Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  19:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so who's going to the show!! i am. ya. i know hammerhands is gonna be there. who else? get your tickets fast. it's gonna sell out.

anyone ever seen a show at the pantages playhouse? my wife told me i saw dianna krahl play there. she's got a lovely voice but i nodded off half way through the show. that won't happen at frank's show! he can really SCREAM!

i really hope edf brings the keys. and if they play any pixies songs i hope it's from trompe le monde. that would be nice if they opened with the sad punk! but whatever frank plays will be great!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  07:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going with some friends. I saw the Kids in the Hall at pantages ages ago. I can't wait for the show, should be awesome!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  19:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alrighty! chrischob is in the house! i regret not seeing kids in the hall at the pantages.

i got 6 tickets and a few more friends should be coming. i'm pretty sure it's open seating for this show.

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  20:57:53  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you answer my question about the tickets Fu? Do they say GA3 General Admission or did you get assigned seating, or am I misreading my ticket?
Go to Top of Page

winnipegwantsfrank
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  18:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't miss this show for the world. It's funny - a few years ago I never thought I'd see Frank at all, now this will be my fourth time

@ Hammerhands - the tix are all General Admission as far as I know. That's weird for a show with a balcony though

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  18:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya it sure is great frank has been doing the western canadian stop the last few years.

and i'm pretty sure it's not assigned seating. i haven't picked mine up yet but my ticketmaster order says GA seats 28-33. i ordered them over the phone and the person told me it is general admission and no assigned seating. if anyone hear's otherwise please let me know.

Edited by - fumanbru on 08/28/2006 18:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  18:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear 'ya winnipegwantsfrank, him making it all the way up here to play for us sure is special.

Fu, you should head up to the Saskatoon show. Would be cool to meet 'ya. Get the Calgarians and we've already got some Edmontonians (Crispy and friends) en route, and we'll have a right old fashioned Canadian brou-ha-ha right here!

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  19:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, a frank black brou-ha-ha in saskatoon! i love it! baby fu says she's in, but mrs fu needs some more convincing!

