Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  11:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd give the guy some space after playing a show.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  12:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely, fair enough.
Go to Top of Page

Born to Lose
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  12:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The entire set list:

Solo:
I Gotta Move
Wave of Mutilation
Song of the Shrimp
California Bound
Los Angeles

with Billy Block:
The Water
Cactus

with Eric Drew Feldman and Billy Block:
Headache

Full Band:
John the Revelator
Johnny Barleycorn
Bullet
Blue
Gyaneshwar
Horrible Day
I Burn Today
I'm Not Dead(I'm in Pittsburgh)
Raiderman
My Terrible Ways
Deadman's Curve
All My Ghosts
Livin' On Soul
All Around The World
Nadine
10 Percenter

Encore:
Sing For Joy

Seriously, one of the best shows I've been to. It was great to see him in such a personal setting!

EDIT: Should have read the first page! I was taking notes during the whole set so this should be right.

Edited by - Born to Lose on 10/18/2006 13:44:40
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  12:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lumpy

quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

quote:
Originally posted by lumpy

quote:
Originally posted by rodney

Seriously, I'm scared to death to meet this man. If he snapped at me like that I might cry.

hehe. I just thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Why would you think this is a "cool" way to treat your fans? An obvious brush off- he has all day to talk to his family.

If The Man is trying to guarantee himself a clear path to the bus every night, he's doing all the right things.

The funniest part is: His kids sure stay up late if he's calling at 12:30 on a Tuesday night! I can sympathize. Maybe the tour is making him tired or something, or possibly something about the show ticked him off.

Well if his kids live in Oregon it is probably a 3 hour time difference. They could be up at 9:30.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  13:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black is temperamental, and often surly. He always has been. Why is it always such a surprise? But it's that edginess -- the Dr. Jekyll, so to speak -- that makes the Mr. Hyde side so appealing. For me, it almost feels electric when he's chatty in a radio interview, or between songs in concert, because I expect the surly side.

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  14:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My comment was neither here, nor there. I was simply stating that if the guy wants some space after a show he is obviously doing the right thing by presenting himself as a little unapproachable. That's Frank's perogative. I'm not gonna sit here and talk shit about what he should or shouldn't do above and beyond writing and performing great music.

As far as what a fan wants, that's a different deal. I'm a fan. This is a site for fans. So, I feel like I can say what I feel. I want Frank to be happy. I want Frank to seem glad that I came to the show. I want to be able to meet him after the show and say, "hey man, you really make a difference" and then have him say "thanks stranger, that means alot." If a fan doesn't get what he needs from a certain artist, he can move on. If an artist says, "Hey, I'm not that kind of person", the fan can make his decision from that. I think alot of my attraction to Frank's music is the man himself. There he is, loading up the van. There he is, sitting at the bar having a beer. He seems so god damned regular, yet he writes the best music ever committed to tape. So, it kind of blows it for me when he really isn't that regular, approachable guy, as advertised in MY mind.

If anybody does, Charles Thompson deserves to be that guy getting shuttled, safely segregated from the hoards of fans, from hotel to limo to stage to limo to hotel, all fucking day and night with hot chicks feeding him fresh grapes in between. But that's not how it worked out. I like to be able to say "Hi, it's me. Love your music" without getting the rock star 'tude. That's what I love about the under-the-radar artists. So I must face it, Frank Black is a(somehow)under-the-radar artist that doesn't do the bear dance. This won't keep me from buying his music, but it will keep me away from the live experience. I appreciate the bear dance.
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  14:59:13  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, i went to the Atlanta show the night before and he seemed tired, almost sick maybe. He seemed to have a problem with his singing in one song and had to go for a water. Touring and pimpin aint easy.

the blues isn't an art-form, it's a product-- not unlike computer chips and tampons.
--dead milkmen
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're not all drunks. So, whatever.....

SP chattin it up w/ FB
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:09:43  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, i just realized the man himself just posted a few hours ago.
Well that shows you he is concerned about fan input to some degree, otherwise he wouldn't be checking up after shows. I think, though, that it's just as scary for Frank as it is for the fans when they confront him and...well it's always usually going to be an awkward situation. Unless it just landed the right way for me to be able to meet him, I would probably just nod my head and wave hoping that the look on my face would encourage him passing by. Maybe wishfull thinking.

the blues isn't an art-form, it's a product-- not unlike computer chips and tampons.
--dead milkmen
Go to Top of Page

