-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 Oct. 17, 2006 - Asheville, NC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lumpy Posted - 08/24/2006 : 08:57:47
Anyone heading to this show?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gyaneshwar Posted - 10/28/2006 : 18:33:24
OK - so the point is no one has any pictures to post. So here's another shot in the dark - did anyone record the show?
coastline Posted - 10/26/2006 : 12:01:45
I saw him right after you did. He was walkin' out of the restroom as I was walkin' in. He said to me, "There's a perfect explanation for the shit that I've been in."

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
gyaneshwar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 11:25:54
quote:
Originally posted by matto

quote:
Originally posted by gyaneshwar

On the Cult of Ray tour, The Man was using the urinal beside me at Cats Cradle in Carrboro, NC, and he nodded at me and whispered, "Do what you want, Gyaneshwar." I nodded back and promptly whizzed all over the wall. The name stuck.

that's funny! cuz he was pooping next to me and he said "solid gold"!

sminki pinki

He called the guy to the other side of him at the urinal "Hermaphroditos."

I never knew Frank's song titles were so ripe for potty humor.
matto Posted - 10/26/2006 : 10:58:30
quote:
Originally posted by gyaneshwar

On the Cult of Ray tour, The Man was using the urinal beside me at Cats Cradle in Carrboro, NC, and he nodded at me and whispered, "Do what you want, Gyaneshwar." I nodded back and promptly whizzed all over the wall. The name stuck.

that's funny! cuz he was pooping next to me and he said "solid gold"!

sminki pinki
gyaneshwar Posted - 10/26/2006 : 10:25:56

Nah - I'm an old Frank fan, but new to the forum.

So seriously - anybody got some pics?
lumpy Posted - 10/25/2006 : 21:37:19
either he's a fortune-teller or merely a newborn
Carl Posted - 10/25/2006 : 18:43:15
Ha ha, hi gyaneshwar-you young 'uns and your new-fangled names! ;)

gyaneshwar Posted - 10/25/2006 : 18:15:16
Anyone have any pictures from Asheville? I saw tons of folks snapping pictures, and not just with their phones.
ScottP Posted - 10/20/2006 : 18:06:28
I am glad this thread has gone silly. None of it meant a whole lot. Sorry FB if I raised your hackles. Ms. Thing, I didn't mean to send you into defendo mode. It's all love. Really.

My arms grew back, but as lobster pinchers. Great for slide. Never drop a pick. Hope to shake Axl's hand someday. Snip!
floop Posted - 10/20/2006 : 15:26:36
quote:
Originally posted by coastline
What's truly disingenuous is the "Would you like help out to your car with that?" when it's a plastic sack containing two pints of Ben and Jerry's. Now that is insulting.

at least he didn't say "need some help with that, fatty?"

at least that's what your mom said
speedy_m Posted - 10/20/2006 : 15:00:38
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Safeway is the worst for that... One more "Thank you Mr. Wilson" and I'm going to suggest that they charge the bill to "Mr. Wilson" as well. Oh, and Safeway brand products are terrible.

maybe I'll kick it

I'm fine with being called Mister. It's not insulting at all. It's an attempt to be formal and evoke earlier times. What's truly disingenuous is the "Would you like help out to your car with that?" when it's a plastic sack containing two pints of Ben and Jerry's. Now that is insulting.

I guess I should have been more clear. I don't mind being called "Mister". The issue is my last name is not Wilson. Apparently glancing at my credit card for .005 seconds doesn't allow enough time to read my last name as anything other than "Wilson".

maybe I'll kick it
hollomatt Posted - 10/20/2006 : 14:56:02
If his kids were on the west coast it would only be 8:30pm. Just a thought.
moksha23x Posted - 10/20/2006 : 14:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

Ha! How did you know that Lionel train smoke seeps from my stumps?

LOL.......Youre funny...Lionel Train Smoke?? lol
ScottP Posted - 10/20/2006 : 14:01:25
That's fuckin hilarious. Frank is a bear and everything. Ha! How did you know that Lionel train smoke seeps from my stumps?

I lost my arms in a tragic autograph seeking accident where Axl Rose rolled them up in the limo window and told the driver to gas it.
moksha23x Posted - 10/20/2006 : 13:32:31
Ok......first I'd like to iterate a disclaimer of sorts. I originated in the northeast and have a strong tendency towards sarcasm. I also come from a family of five...the oldest, and have a tendency to take everything too far....purely for entertainment value. So Scott P, I apologize this is just in fun now.....I'd also like to apologize to you Scott P. if you really have no arms (and to anyone with no arms) I'm not poking fun at that.....I am not that cold

Scott P.'s not asking much, this is all he wants (image below) :
coastline Posted - 10/20/2006 : 12:48:20
You need to know your rights, ScottP. In this country, you have the right to bear arms. (But you don't have the right arm bears.)

