Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  16:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good to me. Obfuscate, what are your server stats? Namely, bandwidth, space? I just took a look at my personal server and I don't have room to do all the podcasts and keep them there. I could do a rotating three or four, just drop the oldest ones as I add new ones after that, but it might be nice to have them all somewhere for a while.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  16:57:41  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last time I said I'd set aside 6GB.

bandwidth throttled at 180GB for the swap.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  16:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a new Catholics CD? what are you guys talking about?

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  17:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, so you can host the files and I'll keep the podcast feeds on my site so I can edit them easily...

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  17:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the jazz band The Catholics, Kiki

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  22:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's just a self-titled one. I suppose "new" might not have been the best word, but it's one I had not seen before.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  23:29:05  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool. I hope I'll have 1) time to do it and 2) tracks to put on it.
I like the "genre-specific" swaps, as we called it last time. It was great, despite the trouble we had with CDs getting lost in the mail and people bailing out.
One mix every week sounds good.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  23:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what's the order for delivering mixes?
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  00:50:40  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with the conditions, sounds good to me.

I've got some specific questions (please ignore my ignorance of the cd-swap thing):

- What's the limit of tracks/total length per mix?
- Does the mix needs to be "coherent" in terms of musical "genres" or in the general theme chosen?
- Do we have to make a cover for our respective mixes?

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:20:45  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remig

what's the order for delivering mixes?

I will randomly devise an order later today.

quote:
Originally posted by cassandra is

I agree with the conditions, sounds good to me.

I've got some specific questions (please ignore my ignorance of the cd-swap thing):

- What's the limit of tracks/total length per mix?
- Does the mix needs to be "coherent" in terms of musical "genres" or in the general theme chosen?
- Do we have to make a cover for our respective mixes?

pas de bras pas de chocolat

I would say try and keep the actual track-times around a regular cd (or if brave, 2 cds), but if you are podcasting, the podcast can be as long as you like.

Your mix can have a theme if you want, but it is not necessary

A cover would be nice, but is not necessary

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:21:55  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Liner notes are cool though (at the very least a tracklisting)

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Water

It's just a self-titled one. I suppose "new" might not have been the best word, but it's one I had not seen before.

Nothing is ever something.

I believe that is their first album. I have "Simple" and "Life on Earth" - so basically, i am jealous.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say podcasts should probably have a limit, too, maybe CD length (80 mins)?

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, i feel that if you are doing a podcast, you shouldn't get short-changed on how much music you could do - like, if i do a cd and you do a podcast, i'm going to be able to put a few more songs b/c there is no talking on a cd. so maybe we can just add 15 minutes to a cd length, so people can be creative in both their song choices and in their 'presentation'?

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm ready. how do i proceed?

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
slow down there maple syrup mama! would you like to go first? if so, i'll only randomly order the others

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure, i can go first but i still don't understand how we are going. ftp, yousendit, podcast? name our poison!

(last night i made maple-syrup-sweetened hot cocoa and let me tell you it was delish!)

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  06:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, i believe that the podcasting is optional - so if you want to podcast, Deaner will be here later to show us all how. As for FTP/you send it, that should be decided later today as well.

I was thinking Kiki, if you make the move across the border, you can effectively be on both sides of the maple syrup argument...

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  07:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yah, i've thought that, too. it'll be so schizophrenic, won't it? at least i am sure of which government i prefer.

i might await deaner's podcasting instructions, so everybody else can hear how i sound like i'm 12.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  07:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The podcasts will still need to be FTP'd, hopefully to Obfuscate's server.

My 12-step guide to podcasting:

1) Have a two-track or better recording program. You can get Audacity for free, it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

2) Have a microphone you can plug into your computer's "Mic" input. If you don't, you can get them really cheap anywhere. I recommend Labtec, it's $15 which is more expensive than some of the $5 ones, but you get surprisingly good sound out of it.

3) Select your tracks.
4) Decide what you want to say and where.
5) Record yourself saying those various things. Edit as necessary.
6) Using your two-tracks (I like four personally, that way I have one track that's always voice, two for crossfading music, and one more for any sound effects or whatever that may come up), plug in your voice recordings and music in the correct order.
7) Do any crossfading that you may want by having tracks overlap with each other.
8) Save the mix/mixdown to an MP3, 128kbps.
9) Send that MP3 to me or Obfuscate. I will need a copy of it in either case.
10) Send me your MP3's tracklist, a brief description, and if you want, a title for your mix.
11) Dean does some stuff.
12) Podcast!

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  07:36:30  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and don't forget folks to also, when you upload your mix to still make a folder of mp3s...

thanks Dean!

