Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

fumanbru and myself decided a designated Thread would be a great place to share and read about all of our close and not so close encounters with The Man, and / or all those connected to The Man.

So, whether it's an one on one personal encounter, or an encounter with a friend of a friend of The Man's, share it here. Or maybe your encounter involves The Man's old band, The PIXIES, or the band he's taking a hiatus from, The Catholics, or the new 'Comb Cats, or anything else connected to "all things Frank", post it!

[No appologies are being offered if this is a duplicate thread, 'cause I really don't care if this thread already exists somewhere deep in the bowels of fb.net, cause it sure ain't out in the open, where something as significant as this belongs]

Post 'em here please, even if you've posted your encounter on another thread, we need it posted here as well for convenience and to preserve a more complete official record. Thanks.

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:38:55  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I nearly met Frank at the Underworld in 2003 but my friend had to catch a train so we left. Five minutes later Frank was at the bar apparently. Close, but not so close....

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool,...do you care to elaborate?

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one I posted the "day after" the encounter. However, so that these can all be located at one convenient thread, here it is again and with pictures this time:

I wanted to share some interesting stories about meeting the Pixies last night prior to their show at the Ryman.

My brother (Phillip), my son (Garrett, 11 years old, fifth-grader) and I hung out by the backstage door in the side alley between the Ryman and Robert's Western World and Jack's BBQ last night before the show. We got there at 6:30 p.m. and the first person we met was Kelley Deal standing outside by the backstage door. I introduced her as Kim Deal to my son and she politely corrected me and stated that she was Kelley. Well, I quickly recovered from my mistake and asked her about the Breeders. She was very polite and allowed me to take her picture standing next to my son.

The next person we met was David Lovering. He was very polite also. He allowed pictures to be taken and signed autographs. Very much the gentleman.

While I was inside buying T-shirts, my brother met Joey and got his autograph.

And, then came The Man. A Chevy Suburban slowly drove up the alley and stopped about 10 feet from the backstage door. The Man and Kim emerged from the vehicle and we met them just before they entered the Ryman. They were both very polite. They were about 7 of us out there and Frank and Kim stopped to sign autographs for everyone. Frank posed for two pictures with my son. He smiled when I told that my son (11 years old) has grown up listening to Frank Black and now he was disovering the Pixies. He smiled again when I told him that we were really excited about Honeycomb coming out and that we would love for him to showcase the album around town prior to its release. After signing autographs and posing for my pictures, The Man and Kim ascended up the backstage steps, and the rest, is history.

It was truly a wonderful experience. My brother and I are amazed and my son is on cloud 9.

OldManInaCoffeeCan, October 7, 2004

The Boys waiting at Jacks (CoffeeCan is taking the picture, CoffeeCan’s brother, Phillip is the one smoking a cigarette)

The Man with his game-face on, carrying the two Honeycomb briefcases

The Man signing autographs

The Man and Garrett

Kim and Garrett

David and Garrett

Kelley and Garrett backstage steps to the Ryman Auditorium (the Grand ‘Ole Opry)

Kelley serenading Garrett with autographed guitar

The PIXIES, Ryman Auditorium, October 6, 2004

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool pictures!! I envy you!!! :P
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  12:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How 'bout a close or not so close encounter, ccuadros, do you have some to share? If not, no problem, but if you do, please post 'em here.

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 08/07/2005 12:16:44
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  13:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly no man....I'm so far...I was at 6 mts from the man at the in Brazil concert last year, but I don't have pictures...the organizers didn't allow cameras.I think this was a far encounter...

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  14:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are you kidding me ccuadros, 6 meters is close. How was the show? Anything interesting happen? I didn't realize the PIXIES played Brazil last year. By the way, how did you get so close, did you have reserved seats or did you arrive early, very early?

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  14:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I would like a Picture with the Pixies too!!!!! jejeje

Seriously...the concert was great, 28 songs, what can I say, perfect, although I missed Rock Music.

