Absolutely.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  15:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.theorangepeel.net/

I'll be there. I like the Orange Peel because you can't smoke inside.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  16:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

http://www.theorangepeel.net/

I'll be there. I like the Orange Peel because you can't smoke inside.

Move north. You can't smoke indoors in NJ, NY or CT in bars, venues or restaurants.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com

Edited by - Broken Face on 09/01/2006 16:01:52
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  18:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did used to live in Maryland but I think when I saw Frank Black in DC and Baltimore I smelled like smoke afterwards. Not sure if venues have changed since then.

Most restaurants in Asheville have non-smoking and smoking sections. You'd think chain restaurants like Olive Garden and IHOP would have no smoking in whatever city.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  12:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, anyone who's coming, I'll see you there.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  12:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think you should be allowed to smoke anywhere in a place called Ashville
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  13:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once went to bar in Durham where they had free cigarettes sitting on the bar (like peanuts or pretzels).
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  16:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i think you should be allowed to smoke anywhere in a place called Ashville

hehe. that is slightly ironic.
Go to Top of Page

cbogdon
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  14:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up my tickets at the box-office over the weekend . Snuck a look at the monitor when they looked me up, and there were only six names for people who had bought tix online (mine included).
Of course, there's more than a month to go, and people can buy tickets at the box-office now, but that just seemed a bit bizarre.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  21:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa that's crazy! I was telling the friends that are coming with me to hurry up and buy tickets now because they might sell out. I have to admit though that I'd love a small Frank Black show.

quote:
Originally posted by cbogdon

I picked up my tickets at the box-office over the weekend . Snuck a look at the monitor when they looked me up, and there were only six names for people who had bought tix online (mine included).
Of course, there's more than a month to go, and people can buy tickets at the box-office now, but that just seemed a bit bizarre.

Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  00:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, and since I live in Charleston, SC (5 hours away), I bought will-call tickets online. Do you know if it's cool if I pick them up right as I enter the show, or should I show up a little bit earler than I planned? (I'm going to be there early anyway)

quote:

Go to Top of Page

cbogdon
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  13:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boxoffice is open an hour before the doors open (don't know when that is). I picked mine up early just so I wouldn't have to deal with a line, but it should work either way.
If you're there early, you can get your tacos and beer a couple doors down at Mamacitas...
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  23:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man, thanks for the taco idea! I'll definitely have to stop by there.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  18:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was mine on there? I should pick up my tickets too.

Barley's is a restaurant/bar that has some yummy pizza. It's a 2 minute walk from the Orange Peel.

Asheville kind of lacks in the pizza department. The best places are Asheville Brew and View, Barley's, & Marcos.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  12:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anbody have good advice about where to park?
Go to Top of Page

brentnc
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  18:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there.

Jambands and bluegrass usually draw big crowds in Asheville. It wouldn't surprise me if the turnout wasn't pretty low for this show.

As far as parking there is a lot down below the Orange Peel on a street that runs behind Wild Wings Cafe that has some good free metered spots. They are pretty eager to tow vehicles in Asheville so I would suggest using a parking garage if you aren't sure about a lot. There is a parking garage beside the Fine Arts theater(about a 2 minute walk to the Peel) that would be very convinient.

EDIT: if any one hears about an in store please keep us informed. Of course I am sad to say most of the great record stores in downtown Asheville have closed down in the last year :(

Edited by - brentnc on 10/10/2006 19:01:08
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  22:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome show tonight. Don't think it sold out but there was a pretty good turnout. I won't be able to remember the setlist completely in order but I'll name as many songs as I can (as close to in order as possible). He started with a short acoustic set, then the drummer joined, then Eric Drew on bass, then The Jarvis guy on lead.