Superabound666
- FB Fan -

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've met Frank 4 times and he's always been an ass in some way except once. He was super nice the first time I met him several hours before a show at the Cats craddle in Carrboro. He was unloading equipment and we spoke about the tour and he offered to let my buds take pictures of us.. which they did. I asked him if he wanted to go to dinner before the show with my crew but he passed saying he didnt eat right before shows. The other times he ranged from unnecesarily rude to totally uninterested in talking. Another show at the Cats craddle he was generously signing stuff afterwards and a guy had 4 pictures he wanted signed but Frank would only sign 3 ... just made the rule up right then and there. The guy was bummed but FB stuck to his limit. The time he and the rest of the band got really ugly was after another Carrboro show and I pulled up right where they were loading and took a flash picture ... i think they thought I was the media and they just ranked on me and told me not to take any more pictures etc. In Washington DC he spoke to me before a show but he insisted that I talk while we walked and he led me into the back stage area where I was thoroughly harassed by security which i think he knew would happen but still a cool experience. Frank had said I could take his picture so I assumed we were walking somewhere I could snap a few. In Vancouver he blew off everyone and went straight to the bus. They had not had a chance to do a sound check before the crowd got there and the show had to end by 8 I think for an already scheduled disco event so I think he was irked by the time pressures. A great show nonetheless - a bootleg was cut which I highly recommend http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/frank_black/tune_in__turn_on__black_out/
it was combined with a few tumes from another show and u cant go wrong with it if u dont already have it
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:26:02  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry that was a few minutes ago,....he posted.

--dead milkmen
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:42:18  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well said

--dead milkmen
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:46:00  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freedom rocker

I'm sorry that was a few minutes ago,....he posted.

well it's nearly the pumpkin hour here, so in my eyes you're right

(have a great show tonight, fB. i hope you're all having fun playing together)
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:50:09  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh i just gotta ask. (if you're still on) . This was my first show, it was great, but if you were to recomend a time and an era of your music that you would recomend someone to see their first show in, when would that have been. Now (it exceeded my expectations) or a different time....solo, catholics......?

Oh yeah and was reid paley pissed off at the crowd (atlanta) at first because he didn't get much response, especially when he paused? It was kind of a weird feeling.

--dead milkmen
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but doesn't being fondled fall under the category of "perk"?

Joking aside, that's all totally respectable. And for fans' sake, too, I think it's often best to avoid contact with the artists they admire. Like I've said on here before, the time I ran into Frank, I uttered something dumb and made a fool of myself. And others, like in this thread, have ended up having negative experiences -- disregarding whose fault that was. And that just left a bad taste in their mouth. Why not just enjoy the art and leave it at that? And hey, The Man himself is likely to appreciate that.

Uh, people invade other people's toilet space???

When do I get my first bee, damnit?

Edited by - coastline on 10/18/2006 15:53:59
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:54:57  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And some guy was being a jerk to reid in the middle of his set. Smart ass asked something about his guitar.

--dead milkmen
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You gotta think Frank has made more than a few better than decent points here, don'tcha? He's gone through this a hundred times a year for almost two decades. He's earned both our affection and the right to pick his moments. Thanks Frank for the more than reasonable perspective, and for the indulgence.

Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:28:57  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
God speed frank, god speed laundry man.

--dead milkmen

Edited by - freedom rocker on 10/18/2006 16:30:42
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to wash my favorite shirt
In downtown Marseilles
It’s got the same old dirt
From up in Calais, oh oh

How many days and weeks?
How many days and weeks?
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

sometimes a musican decides, 'hey, this space or time is mine, and i need to keep moving or else I'M GONNA GO CRAZY!'

I did Thurs/Fri/Sat for 3 years at this toilet in Seattle and I always made the after-the-show meet and greet part of my job. It was shocking, annoying, amazing, dangerous, wonderful, boring, and always the same questions over and over. But it was great for our attendance and I was always complimented for being approachable. I simply made the 1/2 hr after the show part of our set. Every artist is as different as every fan. So I guess that leaves me with one question- AC/DC Bon Scott era, or AC/DC Brian Johnson?
Go to Top of Page

Superabound666
- FB Fan -

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran accross this fitting article on the web
"Drunken Notes at the Frank Black Show, 4/25/97"
By Tom Painless @ http://iwhome.com/ComicNews/cols.html which seems to prove out 3 things. 1) People get drunk at FB shows. 2) &3) FB has altered Los Angeles before to include both 2525 and coming into los angeles. The excerpt follows -
wanna live in los angeleeze
not the one in south california
'they got one in south patagonia"
medleys into both
"in the year 2525"
by zager and evans
and "coming into los angeles"
by arlo guthrie
and back into his own song
what a guy!- end of excerpt.
For the record - im high at the shows and not drunk since im so safety conscious. and 1 last question - did he play some of coming into los angeles in Asheville? i only caught 2525 ... but i was really high at the time. btw, this is 1 fan that would not give FB a hard time about the solo carerr - i much prefer his solo work and wish he would paly it at pixies shows instead of the other way around. I travel to see the pixies also but its only because i cant see the master playing his best material. I saw the pixies reunion tour at Bumbershoot in Seattle and missed them when they were in Raleigh....arggg... but I did catch them at Duke before the break up ...

Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice.
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that. I should have conveyed more that it WAS a humorous thing and not you being a jerk. I completely understood. After months of touring, I know there can be no way somebody can ALWAYS have enough energy to do EVERYTHING! (By the way, I wasn't the annoying drunk guy in the cowboy hat but rather the 18-year-old kid who was simply getting a setlist and Oddballs CD signed.) I took no offense to it and completely understood. And thanks for signing my stuff!
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I got in the way of you calling your children too!
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Touring is tough. A good friend of mine spent a whole lot of time on the road, and it's practically driven him crazy more than once. I understood the situation, but it still makes me wary. Still, I REALLY want to get my CD signed!
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[ I should just stay away i suppose. but i can't help it. i'm curious about what people are saying, especially when it's about the music.

It's really cool that you post, Chuck. Besides, this way we can talk to you without feeling like pants-pissin' idiot fans and good for you because you won't have to smell our beer breath.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  17:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I'd just like to see you play in the UK!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Thing
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  19:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are on the west coast. 12:30 am for NC is 9:30pm here.

We were all supposed to be on this tour together but I opted to keep the kids home because it was too hard on Jack. So we're missing eachother terribly.

The whole idea that Charles should be pressing the flesh of the fans is a bit silly, isn't it? That's not rock n roll, that's politics! Or at least its Dolly Parton territory. He's not Willy Nelson!

Some people want Frank Black to rock hard, and be a tough motherfucker, but then they want this approachable teddy bear who makes them feel special. It's natural for one to feel like one knows Charles because they've seen his picture and heard his records, but he doesn't know anyone from Adam.

Have you ever been accosted by throngs of perfect strangers, all wanting to make a meaningful connection with you and express really heavy deep feelings with you on a street corner? Its a bit...weird.

And most people who are mobbing him after a show are drunk-orama and reeking of alcohol - I know this for a fact.

Have you ever been a designated driver and watched your friends get progressively more wasted and silly, and thought - wow, I cannot RELATE to you guys anymore? That's how Charles feels when drunk fans come up and start talking to him.

And if you got off a shift at work at 12:30am, you'd be aching for your bed, right?

We have to have realistic expectations here is all I'm saying. He is a grateful dude, but he's just a human being and its a real stretch that Charles is gonna be emotionally available at all times. He's just supposed to get on a stage and play, and that he does.

Love you guys, though.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  20:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Thing,

AC/DC Bon Scott, or AC/DC Brian Johnson?
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  20:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen, Ms. Thing. Excellent post. We fans love any and everything we have the chance to get from Charles. I'm just happy to have a show to see in such an intimate setting with the chance to be on the front row or at most 30 feet back. Heck, he could stop making records at any time or decide not to tour anymore. I believe most of us fans are simply grateful for this opportunity. And when we want to meet him, it is purely selfishness on our part and wanting to be recognized somehow as special for having an appreciation of something this man creates. Thanks for the perspective you provided about the drunk fans coming up to him: that perfectly described me last week Monday and made me embarassed for being such an ass!! Finally, thanks for sharing your husband, what with the new family and all...it truly is a pleasure for all of us!

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  20:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, this has been a wild read from early on. I gotta say that at the end of the Pixies tour in Kingston, NY on Oct.2, 2005, my buddy and I waited by a van for Frank to come out. I did not want anything from Frank. How could you want anything from someone who has given us so much? When Frank climbed into the van and waited for Kim, I got what I wanted----Which was to yell "Honeycomb rules!!!" in loud, Jersey way.
Go to Top of Page

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  21:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The few times I encoutered FB---once in 1992, the other time in 1996, and another time in 2001 (out of 12 concerts or so)---he seemed cordial but restrained. As in, "Sure, I'll say hi, but I'm on my way somewhere here, buddy." Never did it strike me as seeming rude, but as a tactic to avoid a potentially hazardous situation. And now, my suspicions have been confirmed. I can only imagine what kinds of crazy shit is spewed his way. "Hey, I'm your number one fan! Doesn't that mean anything to you?!? Can't you tell I'm your number one fan?!? Hey, sign my left ass cheek, would'ya?"

Now that I'm older the whole phenomenon of trying to meet one of your favorite artists strikes me as a little irrational. I can understand wanting to tell someone that his or her stuff means a lot to you, but beyond receiving a "Hey, thanks," what do you expect to happen? A drum circle with your shirts off? An ice cream social? An invitation to join the band? :)

Edited by - IceManCometh on 10/18/2006 21:57:40
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  21:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...i'm off to finish laundry and hopefully make it down to see reid's set tonight...

What kind of detergent did you use? Something that darkens those blacks that you are wearing hopefully.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  22:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and if you are still reading this topic... thank you so much for playing Asheville. It's my hometown and it was so great to see you there. Tom Waits was here in August so it has been a good concert year for me. And I saw Laurie Anderson tonight. Ok, that's it. Thanks again! Next time you play Asheville I'll treat you to a round at the local laundromat.
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  23:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Thing

Have you ever been accosted by throngs of perfect strangers

Did you say "thongs"? I'm sorry I'm drunk.

I love Frank Black.
and his family
including his kids.

punk rokc.

Thanks for touring, man.

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000