Pixies played in a festival called Curitiba Pop Festival,in Curitiba, Brazil,28 bands played in 2 days. Teenage Fan Club played there too. There's no seats, was a beautifull venue in the middle of a park . I travelled 2.500 kms from Chile so I had to be near from the stage, i got there early but with some brazilian friends we managed to be close to the stage,and I enjoyed a lot!!! one of my dreams became reality.

;)
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  15:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was within a few feet of rich gilbert at a FB and C gig in london 2003, when i was entering the venue. woot. but i wasn't sure if it was him or not until he'd gone.

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

selkie bride
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  15:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've met Frank Black several times now, but the first time was the best. Frank was running to his bus after the show (Cult of Ray) and it was clear that he didn't want to stop and sign autographs. As he passed by, I shouted out, "Wait! You're my Beatles!"

He stopped and turned around. Then I said, "Really... I love your music! You've heard of Dead Heads, right? Well... I'm a BLACK HEAD!" He laughed at that. He was very friendly and gracious--he signed a concert ticket for me--and he even encouraged me and my friend to follow their tour down south as Black Heads.

It's a beautiful day...
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  15:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great! He is the man! :)
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  15:18:49  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
14th February 2001, Manchester Uni

I loved this gig.
We didn't really no what to expect as we'd never been there before. We grabbed a few beers, then noticed people starting to make their way up some stairs. Like you do, we decided to follow (baa!) only to find what looked like my old High School's gym. Except with a stage graced by guitars.

Oh yeah! Catholic time.

It was easy enough to make our way to the front as it wasn't exactly "packed to the rafters", but we stood back and watched the show. We got closer only to be welcomed by Rich. G and his magical drumstick. Good shit, man. Great show. That's my closest encounter, oldman.

oh, and...

October 6, 2003, Birmingham Academy 2

stood 'stage left', few metres away from Dave Mc.

Just your average Frank fan experience, but some pretty damn close encounters.
We were in the same building, and that's gotta count for something
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  16:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, now we're gettin somewhere.

ccuadros traveling 2,500 kms from Chile to get up close and personal with The Man in Brazil

PixieSteve walking into a London club with Rich G

Selkie Bride stopping The Man cold in His tracks by shouting out "Wait, you're my beatles" [brillant by the way] and impressing The Man with his coining of the phrase "Black Head" to describe his "dead head" like obsession with Frank

fbc reminding me of his Rich G. magical drumstick on "Los Angeles" (correct?)[fbc, guess you better elaborate a little more on this encounter for those that haven't heard it and for those of us who want to hear it again, please], along with being in close proximity to Dave Mc on October 6, 2003 (hey, that's exactly one year prior to my encounter with Frank and his old band, coincidence? hmmmmm)

This is good stuff!

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 08/07/2005 16:05:30
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  17:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMINACC... I loved seeing that pic of Garret and FB. It was so cool to see him in pics with everyone else! Man, he's one cool kid with a cool dad!

Thanks everyone else for your stories.

I will have to do a search of when I posted about the one time when I was lucky enough to meet the Man.

"I ain't goin to be what I ain't"
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  17:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK GET READY FOR ONE LOOOOOOOONG POST!!

Posted - 12/19/2004 : 15:48:51
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awww... wow Broken face... thanks so much for the pic!!!!

Thanks Rita.

Dayanara, no I didn't touch his thigh, I think were both pretty happy in our own relationships, But being the touchy feely person I am, I touched his arm and well read the rest sweetie!

Everyone, I am totally humbled an honored about this whole thing.

It's funny, I jokingly described the meeting to my husband as the Braidy Bunch episode where Marcia Meets Davy Jones from the Monkeys, minus the crush!

That is so cool!!! Wow photographic evidence of meeting the KING! It was the first time I had met Frank Black. My teenage concert dreams came true! How better can it get than two shows in one night and meeting the greatest singer song writer ever!

I feel so lucky, much thanks to Cult of Frank and Mad Tempest for hooking everything up.

Sweet Miss Violet, if you happen to read this or hear about this. I hope by now you are back in the arms of your honey!! Hope you are feeling well.

