the studio and he is so good at vocal harmonies I asked him to come down and help me out. Now, I usually don't have a hard time figuring out what to put on a song but this one really stumped us. We spent hours trying to make it work but nothing fit. Then I told Mark to just sing whatever came into his head and we would run the song over an over again. Something magic happened and it all fit. The song is now a layer of about 20 vocal tracks. 8 of Charles' and 12 of Mark's. Its now one of my favorite songs. Sort of came out like the Beach Boys. Or maybe the Beach Boys if they were really high.

15 Headache (live)
16 Nadine (live)
Nadine and Manitoba feature Rami Jaffre from the Wallflowers. On this tour Frank played 7 shows with the Foo Fighters, acoustic. Foocoustic! And Rami was their keyboard player. He player accordion with Charles on 3 songs at 3 of the shows. Toronto, Chicago and Los Angeles. In Toronto the mic for the Accordion was patched into the PA but not into the recording system. Rami coming onstage was such an important part of the tour I really felt I had to include these songs. But, I only had 2 choices. Chicago and Los Angeles. Fortunately they played the songs really well both nights. So which one to use. I choose Chicago mainly to have some of the album from that part of the country. And Chicago is a special city to the Pixies. When the reunion first happened, Andy Chirzan (from Jam productions in Chicago) was one of the first people to believe in the band making a comeback. He eventually bought the Pixies for 5 nights at the Aragon Ballroom. Where, in the old days, they had only opened up for other bands. I wanted to include something as a special thank you to Andy and the fans in the Chicago area. And you will see in the soon to be released Pixies documentary, LoudQuietLoud, a good chunk of the story is from Chicago. We had so much fun there during our 5 nights in 2004. And my wife Charon got to go to the Oprah show with Kim. They were in Heaven.
17 Manitoba (live)
Also with Rami from the Foo Fighters show. I would also like to say a special thank you to all of the Foo Fighters and crew. They treated us so well as their opening act. Especially Geoff Templeton, the Foo Fighters bass tech. He was Charles guitar tech during the Frank Black sets. And engineered the recording for me while I was mixing the show.
18 All Around he World (live)
OK. this is a song the Pixies learned for their Acoustic performance at the Newport folk festival in 2005. You can see some cool footage of them working on the song at the Planet of Sound recording studio in the bonus footage on the Newport Folk festival DVD. Its a traditional folk song about someone being executed. Love this performance of it.
19 Los Angeles (live)
20 The Water (live)
A new song. Actually named by the people of this forum. I'm sure someday it will be recorded in a studio with a band.
21 Outtakes (live)
Frank speaks. Believe it or not. Olympia and Bellingham bits and pieces spliced together. Funniest thing ever. While I was packing up Charles guitars at the end of the night, this totally wasted girl was insisting the she saw a space ship land in the parking lot and Frank got out. You can hear her screaming crazy things all over this track. Afterwards, she said she saw Frank climb back into his ship and fly away. Actually, he got back into his car and drove away as she was chasing him down the street. You had to be there.
22 Don't Get Me Wrong (studio)
This is the newest track. Charles was traveling between NYC and Boston last week and stopped in at the Planet of Sound and recorded this track. I still have to figure out what to add to it and where it fits in on the record. I get the feeling it needs some Hammond B3 organ - and maybe some background vocals. We'll see what the songs asks for when we get back in the studio next week.

Myles Mangino

This post is my Christmas present.

You're the guy behind Frank's Repo Man cover? That's impressive. That version kicks ass.

Thank you soooo much for letting us know all this stuff.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  19:08:27  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't wait. Great.

Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  21:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm all smiles.

You run all kinds of red lights except the ones on the street.
When you run out of exits you can always count sheep.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  22:16:03  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are now 3 (maybe more?) officially released live versions of "Los Angeles": Black Sessions, Nadine Live EP, and Christmass. I don't think any other post-pixies FB song has seen this much reinterpretation.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  03:18:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Dean, I see the tracklist you posted on the news page omits Raiderman and Manitoba. Is that a mistake or do you have some more precise information about the final product?

Also... why ChRISTMASS? Do we have to read "Christ-mass"? Or just "Ass" in a "Bah, Humbug" sort of way? What about the capitals? Is Frank's caps lock key stuck? I want to know!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This this the promised new album with EDF, or something that was jsut decided upon during this tour?