ACOUSTIC:
I Gotta Move
Wave of Mutilation
Song of the Shrimp (He messed up and stopped and said "Fuckin' A")
California Bound
Los Angeles

FRANK+DRUMMER:
Cactus

FRANK/DRUMMER/EDF:
Headache

FULL BAND:
I'll Be Blue
Johnny Barleycorn
Bullet
Horrible Day
I Burn Today
My Terrible Ways
I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)
Raider Man
All My Ghosts
Living on Soul
Nadine
Ten Percenter

ENCORE: (never officially left the stage after Ten Percenter)
Sing for Joy

Here are a couple others he played but I can't remember in which section:
-John the Revelator
-A new one about his dad/I think in B minor
-Some cover song, something about being "Dead and Gone"
-one bad ass song I'd never heard that was very quick and upbeat

Am I missing anything? Someone can do this better than me I'm sure. I'm merely the tabmaster
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  02:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Awesome show tonight. Don't think it sold out but there was a pretty good turnout. I won't be able to remember the setlist completely in order but I'll name as many songs as I can (as close to in order as possible). He started with a short acoustic set, then the drummer joined, then Eric Drew on bass, then The Jarvis guy on lead.

ACOUSTIC:
I Gotta Move
Wave of Mutilation
Song of the Shrimp (He messed up and stopped and said "Fuckin' A")
California Bound
Los Angeles

FRANK+DRUMMER:
Cactus

FRANK/DRUMMER/EDF:
Headache

FULL BAND:
I'll Be Blue
Johnny Barleycorn
Bullet
Horrible Day
I Burn Today
My Terrible Ways
I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)
Raider Man
All My Ghosts
Living on Soul
Nadine
Ten Percenter

ENCORE: (never officially left the stage after Ten Percenter)
Sing for Joy

Here are a couple others he played but I can't remember in which section:
-John the Revelator
-A new one about his dad/I think in B minor
-Some cover song, something about being "Dead and Gone"
-one bad ass song I'd never heard that was very quick and upbeat

Am I missing anything? Someone can do this better than me I'm sure. I'm merely the tabmaster

The one about his dad that was in B minor was "The Water Song."
I'm pretty sure the bad ass song you were speaking of is "Gyaneshwar."
As for the "Dead and Gone" one, I THINK you might be speaking of "All Around The World"

By the way, were you the guy with the long black hair in front of DJ that was taking notes of the setlist?

I'm sure of the following list though according to the setlist I got.

Headache was played before DJ came up although it was supposed to be for the whole band.

Then as following:
Johnny Barleycorn
Bullet
I'll Be Blue
Gyaneshwar
Horrible Day
I Burn Today
I'm Not Dead (I'm In Pittsburgh) [since it was cowritten by Paley, he played it in his set too, along with "Take What You Want"]
Raider Man
My Terrible Ways
Dead Man's Curve
All My Ghosts
Living on Soul
[not on setlist but a song was added here that was what I believe was "All Around the World." I know I remember "Want a needle in my arm" repeated over and over]
Nadine
Ten Percenter

Encore: Sing For Joy

I wish I could remember what song it was he broke out in the middle of Los Angeles.

Edited by - lumpy on 10/18/2006 03:25:47
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  02:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Review:

My personal highlight of the show: "Dead Man's Curve"
I thought it was amazing enough when I heard it on the podcast, but with the full band it was rockin' as hell.

I also absolutely LOVED "Gyaneshwar." It had this upbeat, bouncy feel with perfectly fitting chord progressions. It's almost reminded me a bit of "Something Against You" minus the Pixies influence.

The block of Dead Man's Curve, All My Ghosts, Living on Soul, All Around the World, and Nadine had so much energy. I could not stop dancing.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  02:52:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lumpy
I wish I could remember what song it was he broke out in the middle of Los Angeles.

Could it be Guthrie's "Coming Into Los Angeles"? He's done it before.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  02:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait for Dead Man's Curve, Gyaneshwar, All Around the World, and The Water Song to be released. Those were actually my favorite of the night.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  02:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also: Interesting experience after the show:

From the various rumors I've heard, Frank is very easy to talk to after shows and very compliant. I was a bit fooled after tonight, but I just thought he was cooler for it.
3 or 4 fans made the adventure around back of the Orange Peel to talk to Frank including myself and 2 of my friends. We waited about 5 minutes, when Frank came out walking towards the bus. He began walking. As he came near me, I called out "Mr. Thompson" and held out a set list, Oddballs CD, and sharpie. He didn't stop walking but grabbed them out of my hands signed them quickly then handed them back to me. As I looked down at them he responded, "Don't check! It's all there!" Another guy as he came to the door to his bus asked for an interview. Frank responded, "A fucking interview? I gotta go call my kids." He enters the bus and slams the door behind him. This is why Frank Black is my hero.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  03:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone know why the third member of the Reid Paley trio was missing. Just guitar, vocals, and bass was cool. But I'm a bit concerned for the drummer.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  03:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

Could it be Guthrie's "Coming Into Los Angeles"? He's done it before.