Wow, here's the deal. We met up in Cult of Frank's room and hung out for awhile. I must say I love meeting up with other people from the FBF. Then we met up with Mad Tempest and everyone else from pixiesmusic.com. I only knew a few people from there, but it was great meeting everyone. Especially Spiral Daisy who was an absolute cutie and sweetheart.

After hanging out awhile there, we walked a few blocks to the Hammerstein.

We were met by the documentary crew filming the DVD at the back door, they followed us in and I hung near the back, I was so giddy But trying to keep it under wraps and be cool at the same time. Two highly caffeinated drinks also had me really wound up.

So I hung near the back with Fudd and his two sons. (Sorry I forgot your screen names guys!!!)

We were all getting our digital cameras and stuff for Frank to sign out.(Which we ended up not having a chance to get to.) I had picked up a bunch of really cool posters on the way out of the first gig, I had gotten a whole bunch gave them out to fellow fans. And kept two. One for me and one for the fab person that helped me get the tickets to the Fineline show. (Unfortunatley I left them in convenient mart where Broken Face, Echo Park, myself and my husband went to grab some water before parting ways after an amazing night!!)

I was just trying to hang near the back. We hiked up three sets of stairs to a very narrow and long dressing room.

They told us to have a seat, and we waited for I am guessing 10 minutes or so. It was so cool hanging out with all the fans and we definitely had an instant rapport between us, regardless of what forum we mostly use or age or what ever.

So, am kinda sitting there and being nervous, I am thinking in my head¡K like I have been thinking all day. What do I say to the man??? What can I say that will be poignant and will burn a snapshot in his mind of who I make a great impression and he might have a small chance of remembering me.

So Frank walks in Since I came in last, I was sitting by the door and could see him right I way.

He walks through the dressing room, and shakes everyone's hands. Then he doubles back and sits next to me in a chair.

The DVD crew is filming all of this and I am like, man, am here next to this legend, and man I don't want to say anything stupid to be preserved forever.

So we get chatting and it was a casual and cool. I keep telling my self this ain't Crossfire so keep it casual. Don't rapid fire all the questions you really want to ask like tell me all about your alien encounter, tell me all about Violet and how she is doing these days, how have you changed as a person since the early days? I also didn't want to ask anything too personal. Or gush all the ways I always thought I would gush to him and all the special personal sentimental reasons that makes the music so special to me. On the other hand I wanted to ask him personal questions like how are you feeling? Have you been able to take care of your self on the road, or is it hard? Are you happy where you are?

I also didn't want to ask anything too personal, like I notice the engagement ring/wedding band on your finger is now metal, probably either platinum or titanium instead of the one that looked more like a thick black rubber band ring earlier this year. He still called Violet his girlfriend, so I am guessing at least for now, the nice band is an engagement ring.

Dayanara, I am so sorry, we didn¡¦t have a chance to talk about you on the forum and since it was being taped, so we didn't get a chance to fit it in so sorry!

So he sits down next to me in the chair, and it was just like so cool. Dean filmed some of it so we might work on putting some of it on the web.

It was funny because he joked that at first he thought the meeting was with dot.coms, and he thought it was a business deal. He seemed to be refreshed it was just a bunch of people from Frank Black Forum and Pixiesmusic.com

And we were honored and impressed he had the time to meet with us.

But it was just so cool, it was just almost like shooting the breeze with a friend you haven't caught up with for a few months.

It was comfortable and relaxed. We just chit-chatted and asked questions. It was laid back and chill.

I don't remember everything. But it was really cool.

Frank mentioned that Violet and Frank will be having a boy, and they will be naming him Jack. Which we all agreed was a very cool name. Then, I can't remember if it was Frank or someone else that joked that he would be known as Jack Black and how there is an actor with the same name.

Echo Park asked a lot of really good music related questions. I can't remember who asked but of course the topic of Honeycomb coming out in 2005. I think it was Broken Face that brought up that it's been leaked on the internet. This was new news to Frank but he kinda had a casual oh well attitude about the whole thing.

Someone asked about the Catholics, and he said he hasn't talked to them in awhile.

