Oct. 24th, 2006 - Boston, MA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  02:35:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.avalonboston.com/

Tickets requests, pre-gig meetings, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  09:16:49  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to this! Anyone else?

http://prettycrabby.com
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  10:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its gonna be a birthday gift from my brother. Can't wait!

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  14:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there. With bells.
Go to Top of Page

liffey
- FB Fan -

36 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  03:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOLY CRAP people this show is going to be awesome. I was just at Philly the other day, and now this.
Go to Top of Page

cellar_door
- FB Fan -

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  08:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
big favor, can you guys make a point of letting me know how long the opening act is and what time FB gets on, and ends at ? Just trying to figure out timing for the next night in Montreal. Thanks guys :)

I was a hawk and I just flew...yeah
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  14:08:41  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oooo, I am so excited.

The time might be slightly different for this because at 11, Avalon turns into a dance club so I know the shows HAVE TO end by then. But I will try to keep your query in mind, Cellar Door!

Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  14:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The show says 8. I would expect that doors open at 7. Reid Paley at 8. Frank and the boys at 9, right?

I'm getting old. I can't be out on school nights anymore, ya know?

I'm really looking forward to this. It looks like I'm going to have an extra ticket, so I'll just have to grab someone in line and give them a deal.

It also looks like the solo opening portion of the show is now a regular occurance, no?
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  15:47:24  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about the late nights, but I figure, 'hey, home by 11:30!' And that excites me. I'm a nerd.

Hope to see you there! I am going to claim my usual Avalon spot on the left of the stage.

Go to Top of Page

cellar_door
- FB Fan -

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  15:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx mrgrieves, just keep me posted :)

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  16:32:07  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI ALL, The Show is now at Axis not Avalon - see below in a message from Ticketmaster!

Hello, this is Ticketmaster Customer Service with an important alert for
your upcoming event. Frank Black scheduled at Avalon Theatre on Tuesday,
October 24, 2006, at 8:00pm, has changed to a new venue. The event will
now take place at the Axis, directly next door to Avalon, same time &
date. Original tickets will be honored for the new venue.

Go to Top of Page

ATBNG
- FB Fan -

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  17:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad sign for ticket sales; on the plus side, it's a more intimate venue for the true believers.

I'm so psyched - I can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  22:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen plenty of shows at the Avalon, but have never been to Axis.

Hope the sound setup/acoustics for a live band at the latter are decent.

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 10/23/2006 23:00:11
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  06:16:13  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a little bummed cause I like Avalon a lot (I can always get a good spot and see what is going on, even as a short girl!) but I'll take what I can get!
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  14:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spoke to Axis. Reid Paley at 8. Frank Black at 9:15. Show is all over by 10:30.
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  05:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shorter set than other dates on this tour I guess?

Any updates? setlist anyone?
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  06:19:02  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it ended closer to 11. I wore my new awesome boots which looked great but were killing me by the end. Stupid move.

Anyway, was all awesome of course. I don't know the setlist - I could probably come up with it if given time but I will wait and see if someone else has it in order. Personal highlights were; Ten Percenter, I Gotta Move, California Bound, Headache, (which my boyfriend loves and he'd never seen Frank before, so THAT was also a highlight for me!).

I'll have to write more later!

Viva Frank!!

Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  06:24:19  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know one guy in the front REALLY liked California Bound!

-miked
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  07:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a copy of the setlist from the soundboard. I can convert it to PDF format here at work, but I have no idea how to uplink it here.

I'll try my best with the solo acoustic portion. Not sure of order or all songs played. Anyone help me out with what I'm missing?

Solo:
Los Angeles (aborted because lights were too bright in his face)
I've Gotta Move (aborted because of amp problems)
Cactus
Holiday Song
Two Reelers
California Bound
Song of the Shrimp
My Life in Storage
The Water

With Band (correct and in order)
Remake Remodel
Livin on Soul
Dead Man's Curve
Gynswar (What you want)
Bullet
I'll Be Blue
Raider Man
10%
My Terrible Ways
Horrible Day
Suffering
Johnny Barleycorn
All My Ghosts
I Burn Today
Headache
Pittsburgh
That Burnt Out Rock N Roll
All Around the World
Nadine
Sing for Joy

Frank came on at 9:15 and he and the band got off at around 11:10 or so.

Great show. As always.
Go to Top of Page

cellar_door
- FB Fan -

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  07:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for giving me an idea of the time length guys. ahah I'll be racing for the 11:59 bus tonight given that they hit the stage at 9 in Montreal.

Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  06:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNews/view.bg?articleid=164124

Frank Black white-hot in intimate gig
By Christopher Blagg
Thursday, October 26, 2006

For a bona fide rock icon such as Frank Black, getting bumped to a smaller venue at the last moment has got to feel like a slap in the face. For his fans it was an unexpected boon, a chance to see the head Pixie up close and personal.

Since Boston is Black’s hometown, the shift of Tuesday’s show from the much larger Avalon to Axis must have stung. But Black betrayed no bitterness to the devoted audience jammed into the venue, and the close quarters and resulting crowd interaction made for a memorably visceral performance.

Beginning with a miniset of solo acoustic tunes, the veteran rocker charged through a handful of songs from his catalog, including the dark, southwestern-tinged ‘‘Cactus” (a nugget from his Pixies days). Taking an extremely informal approach during his solo acoustic set, Black started and stopped tunes haphazardly, giving fans a chance to delve into his brilliant oddball lyrics. But nothing Black sang was more bizarre than his cover of ‘‘Song of the Shrimp,” an obscure Elvis Presley number from the movie ‘‘Girls! Girls! Girls!”