ScottP Posted - 10/20/2006 : 12:24:51
Being that I have no arms, I appreciate that too.
coastline Posted - 10/20/2006 : 11:40:54
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Safeway is the worst for that... One more "Thank you Mr. Wilson" and I'm going to suggest that they charge the bill to "Mr. Wilson" as well. Oh, and Safeway brand products are terrible.

maybe I'll kick it

I'm fine with being called Mister. It's not insulting at all. It's an attempt to be formal and evoke earlier times. What's truly disingenuous is the "Would you like help out to your car with that?" when it's a plastic sack containing two pints of Ben and Jerry's. Now that is insulting.

ScottP Posted - 10/20/2006 : 11:26:26
My example got pretty butchered. It's pretty obvious when some one is being sincere. And I appreciate it.
speedy_m Posted - 10/20/2006 : 10:31:34

maybe I'll kick it
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 10/20/2006 : 09:45:09
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:

quote:

quote:
Like if you go into Safeway and the checker says nothing. Your still gonna go back to Safeway. But, if the checker is friendly, you leave with a good feeling like, "hey, we're all just trying to get by and maybe this old world ain't so mean after all".

At my Safeway they make a point to look at every credit card receipt and say "Thank you Mr. X". They always fuck up my name. So, I prefer the quiet checker.

Dark, indeed. I love people. Even if they fuck my name up.

Well, not all of us do. So, perhaps don't be too surprised if we don't all display what you think is proper behavior.

I'm sorry, have I given an indication on what I consider proper behavior?

Isn't that what started this whole thing?

Personally, I don't really care if someone pretends to know me or reads my name off a credit card. The fact that they're trained to say "Thank you Mr. X" and don't engage in any other conversation that isn't prescripted is at the very least annoying. Having them screw up your name only underscores that the whole thing is a farce.

That said, a friendly teller that isn't dead inside or might show the least signs of interest in talking to the person on the other side of the cash register is definitely a good thing. Just don't give me this fake and prescripted routine that I don't buy.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Frog in the Sand Posted - 10/20/2006 : 09:13:42
You Americans have no savoir-vivre. Before chatting with the Man, we French fans never fail to give Him a bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape (not the one from California, the one from Francia), a piece of real cheese (forget your cheddar) and a fresh saucisson from Corsica. Not only because the Man is a gourmet, but also because such offerings are a true and obvious sign of respect and refinement. That's what the Man deserves, at least, and that's how things work or should work in the civilized world.

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
floop Posted - 10/19/2006 : 21:24:17
quote:
Originally posted by Superabound666

I ran accross this fitting article on the web
"Drunken Notes at the Frank Black Show, 4/25/97"
By Tom Painless @ http://iwhome.com/ComicNews/cols.html which seems to prove out 3 things. 1) People get drunk at FB shows. 2) &3) FB has altered Los Angeles before to include both 2525 and coming into los angeles. The excerpt follows -
wanna live in los angeleeze
not the one in south california
'they got one in south patagonia"
medleys into both
"in the year 2525"
by zager and evans
and "coming into los angeles"
by arlo guthrie
and back into his own song
what a guy!- end of excerpt.
For the record - im high at the shows and not drunk since im so safety conscious. and 1 last question - did he play some of coming into los angeles in Asheville? i only caught 2525 ... but i was really high at the time. btw, this is 1 fan that would not give FB a hard time about the solo carerr - i much prefer his solo work and wish he would paly it at pixies shows instead of the other way around. I travel to see the pixies also but its only because i cant see the master playing his best material. I saw the pixies reunion tour at Bumbershoot in Seattle and missed them when they were in Raleigh....arggg... but I did catch them at Duke before the break up ...

i remember a radio interview back in the day where Frank talked about the futuristic aspect of "Los Angeles" and said it was about a fictional, futuristic Los Angeles of the future. like the "one in 2525". or BLADE RUNNER

at least that's what your mom said
ScottP Posted - 10/19/2006 : 15:37:04
I stated clearly that these are things I want as a fan. Or, would wish for. Or, would just want to talk about. I never drew a line in the sand as to what is proper behavior.

If Frank started stabbing everyone who said hello to him in the stomach with a knife, then maybe we are talking about improper behavior. But other than that, its been nothing but superficial gab. Well,...to me anyway.
darwin Posted - 10/19/2006 : 15:23:18
quote:

Really? Starting with, "An obvious brush off- he has all day to talk to his family." And carrying on throughout the rest of thread.
moksha23x Posted - 10/19/2006 : 15:08:36
quote:
Originally posted by rodney

People who like signed cds like them because it's a permanent memory of a show and an encounter, though nearly always very brief, with an artist that they respect. In my study, I have signed record albums framed and hanging up, and a little shelf with my signed CDs. They're nice conversation pieces and nice souveniers of the shows that I got them signed at. If you don't understand that, or see the point in it, that's fine, but it's not hardly a new concept.

quote:
Originally posted by lumpy

Exactly! I'm just happy with my signed CD and setlist. What more can I ask for that's brought me some of the best music I've ever heard?