I remember asking him about some memorable times during the tour. He talked about when they in Iceland the band had time for one of their only breaks together on tour. They were shown around into the hinterlands. Frank said it was one of the coolest places he's been. It was really cool hearing him talk about it and it was and I could almost picture being there. It was surprising to learn that only foxes and birds are native to Iceland.

Someone asked him what type of music he's been listening to lately and he said Jazz. He mentioned an act he has discovered lately, but I forgot what it is. I wish I would have asked him more about this, such as are you new to Jazz or have you always liked it? Is this passion going to have more of an influence on your music?

I tried asking a question, but it came out wrong about Bam Thwok. I was trying to get at the rumor that the Pixies may have recorded another song Frank wrote for Shrek II when they recorded Bam Thwok. But it came across wrong. But Frank mentioned that they haven't been playing Bam Thwok lately because since it's new and not as well known, the crowd doesn't respond to it the same as it does the other songs in the rotation. Because of this Kim doesn't like playing it.

Then someone asked if the Pixies have been rehearsing any new material and Frank said no. Usually since they quit going to sound checks a few months ago, they really for the most part hang out only on stage. But on the otherhand, he didn't rule anything out, either.

Last, but not definitely least, Kim and her other band the Breeders are planning to release a new album!!! Frank mentioned that Kim and Kelly have been working together with another Breeder and collaborating for the new rerecording.

It was cool because Frank talked a lot about what life on the road is like.

He says they all go to Starbucks all the time. Kim brings in Starbucks for everyone.
He said Kim and Kelly mostly hang out in Kim's Dressing room and hang out all night knitting after shows.

In the Ryder, Dave is supposed to get a new deck of cards at each venue. He doesn't always get them, but when he does he's really happy because after some time, they get a little greasy from doing too many magic tricks. He says Dave has been known to hang out around the venue. In New York, he would hang out at a bus stop and do card tricks for people waiting for the bus.

He says Joey is recording a sound track on a documentary on snake handling. He says from time to time, Kim and Frank will go in and help him out.

He says they do come down to the dressing room shared by Dave, Joey and Frank because that's where the food is and they have Hummus and lots of Cheese. Then Frank said something like we've had hummus on our Rider since 89.

Here is the first time when Daisy girl inserted foot into mouth..I tried to make a factious remark about how they were ahead of their time with their food just like their music and it came out wrong. Then I jokingly was like you're gonna edit that part out right? Wish those video tapes were like the fourm where you can just edit it right away.

Right about then, my cell phone went off and it was so embarrassing.

We chatted about other things. It was so amazing.

I accidentally touched his arm cuz I am a touchy feely person. So I felt bad, but he was cool with it. Then later on he touch my upper arm too. What a sweet, genuine, intelligent, funny guy!! I still can't believe I met Frank Black.

After awhile Frank said, it looks like the music has stopped. I need to go down and do my La La Las. (To warm up his voice.)

We all said good by and parted ways. Stunned and happy we were all In Heaven!!!

If you ever read this Frank, thanks it was so cool meeting you!

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  19:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all these stories are great! ya daisy, i remember seeing that video with you, the man, broken face, cult of frank, echo park, and others- that was fantastic! old man- great pic's and story- i especially love the one with garrett and lovering. i want to be a black head! to bad i got to work for a living.

ok. so here's mine recopied......

quote:
Originally posted by OldManInaCoffeeCan

[Hey fu, where was that picture taken, and what's the story on it, that is in your profile here at fb.net?]

thanks for asking! so here's the story. i've told it numerous times on the forum but i never get sick of telling it. so i'll do the honours and give you the long version since i know you will appreciate all the little details and background. sit back and enjoy. (and apologies in advance for slightly taking the thread off course.)

back in 2002 the catholics were starting to tour and announcing tour dates. up to that point i have seen the man live twice- in minni and chitown. both absolutely amazing shows! winnipeg, my hometown, has never had the pleasure of hosting frank or the pixies and wpg has lots of frank fans!!

so i emailed the record companies asking them if they could be so kind and forward on a message to mr. black from a devoted fan. it went something like this...mr. black. love your music, been listening to your material for the last 10 years. you are the king! lots of fb fans up in wpg who'd love to see you perform live. we'll promise to sell lots of tickets. warmest regards, fu.