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  07:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, more bits of business:

1) Podcasts cannot exceed 90 minutes (80 minutes of music, 10 minutes of talking/presentation)
2) Uploads should be done no later than Wednesday of your week
3) Scott, can you give a brief tutorial on uploading to FTP?
4) Dean, what exactly is the "Dean does some stuff" step - i feel bad that you have to deal w/ everyone's podcast.
5) If you switch with someone in the uploading order, please post it here so that i can change the order for our records.

and the order is... (picked out of my black 2001 NY Mets hat)

Week 1 (Upload by April 7) - Kathryn
Week 2 (Upload by April 14) - Cult of Frank
Week 3 (Upload by April 21) - Remig
Week 4 (Upload by April 28) - Broken Face
Week 5 (Upload by May 5) - Vilainde
Week 6 (Upload by May 12) - Zub The Goat
Week 7 (Upload by May 19) - Crispy Water
Week 8 (Upload by May 26) - Llamadance
Week 9 (Upload by June 2) - Starmekitten
Week 10 (Upload by June 9) - Obfuscate By Will
Week 11 (Upload by June 16) - Cassandra Is
Week 12 (Upload by June 23) - Cheeseman1000

-Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 04/25/2006 05:53:56
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  08:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as everyone sends me the info I need, all I should have to do is take it, put it into a format like this and save the file on my server. No problem.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  08:11:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of course, if people wanted to send me something like THIS for their podcast, I wouldn't object:

<item>
<title>Episode #3</title>
<description>Dean promises the best podcast ever, but will it turn out to be a broken promise? Yes. Still, this week we're giving away an Oddballs CD to one lucky listener (as well as playing a track from Oddballs), we have another exclusive preview from the second disc of the upcoming Fastman Raiderman, our first ever Frank Black-to-Back section comparing two versions of Humboldt County Massacre, tracks from the I Don't Want To Hurt You EP, a really rare acoustic version of Velouria, and a track from the FrankBlack.Net salon. I Don't Want To Hurt You EP - Village of the Sun (Live) I Don't Want To Hurt You EP - The Last Stand of Shazeb Andleeb (Live) Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day - Humboldt County Massacre One More Road for the Hit - Humboldt County Massacre Surface Noise - Destination Home Oddballs - Man of Steel Belgian Radio, 2003 - Velouria Dog in the Sand - Llano Del Rio Fastman Raiderman - Where the Wind Is Going</description>

<link>http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/Default.asp?mode=episodes</link>
<pubDate>Wed, 15 Mar 2006 00:07:07 CST</pubDate>
<enclosure url="http://www.asterid.com/fbpodcast/FBPodcast03.mp3" length="44672825" type="audio/mpeg" />

<itunes:subtitle>Music from Frank Black, both released and rare, spanning his entire career.</itunes:subtitle>
<itunes:author>FrankBlack.Net</itunes:author>
<itunes:summary>Our third podcast, with another exclusive track from Fastman Raiderman, a chance to win an Oddballs CD, some live tracks from the I Don't Want To Hurt You EP, a selection from the FrankBlack.Net Salon, a rare acoustic version of Velouria, and back-to-back comparisons of two versions of Humboldt County Massacre.</itunes:summary>
<itunes:image href="http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/cover.jpg" />
<itunes:keywords>Frank Black, frankblack.net, podcast, live, music, Catholics, Pixies, indie, rock</itunes:keywords>
<itunes:duration>00:46:29</itunes:duration>
<guid>http://www.asterid.com/fbpodcast/FBPodcast03.mp3</guid>
</item>

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:05:24  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, blink and a cd swap turns into a podcast...

Podcast? maybe, I'm not sure I like the idea of people laughing at my brummie-ish accent, I have some time to think on this though.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yoroit lov? Yowl coom froom Buuuuuurminum? Fansee a kipper tie?

It's not funny people, it's rude to make fun of voices.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:16:01  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We can only hope yours has properly broken by the time it's your turn
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm starting to like the idea of a podcast, but i have to put my own slant on it, so this might be weird folks...

and for the record, Dean and i put out voices out there twice a month to be ridiculed, so you all should get a one-time ridiculing also, and to a much smaller audience mind you.

-Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 03/30/2006 10:19:54
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine is fairly easy to ridicule, to be fair, although it's probably not for the reason Tre gives. If you understand what I mean when I say Tim-Nice-But-Dim...

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can confidently predict you won't be able to understand a word I say.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  12:11:31  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would non participating forum members be allowed to download the podcasts?
I'd love to listen to the mix cds.

wilhelm

Edited by - offerw on 03/30/2006 12:13:19
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  12:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No reason why not. That was kind of one reason I had for coming up with the idea...

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  12:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you really want to hear us french? people we'll forget making fun of you.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  13:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your call, I'd say. There's three French mixers, so they'll like it. I could give it a whirl but likely would fail. I need gestures and context to decently understand French...

Your English is fine, I'm sure, so you could always brave it. :)

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  13:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, Dean, I just aboot need text translation of your portions of your and Brian's podcasts.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000