What more could you ask for?
Maybe a locket of his hair that you could put in some sort of pagan ceremonial brew or better yet create a Frank Black Bobblehead with Real Hair.......oh yeah he's bald why not a chunk of skin from his baldness.
What about like a pair of his socks from the night he played......great conversation piece anyway............People would be like "What's that stink" (I'm sorry if I'm insinuating anyone's feet may stink after they perform but mine certainly would.....shit they stink after I just watch a performance.)

If anyone's curious that's a Jack Kerouac doll (that I put FB's Head on) released by the Lowell Spinners (Lowell,MA my hometown and JK's, Spinners being the AA Baseball team)...He didn't go to ULowell (Jack Kerouac, that is) but he went to Lowell High and was a Damn good Football Player....he went on to play Division I at Columbia...and continued and evolved into a damn good writer
FB went to Umass but not UMass Lowell, ... he went to UMass Amherst and went on to become a damn good musician and writer
And they both somehow ended up meeting in this post in the form of a photoshopped Bobblehead doll....Who would've thought ??
ScottP Posted - 10/19/2006 : 14:35:39
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Like if you go into Safeway and the checker says nothing. Your still gonna go back to Safeway. But, if the checker is friendly, you leave with a good feeling like, "hey, we're all just trying to get by and maybe this old world ain't so mean after all".

At my Safeway they make a point to look at every credit card receipt and say "Thank you Mr. X". They always fuck up my name. So, I prefer the quiet checker.

Well, not all of us do. So, perhaps don't be too surprised if we don't all display what you think is proper behavior.

lumpy Posted - 10/19/2006 : 13:57:29
Exactly! I'm just happy with my signed CD and setlist. What more can I ask for that's brought me some of the best music I've ever heard?
rodney Posted - 10/19/2006 : 13:36:37
People who like signed cds like them because it's a permanent memory of a show and an encounter, though nearly always very brief, with an artist that they respect. In my study, I have signed record albums framed and hanging up, and a little shelf with my signed CDs. They're nice conversation pieces and nice souveniers of the shows that I got them signed at. If you don't understand that, or see the point in it, that's fine, but it's not hardly a new concept. I think one of the nicest things about this kind of music is that the people involved are just regular guys and gals and if there's time, they don't mind shaking your hand and signing something, and yes, even sometimes they'll go out a local watering hole for a drink with you.

Maybe they'll even invite you out on the road with them. It's happened before..........
darwin Posted - 10/19/2006 : 12:55:45
quote:

quote:

quote:

moksha23x Posted - 10/19/2006 : 12:45:48
quote:

quote:

quote:

"You Can't Ever change your mind,
No, You can't save the preacher's daughter..
and the Lord knows I've been tryin every day.
I will never get through to you,
ahh but honey if I do,
......I'll be SINGIN' ALL THE WAY
......I'll be SINGIN' ALL THE WAY"
ScottP Posted - 10/19/2006 : 12:37:25
quote:

quote:

darwin Posted - 10/19/2006 : 12:18:00
quote:

ScottP Posted - 10/19/2006 : 11:45:48
Extreme views on this subject!

What does the artist OWE ME??
Become FRIENDS with the artist??
Obsession?? Invited on tour?? What the Fuh..??

It's all about being friendly! Holy fuckoli! Being friendly if the artist decides to make himself accessible (as FB has) That's it! O Help me God and tiny diaper baby Jesus Christ make this go away! I'm no good at evil.
brentnc Posted - 10/19/2006 : 10:18:23
Frank the show was fantastic. Best I have seen all year.

I am not sure why folks think they have to meet or talk to artists they admire. For me i think it kills a little of the mystique an artist has when you meet them. They owe you nothing more than the show you paid to see. Do people think they will become friends with them? Do people think they will be invited to go on tour or something? I can understand maybe wanting some memorabilia signed or something but for me the music and the memories of the music is enough.

Funny story.... one time I went with my brother and his buddies to see a natalie merchant concert. My brothers best friends used to be absolutely obsessed with Natalie Merchant. Anyway my brothers friend dragged us and we found ourselves waiting by her tour buss to meet her LOL. My obsessive aquintance actually pulled a hair off of Natalie Merchants shoulder to keep!!!!!!

Anyway Frank I hope Asheville was kind to you and I sincerely hope that you play here again and keep us in mind next time you tour.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000