so anyways, a week after i sent the email, i see on fbnet that fb&c's are doing a western canadian tour and playing in winnipeg!! no shit. how excited was i? did frank get my email? maybe, maybe not, but FRANK DEFINATELY CARES ABOUT HIS FANS. call me kukoo, but i truly believe that i have some cosmic connection with the man and his music. my baby daughter was born on the same date as his son jack thompson!! how cool is that! close encounters of the third kind? i don't know but frank's music touches me like no one else's. (please no lewd remarks joey joe jo jr.)

so anyways back to the story. tickets went on sale for a beautiful intimate venue, but much too small for fb&c's. 400 person capacity only!! WTF! so i got up early, made sure i was first in line and got 15 tickets. there was no way i was missing out. there were about 8 harcore frank buddies that i got tickets for and 7 more to those friends with solid musical taste but for whatever strange unknown reason had yet to join the fb cult. not surprisingly, tickets sold out in a few days. i felt bad for all those fb/pixie fans who missed out. so anyways, to my delight they decided to change venues to a hall that holds 2000 people! and yes it did sell out!

then a very nice fbnet forum member from winnipeg, Qris, sent out a message on the forum saying that he was out of town and couldn't believe that he missed out on getting tickets. he pleaded for help. it turned out that one of my friends was unable to go to the show, so i offered up the ticket to Qris. the ticket was only $20 ($20 to see fb&c's- total insanity!! best $20 i ever spent) so this guy ends up forcing $60 on me. i'm like, no way bro, $20 max. he insists and says he's eternally grateful. so i ended up taking the extra $40 and forwarded to the fbnetsite, knowing they were asking for small donations to run the site. the least i could for the fabulous people that make this site happen.

so anyways, getting there...

the show was absolutely amazing! mrs. fu, my friends, and i had an amazing time. and it turned out that Qris is a professional photographer. i saw him at the show and he was first row snapping pics. he later generously burned a disk of concert photos for me! talk about good karma!

so i had heard from the forum that frank would often sign autographs for fans after they hauled all of their equipment off the stage and onto their bus. so, of course, i brought my camera and a few fb cd's. my wife, a couple of friends, and i got to chat with the man after the show. he was so GRACIOUS. that day the band drove up from minni in a snow storm (probably a 9 hr drive), performed a high energy killer 2 hr show, then preceded to load all their equipment to their bus- then take time to talk to their fans!! INCREDIBLE. i'll never forget this. you couldn't wipe my stupid grin off of my face. so he signed a couple of my cd sleeves (one to fumanbru and the other to jenny aka mrs fumanbru and put YIA- yippy-iye-aye), chatted it up a bit, and took a few photos. i'll post a few of the pics below. frank was smiling and having lots of fun. he did look exhausted but could tell he really enjoyed our enthusiasm.

we chatted for about 5 minutes. i can't really remember what we talked about. i was just thinking to myself, "holy shit, i just shook the man's hand and i'm having a conversation with him!" i remember my buddy calling him frankus blackus (his former username on the forum). we talked about how great the show was, thanks for coming to wpg, asked how the tour was going, and asked about the upcoming album SMYT's. he knew about the forum and said he would check it out the odd time.

definately a red letter day for fu!

yippy-iye-aye!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"

Edited by - fumanbru on 08/07/2005 19:11:17
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  19:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....a few more parts to my earlier story that i left out. so i was very proud to go to the ticket outlet and purchase 15 fb&c's tickets. as i said 8 were big fans and the other 7 liked songs such as headache and los angeles but never really got into his other music. so i made them customised fb cd's with a few pixies song to wet their appetite. i gave one of my buddies the fb/pixie mix cd as a gift and he said, "holy shit fu, are you going for fan of the year award? you're one serious fb geek!" i replied, "proud to be one, but you should head down to fbnet and check out some of these uberfans! there's this one very funny dude from california- goes by the name of floop- i think he's seen the man perform live over 20 times!"

so anyways, we all had a great time at the show and i think frank got a lot more serious fans after that performance in the peg!

here's another pic. it's my frank black shrine that i hang over our pong table in the basement!