Denis

THAT'S the one!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  05:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did anyone know why the third member of the Reid Paley trio was missing. Just guitar, vocals, and bass was cool. But I'm a bit concerned for the drummer.

Reid mentioned to me once that his drummer, because of work and family commitments, doesn't tour with him all that often.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Superabound666
- FB Fan -

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  05:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a very good show. He opened with an acoustic set which included 2 pixies tunes and the elvis shrimp song cover. FB rendered the songs with quirky twists and even abubtly ended the shrimp song. He played several songs from his new release including I'm not dead (im in pittsburgh) ... crowd got into this one. He played Raider Man which is a fav of mine. He also rocked out on Johnny Barleycorn after a morbid intro. FB spoke to the crowd as much as I've ever seen and got the crowd charged up with rocking versions of Nadine, All My Ghosts, and 666. I'm a little fuzzy still after arriving home at about 4:30 am so I'm hoping others will post the entire setlist. I look forward to seeing him again on Sunday at the 9:30 club where I've seen him before and even had a short conversation with him as he passed through the crowd before the show. Frank mentioned that it was his first time at the orange peel and it was my mine as well. Good place - arched roof instead of the flat type cats cradle has where he often plays in NC.. no smoking, and huge fan that keeps place reasonably cool. I will be back.
Go to Top of Page

Superabound666
- FB Fan -

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  06:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a comment on other posts -- in the year 2525 is the song he broke into during LA http://www.7517raremusiccds.com/servlet/the-100/zager%2C-evans%2C-year%2C-in%2C/Detail
I seem to remember him doing that before on something recorded i've heard/seen (as opposed to seeing it live) but can't recall for sure -- anybody know? Did any one comment on the bit of eagles cover he did? ... it seemed to be tongue in cheek but he played a little, paused, and played a little more. takin it easy was it? it was 1 of many times i said to myself wtf is he doing ...
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  06:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously, I'm scared to death to meet this man. If he snapped at me like that I might cry.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  07:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodney

Seriously, I'm scared to death to meet this man. If he snapped at me like that I might cry.

hehe. I just thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  07:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superabound666

a comment on other posts -- in the year 2525 is the song he broke into during LA http://www.7517raremusiccds.com/servlet/the-100/zager%2C-evans%2C-year%2C-in%2C/Detail
I seem to remember him doing that before on something recorded i've heard/seen (as opposed to seeing it live) but can't recall for sure -- anybody know? Did any one comment on the bit of eagles cover he did? ... it seemed to be tongue in cheek but he played a little, paused, and played a little more. takin it easy was it? it was 1 of many times i said to myself wtf is he doing ...

I remembered that too, but I thought that was on a different song?
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  09:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why would you think this is a "cool" way to treat your fans? An obvious brush off- he has all day to talk to his family.

If The Man is trying to guarantee himself a clear path to the bus every night, he's doing all the right things.
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, in my experience, "brief chats" are things which sometimes occur spontaneously near the bus after a show.

"Interviews" are things that require serious effort on the part of all concerned, and are generally requested and scheduled in advance at a time convenient for both parties.

Just a thought.

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

quote:

quote:

Why would you think this is a "cool" way to treat your fans? An obvious brush off- he has all day to talk to his family.

If The Man is trying to guarantee himself a clear path to the bus every night, he's doing all the right things.

I'm confused. Do you mean to say he's doing all the wrong things?
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

quote:

quote:

The funniest part is: His kids sure stay up late if he's calling at 12:30 on a Tuesday night! I can sympathize. Maybe the tour is making him tired or something, or possibly something about the show ticked him off.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000