A three-piece band including veterans Duane Jarvis and Eric Drew Feldman joined Black for the remainder of the night and constantly teetered between precision and chaos. A garage-punk cover of Roxy Music’s ‘‘Re-Make/Re-Model” launched a string of relentless stompers including the demonic pub rocker ‘‘Six Sixty Six” and the chugging Americana of ‘‘Bullet.”

Ostensibly touring in support of his new double album, ‘‘Fast Man Raider Man,” Black didn’t mention the CD and didn’t play a cut from it until three-quarters through the set. The excellent slide-guitar-pealing ‘‘Raider Man,” which Black dedicated to his fourth-grade teacher, was the first of the new tunes, followed later by the artfully messy woe-is-me ballad ‘‘My Terrible Ways.”

Black took on his critics soon after, telling the crowd in a deadpan drawl, ‘‘There are those that say I can’t play the country rock. They are right. However, I will still play the country rock.”

Any doubts about his new rootsy direction were laid to rest as he and his band energetically stumbled through the fantastically drunken country rocker ‘‘Horrible Day.” A few tunes later, Black returned to his Nashville leanings with the gorgeous country folk song ‘‘I Burn Today.”

Perhaps his recent love affair with honky-tonk was responsible for the shift to a smaller venue, but Black deserves to do whatever tickles his musical fancy.

Reid Paley’s bitter and slightly hostile opening set offered some interesting songwriting, even if it sounded cribbed from Tom Waits. But there’s no escaping his irritating baritone.

Frank Black, With Reid Paley. At Axis, Tuesday night.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  08:12:08  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is an okay review.

I would have liked to hear more from the new record - for example, If Your Poison Gets You. I love that song and think it would be awesome live. Also, too many covers, I was wishing for more FRANK stuff, Catholics, new, whatever. But all that said, it was still a great show for me.

And I think The Water is a super sexy sultry song. Loved it.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  08:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expect that 'Elijah' and 'Where the Wind is Going' should work well live.
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  14:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was poor ticket sales really the reason that this was switched from Avalon to Axis?

I did my best as Frank Black Promoter (I've graciously accepted this self-appointed position which is unpaid due to an enormous debt I have accumulated by listening, leaning on, using for inspiration etc etc. the art of CMKT IV for 20 years) anyway I made sure I called all my old friends.......who I rarely talk to anymore (it was a good excuse to call home) point is I was calling Boston from CA to remind old friends , that FB was coming to town And his new shit rocks and you gotta go see him in his hometown and told them they gotta go and shit I'm likely to fly there.......

So what? Poor sales at the Avalon?? Was the Axis full or did it sell out???
Are the Axis and the Avalon that different in size????

Poor sales....?? Bad advertising or something?? I don't understand

To me Everytime the Red Sox come to play Oakland I go see them and its funny because there are so many Boston Transplants in the Bay Area that I feel like I'm back home for a second.
FB is like that in a way for me and even though him and his art has grown and morphed into something much larger in the big picture and my life's scope...... FB still reminds me of old friends and Boston......

I don't even know where I'm going with this.....but someone please address the question at hand....

Was there really Poor Ticket Sales at the Avalon? (that caused change to axis?)
Are the Avalon and Axis that different in Size?
Did the Axis sell out?
Who Promoted this show...did they do a shitty job or something?

Edited by - moksha23x on 10/26/2006 15:11:42
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  14:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Honestly, while the Axis is a smaller venue, people were really packed in there; it wasn't a pathetic looking crowd at all. Quite full.

I don't think I've ever seen anything live as powerful as that barnstorming stretch from "Re-make/Re-model" through "Bullet". Holy crap, that was unwordly! I think it really shut up anyone who was there just to hear Frank belt out "Mr. Grieves" and "Cactus", because they finally saw that the man's solo stuff can be just as powerful.

I have to say: I will never, ever forgive the roadie who was screwing around with the cables and caused the distortion during the start of "I Gotta Move". That's a song I never thought I'd ever hear live; and when it actually happens, it's aborted and Frank just goes into "Cactus", which I've heard live plenty. Nertz to that.

Oh well. The beautiful solo acoustic version of "My Life Is in Storage" made up for it.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  15:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apesy

I have to say: I will never, ever forgive the roadie who was screwing around with the cables and caused the distortion during the start of "I Gotta Move". That's a song I never thought I'd ever hear live; and when it actually happens, it's aborted and Frank just goes into "Cactus", which I've heard live plenty. Nertz to that.
-=Apesy

Go Figure

No More Free Alcohol for that roadie......

Edited by - moksha23x on 10/26/2006 15:08:26
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  12:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNews/view.bg?articleid=164124

Frank Black white-hot in intimate gig
By Christopher Blagg
Thursday, October 26, 2006

For a bona fide rock icon such as Frank Black, getting bumped to a smaller venue at the last moment has got to feel like a slap in the face. For his fans it was an unexpected boon, a chance to see the head Pixie up close and personal.

Since Boston is Black’s hometown, the shift of Tuesday’s show from the much larger Avalon to Axis must have stung. But Black betrayed no bitterness to the devoted audience jammed into the venue, and the close quarters and resulting crowd interaction made for a memorably visceral performance.
Good for the Herald, conservative antidote to the Globe, for even knowing Frank exists, but wrong to think the Man would be "stung" or "bitter". Frank understands energy and knows that the smaller the space, the better the party, or explosion. It's not about ticket sales. It's never been about sales, or ego. If you build it, the people will come.

Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  12:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly. I actually thought he was in a great mood. Not stung at all.
Go to Top of Page

hermit in a shell
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  08:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
his take of 666 that night was one of the best single song performances I've ever seen him do with any of his bands during my entire concert going lifetime: 1989 to present.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000