7/27/99 9:30 Club DC
6/18/00 Fletcher's Baltimore
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  12:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently, the title is the traditional spelling of Christmas, and this is not the EDF album.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

number 13
= Cult of Ray =

286 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  14:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. I'm a little bit disappointed seeing a lot of Pixies' songs. I'd prefer some other gems such as Fu Manchu, Black Letter Days or The Swimmer. I'm expecting the dvd (at last ! ) and I'm curious to know the songs featuring.
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  14:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think frank black's cool.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  20:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW THIS IS GREAT NEWS
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  09:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is "Repoman" that is talked about in the liner notes post?

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  09:30:16  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's fB's cover of the Iggy song for American Laundromat's 'High School Reunion' record.
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  12:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot about that one. It's not listed on the song index (just an FYI, not being nitpicky).

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  12:33:33  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nor 'Run'

=(
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  04:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or the TMBG sound FB does on the tribute album.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  04:16:14  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  14:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MylesMM

So the album is in the final stages of editing and mixing and there will be an accompanying DVD of one of the shows.

Wow....This is exciting. Christmas album.....It feels like christmas 25 years ago, I can't wait to open the presents. There's a FB show at the fillmore (nov 15th) coming up and a new album.....YES.
Oh, MylesMM, you mentioned "an accompanying DVD of one of the shows." What show in particular. I remember a really nice camera recording at the show in Sacramento.....Could it be from there?? Where??
Thanks so Much!
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  21:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moksha23x
Oh, MylesMM, you mentioned "an accompanying DVD of one of the shows." What show in particular. I remember a really nice camera recording at the show in Sacramento.....Could it be from there?? Where??
Thanks so Much!

Indeed, I remember there being two cameras setup on tripods at the Sac show.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  15:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myles, I don't know if you're still around, but if you are do you have time for a couple of questions?

How did you pick the tracks and decide to arrange them in the order you did?

How did the idea for this project come about?

How will Christmas the album/dvd be distributed?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  14:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noticed Myles name in the credits of LoudQUIETloud!

Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  16:24:59  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is awesome. That acoustic tour was really incredible. Very excited about the dvd.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  00:28:59  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
18 All Around he World (live)
OK. this is a song the Pixies learned for their Acoustic performance at the Newport folk festival in 2005. You can see some cool footage of them working on the song at the Planet of Sound recording studio in the bonus footage on the Newport Folk festival DVD. Its a traditional folk song about someone being executed. Love this performance of it.

Wasn't it learned for Honeycomb, or do you mean the performance on this album is the Pixies at Newport?
Go to Top of Page

mantaraysallright
- FB Fan -

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  01:54:19  Show Profile  Visit mantaraysallright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Born to Lose

This sounds fantastic, but am I the only one who would have rather had a straight up, studio recording of these songs? Whatever happened to the 'Deadman's Curve' and "That Burnt Out Rock n Roll" studio recordings?

In general I would agree, but this is Frank Black we are talking about. Frank has a great ability to preform live...I'm not concerned at all, especially since it sounds like many new songs will be rereleased in studio. I must say that I'm very excited for this album. I now have something to add to my Christmass list.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  15:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read the front page. PLEASE, for the love of all things good and decent, do not make this an internet only release!! And if you do, PLEASE allow downloads of lossless audio files (FLAC, SHN, or even uncompressed WAV or AIFF files are fine by me)

¡Viva los Católicos! http://www.myspace.com/shadoplay
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  18:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree, i love actually having the packaging and everything
im still holding out for snake oil and one more for... :P
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  22:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the KEXP interview the other day, Frank stated that this would probably be via internet-order. I think it's going to be a physical product, but you'll only be able to buy it online.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  08:53:15  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

I just read the front page. PLEASE, for the love of all things good and decent, do not make this an internet only release!! And if you do, PLEASE allow downloads of lossless audio files (FLAC, SHN, or even uncompressed WAV or AIFF files are fine by me)

¡Viva los Católicos! http://www.myspace.com/shadoplay

It would be tough to make it an internet only release with the inclusion of a dvd. Therefore, we will be getting somekind of packaging. Word.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  08:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think he was thinking more along the lines of mail-order. Only orderable on the internet, but you get something mailed to you. The logistics of that don't sound particularly appealing from a distribution perspective, though.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  09:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news that it's more than likely to be a physical product. I agree with thecontender and Brank Flack that that having something in your hands is much better than just having a download. I hope I can count on it being in my stocking! (Hint, Hint)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000