...."There's a province up in Canada that's right next door to ours.
It's called Saskatchewan. And, uh, in that province there's a
small town, uh, where nothing much ever happens, called
Saskatoon. This is a tune about that town. This is called
'Runnin' Back To Saskatoon'."
~~~~~

I been hangin' around gas stations
I been learnin' 'bout tires
I been talkin' to grease monkeys
I been workin' on cars

Moose Jaw, Broadview, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace and a Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune
Sing another prairie tune....

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  20:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cue the piano solo! Keep working on the convincing and I'll try to come up with ways to make it worth travellers' while to come here. As though a free beer wasn't enough. The last Saskatoon show was great because people from everywhere were here just to see the man, and I figure we need to repeat that. But anyway, I'll let you get back to your Winnipeg discussion. I'd make it out there except I have to be in town that day. I _might_ get to Regina, though.

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  22:00:08  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You talked to a real person on the phone? I got the recorded message thing and it asked me to say and spell my name and address, "555 Main Street South, Winnipeg Manitoba R0X 0X0, that's 5-5-5 M-A-I-N S-T-R-E-E-T S-O-U-T-H W-I-N-N-I-P-E-G <gasp> M-A-N-I-T-O-B-A R-0-X-0-X-0"

The ticket I have says seat 20 and there is no seat 20 anywhere on the seating chart. At Ticketmaster it says a general admission section is in the balcony behind the mixing board! (I think the whole show is GA) I called at about 10:01am because the Ticketmaster website wasn't listing the show right at 10:00am.

OK, well, I think I'm going to phone Pantages' because what I would really like to do is to sit in the S or W loges if it's possible and show off my jewels, if I have to knock over people to get there with rush seating, so be it and look out!

This Sunday show is really (better than anything except being in love?) because, even though I wouldn't think of missing it, I do not have to reschedule anything or not show up for work.

Edited by - hammerhands on 08/28/2006 22:22:53
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  22:21:03  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought there were three Moose towns listed in that song. That must be a live version.

They have an excellent website, but no lyrics, no Randy or Burton either.
Go to Top of Page

RussT
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:31:14  Show Profile  Click to see RussT's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll be at the Winnipeg show. Pretty good that we had the Catholics and Pixies here in the last few years, and now Frank solo. I remember I had tickets to see him in Toronto in the early 90s and I didn't go - something about staying for dinner at my girlfriend's parents. I think it was the Cult of Ray tour. Stupid girlfriend!

Anyway, the seating at the Pantages show is general admission. I can't ever remember being there. Ultravox were supposed to be there in '87, but it was cancelled as soon as it was announced. My joy turned to heartbreak in about 10 seconds.
Go to Top of Page

jeremyw
- FB Fan -

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  08:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fumanbru,

I'll be at the show! I met you at the Catholics show a few years back. We hung around in front of the stage after the concert, and I think I took a picture of you and your wife and Frank, and then you took one of me and him.

I haven't been active on this forum since then, but I thought I'd check out the Winnipeg buzz.

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  21:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent received my tickets yet and ticketmaster wont help me until 24hours before the show :( I'm sure it will work out though. I just hope the highways are good for the trip to Fargo on Saturday.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  03:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeremyw

fumanbru,

I'll be at the show! I met you at the Catholics show a few years back. We hung around in front of the stage after the concert, and I think I took a picture of you and your wife and Frank, and then you took one of me and him.

I haven't been active on this forum since then, but I thought I'd check out the Winnipeg buzz.

Jeremy

hey jeremy, ya i remember! and thanks for taking some of the pics. check this thread out if you like- i've got some of the pics posted there.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14027&whichpage=1

great that you'll be at this show. let’s get this winnipeg buzz going!! it’s a special time when frank comes to play our prairie town (even when we just got 15 cm of snow!) we’ve got a group of 6 going. the plan is to arrive early, get some good seats, then have some bevies! i’ll be wearing my red devil catholics shirt.

and anyone else from the forum feel free to come by and say hi. we’ve got fu, mrs. fu, bro fu, and friends of fu!

chrischob- have a blast in fargo. make sure you fill us in on the show. and i'm sure the tickets will work out. that's happened with me a few times. you'de think you would get better service from ticketmaster for all the "convenience" fees they charge.

Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  21:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I phoned ticketmaster today and got it sorted out, just need to pick them up at the box office on sunday. Looking forward to this weekend, it still seems so far away for reason though..

Chris Choboter

Edited by - chrischob on 10/31/2006 21:48:09
Go to Top of Page

Basha
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  12:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I head that the Frank Black show isn't going to be held at the Pantages Playhouse anymore and is now going to be at the Pyramid! Anyone know anything about that? I heard it was announced in the winnipeg uptown mag.
Go to Top of Page

Basha
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  12:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Basha

I heard that the Frank Black show isn't going to be held at the Pantages Playhouse anymore and is now going to be at the Pyramid! Anyone know anything about that? I heard it was announced in the winnipeg uptown mag.

Nevermind - they just changed it back to Pantages... maybe it was just an error??
Go to Top of Page

jeremyw
- FB Fan -

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  12:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep us posted!

I don't like the Pyramid for shows. It's a nice intimate venue, but it seems they always jack up the volume to the point that everything is distorted. Maybe it's the equipment, maybe the operators, but I'm always disappointed.

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

jeremyw
- FB Fan -

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  12:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I heard that the Frank Black show isn't going to be held at the Pantages Playhouse anymore and is now going to be at the Pyramid! Anyone know anything about that? I heard it was announced in the winnipeg uptown mag.