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  01:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw, that is too cool, fumanbru!!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  02:22:12  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool. I suppose it's mrs fumanbru on the pictures?

My best moment with the Man was at a gig in Paris, June 2003. Frank announced a solo acoustic show at the Batofar, which is a small boat on the river Seine that usually plays electronic stuff. (I used to go there a lot but sadly the owners changed and it sucks now). I think the place can hold about 200 people. Needless to say the boat was packed, with a huuuuge line outside of people needing tickets. The show was awesome (first time I heard some of the SMYT songs, acoustic version of Massif Centrale...). Some of you have a boot of the gig. After the gig I waited a bit outside the boat, hoping to catch Frank on his way out to get an autograph, but as my friends wre there waiting for me I eventually joined them and we went back to the boat to have a beer at the bar situated on the deck. Clever move, as 5 minutes later Frank walked in, alone with his guitar in his case, and bought a beer. I was in awe. So I approached him and the lamest excuse I could think about to talk to him was to pretend I was a member of the FB.net web team! Which isn't entirely false, but my only participation here is to update the tour dates section of the site, and I'm usually very late in doing it. Anyway I told him we here at FB.net had heard an interview he had given a couple of days before for a radio station in Edinburgh, where he mentioned the site and the fans on the forum. I told him we were very grateful for him to recognize the work that was being done here, and he said "well tell everyone I say hello". I thanked him, we chatted a couple minutes more and I had my Marsist 7" ep signed and my copy of Devil's Workshop too, and a friend of mine had his cool Fb&TC t-shirt (the one with the small Indians) signed too. Then I shook his hand (yeah, still unwashed after 2 years) and he kept chatting and signing autographs for another 15 minutes or so. And I lived happily ever after!

Denis

"We brush our teeth with tequila." - Guitar Wolf
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  02:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I briefly met the Catholics one by one and then Frank as they left a show at the Concorde 2 in Brighton, as we waited by their tourbus for a few drunken hours. My pal Joe (drums in my new band, drummed in Nimrod's Son) got a hug out of a very bemused Rich Gilbert if I recall correctly. I wasn't as "starstuck" at meeting (loosest sense of the word) FB as I thought I might be, he didn't really seem in the mood anyways and I was pretty drunk. Maybe he's not that kind of guy, no big. He ain't no dancing bear. Wish I'd got something signed though. I felt like saying "HEY I PLAY IN A PIXIES TRIBUTE BAND YOU'VE HEARD OF US A SOUNDGUY AT A VENUE TOLD ME HE'S SPOKEN TO YOU ABOUT US HEY ISNT THAT COOL?!" but figured I'd look like a retard, so I didn't. Good thing probably.

I think I've had loads of dreams bout meeting the Pixies, does that count?

I am so jealous right about now.

Join the cult of / We rip off the logo of Moog
www.myspace.com/doog - www.doog.tk
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  06:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

cool. I suppose it's mrs fumanbru on the pictures?

yes, that's mrs. fu! she's a big fan as well. if you look close enough in the picture of the fu's and the man, you can see that she has her arm around him with her fingernails dug into his shoulder! any other man and i'd be jealous!

as an aside it's nice that we can appreciate each other's musical tastes. she's a big abba fan and i just recently bought her tickets to the mamma mia musical for our wedding anniversary. so you never know, maybe one day she'll return the favour with plane tickets to new york accompanied by tickets to josh black's teenager of the year musical!

and great story! these really make me smile. solid opening line- fn.net webteam! brilliant.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  06:22:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well how would you start a conversation with Frank? "Say, do any of you guys know how to Madison?"

Denis

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  06:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey denis- i was being sincere! but that madison line is pretty good as well!

Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  07:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have mixed feelings about this thread on one side i love it and enjoy reading all these unbelievable stories but at the same time i hate it cause im insanley jealous of you guys. iv never met or even seen the man (my first pixies gig is the 24th of august ohhh im excited)

"To be known as an underdog - that can only be a good thing. It's better than sucking."
- Frank Black

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  07:04:49  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's your chance to post in this thread then, Marsist! Try humping Frank's leg and you'll be the forum's hero!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  08:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha ha

me: "hey frank im such a big fan, can i ask you a favour?"
frank: "sure, what?"
me: "may i hump your leg?"
frank: "security!!!!!"

"To be known as an underdog - that can only be a good thing. It's better than sucking."
- Frank Black

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  08:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I left the Camden Underworld 03 show to get a train before the Man graced the bar with his presence, haha!
Go to Top of Page

jose
- FB Fan -

France
140 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  10:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Marsist

i have mixed feelings about this thread on one side i love it and enjoy reading all these unbelievable stories but at the same time i hate it cause im insanley jealous of you guys. iv never met or even seen the man (my first pixies gig is the 24th of august ohhh im excited)

totally insane

I said Pretty Please !
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  21:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a link that I took from pixiesmusic.com, there you can download a video of the summary of Curitiba Pop Festival 2004, there you can see how was it

http://wickedsons.com/media/

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  04:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THE FROG MEETS THE MAN (11/6/03)

Posted - 11/07/2003 06:31:27

[...]

Oops, I forgot to say – I offered the Man a bottle of white wine (Riesling cuvée 2001, Médaille d’or 2002 des grand vins alsaciens). I met him after the gig, as he was quietly chatting with some fans. He was with Scott and I heard the drummer talking about having a drink downtown or somewhere. I took immediately advantage of this unexpected occasion. I gave the bottle to Frank and told him something brilliant like "I know you love good wines, now you’ll know I love your music!" To say the truth I felt like the famous trees of the Arizona desert – petrified. Frank looked at the bottle and said : "Hey – great! Great! Thanks !" He seemed a little tired but he shook firmly and spontaneously my hand as I was desperately trying to remember at least one of the 50 questions I had planned to ask him. Finally I took my copy of SMYT out of my coat and asked him for an autograph. Simple coincidence or not, he put his signature on the lyrics of New House of the Pope (which is, as you probably know, his personal translation of "Châteauneuf-du-Pape", his favorite wine). He thanked me again and went away before I could remember my first question.

-----
When will Lyle Workman find Frank again?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  05:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a cool little encounter!
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  07:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, FITS, what, do you carry bottles of wine with you always, or only when you're going out for the night?

When I was younger I would always bring a pint of "Southern Comfort" or "Jack Daniels" when I attended rock n roll concerts.

[post the link to your thread "THE FROG MEETS THE MAN" here, if you don't mind, [edit:or better yet, copy and paste the full story here]]

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 08/20/2005 07:50:56
Go to Top of Page

Z_Zoquis
- FB Fan -

145 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  11:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I envy you guys. FB is one of the few artists I'd really like to sit down and have a coffee/beer with. He just seems like he'd be a really interesting guy to chat with.

Fumanbru - great story. I'm a pegger myself. Sadly, I managed to miss seeing both the Catholics and recent Pixies show. If the man should ever return I solemnly pledge I will be there come hell or high water.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  12:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Z. well ... don't give up hope.

I NEVER thought I'd meet him. I guess my best advise is when you do meet him just forget that it's FB and it's some guy... cuz i was rather nervous and then you are like in your head and not in the moment if that makes sense.

thanks ccuadros for the links and Old Man In a Coffee Can I have told you off line that those pics rock! ;)

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  18:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks z! great to have a neighbor on board!

and nice job frog! very classy.

hey, does anyone have a link to the following encounter below. it would be great on this thread. i can't remember who posted it. i think i read it in the last year. i thought it was rich gilbert but did a search under his name and couldn't find it. the story goes something like this...

...frank was playing to a crowd of mainly junior high kids i believe in the u.s. then i think in the middle of the set he asked one of the kids what his name was. the kid was petrofied- said "joe fan" and then frank said something like great to meet you. then he went around the room and asked each kid to introduce themselves and had a small chat with them. it was a very touching story and i'm definately not doing it justice but i would love to read it again if anyone can find it on the forum.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000