Nevermind - they just changed it back to Pantages... maybe it was just an error??

What a relief!

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  17:52:54  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just how...is the Kentucky Prophet/
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  04:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought i had read that reid paley was opening? i've been checking out a couple of his cd's. but maybe i read incorrectly.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  06:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Reid was initially slated but sadly no more.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

ratty
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  14:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!
I found this thread when I googled "winnipeg pantages general admission".
Reading this is getting me pumped for this gig.
I'm going solo as I'm the only one in my click that digs frank - unbelievable I know...

Frank at le rendezvous was fantastic. I purposely stayed sober (till later) so that I could remember every detail. I recall at the end of the show frank put one foot on the monitor to see the crowd better and survey the work that he had done – and it was good! I think he genuinely was impressed by the response by the rabid Winnipeg fans.

My ticket also says gen admission ga7 seat 30, ticket master told me a couple of weeks ago that this looks like it might be rush seating – hard to believe tho..

If any finds anything out, please post! Keep on rockin!
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  15:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey ratty! welcome to this kick ass thread! it is rush seating. think anyone will get trampled? frank fans are pretty hard core! i'm going early to make sure i get a good spot.

here's a fb article from the winnipeg sun today.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Entertainment/Music/2006/11/02/2208029-sun.html

Go to Top of Page

ratty
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  16:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!
Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

Muffaletta
- FB Fan -

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  07:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black is playing at the Pyramid on Sunday, November 5th, moved from Pantages. Most likely reason is poor ticket sales.

Doors 7:00
Show 8:30

Not sure if there will be booze available. I've been to all-agers there before where it was dry.

Should be a good show, despite the move. I think there should be enough people there to fill it up.

Cheers,
Muffaletta
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  15:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a call from Ticketmaster telling me the show was moved and its 18+ now. Personnally i am glad it was moved to a more intimate venue, Pantages isnt small at all.

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

jeremyw
- FB Fan -

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  16:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intimacy is definitely a plus. I have my reservations about the Pyramid, but there's no point dwelling on it!

Ticket sales are obviously far below expectations; the Pyramid has a capacity of about 400, whereas Pantages is 1400. (See http://www.manitobamusic.com/index.php?pid=10340)

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

jeremyw
- FB Fan -

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  16:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another plus is that you probably don't need to go to the venue as early to guarantee a good spot. Not only is the Pyramid smaller, but between the opener and FB, I'm sure a lot of people will go to the bar, move around, etc.

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  19:55:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Denis, can you update the tour dates page...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  22:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent been to Pantages in a while but from what i remember it wasnt a very good place for a rock concert. More for plays and stuff. The old Garrick is not a shabby place for concerts either, not a bad spot in the house there.

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

Walker Boh
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
confirmed moved to the pyramid right?
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  22:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the show. Dont have the setlist but there was no acoustic set and no pixies songs. Full house of 400-500 people and of course an awesome show dispite some sound problems in the beginning. The sound problems were the venues and after turning down the sound a touch it was great.

Frank said the real reason they swicthed venues was for snubbing Winnipeg when the Pixies were supposed to play Winnipeg as their first gig.

Anyway its late and here are a couple pics from the show.

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  22:57:42  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you (again) for the pictures!

I got there about a quarter to nine, too late to get a seat, I wandered around trying to find a place where I wouldn't be blocking people's views so I stood imposingly at the right side of the stage near EDF.

Billy Block was hanging around the side when The Kentucky Prophet did his thing. He was amusing.

I don't know if this is all connected, but about three songs in someone was smoking a nice smelling cigarette which was wafting into Frank. About 10 minutes later a guy came stumbling towards the back door. The "Staff" wouldn't let him out to get air. A very beautiful lady in a top hat talked to him and went way out of her way to get him a drink of water, showing what a truly lovely person she is.

The technical problem was distorted monitors, I think, and FB had them turned off. At 666, near the end, his mic was twisting around on him.

I am so impressed that they can pull off some of those songs with the weird counting live.

Frank did Manitoba (solo electric) just before Sing For Joy. When he sang, "Up In Manitoba" the crowd cheered and he stopped and said, "I know, I know."

After the show I went out for a couple of smokes where a nice fellow from Kenora (without a computer) named Dave came up and asked me if I was a bouncer on the tour, "No!" He was thrilled to be at the show, a little disappointed that he didn't realise until it was too late that the drummer had been standing next to him for 10 minutes. I suggested if he went behind the bus he could meet BB & FB. He came back all smiles with an autograph and said I had made his night!

The second and third songs were Re-Make/Remodel and Living On Soul. Who nabbed a set list?

Edited by - hammerhands on 11/06/2006 03:44:37
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  23:20:15  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know they did, in no particular order!

ack..what was first, Calistan??
Re-Make/Remodel
Living On Soul
That Burnt Out Rock'N'Roll
Kick-It (also done in Fargo)
Suffering
-something I didn't recognize "Do what you want"-
Raiderman
Headache
Ten Percenter
I'm not Dead, I'm in Pittsburgh
Bullet